• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I thought about it, and if I thought that the BV 155 could have actually worked as a carrier fighter, I might have used it. I'm trying to figure out what else might go on as far as all of these other developments. Glad to provide a good update!
Hmm BV155 is one that's not well suited for that role. Developed for high altitude interception of strategic bombers it has big wings with nearly no sweep that'll make it slow and unmaneuverable against other carrier wings. Maybe for future development you can consider my suggestions :)

Germany should certainly be bankrupt by now and crawling with Soviets. The reason they launched the war when they did was because they had to. Time favoured literally everyone but them. Not sure Italy is in as dire circumstances but they should be struggling for cash and resources too. And japan don't have the steel to build more stuff...

In Italy, the lack of focus on producing more Italian designs had caused something of a political stir, but the funding was not diverted or removed from the airframes already procured. The first three wings of the Bf 109-i (modified from the traditional German version with the replacement of the Rheinmetall-Borsig 13mm MG 131s for the Breda-SAFAT 12.7mm machine guns and Italian radios) were received over the course of several months.
A political stir?! The utter rejection of two decades of policy on Autarchy, internal development and Corporatism is a bit more than a stir.

Also, of all the bits to substitute, why Italian made radios? Italian pilots tended to strip them out the fighter in the early war because they (a) needed constant attention to stay in tune and(b) didn't work even when tuned.

Goering had been fuming for years over the loss of some of the focus on aviation, but had developed a bit of a magnanimous view
Who is this man and what has he done with the real Göering? Is this not Herman but his less drug addicted brother Albert?

Also why is that Fw190 shown succesfully launching a torpedo when it should have failed to launch, then fallen off unexpectedly, causing the aircraft to veer off wildly before cartwheeling into the sea?

The cost of these battleships far exceeded their usefulness as for much of the war
the Royal Navy’s focus was on Germany.
That many ships also far exceeded the capacity of the gun pits, armour plate production, fire-control and optics grinding, turbine mills and indeed steel capacity of Italy.
DYAEiOu.gif

Should be. But the war came in its own time, and thus we have large formations of things to try and keep the economy chugging along... or something. I'm sure @El Pip would have some better idea of the actual ramifications of the near constant expansion. What I've done in my current save is that I basically forced all of the Axis majors back to Full Mobilization as a penalty to cover the "Your economy has been running this hard for a year now, you have no money left to carry on as you have been."
Well as you asked;

This level of German production means the war factories are getting priority, so the export firms are getting no steel (or anything else). Which raises the question how the hell are the Germans paying for the imports of iron ore, rubber, chromium and all the other thing they lack (which is essentially everything)?

At this point no-one is taking Reichsmarks, let along Askimarks, as everyone knows they are worthless and the German exchange-control system makes them impossible to spend, plus as mentioned the export firms aren't making anything so there is nothing to buy. The gold has long since gone and surely no-one sane is offering credit. There can be no tech left to ship to Stalin and given that in OTL he was asking for the Bismark for the next trade (and Germany was behind in it's payments) I can't see the Soviet Union providing anything. Stalin will start asking for debts to be cleared, and Germany can't do that, so either the trade stops or the Kreigsmarine starts sailing for Leningrad and it's new owners.

The one bright spot could be the synthetic oil and rubber plants, but they are only bright because they are on fire - OTL it only got full production of the pre-war plants in 1944, any faster and they will be inefficient, exploding death traps (and they were ridiculously unsafe in OTL). Even if they are somehow working that just exposes the fact Germany doesn't have the coal production to run those plants and the steel industry at the same time. I genuinely don't see how Germany is importing anything at this point, at which point the economy implodes

Internally, well MEFO is long overdue for repayment (and there is nothing to repay them with) and without the wartime fiscal repression and rationing inflation will have gone through the roof, not full Weimar but heading that way.

Germany has at this point run out of everything. Absolutely everything. The country couldn't even feed itself in peace time and relied on massive imports of feed for the national pig herd, which as discussed they can't afford, so they are probably even running short on Bratwurst and starting to starve. It is a relentless economic and financial horror show from every direction.

Italy is, if possible, in a worse place industrially as it doesn't even have coal, but on the plus side they won't be starving. Japan is probably the best of the lot as long as their is no banking embargo (a different thing from the oil embargo), they had fairly chunky gold and foreign currency reserves even when war broke out. Finger in the air guess,they can keep buying the iron/oil/etc they need till the mid-1940s. Of course they are red-lining the economy and printing money to pay the bills, the war hid that problem quite nicely for them but without it things will be on a knife edge.

In Italy, the lack of focus on producing more Italian designs had caused something of a political stir,

"a political stir" should be an understatement. I mean, not only its against the corporatist national building ideals of 3rd Alternative ideologies world wide, its even worse for Italian Fascist movement.

Also, of all the bits to substitute, why Italian made radios? Italian pilots tended to strip them out the fighter in the early war because they (a) needed constant attention to stay in tune and(b) didn't work even when tuned.

Aren't Italian Radios in the planes in WW2 era considered to be among the worst among all combatants? I've heard that those things are real special case of dysfunctional.

Not sure Italy is in as dire circumstances but they should be struggling for cash and resources too. And japan don't have the steel to build more stuff...

well, if we use even slight parts of historical Italy's economy, its struggling more for cash and industrial efficiency, rather than purely by resources, It does lack Resources as well though. but its lessened by the fact that Italy just can't use as much. (either way its bad)

Aren't Italian Radios in the planes in WW2 era considered to be among the worst among all combatants? I've heard that those things are real special case of dysfunctional.
They were very awful in many ways. The Italians copied US designed valves for their radios, but they didn't copy them very well and the tolerances were terrible. So radios were hard to tune and harder to keep in tune - changes in temperature and vibration could cause the radio to lose tune, but who ever heard of a fighter experiencing vibration or a change in outside air temperature? Plus dodgy batteries, hard to use controls, etc.

All the Italian aircraft radios were fairly short range (~20miles) because they stuck with High Frequency, but then so did the Germans till 1943. In fairness neither country really thought it needed to control fighters at long range, the RAF was a bit unique in having a fighter doctrine that required long range comms and so the push for 100mile+ VHF sets.

A political stir?! The utter rejection of two decades of policy on Autarchy, internal development and Corporatism is a bit more than a stir.

To be fair, the entire population of the axis nations were taken over by alien brain slugs at the begining of the AAR.

Can confirm this is still true to an extent. Especially in cars.

Who is this man and what has he done with the real Göering? Is this not Herman but his less drug addicted brother Albert?

Albert was an outsider nazi, given that he had the annoying habit of hiding jews in his house. I mean, maybe he was good at running a ministry but unless the brain slugs got everyone, I can't see him rising that high.

Also why is that Fw190 shown succesfully launching a torpedo when it should have failed to launch, then fallen off unexpectedly, causing the aircraft to veer off wildly b

I am similarly astounded anyone thought attaching an explosive the size of the plane onto the undercarrige was a good idea. Especially because there's only room for one.

Germany has at this point run out of everything. Absolutely everything.

Quite a change from many HOI games featuring facism playthroughs. Instead of glorification, they get tortured slowly to death under their own power without hurting anyone else.

Kinda underlines how screwed they were in real life too, doesn't it?

Both an interesting update and then all the commentary afterwards, whether about Italian radios, fantasy torpedoes or the Nazi/Fascist economic maelstrom of dysfunction! :D

It’s a good thing HOI3 and AARs based on it have an abundance of the most important but seldom mentioned Rare Material resource of all: magical fairy dust. In this ATL, as in most, abundant stocks of this vital product are held in heavily guarded bunkers in each of the Axis capitals. It can be used on everything from military hardware to economic processes. Without it, the war machines would have collapsed under their own weight three years ago, at least! ;)

Yeah...in this universe only minor nations have supply issues. It's a wonder why the major powers fight at all in HOI3. Not much reason to really.

Albert was an outsider nazi, given that he had the annoying habit of hiding jews in his house. I mean, maybe he was good at running a ministry but unless the brain slugs got everyone, I can't see him rising that high.
German intelligence agencies are co-operating, there is only 1 nuclear programme being run by sane people, the Luftwaffe and Kreigsmarine are not fighting over carriers, the Luftwaffe designers are not producing stupidly impossible designs that could never work, Hitler has not appointed 3 people to do the same job at every level, etc etc.

Brain slugs have got everyone in Germany, so it could very easily be Albert Goering.

Brain slugs in Germany and Italy, lead paint in Britain and France, Americans scared of the foreign world...

Brain slugs in Germany and Italy, lead paint in Britain and France, Americans scared of the foreign world...
Well when you put it that way, this almost sounds historical...

Brain slugs have got everyone in Germany, so it could very easily be Albert Goering.

Kelebek's genuine all purpose brain slugs.

Fun for the whole family, or else

WARNING: MAY PROMOTE FACISM AND INCREASINGLY UNLIKELY AND DISTURBING THINGS TO HAPPEN IN HUMANS. PLEASE SLUG RESPONSIBLY

Dare I say... modern.

Kelebek's genuine all purpose brain slugs.

Fun for the whole family, or else

WARNING: MAY PROMOTE FACISM AND INCREASINGLY UNLIKELY AND DISTURBING THINGS TO HAPPEN IN HUMANS. PLEASE SLUG RESPONSIBLY

Everyone's been drinking some version of Slug-O... Is Kelebek using some Star Trek devices?
3428289_1.jpg

For some odd reason I haven't been receiving notifications here. Most disturbing. I shall blame the unusually effective Axis intelligence services for this.

Lots of impressive developments! The Italians have lapsed, which is to be expected, and have now at least partially turned to what is expected of them, that is, taking decent equipment and making it worse, then fielding it en masse. The German war machine has been growing and especially the radar projects seem... almost sensible? What is this?

Very nice photographs. A visually attractive AAR is a joy to read, though I shudder to think of the hoops you'll have to start jumping through soon as Paradox models run out or move to obscure blueprint prototypes...

For some odd reason I haven't been receiving notifications here. Most disturbing. I shall blame the unusually effective Axis intelligence services for this.

Indeed the Abwehr is effective, only because Canaris was shoved out by Frick... and Frick is, at least TTL, more interested in the technology.

Lots of impressive developments! The Italians have lapsed, which is to be expected, and have now at least partially turned to what is expected of them, that is, taking decent equipment and making it worse, then fielding it en masse. The German war machine has been growing and especially the radar projects seem... almost sensible? What is this?

Very nice photographs. A visually attractive AAR is a joy to read, though I shudder to think of the hoops you'll have to start jumping through soon as Paradox models run out or move to obscure blueprint prototypes...

The German attaches have been less concerned about their notional ally who is clearly more interested in procuring sand for their "empire" rather than actually useful dirt. With that change in focus, they actually want to develop stuff.

Nice Ferengi Cola.

I knew that this was a thing from Deep Space Nine, but I had been going for what I thought was a Futurama reference... Which I just discovered was Slurm and not Sluggo... meh.

You all know I hate to double post, but I figured that a reminder couldn't go amiss:

N4bHJgj.jpg