• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That was an unexpectedly heavy update. Somber in tone. Very good, but a great departure from the usual pop-culture clash and it leaves my usual mode of response (i.e. employing snark in the place of wit) awkwardly out of place. :p

Thanks Stuy. The war has surprisingly high casualties. 30+ French regulars, in large pockets, dug in vs my all colonial native cavalry.

Act V: Leviticus
Chapter 8: The Big Goodbye
Part 16: The Four Olds

Hey Bo - did you hear?

bo-20and-20luke-20with-20car-1088026018-1.jpg

What's that?

The Imperials want to get rid of the General Lee!

robert-e-lee.jpg

Why would they bother? He's dead.

No, not that General Lee. This General Lee. Apparently it's now a symbol of racial oppression.

general_lee.jpg

Because it's Orange? Because it's a Dodge Charger?

No - it's the Stars and Bars.

You don't say. So let's get it straight. Even though we've never owned a slave, it's wrong to honor the sacrifice of the brave men and women who fought for the South?

clover_vet_flags.jpg

Apparently so.

What's next? I thought they were a free country.

Not anymore.

What are you reading now, Bo?

Oh just a book.

What book?

valentines_day_in_the_book_of_songs58901dad8a070db8b651.jpg

"I have told you the old ways."
Hear and follow my counsels; -
Then shall you have no cause for great regret.
Heaven is now inflicting calamities,
And is destroying the State
My illustrations are not taken from things remote; -
Great Heaven makes no mistakes.
If you go on to deteriorate in your virtue,
You will bring the people to great distress.

於乎小子、告爾舊子。
聽用我謀、庶無大悔。
天方艱難、曰喪厥國。
取譬不遠、昊天不忒。
回遹其德、俾民大棘。

Last edited:
Act V: Leviticus
Chapter 8: The Big Goodbye
Part 17: Freedom Fries

whitehouse.jpg

General Johnson!

WH-Holt-JosephLOC_mwh.jpg

What is that, Holt? Let's see those troop dispositions! And the plan!

Joseph_E_Johnston.jpg

For our war with France?

France? You must mean Freedom.

Yessir, our war against Freedom.

We start with our amazing strategy in Africa...

Frenchcolonialwarpart1_zpsyr14kzph.png

We have 20 divisions under AP Hill, General Taylor..

Who is General Taylor?

Oh, one of our rising stars, he commands 36 divisions, then to his north we have General Beauregard with 19 divisions and a strategic reserve of 10 devisions.

So that's... 85 divisions in North Africa. Against?

970 men of the French Legion.

Ouch.

We also have an expeditionary force for the West African colonies.

Ok. Lets get to the main event.

Frenchcolonialwarpart1Indochina_zpsvy4xtfta.png

In Indochina, we have 20 divisions in Burma under General McCulloch, another rising star. Except that he's harsh and Elderly.

General DH Hill commands the China army with 24 divisions, north of Annam. Their job will be to annex the entire country.

Then, we have the 99 divisions offshore of Thailand lead by General Kirby Smith with General Hood as his adjutant. . They intend to conquer Bangkok and eject the French. The French have 30 regular divisions guarding the coast.

Sounds like it should be a snap.

Unlikely, Kampengpak is well fortified. 4 regular divisions vs 20 divisions in Thailand. It is best that we let them reinforce and then charge into Kampengpak to destroy their morale. That will open the north. Kirby Smith has orders to establish a beachhead with 40 divisions in Bangkok and the rest will tie down French forces. Once that's done we should be able to crack the French.

What if they spoil our plans and surrender?

The French? Surrender? You must be mad. The French are warriors. They will never surrender.

a441b46dce1a01f801d3be9843ea4f6d.jpg

Last edited:
Onwards against Freedom!

Yes, indeed.

So that's... 85 divisions in North Africa. Against?

970 men of the French Legion.

Perhaps this is a slight misallocation of forces? ;) Or are you going to send them off to Metropolitan France after their desert excursion in the Maghreb? I know the French Foreign Legion has a reputation, but surely you don't need something in the order of 1,000 troops to take down one Legionnaire? It's not like they have Jean-Claude Van Damme, after all...

Famous last words, Stuyvesant.

Perhaps this is a slight misallocation of forces? ;) Or are you going to send them off to Metropolitan France after their desert excursion in the Maghreb? I know the French Foreign Legion has a reputation, but surely you don't need something in the order of 1,000 troops to take down one Legionnaire? It's not like they have Jean-Claude Van Damme, after all...

I've allocated roughly 150 divisions to Indochina. 40 divs north of Annam, 20 in Burma, and another 100 divs on the boat off Bangkok. I end up needing all of them, thanks to my 'strategy' of pinning them down and eventually destroying them. They managed to exhaust my manpower reserves.

Jungle sucks for eliminating dug in divisions. The reason I pin them down is so that I can cut off their internal defenses and isolate both the north and the south. But I need to pin them so that I can defeat them in northern Thailand with my giant 40 divs army.

I tested a variety of strategies, this was slower but more effective in crushing their divisions.

As for North Africa, those troops will have other vacation spots. ;)

Hi, I have been on haitus. I want a poll from any readers that remain, as to how I should proceed with this. I have played on, but have not been able to successfully conquer the world.

Should I: finish the game out to 1920, as the CSA being world number 1? or ---

Should I restart and replay and see if I manage?

I have replayed. I own Japan 2 years ahead of the first save and well before CW II. October of 1864. I may be able to improve on that some - The Mexico war delayed my troops by about 3 months. Should be possible to DOW China after a quick war with the US, for annexation before 1870.

Now I remember why this took so long the first time. ;) USA in civilwar II kicked my butt. I'm going to have to increase the size of my military.

Played on. I have Taken China by 1866, a full 8 years earlier than in the first run. This is a significant advantage. I'll be able to interfere with the German states, after I march across Russia to knock it down a peg.

Russia decided to try to stop me, and that will cost it all of Siberia. I will have to replay the Russian run, as I need to drop 20 divisions onto Japan to prevent Japanese nationalism, and buy more boats.

Itssobeautiful_zpsm6bscqg9.png

Last edited:
What happened, Luke?

We're starting over! It seems we weren't fast enough the first time.

Fast enough? Does the General Lee need a tune-up?

No, no. The game. We failed to take over the world!

Isn't that always what happens, Brain?

What? No. This time we'll do the same thing we do every night...

You should go over the changes, Luke.

What's that. Daisy? Oh, ok.

Well, we never went to Haiti or the Dominican Republic. We did go to Mexico, but it was over before we really got going.

That's what she said.

Hmm?

What are you looking at me for? She did say exactly that.

How does it feel to be on the road again boys?

It feels great. What's next after China?

Siberia.

No, no, stop playing with us, Daisy. What's next.

I said it, Siberia.

Last edited:
General Lee?

What's that Stonewall. I thought you were dead.

No, sir. Last I checked, God willing, I am alive and well.

It seems to be that... things have changed.

How so?

Well, the great Confederacy of our dreams... has faded. We had an empire that ranged from one end of the world to the other. Then we were brought back to the site of our first major triumph...

The defeat of the Yankees?

Yes, Stonewall. But that has given us another chance!

Again, I'm not following.

We can build, even bigger and even better!

Perhaps you can explain to me what has changed from what you remember?

Well, we did not invade Haiti or the Dominican republic. And rather than deploying Polynesian divisions when we took Hawaii, we actually recruited regular southern divisions.

Forrest will be pleased with that.

Yes, it was a significant help against Japan. We took it two years earlier. It was more expensive, but we doubled our income.

Then your China plan. Despite not having Korea, you used only 20 boats to ferry on 150 divisions, over 1.5 million Japanese.

Again, there just wasn't time to deploy our usual Polynesians. We used the money saved to have 50 percent more troops, it shaved a full 3 years off the usual China conquest.

Now what will we do?

We still have a war against Russia. We will punish them for their insolence and we shall return again to the Empire we have always had, Stonewall. Left and right arms together!

Last edited:
Hey, I remember this. I'm a bit late for the poll, but seeing as you restarted I assume that is what you are going with.

Keep it up!

Yeah, this isn't dead yet. I restarted and did much better now that I'm better at Victoria. Now that I have some time I'll get to this.

Good news, Ben!