• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You can get more leaders from this submode here... if you want to solve this problem permanently. I think having plenty of leaders is more important for the gaming experience, than it is "gamey"... for those thinking that modding the game like that is gamey/cheating.

while I can't comment on French generals, I have noticed that for Germany, several generals, who were commanding divisions as early as 1936, only became available in, say, 1940 or even later.

might be something worth looking into before your game advances too far. It's not cheating if you just want what they had back then.

You can get more leaders from this submode here... if you want to solve this problem permanently. I think having plenty of leaders is more important for the gaming experience, than it is "gamey"... for those thinking that modding the game like that is gamey/cheating.
I'd agree with that statement. Still I'm going to stick to this one with no modifications.

while I can't comment on French generals, I have noticed that for Germany, several generals, who were commanding divisions as early as 1936, only became available in, say, 1940 or even later.

might be something worth looking into before your game advances too far. It's not cheating if you just want what they had back then.
Now that you mention it I do remember Rommel and others do not become avaliable for Germany until later. Looking at France right now I don't have Charles de Gaulle so I will get more leaders later.

Now that you mention it I do remember Rommel and others do not become avaliable for Germany until later. Looking at France right now I don't have Charles de Gaulle so I will get more leaders later.

Don´t worry, even Mongolia and Tannu Tuva get leaders in 1938! :D

those 2 are completely natural, actually, since both were only colonels when the war started and De Gaulle was "only" in command of a tank brigade in may 1940.

Building a Nation

I let a day pass so the computer can get the sliders and trade information all updated then paused it again to fix my sliders and begin production. To begin with I can put about 35-36 IC towards production. Immediately began with fully building up airbases at Metz and Lille to hopefully one day support a mighty bomber force (if I can hold the provs of course). Four infantry divisions and an artillery brigade are also put into production. That’s it, easy to spend 35 IC. My plan for production is to get enough infantry divisions finished to fill out my armies. I also want enough artillery brigades to give one to each of my starting infantry divisions.

faar10.jpg

My infantry divisions will be 3 inf, 1 art. I originally wanted 2 inf, 1 art to have more divisions to shuffle around the front. However, once looking at the military leaders I simply don’t think I would have enough leaders for every division.

In a move that may cause problems I will be leaving basic training in place instead of going to specialized training. I hate to do this especially when my manpower is precious and I need the most out of units. I’m choosing speed over the experience. My army needs to be in place before the Germans attack. Hoping this move will help France’s low IC. The French Army will have to gain experience the hard way.

While the game is running more effort was put into refining the OOB (mainly for something to do if I’m honest, but it will be less work later). I’d like to have four armies by the time the shooting starts. Two armies to hold the Belgium border (or as much as Belgium as they can), one army to hold the Maginot Line, and one army to hold the border with Italy. They will have varying strengths the two armies along Belgium being the strongest.

Trade isn’t high on my list. I let the AI make me offers. The UK and US should be able to provide whatever I need. I’ve accepted deals from the US and Australia to help stabilize my resources.

On January 25th I had some extra IC freed up so I put another artillery brigade into production. At this time I switched my internal spies to the long task of raising national unity. Sent my spies into Germany once ten spies get in they will be put on the mission to raise threat.

March 3rd IC is freed up from reinforcements and I put an artillery brigade into production. All military units are now in mainland France and I’m currently folding them into Army Group A commands.

On April 20th, 4 infantry divisions and an artillery brigade finished and I put the same amount back into production. Consumer goods demand is starting a slow decline so as this happens I will funnel the extra IC into supplies until I get enough to start an artillery brigade.

August 6th a group of four infantry and one artillery brigade is finished and the same is again added to the production list. I am now official out of military leaders. The Maginot Line might have to be gutted of leadership during the war to get more leaders to fighting divisions.

On the research end of things the infantry techs were the first to finish. I’ve added the mountain warfare equipment, arctic warfare equipment, the two anti-tank upgrades, the two anti-air upgrades, 2 armored cars and all the remaining 1918 land doctrine tech to the research queue. In short whatever is left besides naval techs that is still at 1936 or below. I usually will research techs from the current year I’m in. The exceptions will be the techs I feel are important. Agricultural and education will always get the highest priority especially in this game with France.

Here is how the army is currently deployed:

faar11.jpg

4th Army is deployed across the Maginot Line. Two divisions per province and I’m banking on that to hold. Two divisions are in reserve but I will most likely redeploy them elsewhere.

3rd Army is deployed above the 4th Army and will hold down the Belgium frontier and either hold the line or rush into Belgium to help them.

5th Army will move to the Italian boarder and garrison it. It won’t be nearly as strong as the other armies. It has all of mountain and special brigades and will have 2-3 corps when all is said and done. I have it where it is now to benefit from the logistics wizard.

1st Armored Army is a powerful force as you can clearly see from the blue tanks around it. Well that’s the plan anyway. It does have some light and medium tanks but it mostly cavalry right now. I need this to be an elite fighting unit by 1939. It will have a lot on its plate. It will need to blunt the German blitzkrieg and spearhead my own attack. If that fails it will be my mobile reserve and rush to whatever front it is needed at.

Well August 6, 1936 is as good a place as any to take a break. National unity is at 53% still a long way off from what I need. To end things up here is what currently is in production.

faar12.jpg
faar13.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah , continue the build up ...

But if you'd want to be truly historical , any half-decent player would never lose having twice as much men as the germans.

Correlation of Forces

Not a whole lot to talk about so far. Several artillery brigades finished at different times and I did the usually with them. Gave them to an infantry division with no artillery and placed another in the production queue. On October 17 operational level organization finished and I moved it to the top of the research list. Very hard to argue against the value of this tech.

November 20, 1936 A batch of four infantry divisions and an artillery brigade finished up. Due to a lack of leaders I won’t be able to cover all the new divisions and get the logistics wizard benefit. Artillery seems to be the way to go right now. 21 more artillery brigades are still needed to cover the infantry divisions without any. 57.44 IC are available to put towards production. Total supplies are at 23,000 this will be enough to allow all supply IC to be put into production. The extra IC allowed for 15 artillery brigades to be put into production.

When January 1, 1937 it seemed like a good time to get some useful techs going. The following techs were moved up to the top of my research list.

Mechanical Computing machine
Education
Agriculture
Industrial Efficiency
Industrial Production
Four Light Tank techs

I think they are all needed. Bonuses to research, MP, LS, and IC made them easy choices. I might be making a mistake going early with the light tank techs but I want to make sure I have SP-Art for my tanks before the war starts.

Since this update is so short I will go into my plans for the war. I deleted all my units (good thing I remembered to save first) so you could better see what I’m doing.

faar14.jpg

This is my planned deployment. 1st Army won’t physically be there, it will be an ad hoc army put together from forces of the other armies if Nationalist Spain joins the axis. The 5th Army will handle Italy most likely they will just sit back and hold the line. 4th Army will defend the Maginot Line.

1. Armored Army will be a lot closer to the front just placed them there so everything is easier to read. They will lead the charge into Belgium and secure positions till the 2nd and 3rd armies move in to relieve them. The yellow line in the picture would be my new front. Belgium has a few forts and a lot of rivers. I want to make a defensive line in Belgium and take advantage of these. I’m sure some players could go successfully on the offensive against Germany at this point but I doubt I will be able to do that, I will try of course. My main mission will be to try and cut off and destroy as many German units as I can as they invade the Low Countries. Luxemburg will have to be saved or retaken to make the new line easier to defend.

One nice thing about moving into Belgium is it will shorten the line of provinces I have to defend no matter what. Even if I’m only able to take a few it will still shorten the line. I will most likely build some land forts in France along the border just in case. Probably just a line of level 1 forts can’t hurt to be prepared. I also would like to improve my construction practical to build up some infrastructure so it is a win-win. I’ll have to see how much IC I have to spare.

My plans will have to change somewhat I’ll need to rely more heavily on my air force than I originally intended to. With low manpower and not enough military leaders it makes sense to invest more in the air force. My biggest concern with that is LS. Not sure if France’s LS is enough to keep the army AND air force up to date.

I might go ahead and get radar research going as soon as the year is close enough. Building radars in Metz and Lille could compensate for a lack of tech/doctrine.

2 cents. From when I played France.

You might have supply problems in Belgium if you help them stand. This will make a push in the Netherlands difficult. However if they fall you will have to fight back over river and through fortifications and forests. Its not an easy Fight. Its a trade off some Belgian divisions or better supply but a loss of MP.

Don t forget to place allied objectives in your ports for those important exp forces.

When I played France the war became trench warfare and I raged quited once SU DOW Ger and took all of Germany. Does this still happen?

EDIT: One more thing. You and the UK together should out produce Germany in MP terms. So I wouldn't really worry about it. Your on the defense so Germany will be taking heavy casualties.

Nationalist Spain is hard coded to not join the Axis unless London and Gibraltar have fallen to axis hands, so you won't need to worry about them.

Nationalist Spain is hard coded to not join the Axis unless London and Gibraltar have fallen to axis hands, so you won't need to worry about them.

not anymore! they CAN join the Axis whenever they're ready!!!!

Despite still not having said anything I'm following this AAR with great interest. :) That said, I think you are making a (serious) mistake due to the massive use of only artillery to support the infantry. In this version of the game this is a very risky bet due to poor performance of anti-tank infantry weapons. IMO against Germany a much less risky composition for the divisions would be 2 INF+1ART+1AT or 3INF+1AT. If the industrial capacity permits, the ideal composition to defeat Germany quickly would be: 1 LARM+1INF+1ART+1AT. My spearheads divisions would be 1 (H) ARM, 1 MOT, 1SPART and 1 TD (if SPART is impossible I would replace it with another ARM or MOT). To take maximum advantage of victories 2-3 divisions of 1LARM+1(or 2) MOT are very handy. I hope I am not misunderstood; I am only trying to help. :)

Last edited:
Don't build forts. If one falls, then the Germans will be able to surround your units and starve them to death. The alternative is to abandon the forts, but then you'll have to fight to regain them - that doesn't sound pleasant, now does it?

Are you going to help Republican Spain in the civil war?
No not really, the most I’ll be able to do is accept whatever trades they offer me.

2 cents. From when I played France.

You might have supply problems in Belgium if you help them stand. This will make a push in the Netherlands difficult. However if they fall you will have to fight back over river and through fortifications and forests. Its not an easy Fight. Its a trade off some Belgian divisions or better supply but a loss of MP.

Don t forget to place allied objectives in your ports for those important exp forces.

When I played France the war became trench warfare and I raged quited once SU DOW Ger and took all of Germany. Does this still happen?

EDIT: One more thing. You and the UK together should out produce Germany in MP terms. So I wouldn't really worry about it. Your on the defense so Germany will be taking heavy casualties.
That is something to think about with Belgium. It will be hard enough to fight Germany let alone without full supplies. Hoping to aviod trench warfare with France

Despite still not having said anything I'm following this AAR with great interest. :) That said, I think you are making a (serious) mistake due to the massive use of only artillery to support the infantry. In this version of the game this is a very risky bet due to poor performance of anti-tank infantry weapons. IMO against Germany a much less risky composition for the divisions would be 2 INF+1ART+1AT or 3INF+1AT. If the industrial capacity permits, the ideal composition to defeat Germany quickly would be: 1 LARM+1INF+1ART+1AT. My spearheads divisions would be 1 (H) ARM, 1 MOT, 1SPART and 1 TD (if SPART is impossible I would replace it with another ARM or MOT). To take maximum advantage of victories 2-3 divisions of 1LARM+1(or 2) MOT are very handy. I hope I am not misunderstood; I am only trying to help. :)
No need to worry, help all you want. It might be a mistake to not add an anti-tank brigade in with the odd infantry division. I’m relying on my armor to fight off the German tanks. I will have some divisions that are 2 or 1 mot and 2 TD to go to any unit under attack from panzers. The front lines in France aren’t very big they should get to any spot in danger in plenty of time.

Don't build forts. If one falls, then the Germans will be able to surround your units and starve them to death. The alternative is to abandon the forts, but then you'll have to fight to regain them - that doesn't sound pleasant, now does it?
They will help out with my construction practical as I want to build some infrastructure. Besides they may save me if the army isn’t strong enough to stop the Germans on their own. No need to worry about retaking forts, if they fall so will Paris :) I will say though that it might not be worth the IC cost for France.

No need to worry, help all you want. It might be a mistake to not add an anti-tank brigade in with the odd infantry division. I’m relying on my armor to fight off the German tanks. I will have some divisions that are 2 or 1 mot and 2 TD to go to any unit under attack from panzers. The front lines in France aren’t very big they should get to any spot in danger in plenty of time.

Although that strategy might work well, there is a risk of losing the initiative. With the support of anti-tank brigades, infantry can withstand the onslaught of tanks without yielding; because of this the French armored divisions will be free to devote themselves only to offensive tasks. By the way the reason why I propose the use of light tanks in support of infantry, is precisely to take advantage of the inability of the German infantry to penetrate the armor of light tanks. Up to date light and medium tanks can only be penetrated by anti-tank brigades. In my campaign in the Soviet Union I will take a huge advantage of this. Okay now I'll shut up! ;) :)

Last edited:
France Becomes Stronger

As units finish building I added art as I could afford it. Needless to say I now have enough art in production to cover my infantry divisions that need them.

March 5, 1937 my big run of 15 art is finished. After some thought between a interceptor or some more infantry I went with the infantry. Six more infantry divisions were added. While I had the game paused deciding what to build I noticed a mistake. I foolishly wasn’t watching how many free spies were on the toolbar it was at zero. I lost all my spies in Germany. Don’t know how long this was going on for, should have been paying better attention this could have been devastating if it would have affected raising national unity in France. Leadership was shifted from technology to intelligence until the free spies built back up.

On March 15 the work the spies have done is starting to pay off. France is at 60% unity and with it comes the option to change economic laws to full mobilization. This releases a lot of France’s IC. It gets rid of the -50% IC that France starts out with.
faar15.jpg

Went to March 16 to see how much actual IC is gained. After moving my sliders in place (there was a CG increase of about 4 or so) I now have 25 free IC in production this isn’t including the 16 IC I put into supplies. With 17,000 supplies I have the option to use that 16 IC if I choose to. I decided on getting the army filled out. Took some IC that was for supplies and moved it into production so 7 infantry divisions could be made. With this 7 and 6 already in the queue I will move closer to being able to close the border and garrison the Belgium frontier.

On April 1 free spies are up to 52 so all LS will go back into research. That should keep the spooks running for awhile at any rate. The spies have earned their keep with full mobilization alone need to keep it going.

On May 7 the French IC gets another shot in the arm as war economy becomes available. Not sure why this became available to me at this point. I’m guessing my neutrality lowered enough from the threat of Germany so chalk one up again for those spies. On May 18 the finally round of art would be finished so I just waited until then before I started more production. The extra was put in supplies until then. When the art was finished, 8 infantry divisions were put into the queue, this will fill the 3rd and 4th armies completely. Around this time more military leaders become available, enough to get every division a leader. Even better a skill level 4 was in the group. He was given the command of Army Group A. I was watching for the supply reduction, never knew exactly how much it was. Wasn’t as big a deal as I thought, went from 17.47 to 16.57. Well I guess every bit counts, I’ll take it.

faar16.jpg

On June 17 six infantry divisions finished and again I’m out of military leaders. These divisions allowed the creation of the 2nd army which will be needed to fill the hole from the coast to the 3rd army’s flank. The creation of the 2nd army forced a OOB change. The 5th army would have to be move out. Army Group A has 5 armies under its command and 2nd army needs room. The 5th was transferred to the Southern France HQ where it was intended to be anyways. Again another batch of infantry was nearly finished so I put the extra supplies into IC until then.

On June 20 the 2 air bases at Lille and Metz finish and are upgraded to the max. This reminde me that I really need to start building the air force. Just never is enough IC. Will be easier once the army is ready to get in for interceptors and CAS.

More divisions come off the line and are ready for deployment. With the IC freed up the time has come to build up the armored force into something intimidating. Had enough IC to upgrade the entire lot of cavalry and all of the light armor but one to medium armor.

September 1, all but two of the infantry divisions are finished. I had to add another one to the queue, I must have added wrong. When those two divisions finish I will have a full strength corps in every province from Dunkerque to Longuyon. IC could no longer be borrowed from supplies, constantly underfunding has depleted them. IC was therefore moved back into supplies to build the stockpile back up.

faar17.jpg

faar18.jpg

By mid October things started to come along in some areas. The armor updated and the bonus was good enough to finish the others that were due in late November. It was nice to see armor theory and practical helping things along. Japan joined the Axis around this date as well but that is expected. Getting back to producing, the last light armor began its upgrade to medium. Six armored brigades and one motorized brigade are put into production. Once finished these combined with my other tanks will give me a 6 armored divisions made up of 2 medium armor tanks and 1 motorized. The SP-Art becomes available they will each receive one. Nine forts along the Belgium boarder have started, always good to have a fallback position. I needed two alpine and one mountain brigade to round out the 5th Army. For some reason I could only build one alpine brigade and not two don’t know why. Also added a division consisting of 2 TD and 1 Mot is case the Italians try and get cute and get some armor. There is already a motorized brigade still in the 5th army that I missed so I will combine it with that division when it finishes up. To finish off my production for the year I added one interceptor to the list.

Finishing up the post with some pictures of research and production. I haven’t been detailed about stating my research or focus. My tech rushing a year ahead might have been a bad choice. Light tank armor is still being researched and also most of the techs I researched in a previous post.

Here is what is currently being researched:

faar19.jpg
faar20.jpg
faar21.jpg
faar22.jpg
faar23.jpg
faar24.jpg

Production list as it currently is:

faar25.jpg
faar26.jpg
faar27.jpg

Almost forgot something. Somehow I managed to miss the Spanish civil war starting. Looks like it hasn’t been going on for long. You may notice that my officers are only at 46%. This will be fixed once I can change the law that gives a big penalty in officer training.

faar28.jpg

Looks awesome, although I do worry about the Spaniards, I'd suggest you try and capture Sardinia and Sicily early in the war if you ever get the opportunity to produce marines.