• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fire and Ash

Lt. General
105 Badges
Dec 4, 2009
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Gettysburg
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • East India Company Collection
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
Democracy’s Final Stand: A Kaiserreich AAR
A Canada AAR

ca-21-be.gif

Authors Note: This is my first AAR playing DH and I would like to first highlight that this is a great game and you should definitely play it, the other is that I will be making this AAR through the use of the Kaiserreich mod, if you hadn't guessed already. This is a great Alternate History mod so I advise you to go download it and play it as well. One last thing about my updates. I aim to update at least once a weak and will probably continue like that for the next couple of weeks. Post that I will hope to post more but don't get your hopes up. I hope you all like and enjoy this AAR and feel free to offer advice.

Last edited:
Prologue: Part 1. The Hungry Wolf

Greywolf001copy.jpg

“Do you see it?” Through the fog of the morning light he saw it. The dog was thin, its ribs was obvious to see even from his distance on the hill. It looked weak.

“Yes.”

“Focus, aim at his chest.” The dog moved slowly, its head sagged back and forth form the effort of moving.

“Are you ready?” The dog stood upright, the smell of the rabbit was getting stronger.

“Yes.” He could see it in the dog’s eyes, the look of hunger, and the strength that came with that last chance to live.

“Do it.” He lowered his breathing, eventually the barrel came to a rest. He squeezed the trigger and looked. The dog had stopped moving. “Do it now.” Its eyes stared into him, in that moment he saw more than the dog. He saw what was behind it. “Now! Do it now!”

“I- I…” His father took the gun from his hands and aimed it at the dog. The gun fired with a crack that split the air, moments later he saw the dog fall to the ground. “I’m sorry dad. I couldn’t do it. I couldn-“

“Shhh. It’s alright Will. Get up and go back to the estate. Tell your mother to give you something hot and that I’ll be back in an hour.”

“Will? Are you in bed?” Will hid under the covers.

“Will, stop hiding. Remember what I told you about being brave. Not looking scared when you are is the only way to be brave. Now get out of those covers.” Will pulled the covers down so he could see his father.

“I couldn’t do it dad. I saw something in its eyes. It felt wrong.”

“That’s nothing to be ashamed of Will. It’s good what you did today.”

“But I didn’t kill it.”

“That you did and what you did was also wrong.’ His father sat down at the end of the bed. ‘A boy was hurt yesterday by that dog. We can’t let a creature like that live. It’s like a wolf. In my great grandfathers’ day, wolves roamed the country side, they would steal an animal here and there, sometime a man if they were brave enough, sometimes even a child. The wolf was like that dog, it was hungry and smart it waited until it had the best chance to steal food from that boy and it did not care to hurt him if he got in the way. Creatures like that, can’t be controlled, they can’t be reasoned with and only way to stop them is to put them down. Do you understand? Killing is never right, but sometimes it’s better than what could happen.”

“I understand dad.”

“Good boy. Now get some sleep and dream of other things than beasts.” Will closed his eyes and dreamt, but even in his sleep he could not escape the fear that a dog was circling him. At any moment would strike.

sywegw.jpg

Last edited:
Prologue: Part 2. The Calm.

calm+before+storm+1.jpg

“This is completely unacceptable! I will do no such thing.”

“Please be reasonable Lord Healy. The conditions down the mine are awful. We cannot in good mind continue the work down there. I cannot send men to their death.”

“There hasn’t been a death in the mine for over five years. If you are desperate for some improvement to the conditions down there then I will offer it, but I cannot give you and your men any more money. Times are bad for everyone, myself included.”

“How dare you even say that? You live with servants tailoring to your every command, you have food and water. We have nothing compared to you!” Will father moved in-between the two men, a rifle in his hands.

“I think we have reached an end. I will try to improve the conditions down there but there shall be no increase in pay. That is my final offer.” The head of the workers union at the mine glared at Lord Healy for a moment before turning to leave.

“I hope you sleep tonight, knowing what you’ve done to us.”

“Get off the lords estate, now.” Will’s father stepped forward. He spoke with a calm tone but that could not disguise the promise of violence if the man didn’t leave. Will’s father waited until the butler had closed the door before relaxing his grip on the rifle.

“It’s getting worse sir.”

“Yes. Yes it is Thomas. Will, I’m sorry you had to see that. I did not expect for things to become so heated.”

“Will. Go to your mother and sister. They may need a hand with cooking.” Will got up to leave, but stayed behind the door, listening to his father and Healy conversation.

“How bad are things Thomas? Do not be afraid to tell me straight.”

“Yes sir. They are very bad. Yesterday I went into town to pick up the meat from the butchers. A couple of men saw it fit to shout at me and follow me out of town. I would not go back without a gun.”

“I had heard worrying news of this happening elsewhere. This morning I got a call from the wife of a friend of mine in Bristol. He was murdered by a drunken mob in the streets. The police have no idea who is responsible and will not even risk arrest for fear of riot. I found this out after she begged me to ask the Police.”

“Sir, I have no idea if this is related but there is a book being spread around town. I’ve heard men in the pub speak about it.”

“What is it called?”

“Wage Labour and Capital.”

“Will! You get away from there this instant.” His mother appeared behind Will, the first he knew was the painful pinch of his ear as his mother dragged him down the corridor.

“I wasn’t doing anything. I swear!”

“You can explain that to your father when he hears of this, in the meantime I have a lot of potatoes that need peeling."

ABWagelabor.jpg

This is BBC radio, the news at seven.

Today Parliament launched a resolution banning the distribution and ownership of the novel Wage Labour and Capital. All owners of the novel written by Karl Marx are given twenty four hours to give up the book to the authorities. If the owners of this book continue to hold copies of the novel then they will be classed as smugglers and arrested under that title. The maximum punishment for such a crime can be ten years imprisonment. In other news violence erupted on Cable Street in London as members of the communist party marched through the streets in support of an equal pay system, clashed with members of the opposition parties. The protest was eventually forced to dissipate with the arrival of the Army to restore order.

Will was upstairs with his sister playing when his father called him down. In the kitchen a dozen men, all employed by Lord Healy sat or stood around the room. Each one was armed with weapons from revolvers too rifles. Will moved to a place just behind his father. His father turned and Will found the usual warmth of his gaze removed with something stern and hard.

“Will, your mother didn’t want me to take you to this. I don’t want to take you to this, but you need to be there. This day will be important years from now and you should understand why.”

“I-“

“Seeing as we’re all here we better get on with it. The books are all in the carts outside. I hope you all brought something warm as this could take a while.” His father marched outside with the other men. Will followed from behind with the butler’s son. Together they sat at the back of the cart as it was taken down the road into the middle of a field near the town. In the cart was a huge collection of books hidden under a cotton sheet. Reaching in Will picked up one of the books and looked at it. A second later one of the men demanded he put the book back and not to touch it again. When they reached the centre of a field they started building a huge bomb fire. When the fire was at its peak Will’s father called him other.

“Will, I want you to keep this in mind as you watch this. I was never a man for books, I never understood the finer points of freedom except that we had it. Today we lose it son. Alright you lot, get started.” The men started throwing the books onto the fire. As he watched thousands of pages be burnt before his eyes he began to realise that this wasn’t right. That deep down he understood that whatever was happening here was wrong. As he watched the boy he had sat next to earlier stood next to him. The boy lent close and whispered to Will.

“ What's so wrong about them? My dad still has a copy and he says it's a great book.”

Last edited:
Awesome! :D

Prologue: Part 3. The Storm

communist_revolution_poster_by_renjikuchiki1-d36leg4.png

2n71355.jpg

15hj1on.jpg

10f4y77.jpg

This is the BBC, with the news at twelve.

The communist party released a new manifesto today that has seen large scale controversy from other parties but large support from the workers union. Matters where not helped this morning when members of other parties commented that the actual policies listed in the manifesto where akin to treason. The leader of the of the communist party, Philip Snowden, has called these attacks on his manifesto a attack on the working class. The Prime Minister later called for calm across the country after violence took the streets of Edinburgh, Liverpool and London.

ri65xw.png

Will sat with his father in the field as he the football match between the boys on the other side of the field. “Why can’t I play football with the other boy’s dad?” His father said nothing for a moment before standing up. Will looked up at him confused.

“Come on then.” His father beckoned before setting off towards the other fathers who were watching. “Afternoon Hardy, Jonathon, would it be alright if my boy could play with yours?” Hardy looked at him with a confused look across his face. Jonathon spoke first.

“I thought you’d chosen to stick with Healy?”

“I chose to stick with my family. Nothing more Jonathon.” Will watched the two speak, becoming more confused as it went on.

“Well. I suppose that’s a good answer anyway. Your boy’s welcome.”

“You heard him Will. You go play with your friends.” Will ran off to where the other boys were playing. He was still confused why his dad was letting him play with the other boys for the first time in weeks but he was too happy to see his friends to care.

“Will!’ a cry won’t up from one of the players on the field, soon followed by a dozen who came running over. As they got closer he bag to recognise their faces. The boy who had cried out was Tom Johnson. ‘Will. Thank goodness your here.”

“Yeah Will. Where have you been? The boys down Funbrough lane have been thrashing us since you left.” another asked.

“Never mind where I’ve been, what’s the score?”

“We’re three, nill down and their defence is tearing us apart.”

“How long left?”

“We got ten more minutes before the match ends.”

“We can’t win.” a voice said from behind. Will turned to see George Burny, the Head of the Union’s son. He and Will were friends but something was different, he had a weird look that he kept giving to Will.

“Yes we can George! Tom, you, George and Frank go on either side of the pitch, I’ll go centre. We push up and everyone else covers our backs in case they get through. Agreed? Let go for it. ”Will and the others ran back to the pitch and waited for the kick off. Will intercepted the ball began his run, dipping out and dodging tackles. Suddenly he came face to face with the others team’s defenders and at the last moment passed it to Tom. Tom received and managed to skirt around the defence, the goalie had no chance. A cheer went up the team as they scored. Quickly running back to their side they waited for the other team to kick off. This time they ran straight forward trying to force their way though. George waited until the striker was about to kick before sliding from behind and taking the ball from him. George cleared the other team and booted it straight into the back of the net. This time the other team was more cautious, when Frank got the ball an elbow hot out and caught him in the chest. Will and the others were about to charge the other team when George got a hold of the ball and was pelting it to the other teams goal. Will caught up and began running alongside him in case he got tackled. A group of defenders ran up to tackle him.

“Pass the ball! Pass it George!’ Will waited for the ball, but all Geoorge did was turn and look at him with a look that caused Will to shiver. Suddenly the defenders were upon them and George lost the ball. Will managed to take it and was about to shoot, when someone grabbed the back of his shirt. He was thrown off his feet and fell to the ground on his back. A whistle went up and the game was over. Will turned around, ignoring the pain to try and figure out who yanked him, but the other team and his were merely looking at him and George.

‘why the hell did you do that!?!” Will shouted, angry by the fact they could have tied had his team mate not grabbed him. Instead of an answer all he got was a fist to his stomach. Doubling over in pain and shock he fell to the ground. Slowly he started to count to ten with tears forming around his eyes due to the pain. Eventually he started to focus again and could hear George say something.

“what you get for betraying your own kind. This is what you get for being a no good, filthy, arrogant, bast-“ Will punched him in the face, he heard the sickening crack as he broke George’s jaw. George fell to the ground and Will laid into him. Suddenly a pair of hands gripped him by the shoulders and dragged him clear. Turning half angry at who had done it he saw his father was the one pulling him away. A man rushed forward to help George, the head of the union.

“How dare your son do this to my boy! I’ll see you and your brat locked up for this.”

“SHUT YOUR MOUTH!’ Wills father screamed. ‘Your son attacked mine. We all saw it. And YOU didn’t do a damn thing to stop it. So do not blame my boy when your son gets what he deserves.” Will was so shocked by his father’s outburst that he almost forgot the pain in stomach. His father part dragged and part walked his on out of the field as David Burny shouted abuse at them after they were out of ear shot Will turned to his father.

“I’m sorry dad.”

“You got nothing to be sorry about son.’ He turned and gave Will a large grin. ‘I couldn’t have done better myself.”

mmaex5.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting consept! WIth the newspapers! Btw first pic in latest update is awesome!

Prologue: Part 4. Revolution

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

“William.’ His father said, “Go get your mother and sister then take them to the Study room.” Will set off towards the kitchen, it felt strange to him how such a big house could be so quite. A few days ago the butler and the lord had an argument and most of the servants had left. He reached the kitchen where his mother and sister were preparing lunch for Lord Healy. It was stale bread and salted meat. A few days after the football match his father stopped going into town, Will thought the lord would be angry he didn’t get the food from town but instead when he watched his father tell Healy why, the lord just slumped back into his chair.

“Dad says we’ve got to go to the Study room.” His mother looked up confused.

“Did he say why?”

“No. He just said to get you and Clair to the Study.” His mother turned to his sister who was playing with her doll on the floor next to her.

“Come on Clair.”

“But I’m playing with Taksy!”

“Take Taksy with you. Maybe Lord Healy will give you some more toys.” Clair jumped up and went off ahead of them. When they got to the study Healy and Will's father were sitting quitely. Claire ran in and jumped onto her fathers lap but Will was more hesitant. He waited with his mother next to where his father sat. It was then Will noticed the bags of luggage and the two men in the background. For a moment nothing was said, then Lord Helay sighed placed his head in his hands then stood up.

“Thank you all for coming. I'd half feared that when the rest of the staff had left you would follow but I am grateful that you stayed. Your family have served mine faithfully for generations. Your husband and father's brother fought under the command of my father in the war. It was a sad occasion for us both when neither returned home. I am now asking you to do the most important thing that my family have asked yours in generations. I want you to leave.” Will looked confused, but before he or his mother could speak a question his father was up.

“That will not happen my Lord. This land is as much ours as it is yours and my family will not be driven off it. I told you this before, there was no need to bring my family here.”

“Yes there is Thomas. I'm following my wife out of England to Canada. There is no future left for us here. To this end I have decided leave the deeds to the estate in your family name.” Will watched his father go pale, Will felt he too would as the implications of what were happening came apparent to him.

“You can't.”

“I have. This land, this house is yours now, your families now. I can not force you to go, but if you stay then this might as well be yours. I implore you though. Please leave.”

“No.” Thomas responded immediately.

“Please Thomas. You and -” Wills father cut him off.

“This house, this land is yours my Lord. While you are gone my family and I will look after it. When this is over I expect you to return sir. “ Lord Healy looked into Will's fathers eyes for a moment, before slumping his shoulders down and smiling.

“I wish you best of luck my friend. I will not forget this.”

“As will I my Lord.” With that, Lord Healy left the study, the two men following behind carrying his luggage. Thomas, Will, Claire and Sarah, Wills mother watched as the car drove off into the distance.

“What happens now dad?” Claire asked.

“I don't know.' he pulled Claire closer to him “I don't know.”

This is BBC radio, the news at four.

Troops were mobilised to bring the strike in South Wales to an end today, in what has been described as a “firm foot of the lower classes.” The decision to bring troops to break the strike has caused massive civil disturbance throughout the country. Protests have appeared in the cities Manchester, Glasgow, Liverpool, Cardiff and London as hundreds of people took the streets to protest the government. Philip Snowden has accused the Prime Minister of betraying the trust installed in him by the people. In a rare appearance Snowden is quoted as saying “That the people deserve better and that it is time to take a stand.” Along with his announcement was the announcement that several members of the SPB have announced their resignation other the PM's action. The Head of the Metropolitan Police force has appealed for people to remain in doors until events have ended.

2j2esle.jpg

This BBC radio, the news at eight.

Violence between protesters and troops erupted today as shots were fired between soldiers and protesters in what is being called the Battle of Bridgend. Reports are still contested but three people have been killed and dozens wounded. No comment has been made by the government but members of the SPB have called for the removal of the PM, the head of the Army and the Home Secretary.

232pf5.jpg

“Dad!' Will shouted. His father looked up at Will on top of the house. 'a car's coming!” Will's father quickly pulled his axe out of the tree he'd been cutting and ran back to the house. Will ran back to the door on the roof and then quickly ran down the stairs. He was a one floor down when he ran into his sister and mother playing on the stairs.

“Will! What's going on?”

“A car's coming to the house.”

“Do you know who?”

“No, I couldn't see from the roof." Will and the others went down the stairs to find Thomas pulling a rifle and a revolver from a cupboard.

“What are you doing Thomas!?!”

“Nothing Sarah. Just being prepared. Will, take the rifle and go out to the garage. Sarah, take Clair to the pavilion behind the house and wait there. You here anything, anything at all, I want you to run to the Samsons.”

“How dare you even think to use our son. What if something happen-”Will's father interrupted his mother and held her in his arms.

“Nothing will happen. Now go.' Will's mother left with Claire, Claire started crying and Will almost felt like joining her. His father handed Will the rifle while he tucked the revolver into his back pocket. “Remember what I taught you. Focus, breath and then aim.' Will's father looked down at him and his gaze softened. “Being brave is sometimes not looking afraid son. Remember tha-” The sound of the car coming up the path interrupted his father.

“Dad, I-”

“No more time son. Go!” Will ran outside the front doors and ran to the garage. Just as he closed the door he heard the car make the turn and pull up outside the entrance to the house. Will climbed up a ladder and took position just behind a window over looking the front of the house. The car door opened and four men climbed out. Three of them he didn't recognise, the last was David Burny and all of them were armed.

“Thomas! Come out Thomas, lets make this quick.” David shouted as the three other men took position next to him. Will's father stepped out a moment later, his arm held by his sides.

“David. What's going on?”

“Everything. We have finally united against the snobs. We've kicked the out of Wales and Scotland and we'll be have London by tomorrow. We've-' he motioned to the men with him. “won.”

“Nothing to do with me.”

“Of course it doesn't Thomas. Nothing to do with you. Your not one of us aren't you. You choose that pompous fool Healy instead of your own. We want Healy Thomas.”

“Healy's gone. He left days ago.” David stopped, he turned and then walked up to Thomas. Will trained his rifle on him, it shook slightly in his hands as he aimed.

“Where?” David asked quietly, almost too quite for Will to hear.

“Haven't got a clue.” Thomas replied. Will watched as David walked down the steps and back towards the car where the other men stood. Will sighed in relief and put the rifle down, too late he saw David turn around with a pistol in hand and fire. Will opened his mouth but nothing came out, he couldn't scream, he couldn't speak, he was drowning. His father reached up to his chest and touched the rapidly spreading red.

“You know. I never liked you Thomas. Your family always thought they were better than mine. Always.' He walked up to where Wills father stood and pushed him over. “ You got what you deserve for sticking with that fool Healy. But the real reason, the real one, is that your son laid hands on my bo-” Crack the rifle sounded as the bullet tore through the air and into David's arm, blowing the lower half of his arm straight from his body. For a moment time stood still, the Will realised he was holding the rifle and then the screaming started. Before he knew it he was dragged from the garage and in front of his father.

“Your little shi-” a fist, a kick, the butt of a weapon. Eventually it all became white pain, he couldn't feel anything. As he drifted in and out of reality he heard them talk.

“Go find the rest of the family! If the boy is here then the rest of them shouldn't be far.”

“ARGHHHH! Get me to a doctor now!”

“What about the rest of them?”

“Kill them you idiots!”

“Will!”

“Where'd you find them?”

“A building out back.”

“Daddy, get up daddy.” Will slowly regained conciousness. He say his sister and mother hunched over his fathers body. He watched as two men dragged them away and throw them against the front door.

“Go get him as well.” He heard one saw, and he felt one of them begin to drag him to the door. As they dragged him he was pulled over his fathers body.

“Dad.” Will croaked and reached out to grab him.

“Get him off of him.” One said as another grabbed hold of Will and together thy pulled him off. Will slid down the wall next to his mother and sister. He watched as the men backed off, and picked up their rifle. Claire started crying.

“Shush Claire. Just look at mummy. Mummy's here.” Will watched the men pulled back the bolt on their rifles. A crack of split air and one of them fell backwards. The two remaining men looked around confused before another one of them fell. The last one pushed Claire off her mother before grabbing Sarah and pulling her up for cover. Claire started screaming as the man put the gun to Sarah's back. Turning around frantically he tried to make out where the shots had come from, he put his back to Will. That's when Will fired. The revolver shook twice as he fired into the man's back, the force almost ripping the gun from his hands. The screaming stopped, the crying stopped, and Will finally felt everything stop as he drifted back into unconsciousness.

Authors note: This has probably been one of the hardest chapters to write. I struggled to debate whether the pros of creating something that developed my character this much was worth it. In the end I hope this will not impact on any of my readers. Barring anything impacting my schedule part 5 will be up before the end of the week.

To everyone who's commented and showed support for the AAR so far, thank you. It is appreciated.

Last edited:
Prologue: Part 5. Exodus

RMSTagus.jpg

- The RMS Tagus is widely regarded as a hero of the Exodus, not only travelling to Canada and back more than twice carrying refugees. It continued to do so even after threat of attack from the Synditern Government. The ship was eventually forced to cease after it was attacked by the French Navy in support of the British Synditern Government in 1926.

“William. It's time to wake up Will.” William opened his eyes. His mother and sister were sitting in the back of a car. Slowly he tired to move but shots of agony hit him from all over. Everything felt painful, any attempt to move was laboured and painful but eventually he managed to sit up straight. Claire was asleep in Sarah's arms. His mother looked at him as he sat up. She looked tired, her eyes were puffy and red, her hands and dress were covered in small splatters of blood.

“Dad?” Will croaked. She closed her eyes and looked down. Will would have cried if he could have but instead he felt numb. For a while they sat there as the car drove on through the night. Will couldn't see the driver, a screen blocked his view but he assumed it was the man who had saved them. For what seemed like hours he replayed what he could remember. There were men, they were armed and they wanted to kill dad, Claire, Sarah. He had to do it. He had to stop them. He fired- His father stood before him a look of bewilderment in his eyes as a red patch spread from his chest. Will started to scream. Suddenly he was awake, his mother nudged his shoulder. The car had stopped and the screen came down.

“Is everyone alright?” Healy said turning to face them.

“Healy?” Will croaked in surprise.

“They will be time for explanations later. I have booked us onto a cruise liner leaving tonight. We'll have to walk, the soldiers are stopping anyone in a car without a permit.' He opened the door and went to the left side of the car to help Sarah and Claire get out. Will gritted his teeth and pushed the door open. Stumbling out he managed to get himself out of the car, managing to stand up with the car as help. “Will. Can you walk?' Will grunted at Healy and pushed himself off the car managing a few paces without stumbling. “That will have to do. Come on.” Healy led them down a pathway into the town. After a few minutes of walking Claire woke up.

“Mummy, where are we?”

“Hush Missy. We're going on a walk.“

“Where's Taksy?”

“Please be quite Claire.”

“Everyone be quite!” Healy suddenly interrupted. Will waited a moment before hearing the sound of boots . Healy must have as well, as Healy led Will and the other behind a hedge. A minute later a dozen men walked by.

“Are you sure about this?”

“I'm telling you Picky Tom told me he saw a car out here.”

“If he saw a car deserted why didn't he take it.”

“Something about hearing someone. Said it might have been a trap by the Royals.” Will heard one of them spit.

“We rooted them out of here a week ago. No chance one of them is still around let alone fightin...” Will peered over the top of his hedge and watched as they walked down the path towards the car. He picked up his rifle and aimed at the one that had spit. He could tell that one was about to turn and look down the path. The moment he did Will would fir- A hand grabbed him form behind and yanked him down.

“Stay down!' Healy whispered urgently. A moment later Healy stood up and checked. “We're clear. Come on everyone.” Healy set off down the path leading the way. Will walked quicker to match Healy.

“What happened while I was asleep?”

“I walked down from the hill nearby and collected your mother and sister. I'm sorry about your father Will.' Will didn't reply. “As I arrived I saw two cars coming up the path. I couldn't risk taking him with us. After we got to my car I started driving to Cardiff. It's the only port in Wales still held by our troops.”

“What happened to my fathers revolver?” Healy looked up at him for a moment, a stunned look across his face.

“I- I understand, but not now. I'll give it to you the moment we're aboard.” Will and the others walked in silence for the rest of the journey to town. When they reached the town they sneaked in through a gap in a fence. Slowly they made their way to the port. Before they could go through the main entrance a dozen armed men appeared and blocked their path. Not just theirs but others. Over thirty people stood in line trying to enter the port while two armed men at the entrance checked their papers. As they got close to the entrance Healy turned to Will and the rest of Will's family and handed them some documents each. “These are your papers. When they ask who you are just give them them. Say nothing and just give them the papers.“ Will took his papers and waited. Just before they were about to be checked a guard stopped the group in front.

“Where's the girl's papers?”

“She's my daughter.” A man responded while brining out a passport.

“I don't care if she's a queen, she isn't getting on without the right forms.”

“She's my daughter for Gods Sake!”

“Then you either give her your papers or find another way to Canada. Next!” The guard shouted, another way moving the father and daughter out of the way.

“Papers...” The guard took all the documents and began flicking through them. He seemed to double check one of them before looking up. “Lord Healy?”

“Yes my good man?”

“I'm going to need to see some identification my Lord.”

“Of course.” Healy reached into his back pocket and produced a passport. The guard looked at the passport for a moment before handing it back.

“Sorry sir. We were told that you had already left the country.”

“Just my sister. This is my family.” The soldier looked Will, Claire and Sarah over. “Soldier. My documents are correct and the boat will leave in fifteen minutes. I have confirmed who I am and the documents of my family are correct. Is there anything else?” The soldier looked back at the papers for a moment before looking up.

“Go of through my Lord. I apologise for any inconvenience.”

“None at all my good man. We are all just trying to get by.” Healy said smiling. Will wondered how Helay managed to look so collected. A minute later they were finally on board. Will almost collapsed with relief as over time the shock had worn off and he was feeling the full agony of his injuries.

“Stay with me Will.” Healy said before putting an arm around Will's shoulder and helped him stand up.

“Where are we going?”

“Doctor. I made sure there was one on the boat.” Healy replied, Will began to feel slightly delirious due to the exhaustion.

“Why are you doing this?” he asked. Healy turned to look at Will. At this moment they reached the doctor's cabin and Healy was saved form a answer as the door opened.

refugees_homeless.jpg

-British Refugees

“The boy is covered in cuts and bruises. Nothing that will cause any permanent damage. All in all a fit young man. I am concerned by his current mental condition though.”

“What's wrong?” Healy asked concerned.

“I'm fairly sure he's suffering form a syndrome that we only recently discovered. It's a post traumatic stress disorder. The problem is that no one really has any idea how to deal with it. I've seen experiments from discussion therapy to electroshock.“

“Do any of these work?”

“I've seen all of them, but their success rate is always varied. All I know is that there is a young boy who screamed most of last night. If you want any chance of helping this boy, you need to find out what's wrong. I'm afraid that's all I can do right now.”

“Yes, thank you doctor. May I see him?”

“He's asleep right now, but feel free to check up on him.” Will laid back quickly and put covers over him.

“He looks clam now.”

“He has been for a couple of hours. I've spoken to the captain about getting to a ward set up. It seems that my services might be in use a lot more soon.”

“How so?"

“I've been told a ship was attacked along the north Irish coast yesterday. He plans to bring the wounded aboard.”

“Do we have the supplies for this?”

“At a stretch.”

“Is this really the life we have to lead. A group of exiles fleeing from their homeland.”

“I certainly hope not. Then again, was it not a few hundred years ago people from our land fled from tyranny and oppression to the Americas. Maybe history is set to repeat?”

“Who knows? I could use a drink though.”

The doctor grunted in approval and poured Healy a glass. Will watched in silence as the two men drank long into the night, before he finally gave into sleep.

24mthli.jpg

Last edited:
This is well-written, after a fashion, although the blatant spelling errors can be rather jarring. I'm not even sure if this should be a standard AAR; it seems to fit the mold of a written, intimate narrative more closely than a strategic overview.

Anyway, I appreciate the moral ambiguity on display here; Thomas isn't such a heroic figure, and his obvious lack of education makes him difficult to root for. At the same time, the socialists, while I agree with their views, are more than willing to vent their anger in markedly unpleasant ways. Will sorta reminds me of Scout, from "To Kill a Mockingbird;'' he's too naive and innocent to really understand what's going on, which ironically makes his perspective unblemished and reliable. I like that.

Anyway, try to fix those spelling errors (run it through a spell check, and, failing that, carefully go over your writing before posting,) and this will be a very good story.

Prologue: Part 6. Blockade

wvpuz9.png

- The RNS Hood first set sail in 1918, it was also the last battle cruiser commissioned by the Royal Navy. It was also one of the first ships to join with the Socialist rebels during the Revolution. In 1925 it headed the fleet that blockaded Iceland in the Icelandic Blockade that would damage Danish/Anglo relations for years to come.

The sea was calm. Its gentle waves glistened in the sunlight as it rocked the iron ship that sailed it. Will stood on the top deck holding on to a rail, looking into the water below. He could see the light that glistened but sometimes when a cloud covered the sun he could see darkness below the waters. It was subtle and sometimes he couldn’t see it but the light always brought it out if only for a second. Will heard the approaching footsteps but did not turn. He had become used to this routine.

“Will.” Healy said as he moved to place himself next to Will. Behind him Doctor Sheppard stood for a moment before he began.

"Do you know where you are?” the Doctor asked.

“I’m on a ship.”

“To what destination?”

“Canada.”

“Why?”

“Because we are refugees from England, with nowhere else to go.”

“What happened in England that made you leave?” Will didn’t respond. Instead he started walking down the deck to where the stairs to the lower levels where. The next day it began again.

“Will.”

“Do you know where you are?”

“I’m on a ship.”

“To what destination?”

“Canada.”

“Why?”

“Because we are refugees from England with nowhere else to go.”

“What happened Will?” Will turned and set off to the lower levels of the ship. The next day it would begin again. He moved through the ship his cabin. On the way he passed his mother cabin. He peered in through the slightly opened door. His mother lied on her bed, her back to the door. He couldn’t hear it but he could see the shudders and sobs of the woman who raised him and he couldn’t do anything. He walked back to his cabin and cried.

“Will.”

“Do you know where you are?”

“I’m on a ship.”

“To what destination?” Finally it became too much. He couldn’t take the constant question, the routine, all of it.

“Who cares?” He said turning to face them.

“Will-” Shepard interrupted.

“No! Who cares? No one on this ship cares. We are all just running away anyway. No one cares as long as we don’t go back. Is that not what you wanted to here? It’s the truth though. No one cares as long as we keep running like cowards.”

“What are you running from Will?”

“Maybe we're done here for today.” Healy interrupted. Will could see Shepard wanted to ask more but eventually gave in with a sigh.

“Fine. Will, we'll meet same time Tommie.”

This is CBS, the Canadian Broadcasting Service with the news at twelve.

Before we begin the new service we would like to remind you that the CBS has now taken over the BBC’s radio service. We will be supplying a temporary radio service to Canada and members of the Commonwealth until such a time as a permanent service can be created. Our first piece of news, the Island of Iceland has been placed under blockade by the new British government. They have demanded that the authorities of Iceland give up the refugees that fled to Iceland during the Revolution. The response from Denmark has been one of outrage and they have demanded the immediate removal of the blockade. Members of the German Empire have also called for military intervention to end the illegal blockade. Information released before the blockade indicates that at least six ships carrying refugees were and our still trapped in the dock. In other news ships carrying refugees seeking to dock in Ireland have been turned away. The Irish government has yet to comment.

“Will. What are you doing here?” Healy asked as Will walked into the doctor’s cabin and closed the door. Inside Healy and Shepard were sitting on two of the three chairs drinking.

“I came to apologise about my actions these last couple of days. You did not deserve it and I apologise.” Will waited but was surprised when he received no immediate response. After a moment Shepard leaned towards his desk and poured a glass of a dark brown liquid.

“It’s scotch. Drink it.’ Will picked up the glass and started drinking. “Why are you here?”

“I want to get on the shore sir.” Healy who had not taken his eyes of Will since his arrival shifted his head to Sheppard.

“I’m certainly willing to get him permission from the captain to go ashore,’ Will sat up right. “I will not want something in return though. I want you to answer a question truthfully. If I’m satisfied and Healy is you may leave.” Will battled with himself. He didn’t want to go where they wanted him to go.

“Ask?”

“What happened at your home?”

“I though Healy would have told you?”

“He told me what he could, your mother as well, but they weren’t there Will. I need to know what happened.” Will turned to Healy looking for some way to avoid what was going to happen. Instead he saw something in Healy he hadn’t seen before. Healy’s eyes looked tired, his face was lined and his hair grey, but in those eyes Will saw what he’d seen in the all those years ago. He remembered what his father had said that night and he started to talk.

By the time Will finished it was mid-afternoon. It felt strange to talk about it for so long. He’d talked unopposed up to the point when they reached the ship. Then Shepard asked his questions, every detail and every moment except Will.

“I think we’re almost done Will. I just want to know how you feel now?” After a moments thought Will replied.

“Nothing sir.” Shepard looked thoughtful for a moment before rubbing his forehead and pouring a drink.

“It's a start. I'll speak to the captain and get you a pass off ship. Healy?”

“I'm all for it. If you wan to earn some money, I can arrange for you to get work with some of the sailors if you'd like?”

“Thank you sir.”

Will crouched in the darkness. In his hands he gripped a rifle to his chest. His hands ached and felt slick with sweat, but he continued to grip the weapon as if it were his last hold on a cliff. In the distance a light shone into the darkness. Slowly he crept towards it, careful to avoid the blood on the floor. Sometimes he would have to climb over the bodies that littered his path, when he crossed over he would find himself covered in nicks and grazes. As he got closer to the light the pile of bodies became higher and higher and when he crossed over them he would find himself with wounds much worse than before. Eventually he staggered to the light, he stumbled and crawled, his body broken, his flesh ripped and then with a terror eating his skin to his bones he would gaze through the light and at the leering face that looked back. In the last moments, he understood the dream in dreadful clarity but as he woke in the crisp morning air of Iceland the clarity would fade along with the dream into another nameless nightmare.

Will woke from his dream covered in sweat, his shirt stuck to his skin like a second layer. After a moment he sat up right and went to the bath where he soaked in water till the first rays on sunlight shone through his window. When he was sure to find Doctor Sheppard and Lord Healy awake he left his cabin and went towards the smoking room. As Will walked from his cabin he passed the cabin of his mother and sisters. Through a crack he saw his mother sitting on a chair looking out the window. Will walked in.

“Mum.” He said as he entered. His mother turned her head and smiled at him.

“William.” She said sounding loving before turning back to the sea, he saw nothing in her eyes to conform that though.

“I’m going off the ship today. Healy has gotten me a job helping the sailors put supplies on the ship.”

“That’s good Will.” She said without turning.

“I can get you or Claire something if you like?”

“No thank you William.” Will looked for something to say to avoid the silence that was coming. Looking around he saw a doll on the floor. Picking it off the floor he placed it on a table.

“How’s Claire?”

“She’s fine. Healy gave her a new doll yesterday.”

“That’s good.” He said quickly hoping to get a response from Sarah, but after several moments he gave up. “Please, if there is anything at all I-“ Suddenly he felt the same anger he had felt in previous days, the feeling of helplessness and anger he’d felt when he saw his mother crying. Will walked to the door.

Titanic_parlor.jpg

- A classic smoking room.

The Smoking room was largely deserted. Many of the passengers had chosen to leave the ship when they first arrived at Reykjavik. Inside Shepard and Healy were waiting at a table with the Capitan of the ship.

“William. Please sit, this is Captain Hoskins.” Shepard waited until William sat down before continuing. “We have discussed the situation and the Captain has agreed to give you a pass off ship.”

“I was informed of what happened to you before you left the ship. You have my condolences, but so does everyone on this ship. They all have their own stories and wallowing in self-pity will not solve help. To this end I have decided to allow Lord Healy’s request.” The Captain nodded towards Healy. “At midday you will join the rest of the crew in resupplying the vessel. I am a firm believer in hard work and rest assured you will work for your pay. At the end of the day you will be free to do as you wish, but only as long as you work.”

“Thank you, where should I go to join the crew.” Will said relived to finally leave the vessel.

“Go to the dock and look for Able Seaman O’Connor. He’ll assign your duties.” Will stood up to leave.

“William.” Healy said as Will was about to leave. Healy walked to William till the two stood next to each other. “Have you seen your mother recently? She misses you William.” He thought back to earlier that morning. “Just think about it.”

Authors note: I'm sorry about how long this has taken to get up. I've been working on a website that has taken a lot of my spare time. The above is actually the first part of this chapter. The next part should be up soon.

Last edited:
@Tim: Thanks. :D

__________________________________________________ _________________

Prologue: Part 7. Three guys walk into a bar...

25kpmif.png

“Yuri! Yuri, get over here and look at this.” Yuri looked up from the pint he’d been nursing for the last ten minutes.

“What is it Karl?” he groaned. He was currently involved in an internal struggle between going back to the office to explain why he had not been at work for a day or spend another hour avoiding the sunlight and try to finish the pint of ‘ale’ a long since passed out English sailor had brought. After a day of it he could safely say he had yet to grow accustomed to the taste.

“It’s one of those posters that have been popping up.”

“What one?” he said, desperately trying to drown out the sound of life as his head ache returned.

“One with a fist of red and F-F…”

“What’s wrong?”

“Something’s wrong with the word?”

“What? Let me check.” Karl shifted his weight and leaned backwards. He then propelled himself forward using the force to pull himself upright. He may not have needed it, but he had become increasingly suspicious over the day that perhaps he should be careful. The same suspicion kept reminding him of an incident with the horse, but not quite remembering what it was he assumed it had ended well. After a moment to gain his balance he shuffled over to his friend’s side of the table and peered at the poster behind his head. “Where’s the problem?”

“Here. I…I can’t-“ he leaned forward covering his mouth.

“Are you…” After a moment Karl looked up.

“I’m fine.” He burped. “Try and read that.” He said pointing at the poster before pouring himself another drink. Yuri lent forward, the word looked strangely misty. After a moment he managed to make it out.

“Freedom.” He said aloud. Since leaving Russia for Iceland he picked up some English.

“No it’s not.”

“What do you mean?” He said confused.

“Look, look at that.” He said pointing at the word.

“That? The r?”

“Yes!” he shouted slamming his glass on his table and pilling the majority of its contents onto his trousers.

“What about it?” he asked increasingly confused and swaying slightly on his feet.
“It’s backwards.”

“Really? So it is. Still means freedom though.” he said peering closely. Yuri watched Karl as he registered the information. He imagined he could almost see the gears in his head trying to comprehend. He watched as Karl slowly tipped his glass pouring the remaining contents onto his lap. After an excruciatingly long time Karl looked up at Yuri.

“That makes no sense.” Yuri struggled to come up with an appropriate response.

“I-“ At that moment the door opened letting in the cold and hellish light of the outside world. In through the doorway three men walked in, each wearing a trench coat with a badge that marked them out as sailors. One of them with a beard ordered a drink at the bar while the others sat at a table. Yuri shook Karl. “We’re in business.” Karl’s demeanour changed immediately. The drunken slouch he had adopted disappeared in an instant. If it had not been for the last few months they’d spent in Iceland he would have been surprised. Yuri nodded to the bar tender as they moved to the three men’s table. The bar tender shuffled from the bar to the door flipping the close sign.

“What do you two want?” The bearded man said in what Yuri imagined was Scottish accent.

“Just wondering if we could join you?”

“You seem to have plenty of space?” Karl said while pulling up a chair opposite the men.

“Did we say you could sit down?” The man left of the Scotsman said placing his hands on the table.

“Depends my friend.” Karl responded as Yuri sat next to Karl. The man on the left stood up angrily.

“I’ve had enough. Get out of here.” He said moving towards them.

“That’s no way to treat friends. It would be like picking up a throwing a penny.” Karl responded before the man reached them. The words had a sudden effect on the three men. Each one stiffened and the man walking towards them stopped midstride. “I suggest you go back to your seat my friend.” The other man walked backwards to his seat, his eyes fixed on Karl and Yuri.

“You’re not meant to be here for another week.” The Scotsman said, the only one that looked calm and collected out of all three of them.

“Things change.” Yuri said, before continuing he made sure he had their attention. This was vitally important. “We want an update.” After a moment two of the men turned their heads slightly to the Scotsman.

“The refugee ships aren’t budging. We expect that it will be two more weeks before the ships run out of supplies. A month before they have to make a brake.”

“That won’t do. The blockade can only stay in place for another week at most.” Karl responded disappointed while Yuri did his best to make them as uncomfortable as possible. The three men looked nervous. “What are the rest of your networks plan to rectify this?”

“We are planning to incite the population against the refugees. We are going to start fires in warehouses by the docks. “

“You intend to threaten the life blood of Iceland to force a resolution.” Yuri commented. He loved this part of the game. Yuri had always felt it was important to keep them on their toes.

“We-“ The Scotsman tried to say before Karl cut him off.

“I am pleased.” He said, the men at the table visibly slumped in relief. “I just have one last question. You have been receiving your orders from another in the network. We have reason to believe that he may be a traitor to the cause. I implore you for the future of the revolution. You must tell us what name he used and what he looked like.” The two men once again looked to the Scotsman once again, for the first time since they had met the Scotsman looked nervous.

“His name is Harrow…” The Scotsman eye’s suddenly narrowed. Yuri turned his head slightly and saw the empty holster showing in a gap in Karl’s coat. The Scotsman turned to Yuri. He opened his mouth to yell when Yuri fired. The first bullet hit the man on the right, Karl’s own shot followed hitting the man on the left while the second pistol in his other hand fired into the Scotsman. In less than a second it was over. Standing, Yuri and Karl made their way to the entrance of the bar.

“Excuse me gentlemen?” The bar keep interrupted. Karl turned and produced a roll of money from his pocket.

“Sorry my good man, this should cover it?” He said handing over several notes.

“What about the bodies?” The old man asked. Sighing Karl handed over ten more notes. “Thank you for your custom sirs.” He said before shuffling over to the bodies.

“What do you think they’ll say when we get to the officer?” Yuri asked.

“They’ll say it’s stupid.”

“What?” Yuri asked confused.

“The poster.” Yuri thought about arguing but decided to deal with more piratical matters.

"What do we do now?"

"Now? Now we go looking for a man called Harrow."

i%20was%20a%20spy.jpg

-While a great deal of debate still regards this period of time it is impossible to deny the covert operations that took place. A focus point of these became the Blockade of Iceland though neither side has taken responsibility for the events that took place there.

__________________________________________________ _________________

Authors note: Yuri and Karl will return.

Last edited:
Good luck! Can't wait for it. Canada is my favorite country to annex after I finish the ACW ;)