• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Flood, Part 4- Away With Mongols!

Coronation Gifts

In August 1311, Sayed gave Gebhard III the traditional Norman coronation gift for the Kaisers- a war. This time, pushing more northwards, to the Baltic sea- Duchy of Pomerania. By December, the provinces were under Norman control, but the Kaiser did not feel like giving up yet.

Normans patiently waited until the Kaiser would give up. Meanwhile, some remaining vassals decided it was time for a war again. Lead by Duke Luitpold of Gotland, another civil war erupted. Holy Roman Empire as it is was almost out of Germany, positioned mainly in Scandinavia and Kaiser’s lands were... let’s just say Sayer had Dukes with more land.

sicily550.jpg

I mean, how stupid can a Duke be?

Kaiser finally gave up in May 1312, ceding the lands to Augustus Sayer.

Away with the Horde

In December 1311, Khagan Khachi of the Golden Horde died. WIthout Norman intervention. His son, Jochi, the new invisible Khagan, inherited the realm. At least Jochi was proper Catholic, but the realm was in shatters. Rebellions everywhere. And now, the Normans also came.

sicily547.jpg

The sorry state of the Horde

In December 1311, few days after the death of Khachi, Normans declared war on Golden Horde, claiming the Duchy of Greater Poland. In February, Sayer also declared war on Prince Alchi, claiming the County of Olvia, last of the Mongol provinces in the shores of the Black Sea.

Jochi gave up in May 1312. All five of Norman armies had entered the territory and it meant that no-one could oppose the Norman onslaught- not after the Mongols had lost their Horde. In July, Olvia was also Norman. It meant that Hautevilles now ruled the Black Sea as well, though some of the Hautevilles were still part of Taurica, not the Roman Empire.

In July, Normans advanced to the lands of Poland. Mongol rebels were attacked, one war for the claim on parts of Kuyavia, another for parts of Lesser Poland. Both were over by December 1312.

Meanwhile, King Walter of Bulgaria also advanced to Mongol territory, taking two provinces of Galich.

As a result, Sayer created two more vassal Kingdoms- Pomerania and Poland. King Adelard of Pomeralia was a brilliant courtier form Imperial court, while King Guntard of Poland was Sayer’s second eldest brother.

sicily548.jpg

New Kings

Things Happening Outside the Roman Empire

Despot Isaakios de Hauteville of Taurica had died a back in 1309. His son, Isaakios II, was not at all a bright man his father was. But even worse was his wife- Queen Donka Doukas. Happy pair of idiots now ruled the lands, they only had one daughter and the queen was soon outside childbearing age. Even better, they only had one daughter, who now was bethored to Prince Sayer, second son of Augustus Sayer. If Normans played their cards right, it might be possible to integrate Taurica peacefully to the Empire.

sicily549.jpg

The very special royal couple

As for other news, also in 1312, the rule of the great Aral family in Ilkhanate ended. They had become too decadent, too lazy- and now, new Khagan arises. Khagan Badai, first of the House of Badai, had taken the rebellion and finally in 1312, it had been successful. Khagan Khadagh was kicked from power and new Khagan promised to lead the Ilkhanate to glory once again.

sicily546.jpg

New Khagan. At least he really is much less decadent.

There is still power in the Norman flood. This time, not limited to HRE, anyone in the way gets it!
As for Pomerania- i mean whut? Can only create as pagan? Nonono, it is prime time to take up the editor and change something. And hello, new King! I mean, it is silly, these restrictions...

DensleyBlair - here you go, next episode. France will be almost totally mine in an episode or three :) As for white peace- sometimes, it is good!

SirkTheMonkey - oh well, poor Kaiser got a new, more productive war as a result :p As for Catharism- some have turned, not much province conversions, main line is good Catholics (for now) and i've spotted some lollards and waldesians as well. Basically, a mess.

Ricardo Rolo - Yes, love how the game makes that. Heh, even the Kaiser was Cathar once :p Let's just say that you found clairvoyance and expressed it though joke? :p But it seems like Horde is back in their proper path. As you can see, Ruriks this time. Scandinavia for the next episode.

That stupid Pomerania restriction was so annoying in my last CK2 game as Brandenburg. I ended up having to crusade through Lithuania to get myself a king-level title. Nice to see a chance to bring Taurica into the fold.

Denmark isn't doing to badly by the looks of things - do they have the Lithuania title as well?

Good to see the new Kaiser wasn't neglected of his coronation present - and it's nice to see the dukes taking things into their own hands.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

For some reason I smell manure in Despot Isaakios future ... :D ( and really, what a pair ... btw their girl is atleast minimally inteligent? Her mother has some interesting claims ... )

And next , Scandinavia ... I hope you start by Denmark ( too bad that they seem to have sorted out their civil war ). Besides the Golden Horde, they are the only decently sized catholic realm, so it would be nice to beat them down to a more palatable size.

The Orthodox families of hauteville and Doukas have certainly been keeping it in the family. It's a wonder they managed any children at all let alone a daughter who will pass the despotate into true norman hands. This is one marriage that could destroy centuries of careful breeding.

The Flood, part 5- The Norse Lands

More of the Baltic Sea, Please

It was in December 1312 when Sayer decided to expand the borders of the Roman Empire more into Baltics. Prussia, ruled by Duke Ruprecht, yet another rebellious Duke in the Holy Roman Empire, was deemed a proper target. Soon, the three provinces were swarming with the Norman troops, coming both by land and by sea. Total four armies to take all the holdings- quite an effective overkill. By the beginning of May 1313, Normans were the masters and Prussia was given to burghers, being the first merchant republic of Baltic Sea. Well, almost the first. The Ducal title cannot be claimed before the civil wars in the Holy Roman Empire end and they were obviously in no hurry.

So, Normans were sailing back from Prussia. Their journey back to Germany took them by Skane, Danish land ruled by Prince Ture Ylving, currently happily revolting against the King of Denmark. Oh well, since we’re already here, why don’t we take the province, pondered the Normans and without further ado, they declared war on Ture. Puny Danish forces were destroyed, sieges begun and in November 1313, Skane was Norman.

sicily553.jpg

First Norman invasion- Skane is swarmed

Meanwhile, King William of France declared war on Count Guiscard, claiming the county of Paris. War was over by February 1314.

Into Scandinavia

Hell, since we’re already across the Baltic, why don’t we go on? Thought the Normans and declared war on King Arne of Norway, claiming Västergotland. That took place in November 1314. Also, Prince-Archbishop Stefan of Lower Lorraine thought it would be a good time to rebel against his Kaiser, and so Sayer declared war on him too. In February, Lower Lorraine fell, giving 2 more counties to Normans. Prince-Bishop Johan of Sticht watched the sad fate of Stefan, thought that it was a good idea and also rebelled. By May, the last province of Holland was also Norman.

Also in May, Arne gave up, ceding Västergotland. Normans pushed on, for there were some rebellious Dukes left in the Sweden. In May, Normans went to war over counties of Värmland, Närke, Östergötland and Sodermaland. By September, these battles were also over.

Meanwhile, Denmark had gotten itself into civil war yet again. Normans thought to use the chance- former child-queen Maren, now Duchess of Samgotia, was the target. Also, Stolp, a single province in Pomeralia that was Danish. Finally, the Duke of Uppland who and already sneaked away from one Norman conquest, now was conquered by Duke of Lombardia and who still has holdings in Italy, was also the target. This time, Sayer targeted his second holding in Uppland.

In December 1314, these wars were also over. Sayer gained Stolp. As for others, the civil war in Denmark ended, leaving Normans empty-handed. Even worse, also in December, Duke Folkmar of Uppland yet again made peace with the Kaiser. Now, Normans were cheated out of two victories- down in Italy and up in Sweden.

sicily551.jpg

Not one, but two disappointments...

Also in 1314, Scotland made a quick war against Norway and gained the Island of Orkney. In these 2 years, Normans gained a total of 17 provinces.

sicily552.jpg

Norman conquests in Scandinavia are beginning

Here we go, finally Scandinavia. We are coming home!

SirkTheMonkey - i have better policy- screw the restrictions, i want, i get it done! Especially silly ones like can't create kingdoms...

Remitonov - high time would be in when Sayer the younger becomes of age, marries the heiress, produces the heir and then the parents and his wife die under mysterious circumstances, but overall, yes.

DensleyBlair - No Lithuania. De jure shift actually made Lithuania a 5-province kingdom, and i control most of it now (Prussia).

Ricardo Rolo - Daugher managed to avoid the Idiot title, yes :p Just have to make sure the kid gets educated by Sayer and we're set. And as you can see, started with Denmark. Or at least with rebels of Denmark.

Chief Ragusa - rather more like centuries of careful inbreeding? :p

Shame about those two wars - losing by default is never good.

Is that the duchy of Lithuania on the Jylland Peninsula? Odd about the kingdom - though that seems like possibly the easiest target for the next Norman kingdom.

Good to see you've made some headway into Scandinavia - we need the whole map purple! ;)

Looming forward to the next one.

I strongly suggest you to continue to pound in Scandinavia, since there is still land that can be arranged quickly ( I assume that rainbow map is due to yet another set of rebelions in HRE, Denmark and Norway , right ? ) ... and you have your armies in the general area, so why not ? :D

On the Taurica issue ... well, I do think you need some extra insurance on this. Isaakios is still young and it is quite possible that he gets another wife after Donka Doukas ( really a fitting name, I guess :D ) bites the dust. Depending on the sucession laws of Taurica, it might even be more problematic ( say, Elective ( ugh ) ... she is a woman after all and we know how electors love women in general unless it is called Adelise :p ), but even a male babe of Isaakios could become a issue. I think it would far safer to have a contigency plan or two for claiming Taurica for your granson-to-be or to atleast assure that he doesn't get any half-uncles ...

More, if your grandson-to-be inherits Taurica via natural means, there is a danger that Taurica remains independent ( if your grandson-to-be is not a vassal of yours at the time with a king title ( aka equal or superior to the Taurica one ) that will happen ), so the safe bet would be to kill his mother before Isaakios dies ( making him the heir, thus with a direct strong claim on it ) and then claiming if from Isaakios ( since when you war for a claim , if the claimant is your familiar he will be automatically your vassal unless the title is of equal or superior degree from yours, a thing that rarely appies to Emperors :p ).

* goes back to the darkness, meditating on the fact that he is advocating kiling a small girl to war her father to get a kingdom for her still to be born son :D *

Last edited:
Two thoughts: 1) This is getting better and better.:) 2) Don't you dare to divide up the Roman Empire like the Roman Emperors of old. It didn't go well! And it was during a time of troubles and weakening of the realm. You don't have that here...! :)

And lo, the continent of Europe continued to drown under the Roman tide, sweeping away disorder and anarchy before it as the Eagle once again brought civilised rule to the barbarians.
I'm pretty sure we've conclusively answered the question posed by the AAR's title.
How did the mess with the Golden Horde go this year?
Will Ricardo Rolo be promoted to Spymaster for his cunning plan to guarantee a Roman Taurica?

The Flood, part 6- Pushing into North

Victories in Scandinavia

The beginning of 1315 saw two wars- one against Denmark, claiming Livonia. Other against Norrland, claiming the Duchy of the same name. Norrland, when speaking of territory, is perhaps the biggest Duchy in all the world, but it’s sparsely populated and thus far in North that Normans, used to soft Mediterranean climate, even cursed Sayer for sending them to that cursed lands.

By September, Livonia was Norman. Norrland took a bit more time, but in December, all was conquered. Sayer now owned enough of Sweden to create the Kingdom of Sweden- and he put his third brother Wymund on throne. The boy was still underage, but Sayer took his schooling into his own hands.

Meanwhile, Norway had succumbed into civil war. Prince Torgil of Norway, younger brother of current King Arne, was unhappy with the fact that Arne was King as he was not. So, he collected some vassals who thought the same and started his own rebellion. Normans reacted to this chance with total five declarations of war. Plus, the county of Jamtland, that was the sixth. Since the Imperial troops needed some well-deserved rest, only one army of Sayer was tasked with taking Jamtland. All the others were fought by vassals. Armies from France, England, Scotland, Frisia and Aquitaine sailed to Norway and assaulted the holdings of the rebels. Wars started in December 1315 and by August 1316, all was Norman. Not enough to claim the Kingdom of Norway, but enough to make Normans dominant in all of Scandinavia.

sicily554.jpg

Scandinavia is beginning to look refreshingly purple...

Trouble in the South

Duchess Athanasia Basilakos, ruler of Cibyrrahaeot, was a nice elderly lady. Still, not nice enough to live humbly like a good Roman Duchess should. Instead, she started plotting to gain a claim on his neighbour. When Sayer found out, he ordered Athanasia captured and thrown to jail. Instead of complying, she rebelled. That was a mistake, but Sayer used is as an opportunity to remind the Mediterranean Dukes why Normans ruled supreme. Soon, the lands of Cibyrraheaot were swarmed by Norman soldiers from nearby Kingdoms. By December 1316, the war was over and Athanasia where she should have been in the first place- in jail. She died there soon, and was followed by her son, who got the lesson and openly proclaimed himself a Norman.

sicily556.jpg

There is a reason you don't rebel against the Normans... and this is it.
sicily555.jpg

Rebellious Duchess, properly jailed, and her son and heir.

Now, the realm was in peace again. And Sayer was quickly running out of targets. So, instead of warring, he went partying- he ordered a great feast to be held in Palermo, and rulers from all over the realm travelled to Sicily to gaze at the marvel of an island and strength to Norman hometown. It was a party to be remembered for a long time...

As for the flood, though the previous two years had gained Normans total 17 provinces, the power of the flood had run out. The flood was becoming a trickle...

Last edited:
One more episode and we're done with the flood. That doesn't mean that the conquests or wars end though, and HRE is still standing, but next one felt like a signpost. You'll see when i get there!

DensleyBlair- ah well, losing by default is ok. I'm abusing rebellious vassals too much anyways. As for Lithuania- where, whut? I only see Sjalland and Jylland, good old rebellious Dukes there. Anyways, Scandinavia is becoming more purple!

Ricardo Rolo - Scandinavian suggestion accepted! As for Taurica- so, you are suggesting i let Isaakios live, wait until princess Adriana grows up, gets pregnant, gives birth to son; then stab Adriana and go to war, claiming Taurica in the name of her son? And meanwhile keep stabbing all the uncles Adriana might have? Ooh, evil! I like it!

Nikolai - 1) Thanks! 2) No plans to do that!

SirkTheMonkey - yes, you are right- noone can stop me anymore! Golden Horde has regained his balance though. But soon, i'll strike again! As for Ricardo Rolo- with evil plan like that, the spymaster position is guaranteed! :d

Scandinavia is indeed looking suitably purple, though it could look moreso - if only there were Cathar Crusades. Then you'd be able to mop up these kingdoms easily.

That must be the first revolt I have seen in a long time - how many does Sayer suffer?

Looking forward to the next update.

I look forward to the day when the 'Holy' 'Roman' 'Empire' is just a frozen county in the far north, almost as much as the day when that county is conquered. I hope nothing has happened to the poor 'King of Ireland' yet. Are there many more Greek rulers who need to be persuaded into giving up their titles to their properly-cultured children?

Hum, next instalement is a signpost ... so I assume that a certain "Empire" will be usurped and dissolved :p

On the update proper, I assume that Denmark and co are still under truce, since they need a visit ... oh well, they will get a norman visit sooner or later , so no fret about that.

On my plan, yes it is basically that, plus assasinating any other wife of Isaakios and/or half-brothers that Adrianna might get just to avoid them getting the heir status. It is a quite useful technique if you are willing to wait 2 generations to get a kingdom under your empire ( tried and tested in my Hispanian game ... to bad that my CK II capable comp is KO at this time, otherwise I would show that was exactly how I got France there :p ) :get grandson of ruler out of your family, arrange for him to be the heir or otherwise get a strong claim ( just to have more latitude in the timing ... weak claims also work exactly as well, but you need to wait until they are appliable, and that time might not come in the best ocasion ), then war for it. You get the downside of not being able to rearrrange in the internals of the kingdom and the previous ruler normally keeps the other titles ( making him a bitter and powerful foe ), so it is important that the claimant has some powerful close family that can help him keep the title in the beginning of the reign, though ...

The Flood, Part 7 - Flood Becomes a Trickle

So, in March 1317, Sayer declared yet again war on Guiscard, former King of Leon, former Duke of Badajoz, former Count of Paris. Now, the poor lad was down to County of Chalons, plus some minor baronies in Iberia and Mauretania. The opposition was nonexistent, but to everyone’s surprise, the war wasn’t over when Chalons was taken- minor baronies needed sieges too. So, Norman mobilized in Africa and Iberia and finally managed to beat Guiscard enough to force him into submission. It took sweet time though- only in March 1318, the war was over. In one year, Normans basically gained one province...

sicily558.jpg

The conquest of Chalons had some really unexpected consequences

Plus one province from Saxony, conquered by Oswulf I of Germany, so the main rebel in the Empire, Duke Philipp, was now down to one province.

Also, in 1317, father of Sayer, Prince Simon of Malta, died. Sayer was now once again full holder of de Hauteville lands and his brother, Guntard, King of Poland, was named as his next successor.

Meanwhile. Duke Halfdan II of Estonia was rebelling against his rightful liege, King of Denmark. Unfortunately, he and his firstborn were followers of Waldensian heresy, and for some reason, Cathars can’t attack other heretics, even though they follow the wrong heresy. So, Sayer resolved the problem with stabbing. In March 1318, Gunnar, firstborn of Halfdan, died unexpectedly. Hour later, Halfdan also died of severe dagger poisoning. Halfdan III, the new Duke, was proper catholic. Then, the Normans came. By November 1318, three provinces of Estonia were Norman.

sicily559.jpg

The Old Duke of Estonia, who had a terrible accident, and a new Duke, who lost a terrible war with the Normans. Life is terrible.

With that, Norman war machine came to a halt. Not because of the Holy Roman Empire had crumbled, not because Normans had conquered everything. The reason was much more simple- there was not a single ruler left in Europe Sayer didn’t have the truce with.

The Flood ended because of formality. It lasted for 10 years and during that 10 years, Normans saw almost constant warfare and turned the map of Europe to much nicer shade of purple. During that time, Normans conquered a total of 68 provinces. The map of Europe war almost purple. With an exception of small holdings in the middle of sea of purple, sad remnants of the Holy Roman Empire and Northern countries, there was no-one else in Europe but the Normans.

sicily557.jpg

The Map of Europe after the Flood

Last edited: