• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fernando Torres

Darkest Hour Game Designer
48 Badges
Dec 2, 2006
rayan-nezzar.fr
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Elven Legacy Collection
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Iron Cross
  • Legio
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
Defenders of Arnania Quick Overview
None shall pass

I had the opportunity to sit down and listen to Mattias Lilja portraying his upcoming Defenders of Ardania game. Scheduled for September, the game will be available on several plat-forms, including PC, Ipad, Playstation network and Xbox live arcade.

Defenders of Ardania is, as its core, a tower defense game which consists in sending units to destroy the enemy's castle. Different kind of units are available, including fast, heavy and flying units, all heading to your castle to your enemy's, but also units which can fight either against enemy fighting units or enemy towers.
Recruiting them costs money, just as building new towers does. These towers move up, in the sense that available spots get closer to the enemy's castle as you build them, to the point that you can end up building towers in your enemy's backyard!
Players also have access to different spells that use money and can either seek to defeat enemy's units or towers, or protect yours. Money regenerates over time, but can also be granted when enemy units are being killed or when friendly units manage to make their way into the enemy base.

We played the Ipad version, which is roughly similar to the PC one. The campaign starts fairly easily, as a sort of tutorial. The story then builds up around the need to help your king. Three factions are featured in it, and you play as the civilists. Although these factions have different units, they have roughly the same abilities. The multiplayer game on the other hand can be played at 2 on the Ipad version and up to 4 on the PC version.

Generally speaking, the game plays out surprisingly well. For not only is it fairly intuitive and straightforward, but it's also a lot of fun. Although I did see the trailer before attending the E3, I did not really try to grab more information on that game. But now I'm really caught and, given its cheap price, I'd highly recommend it when it's out.
As a side note, a couple of DLCs are also in the works, including new races, towers and maps.

Rayan Nezzar from the E3

I don't know what a "tower defence game" is.

Is this game a 1vs1 RTS where one dude builds a castle and the other an army to attack it?

Why not Android? There 23 million Android users in America alone, now, and in many places abroad there are more Android users than iPhone and iPad users. It's time to broaden our horizons.