• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((@alxeu, making sure you approve of the Marshal's plan. I will play tonight, possibly, or tomorrow, definitely.))

((I finished playing tonight; will update tomorrow (that is, Monday).))

Year 11 of the Reign of Strategos Christophoros the 'Old'

15 March 779: His Grace and His Highness have decided to entrust the education of Parthena to Her Grace, as she is known for her cunning words and silver tongue. She will teach her charge many useful things, I am sure!

b0ss1gL.jpg

29 April 779: Despite his distinguished years, His Grace has fathered yet another child! He is not so 'Old', court historians, is he?!

5 June 779: Markia, another of our Strategos's grandchildren, is also being tutored by Her Grace.

S93x87d.jpg

2 July 779: His Grace sent a perfectly reasonable request to the Traitor's son, and that little monster cursed our beloved ruler! Truly, even rotten fruit falls not far from the tree. It is a pity for such hatred to be in one so young. The Strategos, the Prototrator, and our foremost Commander ride to punish the foolish brat!

sUkYPmA.jpg

8weqzpn.jpg

18 August 779: Our Court Chaplain, under the guidance of the Strategos, has called for a conference on legal traditions in Korinthos.

hdwHeNN.jpg

2 September 779: A prisoner! This so-called Mayor will surely answer for his treasonous crimes!

bEqXpzg.jpg

3 November 779: It seems Her Grace is a bit of a practical jokester! Hah hah! I am sure His Highness appreciates the humor of a mother pretending to want her own son dead!

WaMUwqo.jpg

28 November 779: Aigidia is born! God be praised!

1WE25bG.jpg

6 December 779: A new training ground is dedicated in Korinthos, to teach our soldiers not to be traitors.

DJI5EHo.jpg

((Mea culpa; there was a victorious battle that I did not get a screenshot for!))
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+10 to @DragonOfAtlantis for winning a battle on the flank
+10 to @Idhrendur for a new building being started

I would politely request my wife that she stop joking about wanting our son dead, and instead be serious.

Any plans my councillors have, enact them, and after that I will definitely ide what else needs to be done.

I shall maintain my current duties as always... and pray that all these insane nobles stop trying to murder each other.

- Laurentios, Mystikos of Achaia

Whoever is Achaia's regent is some incredible moron, Aniketos thought. But right now, he is visibly angry as he hears of his father's reaction to yet another murder attempt direct against him.

"Very funny. My dear stepmother wants to see me dead so that her child may inherit. Haha. What a good joke. Time to move on as if nothing happened. Well, none of my beloved children will stay close to the witch! ((Assign another diplomatic guardian)). And let me joke as well." The face of the Strategos' son hardens with hatred. "She will end her days in the dungeon, where I will enjoy slowly but steadily increasing her pain each day until she will beg for her death, which will be the moment when the oubliette will find another guest to stay, where her mind will entirely shatter as much as her body did before until even the Pale Rider has pity for her and releases her through the embrace of death - her remains staying behind for eternity as an example, with perhaps the occasional rat gnawing at her skeleton."
Then he smiles. "All just a joke of course. Father, do you truly want to be married to a woman who would kill your own son?!" ((We are auto-stopping plots, aren't we? Sadly this robbed us of a reason to imprison or divorce her. So if Christophoros listens, we'd either have to use a console command for tyranny-free imprisonment - which would make a lot of sense here - or let us just assume that Aniketos would suggest to his father in secret to... get rid of his wife. ;)))

Since you seem to want to make a scene in front of court, I suppose I have no choice but to defend myself.

One can't regard fractures in the ruling family openly. To suggest that our own family may be attempting to kill each other doesn't really sound good to the peasants, or, for that matter, the Emperor. I was hoping it wouldn't be made a scene, so that I may not risk the Emperor's almost certain overreaction.

So yes, it was all a fine joke, wasn't it? Though I agree, my wife should probably go take an... indefinite trip to reunite with her dynasts.

And, my son, please do not forget, everything I have done in my life I have done to ensure the realm you inherit is more powerful and centralized than the fractious one I was given so many years ago.

You, no doubt, know that I can't possibly live too many more years, do you? Please allow the years I have left to be run smoothly.

Strategos Christophoros of Achaia

((Oops, forgot to mention that I meant to divorce my wife. If we can't divorce, then other measures will be necessary.))

Sergios watched the workers expand the militia training ground. If he did not pay close attention they would laze off or do shoddy work. Soon he would have to enter the town outside the castle to ensure the fees and dues were being properly collected. There was never enough time in the day. And once this was completed there were needed upgrades in Methone, and soon enough in Patras. But not this year, there wouldn't be enough money. Maybe the year after.

(( Keep collecting taxes in Corinth, no need to bother trying to build anything. ))

Though it was vile, Alpaide could understand what Alpaide was thinking. Aniketos would have to be removed in order for her own son to inherit the Strategos' position. A mother would do anything to protect her child and ensure a better future for them.

Eupraxia would do the same for her own son. With Sebastianos' father, Count Theophanes gone, Sebastianos and Eupraxia were on their own. Soon after the count's death the emperor surprisingly named his eldest legitimate son, Pelagios, as Strategos of Krete. Eupraxia saw an opening. After all, Sebastianos was older than Pelagios by a few months. Some in the court may call her a cruel woman for what she was about to do, but Eupraxia saw no other path forward. She had to do what was best for her son...

((@Michaelangelo, @alxeu, @alscon ))

Mystikos Laurentios,

As you well know, my son, Sebastianos, is the offspring of the late Count Theophanes. The Basileus, in his wisdom, decided to name the count's eldest legitimate son, Pelagios, as Strategos of Krete. I have many contacts on the island and I have gathered that many courtiers in Krete would not be adverse to removing Pelagiosfrom the picture. Logically, it would follow that Sebastianos would be the most appropriate successor to the title of Count of Kaneia and perhaps the Basileus could be persuaded to name him as Strategos of Krete. Should the title fall to one of Theophanes' daughters then Sebastianos' claim could be pressed in a quick campaign. After all, we know how proficient our men-at-arms are. Perhaps my son can even be betrothed to one of the Strategos' daughters and he can take the Laloudios name, thereby ensuring that Krete can become a property of the family. I know how much the Strategos values your wisdom and advice so perhaps you can attempt to persuade him to adopt this scheme?

I also notice that you have been quite lonely since the passing of dear Eusebia. She was a great friend to me as the only other lady-in-waiting at court and was a wonderful woman. My son needs a father and your son needs a mother so perhaps we could arrange a marriage between us to the mutual benefit of our two families? You shall find that my long service as the strategitissa's lady-in-waiting has made me quite skilled in the art of lovemaking.

With love,

Lady Eupraxia

((So basically the Strategos of Krete can be easily killed with a few bribes. That would leave one of the daughters as count of Kaneia, which means my son's weak claim can be pressed. With a matri-marriage to one of the dynasty daughters the county will become dynasty property. Presumably the duchy of Krete would also be within reach.))

Last edited:
((Oops, forgot to mention that I meant to divorce my wife. If we can't divorce, then other measures will be necessary.))

((Do you want to be wifeless for a year, or do you have someone in mind for her?))

((As you are tagging me Andre, I believe you would also speak to Aniketos, so...
If not, then consider this happening only if our good Mystikos decides to present that scheme.))

Aniketos always keeps the bigger picture in mind. Therefore Eupraxia's request was troublesome. A future Basileus - what he still believes he would be - could not be seen as someone who preferred bastards over legitimate children, even ready to use force to achieve that goal. And what use would Krete be when he is ready to claim Constantinople or Pavia? Little. There are better allies out there.

Lady Eupraxia's love of her child is touching. Which doesn't mean that it is right to accept her request. My dear stepmother is the best example for that. All personal objections aside, we have our own problems. First, achieving control of Achaia will take some more years. Secondly, while we could spread our dynasty, there are far better alliances we could make with strategical marriages to propulse our house to greater heights. Lastly, do we really want to force the claim of a bastard? What would the other houses think of us - we cleanse Achaia of some upstarts while at the same time helping some upstart to rule. My advice can therefore only be to decline her plan.

((Laurentios, as the ever loyal Mystikos, would definitely share any such scheme with his liege, so it's fine that alscon replied. Assume both the Strategos and his son both know then.))

Mystikos Laurentios,

As you well know, my son Sebastinos is the offspring of the late Count Theophanes. The Basileus, in his wisdom, decided to name the count's eldest legitimate son, Pelagios, as Strategos of Krete. I have many contacts on the island and I have gathered that many courtiers in Krete would not be adverse to removing Pelagiosfrom the picture. Logically, it would follow that Sebastinos would be the most appropriate successor to the title of Count of Kaneia and perhaps the Basileus could be persuaded to name him as Strategos of Krete. Should the title fall to one of Theophanes' daughters then Sebastinos' claim could be pressed in a quick campaign. After all, we know how proficient our men-at-arms are. Perhaps my son can even be betrothed to one of the Strategos' daughters and he can take the Laloudios name, thereby ensuring that Krete can become a property of the family. I know how much the Strategos values your wisdom and advice so perhaps you can attempt to persuade him to adopt this scheme?

I also notice that you have been quite lonely since the passing of dear Eusebia. She was a great friend to me as the only other lady-in-waiting at court and was a wonderful woman. My son needs a father and your son needs a mother so perhaps we could arrange a marriage between us to the mutual benefit of our two families? You shall find that my long service as the strategitissa's lady-in-waiting has made me quite skilled in the art of lovemaking.

With love,

Lady Eupraxia

((So basically the Strategos of Krete can be easily killed with a few bribes. That would leave one of the daughters as count of Kaneia, which means my son's weak claim can be pressed. With a matri-marriage to one of the dynasty daughters the county will become dynasty property. Presumably the duchy of Krete would also be within reach.))

Laurentios thought it over for awhile. It was a bold scheme, to say the least. The fact it involved murder caused some concern for the Mystikos, not because he shied from such acts, but because of how callously everyone seemed to turn towards it as the preferred method these days. Yet he could not deny the benefits of such a plan. He had to weigh the pros and cons.

If done properly, it could put a future grandchild of the Strategos on the throne of Krete. Perhaps it would not give direct control of the islands to the Strategos, but it would spread the family's name, something Eupraxis was willing to do by accepting a matrilineal marriage for her son. More importantly, Laurentios understood Eupraxia's motives perfectly. Both of them were not nobles, people brought to court for their particular set of skills. They held no titles and likely never would. And they both were single parents, and now the poor woman had to look out for her child alone. What mother would not do whatever is necessary to see her child succeed in this world? She had simply seen a chance to give her son a good life and was reaching for it. He could not begrudge her that. He hoped one day he could find a place for his own son within this crazy world.

Yet there were many potential issues with this plan. As Aniketos had pointed out, pushing a bastard's claim may harm the legitimacy of the family. Not only that, it would prevent seeking a more preferential match for the Strategos's daughter. And then there was the reference to the Strategos's wife. The situation did bear some eerie similarities in how a mother would even be willing to kill for her own child. This was all dirty business, no matter how one looked at it. In the end though, it was not his decision to make. He would do what he always did: obey his liege's will. If the Strategos was willing to marry his daughter off to Eupraxia's son and force him on the throne of Krete, Laurentios would wield the blade himself if necessary. If the Strategos decided against it, he would do nothing. A commoner such as him had no other choice but to obey and live off the generosity of his liege.

((Private - @Andre Massena))

I shall speak to the Strategos on your behalf, but I cannot make any promises. He is my liege and his word is final. If he does not wish to be involved in this plan, my hands will be tied.

I will say this. I understand why you wish this. There will be those that compare you to the Strategos's wife and her desire to see Aniketos dead, but they do not truly understand. They're all nobles, men and women born into privilege. They did not have to work to get where they are. Rarely do we get opportunities to rise up in this world. My status at court is completely reliant on the Strategos's whim and my position as Mystikos. Without them, I am nothing. For you it is even more difficult, for this world deems that you must find a man willing to support you. But here you have a chance for your son to have a life you could not. It is a dream all parents can share. I truly wish that the Strategos agrees to your plan so that your son may be able to have a life we could not.

As for your offer of marriage, it is a tempting one, not because of the skills you mention, but because you are right that my son needs a mother. I am not certain I will ever be able to forget my dear Eusebia, but I must be able to move on for my son's sake. I cannot offer you a title or a life of wealth, but I can offer your son a father. If that is truly what you desire, then I accept your offer.

((Ring the wedding bells. Time to get hitched again. :p))

((Private - @alxeu & @alscon))

The plan has some merit, but there are some concerns that have already been raised. It all comes down to what you are willing to sacrifice to expand your dynasty's reach. If we act properly, we could indeed place a Laloudios on the throne of Krete. It would, however, require marrying your daughter, Strategos, to a bastard. If you are willing to do so, your future grandchild may well rule in Krete one day. This could greatly expand your family's presence in Greece. I do not deign to get involved in family politics, for it is your decision as to who your daughter should marry, my liege. This is but an opportunity your own loyal courtier presents to you. If you want Krete to belong to your family, just say the word and the current ruler of those lands will be removed from the picture to make way for your dynasty. If you prefer to focus on Achaia for now, I will resume my duties as normal.

((Can we even fight fellow vassals of the Emperor? I thought Byzantine crown authority was too high at start.

I don't think the Strategos is getting married again, either. He's advanced in years, and this last marriage will leave a bitter taste regarding marriage.))

((Can we even fight fellow vassals of the Emperor? I thought Byzantine crown authority was too high at start.

I don't think the Strategos is getting married again, either. He's advanced in years, and this last marriage will leave a bitter taste regarding marriage.))

((Can you approve the marriage between Mike and me, though?))

((Can you approve the marriage between Mike and me, though?))

((The Strategos certainly has no objections, as long as my spymaster does not leave my court.))

((Crown Authority is Medium right now so we can't but the rebels look like they have a good chance to win the crown authority revolt))

Last edited: