• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hallsten said:
Vista is a real b*tch with a lot of programs. Hopefully SP1 will deal with this.
Good thing I dont have Vista. :cool:

I know what you mean though. I have a friend who has Vista and I couldnt get the GG downloaded to work on his PC. HoI2DD didnt work either for some reason, even patched.

germanpeon said:
Good thing I dont have Vista. :cool:

I know what you mean though. I have a friend who has Vista and I couldnt get the GG downloaded to work on his PC. HoI2DD didnt work either for some reason, even patched.
It was the same thing when SP2 for WinXP was released - a lot of programs and games suddenly got buggy or ceased to work entirely. If anyone is to blame it's them.

I've been able to make Vista Home Premium work with Rome just by installing the latest DirectX9. I haven't had to run it in compatibility mode.

I'm not saying other Vista users won't have a problem (Lord knows Vista hates lots of things), but there may be some other problem at the root of these issues.

Johan said:
thats not the latest version though.

Uh, so what IS this installation, does it add Direct X support to browsers or something of the like? Because the description for the installation is

March 2008
The Microsoft DirectX® End-User Runtime provides updates to 9.0c and previous versions of DirectX

orwell said:
Uh, so what IS this installation, does it add Direct X support to browsers or something of the like? Because the description for the installation is
There are multiple versions of DirectX 9.0c. For some reason, Microsoft insists on calling them all DirectX 9.0c, confusing a lot of people.

Prussian Prince said:
2 things here.

Been using Vista for some time now. Once you install the game/demo right click and go to compatability (from the desk top icon). Click on XP Service pack 2 and save. This has helped me in all my other games on vista. Had a major problem witrh War in the Pacific but this fixed it. Since I don't have the game yet (Pre-Ordered) will have to wait an see if this helps.
this did not help. You only clicked Microsoft Windows XP (Service Pack 2)? Or did you go more advanced?

comagoosie said:
this did not help. You only clicked Microsoft Windows XP (Service Pack 2)? Or did you go more advanced?

Did not have to go into more adavanced settings. Let me clarify something else. I just bought this new computer in December. My old computer that I upgraded to Vista had major problems running XP programs. I have read on many blogs that upgrading has caused a lot of problems but if you buy a new computer with Vista installed it runs smoother with fewer problems. On my new Vista computer I have not had any problems since putting everything that didn't work at first into compatability mode. Also before you install explore the file and right click on the setup icon and put it into compatability mode. This has helped me on programs that had istallation problems. Vista is a B1tch but I like it (ducks to avoid various objects that are being thrown :p :rolleyes: ).

After I accept the license agreement for DirectX (on my Vista computer) there is an internal error and DirectX install fails.

Hajji Giray I said:
After I accept the license agreement for DirectX (on my Vista computer) there is an internal error and DirectX install fails.
That's pretty weird.

I've seen DirectX refuse to install itself, but it will specifically say that you are up to date and close itself all nice and neat.

Are you running Vista 64 or something like that? Maybe you need a different installer? :wacko:

Secret Master said:
That's pretty weird.

I've seen DirectX refuse to install itself, but it will specifically say that you are up to date and close itself all nice and neat.

Are you running Vista 64 or something like that? Maybe you need a different installer? :wacko:
I have no clue. I had the same problem a few months ago with SimCity 4, and I don't actually know what Vista 64 is. DirectX just won't install, and didn't last time, so I'll probably just give up. It's very frustrating :mad: .

I Have a Vista 32 Professional OS. After installing the game's demo, it would start, but immediatelly crash with an error message saying nothing too explicit.

I've tried to run it in winXP SP2 compatibility mode -> the same result.
I've installed the latest DirectX (DX 9.0c march 2008) -> the same result.

I've set the game to run with administrator privilleges = it run perfectly well.

So, I'd say all Vista's problems are in fact caused that the game doesn't use a temp directory, or doesn't store's it's re-writing data, temporary or permanent one, in a fodler in which the game has access as a common program, without administrator user credentials. This equals = bad programming, without moving the needing to be re-written data from program's install folder to it's application data folder.

adonys said:
I Have a Vista 32 Professional OS. After installing the game's demo, it would start, but immediatelly crash with an error message saying nothing too explicit.

I've tried to run it in winXP SP2 compatibility mode -> the same result.
I've installed the latest DirectX (DX 9.0c march 2008) -> the same result.

I've set the game to run with administrator privilleges = it run perfectly well.

So, I'd say all Vista's problems are in fact caused that the game doesn't use a temp directory, or doesn't store's it's re-writing data, temporary or permanent one, in a fodler in which the game has access as a common program, without administrator user credentials. This equals = bad programming, without moving the needing to be re-written data from program's install folder to it's application data folder.

the demo shouldnt be writing anything to disk I think, but you may be on to something here with the admin permissions. Anyone else did this and solved their problem?

of course it could just be good luck, some vista owners run fine sometimes, and crash consistently at other times.

You didn't understood, I'm afraid. A program, once installed on disk, it would usually store program's saved settings data, or game saves, into files inside its installation folder.

In XP, that's not a problem at all, but in Vista, a program doesn't run with administrator credentials, unless specifically stated so, and a rpogram which doesn't have administrator rights, can't write anything if installed in Program Files folder, or even to other folders without writing for everyone right granted. Vista OS design specifies that all program's data must be stored in a folder of that program inside Application Data folder.

To me, it seems that EU Rome demo tries to store/write some data in a folder it shouldn't, and in which it can't, then probably tries to use that data, which, as it couldn't be saved from the beginning, of course it would lead to crashes.

My (game developer) two cents :rolleyes: