• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You can run with very high OE - like 500% or more. There will be rebels everywhere, but no need to panic. Most of rebels are going to separate into a small nation that can be annexed in one war. So you can largely ignore those. If you strategically build big forts in defensible terrain in the areas where large nations might rebel they will have to spend a lot of time congregating and sieging, so you will have time to bring army and smash them. However, it's better not to come to the point when you have to do it, because it's a micromanagement pain.

My guess is that you aren't using vassals efficiently and that's why your pace is slow. Right from the start most of your ADM is reserved - you need to unlock 2 idea groups and get administrative ideas, so for the first 30-40 years your expansion should be almost excusively via vassals - besides they give you larger increase in your military power than if you held the land yourself. After annexing the first batch of vassals you get full cores and you can immediately decrease LA to get it down to 35%, so you will have a solid increase in your stable base. Influence + Admin ideas give you 45% discount for diplo-annex, so it's 4.4 DIP for a full core and 2.2 for territorial one. Vassals like to make a trade companies (when qualify) from the distant land of wrong religion/culture you give them, so you can use it to reduce your diplo-annexation costs (and time). Typical vassal play in Europe (where AE tends to be high) is to acquire a "seed vassal" - like taking a single cheap province with a core of largish nation or, ideally, diplovassalizing such small nation and then reconquering their cores (and in addition often taking an extra province for a new "seed vassal"). This generates little AE, doesn't cost much DIP to conquer and give you some extra military and tax from the vassal (and then you get their army and ships when annexing). They can also fabricate claims or have claims from missions (watch their mission trees) which can provide you with more DIP-free conquest.

More advanced play is to use ally feeding. Look for some OPM with militaristic ruler. Those usually want a lot of land (red) around them. Ally them, DoW the nation whose land they want bringing them in with a promise of land. Increase relations during the war and then feed them all they would take in peace deal. They will pay DIP and suffer all AE. Then you immediately diplo-vassalize them - because the LA of conquered land will be high they won't get large economic base modifier right away. You can use the favors you've earned to raise the trust. This is easier to do as monarchy than as republic, but I assume you're switching to monarchy at some point.

You can run with very high OE - like 500% or more. There will be rebels everywhere, but no need to panic. Most of rebels are going to separate into a small nation that can be annexed in one war. So you can largely ignore those. If you strategically build big forts in defensible terrain in the areas where large nations might rebel they will have to spend a lot of time congregating and sieging, so you will have time to bring army and smash them. However, it's better not to come to the point when you have to do it, because it's a micromanagement pain.

My guess is that you aren't using vassals efficiently and that's why your pace is slow. Right from the start most of your ADM is reserved - you need to unlock 2 idea groups and get administrative ideas, so for the first 30-40 years your expansion should be almost excusively via vassals - besides they give you larger increase in your military power than if you held the land yourself. After annexing the first batch of vassals you get full cores and you can immediately decrease LA to get it down to 35%, so you will have a solid increase in your stable base. Influence + Admin ideas give you 45% discount for diplo-annex, so it's 4.4 DIP for a full core and 2.2 for territorial one. Vassals like to make a trade companies (when qualify) from the distant land of wrong religion/culture you give them, so you can use it to reduce your diplo-annexation costs (and time). Typical vassal play in Europe (where AE tends to be high) is to acquire a "seed vassal" - like taking a single cheap province with a core of largish nation or, ideally, diplovassalizing such small nation and then reconquering their cores (and in addition often taking an extra province for a new "seed vassal"). This generates little AE, doesn't cost much DIP to conquer and give you some extra military and tax from the vassal (and then you get their army and ships when annexing). They can also fabricate claims or have claims from missions (watch their mission trees) which can provide you with more DIP-free conquest.

More advanced play is to use ally feeding. Look for some OPM with militaristic ruler. Those usually want a lot of land (red) around them. Ally them, DoW the nation whose land they want bringing them in with a promise of land. Increase relations during the war and then feed them all they would take in peace deal. They will pay DIP and suffer all AE. Then you immediately diplo-vassalize them - because the LA of conquered land will be high they won't get large economic base modifier right away. You can use the favors you've earned to raise the trust. This is easier to do as monarchy than as republic, but I assume you're switching to monarchy at some point.

Wow, I never thought about letting the rebels win haha! Thats a good idea though

Great advice on the diplo game. If I understand correctly, look for clumps on land where a dead nation(or small nation that I could vassalize) has claims on that land. Conquer at least 1 province of this clump on land. Release the nation and then reconquer the clump of claims from this nation. The main advantage here is lower AE/cheaper DIP peace deals due to claims. Makes sense!

More good advice on the ally feeding. Overall it makes sense. When is this a viable strategy? Obviously I wouldn't be able to do this off the start due to economic base difference. I assume this starts becoming practical around 1600 when my economy has become large/stable?

Thanks again for the advice. Super helpful!

I don’t think it’s been mentioned yet, but don’t forget to put vassals on scutage. This way they won’t get involved in wars (costing you potential warscore and messing up mil access) and you can start annexing them as soon as physically possible.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great advice on the diplo game. If I understand correctly, look for clumps on land where a dead nation(or small nation that I could vassalize) has claims on that land. Conquer at least 1 province of this clump on land. Release the nation and then reconquer the clump of claims from this nation. The main advantage here is lower AE/cheaper DIP peace deals due to claims. Makes sense!
Yes. Cores are better because they save both AE and DIP and they also result in a more productive vassal quicker. Vassals are also capable of completing their missions which may give them some perma-claims, so it's worth watching and helping them to complete those missions (in 1.30 they've added ability to view vassal's mission trees to the interface).

More good advice on the ally feeding. Overall it makes sense. When is this a viable strategy? Obviously I wouldn't be able to do this off the start due to economic base difference. I assume this starts becoming practical around 1600 when my economy has become large/stable?
It depends on the start. With Venice you can likely do it with some OPMs in Arabia almost from the start - there are many there that have very small development. You can hover over "offer vassalization" to see what it looks like before the feeding. You can also look at some other nations that look similar to what your ally would look like after the feeding to get an idea how much you could feed while still being able to vassalize. Of course, other factors, such as dip rep, government rank and royal marriages can help. Important rule is that nations with 100+ dev will never accept vassalization. Even if all the land they have is 100%LA. Generally, you should be able to get +20 due to military power fairly quickly, but handling economic penalty takes longer. With Venice you can probably acquire decently sized vassals from 1500 on. It would be easier if not for the republican government. You don't need to do anything particular to get into this position - as you blob your economic and military power will increase naturally, so you should only be aware of this option and check if any nearby OPMs would qualify.

I'd like to comment specific to PUs. They aren't necessary, but boy do they help.

PUing Russia as Austria (I killed my ruler with no heir intentionally after passing the inherit Empire reform and turned down a 6/6/6 to stay Rurikovich) made a WC a lot easier because 1) Russia gets added to my vassal swarm and 2) Russia is an incredible pain to fight given how large they are and how long it takes to cover their land.

Likewise, PUing a coloniser saves a lot, let me repeat, A LOT of time. Firstly, you get colonies to help you fight other colonisers. Secondly, you don't have to siege down all their colonial possessions again and again. Thirdly, you don't have to truce break so their colonies don't get independent to own them. Fourthly, with all those colonial nations to back up your numbers, no one will ever declare a coalition war.

If I get my dynasty on the throne of a colonial nation, I declare immediately, even truce break if I have an alliance. It's just too worth it.

I think I'd struggle with Muslim nations and the like. Whilst I much prefer playing them for tolerance and CCR, the inability to PU colonisers and having to siege down let's say an independent Cuba (who end up with a naval forcelimit of 300+ often) is such a pain.

In regards to OE, it's also something I really struggle with. I always take humanist ideas, always hire an unrest advisor, but I still find once you get to 120%+ OE, a million rebels pop up that take years to fight. I've decided whilst you may think fully annexing someone will save time, the years you are slowed down by wasting time and manpower on rebels actually slow you done. If you have humanist ideas and a tolerance country, I think you can go to about 180-200% without serious troubles, but otherwise I'd try and keep it below 100%. Again, this is something I really am not sure how others manage. It's only worth going into 200% + in the last 10 years of the game if you're short on time and rebels won't have time to enforce demands.

PUing Russia as Austria (I killed my ruler with no heir intentionally after passing the inherit Empire reform and turned down a 6/6/6 to stay Rurikovich)
How do you manage to kill your ruler? I had a certain 5/6/5 ruler who could lead from the front, charge the walls at every siege and even conduct the drills, all without a single scratch...

How do you manage to kill your ruler? I had a certain 5/6/5 ruler who could lead from the front, charge the walls at every siege and even conduct the drills, all without a single scratch...

Drill him, send him to fight rebels, all of that (I think sending him on sieges is particularly useful).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Drill him, send him to fight rebels, all of that (I think sending him on sieges is particularly useful).
I have feeling that something has changed in 1.30. According wiki formula, the chance of the ruler/general dying would be quite high, but besides the ruler which could always be one off I am noticing generals living much longer than before

I have feeling that something has changed in 1.30. According wiki formula, the chance of the ruler/general dying would be quite high, but besides the ruler which could always be one off I am noticing generals living much longer than before

They fixed King-generals rolling death toll twice. It was considered a bug and fixed in 1.30.

• 1Like
Reactions: