• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The scale is all wrong for this to work. The 1930s trades were fairly low key,a bit under 200 million Reichsmarks spread over 4/5 years. For scale an Admiral Hipper class heavy cruiser is 80-85 million RM. Those trades pretty much cleared the old Soviet debts from the 20s.

The first year of the mad panic Germany-has-run-out-of-everything trades was 620 million RM, in just one year. And it still wasn't enough as Hitler was announcing "Export or Die!" as his industrial policy because Germany still needed more resources from non-Soviet sources. And it's not like Germany could expand the deal, because they couldn't even really pay for what they asked for were always behind making payments. Even the payments Germany did make were not repeatable (you can only sell the plans for Bismark once, only transfer an industrial or agricultural tech once, etc).

Fundamentally Stalin will know Germany is desperate and is not going to get more generous, he will start turning the screws and there's not much Germany has left to offer. One of the very minor arguments in favour of Barbarossa was that the Soviets were thinking of scrapping the deal because they wanted to get paid and were getting sick of German delays. I've seen a timeline in another place that has Germany forced to sell the family silver (Tirpitz, plans for Pz III and IV and working prototypes, and all the hydrogenation and octane fuel tech) just to keep the agreement going, something which seems all too plausible.

Didn't Germany also sell some cruiser hulls to the Soviets to pay for the imports?

Yes, they sent over the incomplete Seydlitz, and all of the military knowledge behind the 8" guns aboard her, periscopes for subs, and a pile of aviation technology (which may or may not have helped the Soviets, sources differ). It's also quite true that the Germans never quite rose to their agreements, but with the more significant sales of military tech abroad I'm imagining that they're staying (only slightly) more solvent this time 'round. It could also feed the Soviet rationale for attacking Germany in TTL! Off to put that in there!

Reactions:
@El Pip

I just started reading Case Red by Robert Forczyk, and one of the first things that I'm struck by is the state of how distrustful the French were of the British, which plays well with what's going on TTL. I was wondering about your take on it given that it always seems like the AI is just taking their leave of any sense or programming!

• 1Like
Reactions:
@El Pip

I just started reading Case Red by Robert Forczyk, and one of the first things that I'm struck by is the state of how distrustful the French were of the British, which plays well with what's going on TTL. I was wondering about your take on it given that it always seems like the AI is just taking their leave of any sense or programming!
The French knew they needed Britain's support in any conflict with Germany, but they also knew the British were reluctant to make any kind of continental commitment. Even as late as Munich the British wouldn't commit to sending any divisions at all to aid France and instead suggested France just extend the Maginot Line to the sea. Over-simplifying the British plan was that the French army would fight on the ground, under cover of the AdA, while the Royal Navy would rule the waves, the RAF would strategically bomb Germany and the City of London would finance everything.

Post-Munich the French started demanding a British army to replace the Czech divisions they had lost, this eventually morphed into the BEF. But the French knew this was something they had extorted out of London and were always wary of the British trying to revert back to the original plan.

There was also possibly a degree of mistrust lingering from Munich. Daladier claimed he would have honoured the alliance and fought alongside the Czechs, if the British had backed him. Chamberlain believed Britain was nowhere near ready for war, either materially or psychologically, and so pushed for the appeasement line for a variety of reasons. I'm not 100% convinced about Daladier's story, not least it would have been very difficult to get the rest of the French government to go along with it, but it is possible.

So those two reasons, plus some personality clashes, meant the relationship was not as smooth and trusting as it could have been. I'd also suggest that given the magnitude of the defeat a lot of French sources were looking for someone to blame who wasn't them, throwing some shade on the ancestral enemy 'Perfidious Albion' was also going to be a popular choice. ;)

Reactions:
Just wanted everyone to know that yesterday, 14 June 2019, I graduated the Hanover Criminal Justice Academy to become a Deputy Sheriff...

62447061_10161598830665212_1318236488047001600_n.jpg

Now that that training is over, I'm moving into the normal rotation of shifts (five days on, five off) and will be able to advance this story more regularly! I'm already plotting some curveballs, trying to make the challenge harder for the Axis...

Reactions:
Just wanted everyone to know that yesterday, 14 June 2019, I graduated the Hanover Criminal Justice Academy to become a Deputy Sheriff...

62447061_10161598830665212_1318236488047001600_n.jpg

Now that that training is over, I'm moving into the normal rotation of shifts (five days on, five off) and will be able to advance this story more regularly! I'm already plotting some curveballs, trying to make the challenge harder for the Axis...
Congrats! So in which part of USA we can DUI and overspeed and do other unlawful stuff and still be ok? :D

• 1Haha
Reactions:
congratz!!

Reactions:
Congratulations indeed, the thin blue line just became a bit stronger. I will henceforth imagine you wearing a proper Sheriff's hat at all times and occasionally dispensing literary justice across the forum.

While I know nothing of policing, I do know shift work and it can be ideal for writing so I look forward to your enhanced productivity.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Congrats my friend. It seems service is in the veins - good luck with your new career. :)

Reactions:
Very many congratulations

• 1Like
Reactions:
Congrats! So in which part of USA we can DUI and overspeed and do other unlawful stuff and still be ok? :D

That would be... every other jurisdiction other than mine! :D:D

Felicitations!

congratz!!

Thank you, you two!

Congratulations indeed, the thin blue line just became a bit stronger. I will henceforth imagine you wearing a proper Sheriff's hat at all times and occasionally dispensing literary justice across the forum.

While I know nothing of policing, I do know shift work and it can be ideal for writing so I look forward to your enhanced productivity.

Our Sheriff's hat is indeed very proper...
62608527_10161598830745212_7590732500947697664_n.jpg

I don't know exactly how much literary justice I might distribute here, but it's a good time for sure!

Congrats my friend. It seems service is in the veins - good luck with your new career. :)

Deep, very deep in the veins! Thank you for the well wishes. It's an honor.

Congratulations Wraith, sensational work :)

Very many congratulations

Thank you to both of you as well--you guys have been so very supportive through this year and a half to get this done!

• 1Like
Reactions:
That picture does rather remind me though of the rather different nature of UK and US police forces.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Seems I'm a bit late to the party. Regardless, congratulations are in order (the very thing you'll be maintaining).

That picture does rather remind me though of the rather different nature of UK and US police forces.
My brother is a police inspector here in Brussels. His uniform does look very different. He definitely doesn't get to wear a hat like that one :D

• 1Like
Reactions:

To be honest, the only difference is that every officer in the States carries a gun, while you guys generally only have the specialized units carrying guns. Perhaps something could be said about the nature of wearing a vest externally versus under the uniform as well as the vast majority of American police officers working a vehicle patrol versus walking their beats, but other than those superficial differences, it's pretty similar work I'd imagine.

Seems I'm a bit late to the party. Regardless, congratulations are in order (the very thing you'll be maintaining).

My brother is a police inspector here in Brussels. His uniform does look very different. He definitely doesn't get to wear a hat like that one :D

Gotta wear the hat! Thank you for the support!

Reactions:
Many congratulations! I imagine the citizens of your area will certainly sleep sounder for this.

Reactions:
Just so everyone's aware, the Q2 ACA voting thread is open! I do qualify as far as when posts have been made, so go vote! Should you choose to honor me with a vote (which will go into the "Other" category), I'm going to make it easy, just copy paste this line:

Der Adler, der Wolf, und die Sonne: Die Geschichte des Stahlpakts by @Wraith11B (HoI3)

I'm specifically starting to set aside time to catch up on both all of the screenshots as well as advancing the game--right now I'm giving the AIs a bunch of units that they're going to need, so it kind of hits a lull, but I'm pretty sure that late 1943 and 1944 should be wild. Either that, or I'm going to have to get the game installed on another computer (I'd be up to five) and fight myself...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hope the project is (like mine, now that I am back from my long trip) just in temporary abeyance and about to restart soon. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hope the project is (like mine, now that I am back from my long trip) just in temporary abeyance and about to restart soon. :)

It is. One of the computers decided to kick the bucket (with about 100 screenshots left to process) in a manner not easily repairable, but the hard drives are recoverable (and operations have already begun to replace it!). I advanced the time line to December 1943, which just means that on my main computer I have to process nearly 700 screenshots as well as the monthly overall status update for strengths; though I might back that off to quarterly again just to save myself some time. I also am running into the delayed actions problem, in that I haven't finished playing, but the story here is only about two years or less behind where I am. I might work on some of the Appendix posts that I've let go by the way side; I also need to type up the Poland excursion.

Stay tuned!

Reactions: