• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tisifoni12

Field Marshal
20 Badges
Oct 29, 2012
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
Denmark in HOI4: Gets invaded by Germany, fights desperately, but ultimately loses

Denmark in history: Gets invaded by Germany, Government calculates that defeat and occupation are inevitable within days, after a few hours hours of resistance by units in the Jutland border, Denmark negotiates surrender

In HOI4 the first of the above always happens, the latter never happens . . .
Perhaps there should be a chance it does, or an option for Germany, at cost of x political points, to propose a quick surrender to Denmark with the possibility of it being accepted, or rejected ?

In contrast as it retreated North the Norwegian Government had a similar debate about negotiating or not and the King and Government went into exile. A lot of the difference in those decisions is about geography. So maybe a similar option with Norway, but a much smaller chance of it being accepted ?

Yes, I have seem in a video, that they have surrendered after 2 hours.

In game you can use naval assault and occupy Copenhagen without a fight, then they will probably surrender. I do attack from the south and use naval landings on the main islands and their back. This way it is very easy and they surrender fast. Not in 2 hours, but for me this situation is fine.

Last edited:
Yes, I have seem in a video, that they have surrendered after 2 hours.

In game you can use naval assault and occupy Kopenhagen without a fight, then they will probably surrender. I do attack from the south and use naval landings on the main islands and their back. This way it is very easy and they surrender fast. Not in 2 hours, but for me this situation is fine.

Yeah, with paradrops and naval invasions you get can get them to capitulate within a couple of days at most, and paradrops and naval invasion were a historical part of the invasion of Denmark.

I dunno if anything needs to be changed tbh.

There should definitely be a Denmark capitulation event, if invaded by a MAJOR power. The Danes and especially their King and government wasn't willing to see their people slaughtered in a hopeless cause.

Hopefully this will be added in a Scandinavian DLC.

Yeah, with paradrops and naval invasions you get can get them to capitulate within a couple of days at most, and paradrops and naval invasion were a historical part of the invasion of Denmark.

I dunno if anything needs to be changed tbh.
"Naval invasion" is correct, if by that you mean German soldiers taking the public ferry early in the morning from Germany to Denmark... that actually happened. The invasion of Copenhagen was done by one ice breaker and one troop transports. A few important bridges were secured by paratroopers, but no combat happened. So the entire invasion of Denmark was almost below the level of combat in HOI4, and may be better represented through an event.

• 2Like
Reactions:
That would be a good idea. Give Denmark an option to surrender, as an event or decision.
Perhaps there could also be a special occupation law.
Because in terms of countries occupied by Germany, Denmark is a special case. It got a very leniant occupation compared to every other Nations. Denmark even held a free election when it was occupied by Germany.

In another thread, I also suggested making Copenhagen 50% of Denmark's VP, and three provinces in Jutland the other 50%. And then you give Denmark a spirit which makes it surrender if it loses 50% of its VP's. So you just need to conquer either Jutland or Copenhagen and then the country surrenders.

There is certainly an argument to be made for Denmark being handled in the same way as the Baltic states. If they can be occupied without a fight, so could Denmark.

• 1Like
Reactions: