• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(36838)

Recruit
Dec 11, 2004
I've created a scenario by hand, and done basically all the debugging I know how to do. I've made sure no provinces are owned by multiple countries, checked to make sure all countries' provinces were listed as known provinces, and checked the { } to make sure they're all closed.

Yet when I load the scenario, I get the following error:

line = 3876
Illegal toplevel object
"ownedprovinces = {"
Abort - Retry - Ignore

I click ignore, and get

Scenario files had errors
Abort - Retry - Ignore

at that point no matter what I click EU crashes.

I checked the whole thing for errors, but found nothing like that apparently obvious. If anyone would be willing to look at it (and I know it's a lot to ask) it can be found at http://bluestem.freeserverhost.com/Euramerican Campaign.eug . Please ignore the HTML code inserted in there by my evil hosting service. :mad:

Thank you.

You may note that it is just a .eug file, and not the usual .eug linked to an .inc file. That is because it is based on a randomly generated scenario from Moctezuma's Scenario Generator, which I did because I don't know enough about EU to make the files from scratch.

bluestem said:
I checked the whole thing for errors, but found nothing like that apparently obvious. If anyone would be willing to look at it (and I know it's a lot to ask) it can be found at http://bluestem.freeserverhost.com/Euramerican Campaign.eug . Please ignore the HTML code inserted in there by my evil hosting service. :mad:

Do you think you could change the extension to be .txt instead - the formatting makes it completely illegible for me.. sorry.
(I can't do it myself from work and I'm busy this evening.. if you can't do it just remind me in about 38 hours time from this post and I'll check if I can just save the file to disk and change extension myself)

edit: The likely error is a } too much in the line before though.. but I can't tell for sure without looking.

I can't count lines in notepad, but I don't need to ;)

Slightly below tag = HAN your knownprovinces ends with double brackets, thus closing the country statement and thereby making the ownedprovinces = { 102 88 } into an illegal toplevel object.

Just remove one } of the }} and that part of the scenario will be fixed, then give her a spin and see if that was the only error. (It is the only double-closed knownprovinces at least, but I haven't looked for any other errors or tested it) Good luck :)

Database mismatch is often that monarchs or leaders have the same ID#, so now it is time to look at all them I guess (does the generator create them for you?)

All monarchs and leaders nust have unique IDs.

I had changed a leader file a while back for a different scenario. I neglected to put in different IDs and therefore had the same IDs for leaders from two different countries. I got the same message after fixing that, though--and I haven't edited any other leader or monarch files. I did go through all the owned provinces in the scenario, making sure none of them overlapped (and I found a few errors there). I still get the same messages though.

I would greatly appreciate it if you went through the scenario file, but I can understand if you don't want to... I know it can be very time-consuming. In any case, thank you very much for your help so far!

Any overlaps in controlled provinces then? Any province 0 in the 'knownprovinces' list?

If you put up your revised file I could try to start it and see what it says (and perhaps take a quick peek again)