Detailed explanation of the Overrun Mechanic Request

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I can tell there are two similar conditions, checked hourly, each of which can cause an overrun:
  • condition 1: a division gets overrun if
    • it is retreating from province A to B
    • and there are non-retreating enemy divisions in both A and B
    • and B belongs to a different country OR there are no "friendly"* non-retreating units there
  • condition 2: a division gets overrun if
    • and both A and B are controlled by enemy countries
Destroying divisions in an encirclement ("shattering", see define XP_GAIN_FOR_SHATTERING) is slightly different than overrunning.

* friendly here means same country, same faction, subject/overlord, or military access. Note that e.g. paratroopers can cause friendly and enemy non-retreating units to be present simultaneously in a province. Faction members, subjects etc. may not even be in the same war.
Based on this, a simple move into A should not result in an overrun, but we do see overruns happen despite that. Maybe it is bugged?

I have also seen these conditions met, and it resulting in a combat rather than an overrun.

More over, do you know that air superiority slows down enemy units? This way you can catch up to enemy divisions and overrun them even if you're using only infantry. Especially if it's either enemy infantry or low supply/no fuel enemy vehicle divisions.
I am aware, but this still implies the infantry should be reaching the retreat province before the retreating unit. That can happen, but I've also observed overruns without it happening, many times. I wouldn't think it was odd if their stuff was moving at 1 kph and I simply moved into the next province sooner.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Ok people.

Time for a challenge.

In this video there is a situation which should have resulted in an overrun according to @bitmode 's conditions quoted below:

As far as I can tell there are two similar conditions, checked hourly, each of which can cause an overrun:
  • condition 1: a division gets overrun if
    • and there are non-retreating enemy divisions in both A and B
    • and B belongs to a different country OR there are no "friendly"* non-retreating units there
  • condition 2: a division gets overrun if
    • and both A and B are controlled by enemy countries
Destroying divisions in an encirclement ("shattering", see define XP_GAIN_FOR_SHATTERING) is slightly different than overrunning.

* friendly here means same country, same faction, subject/overlord, or military access. Note that e.g. paratroopers can cause friendly and enemy non-retreating units to be present simultaneously in a province. Faction members, subjects etc. may not even be in the same war.

It's time coded, the situation starts at 2 hours 57 mins 50 seconds if you want to watch yourself.

1664131067842.png

If you can't watch for some reason, above's a depiction of the situation and explanations are below:

#1 is an allied tank,
#2 are axis tanks,
#3 is an axis infantry.

What happens is:

#1 tank is involved with an attack against #2 tanks and wins.
#2 tanks start retreating to Marsa Matruh.
#1 tank follows it there.
#1 tank gets attacked by #3 infantry while on its way.
#1 wins that, and keeps moving to Marsa Matruh.

So far, so good.

When #1 tank arrives in Marsa Matruh, this doesn't result in #2 tanks being overrun.
Instead, it gets attacked by the retreating #2 tanks, loses that battle, gets destroyed itself.

WHAT?

Does anyone have any explanation or insight about that?

Further notes:
The #2 tanks are part of volunteer divisions sent by Spain to an axis country (don't know which one).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ok people.

Time for a challenge.

In this video there is a situation which should have resulted in an overrun according to @bitmode 's conditions quoted below:

It's time coded, the situation starts at 2 hours 57 mins 50 seconds if you want to watch yourself.

View attachment 881543

If you can't watch for some reason, above's a depiction of the situation and explanations are below:

#1 is an allied tank,
#2 are axis tanks,
#3 is an axis infantry.

What happens is:

#1 tank is involved with an attack against #2 tanks and wins.
#2 tanks start retreating to Marsa Matruh.
#1 tank follows it there.
#1 tank gets attacked by #3 infantry while on its way.
#1 wins that, and keeps moving to Marsa Matruh.

So far, so good.

When #1 tank arrives in Marsa Matruh, this doesn't result in #2 tanks being overrun.
Instead, it gets attacked by the retreating #2 tanks, loses that battle, gets destroyed itself.

WHAT?

Does anyone have any explanation or insight about that?

Further notes:
The #2 tanks are part of volunteer divisions sent by Spain to an axis country (don't know which one).
Ok, I'll bite. The two major complications here are sequencing and the retreating state. There are situations that can cause units to leave the retreating state while still moving[*]. And the game is not like a well-designed set of mathematical rules. Even within a single tick, the side effects of some rules can influence the inputs of other rules.
In this case, when the Allied tank arrives in Marsa Matruh, there are enemy divisions in the retreat target province but not in the origin anymore. This not only causes condition #1 to not be fulfilled, but also causes the Axis tank to leave the retreat state and start an attack. Condition #2 then fails because the unit is not retreating anymore at the point of it being checked.

*edit: actually this might be the only one

Last edited:
Reactions:
Please do not necro threads, please start a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.