• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
WAR! I want to see what happens when the Axis WORKS together. WAR! WAR!

tumblr_myy1y005Z31qa4wgqo1_500.jpg

• 1Haha
Reactions:
V: 4. The Dread Business: Axis Military Expansion
ucYdRBo.png

IALOV1j.png

One of the panzer brigades assembled for inspection
by the Fuhrer in 1940. Note the final PzKpfw.IV with
additional
Schürzen armor.

The Heer in 1940 focused on rounding out the combat power of the formations which had already been activated. The Reserve Armee activated two Feldgendarmie-divisionen, the 242. and 243., both into the XXIX Armeekorps (Garrison). Significant effort had gone into the activation of the last three Panzer-divisionen (12., 14., and 15.) in late January and early February under the command of III Panzerkorps, which also received its motorized infantry brigade. In June, three light armored brigades had also been attached to the Panzerkorps headquarters.

YF8j36l.png

Fallschirmjagers conducting training in mid-1940.

For the 1 and 11 Armees as well as the XIII Armeekorps, their Air Defense Artillery brigades finished fitting out by mid-May, and the rest of the Liechte-division of XIII and XIV Armeekorps (two infantry brigades) stood up by the end of the month. The last major formation which activated in the year for the Heer was the 3. Fallschirmjager-division, the last airborne division.

RF7F9kx.png

Italian artillery training for activation. These forces
did not provide the stiffness that it was hoped, and
never quite repaid their cost.

The Regio Esercito, for it’s part, was undergoing a massive armament program, but almost no new front-line divisions were actually activated. The increase in the strength of line infantry formations were from the transitioning former CCNN divisions, emerging from retraining into regular infantry. Five infantry divisions: the 26th, 29th, 30th, 31st, and 40th were thus “recommissioned.” Four of the reserve MSVN divisions activated: two to relieve 12th Infantry Division in Ancona and two to relieve 28th Infantry Division. Similarly, three of the heavy garrison divisions (103th, 111th, and 112th) were stood up and sent to assignments in Albania and Rhodes. What the Esercito did do to improve it’s capability was activating eight artillery brigades for their front line infantry divisions. The brigades went to the original line infantry divisions at first, as those were the strongest formations then available to the Esercito.

A film of the Kriegsmarine’s Do17Ks conducting
flight operations in 1939 and 1940.

The previous year had seen the first Marinefliegergeschwader activated, having finally scraped together enough Dornier Do17Ks. As the Luftwaffe transitioned to newer models of tactical bombers, those Dorniers released from duty and not required for training were begrudgingly taken over by the Kriegsmarine. This meant that over the course of the year, the Kriegsmarine activated three more MFGs (126, 127 and 129).

Gunnery training of the newest Kriegsmarine battlecruiser

Blücher.​

The u-boat waffe also received enough of the Type IXDs to complete five more uboat geschwaders: V./UbG 11, VI./UbG 12 and 13, VII./UbG 14 and 15. More importantly, the Blücher and Hindenburg commissioned in August, along with the light cruisers Nautilus and Köln, both of the Stettin-class. The Italians commissioned four destroyer squadrons, rotating out several of the older destroyer groups in the task forces, which would be reassigned themselves.

uIeeOjz.png

A Messerschmitt Bf109G, destined for JG 14.

The Luftwaffe enjoyed a fairly large expansion over the course of the year. Four multi-role fighter squadrons (ZGs 7 - 10), four interceptor squadrons (JGs 13 - 16) and two close-air support squadrons (SKGs 9 and 10) were formed. Goering had much to remain good natured about, despite the Kriegsmarine poaching on his turf.

Author's Note: Noooo! @Eurasia you disturbed the top of the page billing! Meh, oh well. This concludes 1940, and though I'm going to be doing some updates to the Appendices, I'm going to save 1941's for the ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY of this AAR! Whoa! It's kinda crazy to me to think that this has over 600 replies and close to 35 thousand views! Translating just the AAR posts into actual effort, that's 118 pages and 46989 words!

I have to thank each and every one of you readers out there, especially @El Pip, @Bullfilter, @stnylan, Eurasia (not tagged because I already tagged you), @Axe99, @Laupitus, @roverS3, @AtlanticFriend and all of the others who have spent the last year with me. I appreciate it! I'll point out that the year-end ACAs are in the running, so go vote!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Happy anniversary! Thanks for keeping us entertained. :)

Reactions:
Twilight of peace sounds duly ominous. :D

Reactions:
Great work Wraith, an appropriately anticipative entry :D.

The previous year had seen the first Marinefliegergeschwader activated

For some random history, in my reading, I've come the Küstenfliegergruppen - which operated as most (iirc the aircraft for their carrier arm had a different group name) of the KM's naval aviation arm from 1935-1944 (when Goering finally rolled over the top of what was left and brought it into the Luftwaffe). Historically it was primarily made up of floatplanes and flying boats, but that was in no small part because once a Küstenfliegerstaffeln had transitioned to a land-based type (such as the Do-17, but also Ju-88s and I think briefly He-111s) the Luftwaffe gobbled them up. I'm not for a second suggesting you should change what you've got, just popping in some trivia :).

Reactions:
Happy anniversary! Thanks for keeping us entertained. :)

Thank you for continuing to read, and I'm glad to oblige!

Twilight of peace sounds duly ominous. :D

Oh yeah... just you wait! :D

Great work Wraith, an appropriately anticipative entry :D.

For some random history, in my reading, I've come the Küstenfliegergruppen - which operated as most (iirc the aircraft for their carrier arm had a different group name) of the KM's naval aviation arm from 1935-1944 (when Goering finally rolled over the top of what was left and brought it into the Luftwaffe). Historically it was primarily made up of floatplanes and flying boats, but that was in no small part because once a Küstenfliegerstaffeln had transitioned to a land-based type (such as the Do-17, but also Ju-88s and I think briefly He-111s) the Luftwaffe gobbled them up. I'm not for a second suggesting you should change what you've got, just popping in some trivia :).

TTL, since the peace goes longer (and Goering is getting far more planes than he might have ever had previously, and he has to make up for being chastised by the Fuhrer after losing the HUMINT to Frick) he's less concerned about the "minor" air force of the Navy. Since the game doesn't reflect those particular forces, one would imagine that those are detachments flying under the administrative command of the Marinefliegerkorps, but operationally attached to the ships themselves.

As an aside, I've (finally) reached October 1943! For you guys, a treat! This happened mid-September....

kJqLRbb.jpg

Reactions:
And ive caught up again. Its all coming together now and starting to feel like a very well rounded military. It will be interesting to to see what japan and the allies have been spending their time and resources on. Hopefully some modern britiah ships and tank formations, otherwise they wont stand a chance.

• 1Like
Reactions:
And ive caught up again. Its all coming together now and starting to feel like a very well rounded military. It will be interesting to to see what japan and the allies have been spending their time and resources on. Hopefully some modern britiah ships and tank formations, otherwise they wont stand a chance.

I'd imagine that you're unfortunately giving the AI a bit more credit than they deserve...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Anniversary coming up, woo! Party!

Very nice pictures, as always. The videos are an interesting look back in time. Those Do17K's shall surely be better used by the KM than by being scrapped. I dislike that HoI doesn't really model the fact that you could (and often would) shuffle older models of equipment around to "secondary" branches either as-is or with minor modifications. It's thoroughly silly to upgrade LW units away from the Do17s and then upgrade KM units to the Do17s or build them as such, all at a full cost. Nevertheless, they should help in countering the Allied naval superiority, and perhaps help the BdU in their quest to interdict the endless supply convoys steaming to and from the UK and all their colonies.

Reactions:
Anniversary coming up, woo! Party!

Very nice pictures, as always. The videos are an interesting look back in time. Those Do17K's shall surely be better used by the KM than by being scrapped. I dislike that HoI doesn't really model the fact that you could (and often would) shuffle older models of equipment around to "secondary" branches either as-is or with minor modifications. It's thoroughly silly to upgrade LW units away from the Do17s and then upgrade KM units to the Do17s or build them as such, all at a full cost. Nevertheless, they should help in countering the Allied naval superiority, and perhaps help the BdU in their quest to interdict the endless supply convoys steaming to and from the UK and all their colonies.

Yeah, that's one feature that I really appreciate in HoI4. I'm also surprised about how many times I forget about my air power... or can't employ it because things aren't in the right position.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So, finally catched up too!
So far an excellent read, very in detail and so far coherant as I can tell.
But! I have to share the concerns of many readers as the Italiens are just to... un-Italish... leaves a bit of a bad aftertaste.

But it's your story, please continue! :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
happy anniversay! I hope there is some war... or there would be a lot of rust in the equipment built..

• 1Like
Reactions:
A remarkable restraint! An the Italians working on their little tank!

It for sure is a little tank... they also tended to sit around doing a whole lot of nothing for significant lengths of time, remarkably enough... trying to run four nations is bloody difficult! I think I'll stick to one in the future... but maybe not.

So, finally catched up too!
So far an excellent read, very in detail and so far coherant as I can tell.
But! I have to share the concerns of many readers as the Italiens are just to... un-Italish... leaves a bit of a bad aftertaste.

But it's your story, please continue! :)

Always good to know that people still power through the whole thing! I applaud your dedication, and look forwards to your commentary in the future!

I apologize about the Italians not being suitably... bad... for their part. I assure you, they do have problems later on...

happy anniversay! I hope there is some war... or there would be a lot of rust in the equipment built..

There is indeed some war! A little war, here and there. Then a fairly large one all of a sudden!

Reactions:
The Major Nation Technology Comparison page has been updated. I have also sorted how to put the pictures into the actual excel cell, which made the flags a whole lot nicer to work with!

Also, just so everyone's aware, I'm going to be starting the Academy for my job this week (tomorrow), so things are likely to slow to glacial pace. I am thinking for my next major update I'll do the first political post of 1941. I was going to do a whole thing about Japan, but honestly, I might just lump that in with everything that's going on routinely because not much happened in 1941, really... *shifty eyes*

Reactions:
Major Nation Tech comparisons for 1939 is up; looking to finish the 1940 and 1941 updates as well.

EDIT: Finished with the Tech updates! Check them out!

Oh, don't worry, glacial pace can't be THAT bad. Some of us are used to worse. ;)

That's true enough! My little brother has returned my gaming laptop as he embarks on his next term, so I will have the capability to advance the timeline soon (probably next weekend, barring anything crazy happening). I'm also about to be moving which will also be craziness.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Major Nation Tech comparisons for 1939 is up; looking to finish the 1940 and 1941 updates as well.

EDIT: Finished with the Tech updates! Check them out!

That's true enough! My little brother has returned my gaming laptop as he embarks on his next term, so I will have the capability to advance the timeline soon (probably next weekend, barring anything crazy happening). I'm also about to be moving which will also be craziness.
Great. Might be a good idea to include a couple of page links for each for ease of navigation? :) Good luck with the domestic disruptions ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
I missed a couple of months, but I'm all caught up now...

I can't wait for the hostilities to start... I really liked your breakdown of the statistics, comparing the numbers and technologies of the various nations. The colour palette is not always the nicest thing to look at, (that shade of pink hurts my eyes...) but it gets the job done, and conveys more information than anyone ever asked for... right up my alley...
Your presentation from the point of view of both European Axis members continues to offer an interesting perspective, often with much deeper cooperation than irl. I'm looking forward to what you will do with Japan (I just noticed you have included the titles of upcoming updates in the summary, interesting idea...)

This continues to be a lot of fun to read.

Happy anniversary!

• 1Like
Reactions: