Death or Dishonor - New Country Pack Announced!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially considering it's supposed to be a) an Axis focused dlc (in which half of the new countries never joined the Axis and one out of the two remaining countries might be the least loyal to the Axis) and b) a bigger dlc than Together for Victory and its five new focus trees and (not mentioning it looks like TfV brought more new mechanics...)

On top of that they are adding equipment conversion and equipment licensing to the DLC and not FLC. This means if you want shit that is supposed to be in the game you have to buy the DLC anyways.

And yeah F*** Germany apparently. Lets keep their pathetic nation focus tree.

I wonder how equipment upgrades will work. I suppose it lets you convert tanks to self-propelled AA, tank destroyers, and such?

Especially considering it's supposed to be a) an Axis focused dlc (in which half of the new countries never joined the Axis and one out of the two remaining countries might be the least loyal to the Axis) and b) a bigger dlc than Together for Victory and its five new focus trees and (not mentioning it looks like TfV brought more new mechanics...)
Yeah, if I was making an Axis DLC I think I'd pick something like Finland, Romania, Hungary, and Bulgaria, and perhaps Vichy France. Nothing wrong with a "East Europe DLC", it just isn't what I expected, and doesn't seem as focused.

No Finland and Bulgaria? :(
I'd guess we get Finland whenever they come around to doing a Comintern-focused DLC. But Bulgaria being left out is honestly surprising, given the theme. Perhaps it's due to time constraints in the schedule, but I'd would've easily chosen Bulgaria over Czechoslovakia.

I'd guess we get Finland whenever they come around to doing a Comintern-focused DLC. But Bulgaria being left out is honestly surprising, given the theme. Perhaps it's due to time constraints in the schedule, but I'd would've easily chosen Bulgaria over Czechoslovakia.
It's super odd since historically, a lot of these countries had somewhat of a choice in siding with Hitler. The Czech's didn't really have a choice....

Yeah, if I was making an Axis DLC I think I'd pick something like Finland, Romania, Hungary, and Bulgaria, and perhaps Vichy France. Nothing wrong with a "East Europe DLC", it just isn't what I expected, and doesn't seem as focused.

I don't think Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia are a bad idea, an Axis focused dlc might as well focus on victims of the Axis... But I think the Axis members should come first and I was expecting more than four countries considering we were told in a previous dd that this dlc and the following one would be big one, as opposed to TfV who turned into a smaller dlc than it was intended to. Now it looks like DoD is a much smaller dlc than TfV.

Small DLC. Seems to be smaller the TvF.

Wonder if it will count as a large one in the season pack ? If they expanded season pack from 2 =>3 it due to TvF size, they will have a hard time explaining this one.

Props on the airwarfare and ai improvments however, looking forward to it :)

I'd like DLC's to be bigger. TfV and DoD seems rather small and too focused on one theme. Why not include Spain, Finland and Greece too to finish the rest of Europe?
Probably it's the reason there is a season pass to begin with - in HoI4 all DLC's will be that small. :(

I'm hyped!

But yeah, very very weird Finland and Bulgaria aren't in this thing.

Finland is obviously on our list (and had some prep work done while we designing this DLC), but a well-researched and well-balanced focus tree takes a lot of time. We also wanted countries that were in close proximity to each other to avoid one of the main issues with TfV, where the countries were far apart and didn't really interact with each other. So if we wanted to do Finland, we would also have to do Sweden and Norway. It makes far more sense to do that in a future "Swedish War-profiteering" DLC in between two major expansions.

Bulgaria is a different story. It was in the initial outline and had some research done, but was dropped because we felt we couldn't make it particularly interesting - Bulgaria never joined the war against the Soviet Union, and did as little as they could to stay in the axis. When the Red Army arrived at their borders, they immediately switched sides. Compared to the viper pit that was Romanian internal politics in the period or Hungary's desire to see past wrongs set right, it did not feel like it was worth the effort (assume that it takes us between 3-4 dev-weeks to make a focus tree, plus another dev-week to make the art for the country).

As for China: We also strongly considered China and Spain for this country pack, but decided that these two countries required additional mechanics that would take too much time away from the air revamp and AI work to code, so they were quietly shuffled up the line. We are well aware that China is very popular, and they will get their own focus tree. Just not now.

Finland is obviously on our list (and had some prep work done while we designing this DLC), but a well-researched and well-balanced focus tree takes a lot of time. We also wanted countries that were in close proximity to each other to avoid one of the main issues with TfV, where the countries were far apart and didn't really interact with each other. So if we wanted to do Finland, we would also have to do Sweden and Norway. It makes far more sense to do that in a future "Swedish War-profiteering" DLC in between two major expansions.

Bulgaria is a different story. It was in the initial outline and had some research done, but was dropped because we felt we couldn't make it particularly interesting - Bulgaria never joined the war against the Soviet Union, and did as little as they could to stay in the axis. When the Red Army arrived at their borders, they immediately switched sides. Compared to the viper pit that was Romanian internal politics in the period or Hungary's desire to see past wrongs set right, it did not feel like it was worth the effort (assume that it takes us between 3-4 dev-weeks to make a focus tree, plus another dev-week to make the art for the country).

As for China: We also strongly considered China and Spain for this country pack, but decided that these two countries required additional mechanics that would take too much time away from the air revamp and AI work to code, so they were quietly shuffled up the line. We are well aware that China is very popular, and they will get their own focus tree. Just not now.
Makes sense, but why the Czechs? They really didn't have a chance to even side with Hitler or Stalin and siding with the USSR seems kind of far off.

Makes no difference whats in the pack unless they actually fix the AI. Otherwise it's just gonna be a couple of new focus trees that all lead up to the standard AI cluster fluff when war breaks out.

Makes sense, but why the Czechs? They really didn't have a chance to even side with Hitler or Stalin and siding with the USSR seems kind of far off.

If you promise to tell no one: It was a lot easier to find cool Czech tanks and planes to make 3d models for than it was to find Bulgarian anything.

With the licensing system, it also made sense to look at Czechoslovakia, since Czech tanks may never have been used to defend Czechoslovakia, but they certainly fought for a large number of countries on many different fronts.

Makes no difference whats in the pack unless they actually fix the AI. Otherwise it's just gonna be a couple of new focus trees that all lead up to the standard AI cluster fluff when war breaks out.
From the Dev Diary it seems that they've gotten a lot done regarding the AI.

Small DLC. Seems to be smaller the TvF.

Wonder if it will count as a large one in the season pack ? If they expanded season pack from 2 =>3 it due to TvF size, they will have a hard time explaining this one.

Props on the airwarfare and ai improvments however, looking forward to it :)

This. Very curious what will be the explanation to this

Status
Not open for further replies.