• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There is a lot of Yankees in Dixie. Be aware... :D

germanpeon
Yes, as soon as I switched to the CSA, I noticed about a million events converting my POPs. You'll see what I do in the next update.

Enewald
Actually...no. Virginia is my biggest state, but doesn't nearly produce half of my nations industry. But, you're right about it producing more than any other state.

Kurt_Steiner
Pshh, more to work my fields...

Dr.Dave
That's amazing! That really brightens my day! Thank you very much.

Author Note
My LCD laptop has a leak inside the screen, and a black, inky blob has taken over my screen. I'm continuing the game on my dad's computer (which he doesn't like me putting my stuff on), so everything will be fine for the AAR, except I won't be able to use photoshop until its fixed.

Btw, I haven't used photoshop yet, so nothing will really change that much, but once my laptop is fixed, I'll add more pictures and be able to change some pics around. (CSA battleships, biplanes, ect.)

And also, if anyone knows of any good quality websites where a skilled artist added color to black and white photos, please let me know. As you may be able to tell, I'm trying to avoid B&W in this AAR and it's quite a challenge. Thanks!

Update soon.

Last edited:
The First President
And First Moves Towards Prosperity

inaguration.jpg

It was no secret that a lot of work needed to be done for the CSA to prosper, not to mention survive. Until the first elections were complete, a fill in president by the name of Jefferson Davis was given the reigns of the fragile CSA. He was told not to make any large-scale decisions until he was officially elected. He ran as a democrat against the likes of John Letcher and John Bell. The elections were agreed to be purely popular vote by the fill-in congress, then the newly elected president would decide just how the government would be structured, with the approval of congress. The dominant issue on the minds of the people wasn't who is the best candidate, but instead, who is the least corrupt. A corrupt leader could easily cripple the nation.

The results came on March 10th, 1862. They needed only to be counted once, for the winner was quite cocksure. In the election, Letcher gained 661,858 votes, Bell gained 2,444,211 votes, and Davis clocked 7,998,931 votes and swept the election. The public saw Davis as an honest man that's intentions are pure.

davisiselected.png

Jefferson Davis, born in 1808, grew in Woodville, Mississippi. He attended Jefferson University and Transylvania University before receiving an education at West Point. After graduating from West Point, he gained the rank of 2nd Lieutenant. While performing his duties, Davis became very ill and resined from his status as an officer. His interest changed then to politics. In 1844, he was elected to the House of Representatives. Then in 1845, he married Varina Howell. Later, the Mexican-American War began, and Davis switched his interests back to the military and created a volunteer division and fought in Mexico. After the war, Davis was elected to the Senate in 1847. Then, after campaigning for Franklin Pierce, who won the election, he was appointed as Secretary of War 1853. He then re-ran for Senate and won in 1857. He remained there until the succession of the south in 1860, when he became the fill-in president for the Confederate States of America. After making minimal changes and installing a fair, balanced out congress, he ran for the first president of the CSA, where he won by a landslide.

Assembling the Confederate Government

firstcongress.png

Davis' first move as president was to create a permanent, stable, democratic government foundation. It was decided to assemble a five man supreme court, with the same responsibilities of that in the United States, as well as a lifetime term. The House of Representatives would be eliminated, and the Senate would be the only power of congress. Within the senate, thirty men would be elected during election times. They would all face elections every thirty-five months. Each senator would allotted a maximum of four terms. After the four terms were complete, they would not be able to run for re-election. Elections for these positions were arranged. Presidents faced the same thirty-five months in office. They were given a maximum of three terms.

After voting for the Senate was complete, the results were:

1 Member of the Defenders of Confederacy Party
13 Members of the Whig Party
16 Members of the Democratic Party

Criticism on Slavery

greatbritainprotestssla.png

In 1807, Great Britain declared slavery to be illegal with the passage of the Slave Trade Act. However, it wasn't completely abolished until the Slavery Abolition Act in 1833. Ever since the abolition, Great Britain disapproved of slavery, and declared it an act against god's creatures. Although Great Britain enjoyed watching the Union crumble, they didn't agree with the South's motives. Now that the war is over, Queen Victoria as well as Henry John Temple sent a formal complaint towards the slavery issue.

In an attempt to prevent worsening relations, Davis agreed to let congress vote upon it at a later date. Great Britain found Davis' solution to be satisfactory. A date was never set.

State Military Bill Goes Through Congress

statesrights.png

Now that the South has successfully succeeded from the North, the state of Virginia had huge hopes of a passing a State Military Bill that would permit each state to raise it's own military. The only problems with the bill would be a negative effect on the already tarnished economy, and an attack from the US could strike before the armies are organized, leading to a confused, lack-luster defense. Democrats and Whigs were neutral to the idea, while Defenders of the Confederacy didn't support it. When the bill was put into congress, it failed to pass. The votes were 17 Nay, 9 Yay, and 4 chose Not to Vote.

Instead of dropping the bill, the senate offered Virginia the opportunity to revise the bill. Since the treaty of the US could bring immediate war, Virginia changed the time of enactment of the bill. Instead of immediately re-organizing the armies, they would be re-organized slowly, begining on June 1st, 1865. After the modification was made, the bill was re-run through the senate and passed. 11 Nay, 18 Yay, and 1 Non-vote.

stateinfantrys.jpg

Jefferson Davis Commemorates the Dead

davisspeech.png

“I worked night and day for twelve years to prevent the war, but I could not. The North was mad and blind, would not let us govern ourselves, and so the war came.”
- Jefferson Davis

After a war, any war, especially an unnecessary war, grief is going to be strong. The men and women that contributed to the war effort and independence deserved the greatest treatment, and respect. But not all could be happy when there were more soldiers lost than anyone expected. President Jefferson Davis spoke:

"General Ridge, Franklin Johnson, Paul Lengoon, please sit. Ladies and Gentlemen, please allow me entrance to your minds and hearts, for these men here, beneath our feet deserve a voice."

"The war for independence lasted no longer than fifteen months. Over the fifteen months of our nation's horrific fight, that should've never happened, we have lost a tremendous amount of invaluable souls. Fathers, brothers, husbands, cousins, sons, grandfathers, friends, doctors, blacksmiths, farmers, countrymen. Too many. Too many. I worked night and day for twelve years to prevent the war, but I could not. The North was mad and blind, would not let us govern ourselves, and so the war came. The smiles have been washed of our faces. We have been gleeful for independence, but at what cost? The Yankees to the North do not commemorate their fallen brothers. Instead, they recruit more and more young lads to fight for an unknown, imperialistic, colonial cause! We shall not have this plague of imperialism and carelessness for our brothers! So I am here. To set an example. I pray that others may follow. War is not the solution. Bloodshed only causes grief to those with a heart. So I leave you with one last thought. I beg of you to lay down your anger. Leave it in your homes, for when you leave your walls of privacy, you provoke no action from any Yankee. We need to set an example of peace, so leave the anger in the homes. Think of your fellow brothers."

"And let the flags wave high. Upon their tombstones. As a symbol. A symbol for the uselessness of war, and a world movement for peace."

"Thank you."

thedead.jpg

Last edited:
Kurt_Steiner
Thank you! Any suggestions to make it better?

Enewald
Indeed! As well as maybe lead to friends in Europe. That's always good!

Viden
Unfortunately, not with Davis as president. The Democrats are very isolationistic. Maybe in the upcoming election, the Democrats lose? Guess we'll have to find out.

Warpimp
Thanks, welcome to Dixieland!

Kurt_Steiner
I think gaining the number 1 spot on the game is a more realistic, and also harder goal. Plus, there's no way my economy could handle an army big enough to conquer and maintain the whole world.

Dr.Dave
Where's the corruption at? And Davis is too honest of a guy...but that could be a bad thing...

Oh, and do you like the AAR this way, or should I leave out the little things and do broader updates. I mean, we aren't even 6 years in yet. And I'll have to continue at this pace. So should I be broader, or keep it the way it is?

Warpimp

Kurt_Steiner
I think gaining the number 1 spot on the game is a more realistic, and also harder goal. Plus, there's no way my economy could handle an army big enough to conquer and maintain the whole world.

Dr.Dave
Where's the corruption at? And Davis is too honest of a guy...but that could be a bad thing...

Oh, and do you like the AAR this way, or should I leave out the little things and do broader updates. I mean, we aren't even 6 years in yet. And I'll have to continue at this pace. So should I be broader, or keep it the way it is?

For the establishment period, the pace is fine, but I think once the CSA is a well-based power, you can skip to a quicker pace. When I did a gameplay AAR, I updated every 4 years until I lost the saves.

As for world-conquering, the AI is atrociously easy to satellite. Occupy capital, offer satellite status, enjoy.

But I think that a local power with some Central/South American possessions is a fine goal for now, though seeing CSA troops wading through the lines in france is certainly a nice idea.

It would also be interesting to see what happens when the CSA outlaws slavery, and becomes a society more akin to the North. Peaceful rapprochement? Neo-unionist parties wanting a new Union, and hardcore southeners wanting to stay independent? A CSA civil war, even?

Warpimp

Kurt_Steiner

Dr.Dave

I was thinking about when you said "Voting for the least corrupt" :p

I like it the way it is , but you could do broader updates sometimes and "small" sometimes perhaps? :)

Herbert West
Okay, confession-time...I could conquer the world. Satelliting would be easiest, but instead, I'm going for a realistic approach. While the CSA was technically a rebel country, it was still very similar to the US. And the US was (and still is) very imperialistic, but I can't see them trying to achieve world domination. The CSA is not going to try to take over the world, but that doesn't mean you'll never see them in Euope. But just don't expect to see a CSA grey France, UK, Germany, and half of Russia. I call that gamey.

Dr.Dave
Okay, thanks. I may do small updates here and there. And I understand now. Silly me, lol, I forgot.

YESSSS!!!! I finally (after hours of playing with it) found out how to make events. So, I'm adding the pics of events to my last post. Then, I will add more throughout the story. Please tell me if you like it better with the events.

And again, if you see anything you think is gamey, please call me out on it.

Last edited:
Subscribed. I love alternate history. Any chance of the Confederacy becoming a multi-party democracy?

You added event pictures right?

PS: Yes, I like it. ;)

Awesome!