• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
thank god this isnt over. it just became more fun with this inheritance(try to inherit/claim the HRE too!). there's an awfull marriage policy you need to follow(make major greeks hautville, preferably everyone), an ilkhanate to smash, timiruds to block. also, some spots need to be worked away to take full control of the mediterenean and black sea. any intention of going to norway?

also, this would make for an epic conversion to EU3 or 4. colonisers or hordes? BAH! hautvilles are whats coming at china.

Catharism, Children, Execution and Alps

Organizing the Realm

When Adelise became Basilissa, she inherited Greeks. Lots of them. The same Greeks who had destroyed the Byzantine Empire, for they thought their own personal well-being more important then the state of the realm. The result- when Byzantines needed armies to fight some wars, they were unable to do so, for they were once again engulfed in one civil war or the other.

Normans had been always ready to take advantage of these things- but now, they had to deal with the situation. Taking the Ducal titles and replacing themselves with de Hautevilles was not an option- too much resistance from the same de Hautevilles. They were afraid that taking lands an masse and redistributing them would make a dangerous precedent in the future and thus, making their titles under threat. Instead, Adelise had to use more indirect methods.

First of her weapons was Catharism. Orthodox Dukes were given a simple option to convert themselves to one true faith and most of them agreed. By the end of the year, most of the direct vassals of Adelise were Cathar. Soon, the inevitable happened- Byzantine Douxes begun to push Catharism down their vassals. Counts and Barons were also forced to convert or lose it all. Slowly, Orthodox was dieing out and when the first provinces converted, the victory of Catharism in the Byzantine Empire begun- thus also building the bridge between Normans and Greeks. Or at least making the differences smaller.

sicily457.jpg

The conversions begin

Second of Adelise’s weapons were children. Be it the underage ruler of some Duchy, or the son or even a grandson of ruling Duke. All were brought to Palermo, to be educated by Normans. Of course, it made some sense too- Palermo was after all the center of education in the Medieval Europe, where the brightest minds of the world convened. But also, the children were taken from their normal habitat and forced to live in a distant land. Of course, some of them adapted and soon we had something like Antiochos Basilakos, grandson of Duke Heirotheos I Basilaos of Cibyrreaot, a Norman Cathar kid, finishing his education in Palermo.

sicily458.jpg

Some of children under Norman guidance

Overall, Byzantine Empire was quickly becoming Cathar and slowly becoming Norman. As for becoming de Hautevilles- well, some marriages were set up with Duchies with female heirs, but that process would be even more slower.

Death in Purple

It was in December 1285, when Kaiser Bruno I died at the age of 48. Looks like his health wasn’t good enough to manage with the stress of ruling the Holy Roman Empire. By the way, a title that is more like a joke now, with the Augusta Adelise ruling the true Roman Empire. Of course, the Germans did not recognize the Normans as Romans, and instead, still referred to them as Kings of Sicily. Didn’t change the fact that the rest of the world laughed at Holy Roman Empire, for it was neither particularly holy nor had it been Roman or even Italian for quite some time.

sicily460.jpg

Poor Diether

Bruno died without managing to get a male heir, so his successor was Prince Diether of the Holy Roman Empire. The problem was that Prince Diether was captured by Normans back in 1263, when the Empires fought over Duchy of Susa. Battle of Saluzzo saw the defeat of yet another German force marching over the Alps and as a bonus, Prince Diether was captured. For over 20 years, he had been kept in the dungeons of Palermo, and now he was the new Kaiser.

That raised an interesting question: what to do. Can’t declare war on Kaiser when he’s your prisoner... so, should Adelise release the new Kaiser... or? Seeing the interesting results followed by death of Emperors of the Holy Roman Empire, Adelise decided to force Germans to elect a new Kaiser. Plus, the chance of really showing the Germans who is the boss was too good to pass.

In 27th December, 1285, the new Kaiser Diether was released from prison- straight to heaven. The execution of the Kaiser was a celebration in Palermo. He was to beheaded in the town square, in the noon. Of course, the town was packed. It is not every day or every century you see the execution of the Kaiser. Diether acted his part. Of course, he was dressed in purple, with cloth of the finest quality, with gold and jewelry. And though Diether didn’t manage to much as a Kaiser, he decided to at least die as one.

With bravery and dignity, he stood in front of his Norman executors. Not a show of cowardice or fear, showing nothing but contempt for Normans. He refused the blindfold and kneeled in front of the executor, uttering his prayers in loud voice. Adelise had shown mercy- given him a good executor and ordered his weapons to be as sharp as possible, so when the sword cut, it cut the Kaiser’s head cleanly off, giving him fast death. It was good death.

Enthauptung_Konradins.jpg

Beheading of Diether

siicly459.jpg

And yes, Adelise really did it!

Across the Alps Again

Kaiser Gebhard, the third of Bruno’s brothers was next in the throne. Living safely in Sweden, there was not much change to cut his head off- but it was good time to get some nice fresh duchies from him. And since the Norman troops were stationed in Hungarian area, the logical target was the Duchy of Austria. It was for the first time Normans marched against Germania proper, instead of their French or Iberian holdings.

War was declared in January 1286. Meanwhile, war inherited from the Basileos Ioannikos, against Hochmeister Caspar of Teutonic Order, over the county of Torki, in Golden Horde-Roman Empire border. One Norman army was all that was needed while two others marched towards Austria.

sicily461.jpg

Germans offering no resistance

The war against new Kaiser proceeded without much resistance. By July, all the provinces of Austria were under Norman control and poor Kaiser had to give up yet another Duchy, this time in Germany proper. Austria was the first Duchy in the German side of the Empire that Normans took directly from Kaiser. The fighting that had been fought elsewhere for centuries had finally came home for Germans.

King Vojtech of Bohemia was the holder of the last of Austrian counties and seeing as he currently was yet again rebelling against his Kaiser, it was good time for Normans to get the final county as well. War was declared in July 1286, and the Bohemians actually gave more resistance then the Germans. In Battle of Velehrad, the 22 000 Bohemians met 29 000 Normans in battle, and though the Bohemians lost, Normans also lost over 7000 men. It took over a year to get the Bohemians give up the last county. In the end, Normans of course were successful.

sicily462.jpg

Bohemians offering good resistance

Roman Claim on Tripoli

Meanwhile, Normans went to war once again. This time, against the Duchy of Tripoli, a one-province county of Tortosa in the Kingdom of Syria. Tripoli, currently ruled by Doux Barthalomaios I Tornikes had been independent for about a century, acting as a buffer zone between Byzantines and Normans. Now, it was time to get rid of the lad.

War started in September 1286 and when troops from Kingdom of Jerusalem crossed the border, the enemy was forced to give up soon. By December, the last independent Duchy in the Palestine was conquered by Normans, and Count Errant de Hauteville of Tripoli was given both title of Duchy of Tripoli and County of Tortosa.

sicily463.jpg

Taking Tortosa

Here we go- first steps as Augusta!

Jarren - more interesting, yes. But also, less efficient, so i'll take Holy War whenever i can. One of the joys- replace current rulers with de Hautevilles

grumphie- Not yet, not yet. Stuff to do. People to kill. Map to beautify. As for HRE, i think i'll go with conquests. More fun! And Mongols will get what is coming to them. For Norway- i have plans, yes. But they are far in my to-conquer list.
About the Eu3 /4 conversion. Well, owing Mediterranean and half of Europe and all that... that would be an overkill. So, i'd rather think i'll start a new AAR when EU4 comes out. Already have picked a country- Portugal!

From what I can work out, you're very close to having a Mare Nostrum - only looks like there are a few duchies to go.

Really nice, as ever.

I still prefer the Sicilian Green, but it's always good to see the HRE beaten no matter what colour their lost territory becomes.

Hum, why haven't you ransom poor Diether and then declare war for Austria ? The end result would had been the same ... or Diether regent was unwilling/unable to pay his ransom ? :p BTW why haven't you used the Imperial restoration CB on somewhere in Francia/Hispania ( using the empire names of CK II ) ?

Anyway, the usual coronation gift to the Kaiser is delivered, so I assume that the Norma ...err ... Bizantin .... err, Roman eyes will look elsewhere for prey. The truce with the northern Horde should be ending, BTW .... *evil grin* ;)

Lost Lambs

Douxes, oh Douxes

As the Byzantine Empire went through civil wars, foreign wars, bad rulers, plotting Douxes and all other good things that can crumble the realm, several rulers managed to claim their independence, weakening the state and leaving ugly stains on the map. On the other hand, civil wars and instability had other Douxes gaining too much power within the Empire. Prime examples of them are Douxes of Adrianopolis, Pahphalgonia, Cyprus and Kartli; the latest being former Basileus. All of them had too much land and were more powerful then some Kings of the Roman Empire. First problem was easy. Second, not so easy.

Reconquest of Nikaea

Doux Bartholomaios I was ruler of both Nikaea and Turnovo. One Duchy in the Asia Minor, other in the Kingdom of Bulgaria, completely engulfed by Norman lands. Powerful in Byzantion, not so powerful when compared to might of the Roman Empire. By the time the Empire had finished a war in Austria, Normans already had two armies in the borders of Nikaea. One a veteran army of several campaigns, other a newly recruited army, fourth army of the Adelise, with 15 000 trained, bloodthirsty and capable Normans.

In July 1287, the armies crossed the border of Nikaea, the older one heading to territory of Nikaea, other marching to Turnovo. When arriving in Nikaea, Normans met locals in the battle of Paleokastron, losing just some men and winning the battle. As usual for Byzantines, their fortresses were well-defended and sieges took their time.

sicily465.jpg

The beginning of the war- two Norman armies had invaded Nikaea

Meanwhile, rest to the two armies marched from German lands to Asia Minor. Nikaea had did their best to get some troops, but in Battle of Chalkedon, taking place in February 1288, fresh Norman troops took the army by surprise and killed most of the Greek soldiers. With that, they also killed any hope of Nikaea, forcing Doux Bart to give up Nikaea and reign only in Turnovo. New Duke of Nikaea was Berod de Hauteville.

Reconquest of Armenia Minor and Thacesia

In June 1288, Adelise declared war on Douxes of Armenia Minor and Thacesia. Both where located on Asia Minor, next to each other. Both had two provinces and Adelise thus had all their four armies stationed next to their borders. When the declarations of war came, Normans crossed the borders, crushed any resistance they met and then proceeded with sieges.

Again, we are dealing with the typical Byzantine defences. Well-built fortresses, filled with soldiers. Too scared to meet the Normans in the open field, they hid behind their fortresses, probably hoping that Normans get bored and walk away. Despite of centuries of different experience (read: Normans either assaulting or waiting until they are starved; usually the first. Never giving up and walking away), they still chose the cowards way.

Thacesia fell easier and in April 1289, all their provinces were in Norman hands. Humphrey de Hauteville became a new Duke of Thacesia. Armenia Minor was better defended, with garrison over 3000 soldiers in several holdings. Still, by July and with some terrible losses, Normans managed to get them to surrender as well.

sicily466.jpg

Normans steamrolling

Reconquest of Aegean Islands

Doux Michael II of Aegean Islands actually occupied two Duchies- Aegean Islands and Epirus. His ancestors used to be rulers of Duchy of Athens as well, but Normans had kicked them out from there already. Also, parts of Epirus were already under control of the Normans. As for Aegean Islands- rich four-province Duchy, situated mostly in the islands in the Aegean Sea. Normans declared war in July 1289.

This war actually went quite smoothly- Doux Michael did not want to meet Normans in the open battle. Instead, he hoped his islands would be too tough to land. Boy, was he wrong- when the ships of Normans arrived, the hearts of Greeks fell. Still, the war took his time- only in April 1290, Normans got the Duchy.

sicily467.jpg

Normans going on an island vacation

Reconquest of Arta

Duchy of Epirus, ruled by former Doux Michal of Aegan, was now under civil war. His only vassal of the two-province Duchy had rebelled. Normans were quick to use the situation in their favour. War was declared in September 1290 and in July 1291, the war was over.

sicily468.jpg

And in case someone wonders- here is Arta

Dealing with Adrianapolis

Doux Gregoras of Adrianopolis started his usual schemes, trying to get a claim of the Kingdom of Serbia. But he underestimated the power of Adelises spy network. Just a month after he had started the claim, Norman envoys coming from Palermo had came for him. Gregoras thought of resisting, but common sense preluded- he knew that there would be war and he would lose.

In August 1290, he was delivered to Palermo, in chains. Adelise declared a verdict- he would be stripped from title of Duke of Rashka and that title will be given to Ranulf, King of Serbia, along with the vassals. Duke will be kept in prison to prevent further scheming.

The prison conditions were not something the 62-year old was used to, plus his old health had a factor in it as well- he died after about half a year in prison. His son and heir, Isaakios I took over the Duchies. Being a devout orthodox, even a zealot, and ambitious one at that, she immediately tried to pick a fight with Adelise. In August 1291, his carriage was ambushed bby some random highwayman and poor Duke was killed in the process.

Germanos I Pleustes, new Duke of Adrianapolis and Vidin, was much better ruler. He was one of the children that was educated in Palermo, and he had turned completely. He was a good cathar and saw the light- he followed the new Norman style instead of the ways of his ancestors. That caused some bad blood in his Duchy, but no-one dared to do much about it, for they knew he had full support of Adelise.

sicily469.jpg

End of the old Doux and the new, much more agreeable new Doux

Reorganizing the Realm

The Dukes of Byzantium were an annoyance to rule. You have to look over them, you have to take their children hostage, you have to check they are proper Cathar and so on. It is a full-time task and when you’re ruling an Empire not seen since the time of the Romans, it is a chore. So, Adelise did the wise thing- delegate.

She created four Kingdoms- Syria, Armenia, Georgia and Bulgaria. All ruled by de Hautevilles.

sicily464.jpg

The politcal map of Greece. Notice that there are still several too big Duchies, and of course the new Kingdoms

Walter, King of Bulgaria, was the weakest, only ruling the newly-conquered county of Torki. Still, he had the might of Roman Empire behind him.

Oswulf of Georgia was on the other hand was the strongest. It was during Turquetil’s time when Normans pressed his fathers claim on Crete and got one province in the middle of nowhere as a bonus. He had ruled there for nearly 100 years and he was the ruler who gave coup-de-grace to the last Caliph.

King Errand of Syria came to Middle East in 1267, when Adelise granted him freshly conquered county of Tripoli. Since then, Errand had normanized and catharized the province, proving himself to be a capable ruler. When Adelise took rest of the Tripoli four years ago, there was no question on whom to give the Duchy- as there was no question on whom to give the title of the King.

King Oswulf I of Armenia was son of count of Belgrade and brother to King of Serbia. When Adelise took the Duchy of Armenia Minor, he was deemed fit to become the new Duke and with since he was the only Hauteville Duke in the Armenia region, he became the new King of Armenia.

sicily470.jpg

The new Kings of Roman Empire

Rest of the Realm

King Ranulf of England went to war, taking Oxford and Kent in his attempt to reconquer England. As did Amaruy of Egypt, but this time, with something much more grand. He went to war against Rasshid Sultanate, or Abyssinia, with goal of capturing the Duchy of Gondar. If he succeeds, the lands of Normans extend as south as it is possible.

Tadamm, almost finished unification of Byzantine Empire. Also, in case you have or have not noticed, i've updated to 1.09 in the middle of the game. Edited the Cathar concillors back in and changed demesne modifier back to 0.25. Not that i really need all the lands, but... well.. Mine! Mine! Mine! Not giving up!

DensleyBlair - at the moment, Mare Nostrum is two counties away. Corsica and whatever was that island in the Duchy of Epirus. And thanks! :)

SirkTheMonkey- Yeah, i know. The map looks too purple and i miss the Hauteville green as well. Hmm, it should be editable... As for HRE- agreed!

Ricardo Rolo - he didn't have the gold :p And i didn't much have need for the gold, plus the pure pleasure of beheading a Kaiser! :p As for why i chose Austria- well, the lands of Hispania/Francia are mostly under control of Queen Petronelle, currently imprisoned by Kaiser. If she dies, i guess i'll have another rebellion at hand, thus i just don't want to weaken them. Independent Iberia/Francia is just so much better. Btw, Bohemia just won their independence.
As for the Horde- too busy in Europe. But i'll get to fight the Horde in a totally unexpected twist of fate... in two or three episodes or so.

I remember a horrible time when we had to wait days or even weeks for a new installment. Now they're coming thick and fast. I wonder what twist brings you back into conflict with the horde. That Bulgarian King has some poor looking stats but I suppose good d'Hautevilles don't just grow on trees.

Just as well you have encouraged the family to have so many offspring. You've always got a spare d'hauteville for those important little duties, such as running a new kingdom. There's no reason for Adelise to micromanage her empire when she has so many willing hands to do it for her. Corsica and Corfu will soon be Norman, err Byzantine, mmm Roman. They'll revolt or do something interesting. And you congquered Gondar, not Adelise but Amaury of Egypt. Greece sorted; the Mare Norman nearly there and Iberia took look forward to liberating. Catharism displacing Orthodoxy in a nblink of an eye. Adelise really should despatch troops to deal with those highwaymen. One just never knows where they'll show up next. All topped off by the crown ing moment ofr Diether the new Kaiser who just lost his head over the whole deal. Being kaiser was just too much for him.

More of Europe, Please

Wars for Savoy and Corsica

The reign of Kaiser Gebhard I, successor of the beheaded Diether, was a short one. In just a few years, he succumbed to illness and his successor, Kaiser Leopold IV took the throne. It also meant good time for the Normans, for the Holy Roman Empire was breaking apart once again. First target- Duchy of Savoy, just so nicely on the other side of the Alps. In January 1291, Duke Humbert II was given a declaration of war and Norman troops crossed the borders of Savoy.

Same time, Duchess Ursula of Franconia, also ruler of the island of Corsica, took also up arms against the Kaiser. This mean that the last German foothold in the Mediterranean, the Island of Corsica, is up for grabs. Adelise declared war on Ursula in February 1291. Two Norman armies were still busy with Byzantine matters while other two marched to Savoy, so the conquest of Corsica was done with levies from Sicily, Calabria and nearby vassals.

Neither Gebhard or Ursula were able to offer any serious resistance, for Normans were outnumbering them and both of them were busy in war with Kaiser as well. Ursula folded in in July, giving away German last hope to gain foothold in Mediterranean again. Mare Nostrum, a Norman Mediterranean, was just one province away now. Gerbard folded in September, giving up his lands. Normans have yet another Duchy across the Alps and are one step closer into creating the Kingdom of Burgundy.

sicily476.jpg

Kicking Germans out of Mediterranean

Destruction of Welsh

Queen Mabille of Wales died in December 1290 at age of 78. When she came to power, her lands consisted of Wales, Scotland and Brittany in France. Then, the Normans came, took most of the Scotland, all of Brittany and so far, had left Wales untouched. His son, King Ludwig I of Wales, a German bloke, had lost even more. Besides the lands she would inherit from Mabille, she was also the successor of Duchy of Holland- that the Normans also took. He was supposed to become the most powerful King in the Isles, but his parents had lost everything and Normans were the powerful ones now.

Galloway, the last Welsh province of Scotland, was next to fall. In August 1291, Normans declared war on rebelling count Andrew of Galloway. There was no need to bring Norman main armies to Albion, instead armies of England and Scotland were used. Still, impressing 20 000 soldiers gathered in Galloway and in October, last of the Scottish provinces was Norman, becoming a fine addition to the Roman Empire

sicily475.jpg

Scotland is officially Roman-Norman

Gwynedd, the heart of the Welsh Kingdom, was next. Normans declared war on October 1291 and in April 1292, the Duchy was Norman. Meanwhile, Queen Flandina of Scotland was also busy with her war in the Islands and first, took the County of Gwent. Then, Adelise went after County of Dyfed, while Flandina took herself the last province of Wales, County of Glamorgan. By 1294, the Welsh Kingdom was destroyed by Normans.

sicily474.jpg

The new political map of England. Bedford still has English lands, but the rest of the realm is Norman

Imperial Reconquest of Alsace

Duchess Dorothea I Scarponnis was a German Duchess, rebelling against Kaiser. She was also Cathar, so the normal Norman style of Holy Wars didn’t work on her. Instead, Adelise was forced to use Roman Reconquest, for Alsace was part of Germania Superior province and since Normans were now Romans, they were fully qualified to get the provinces. War started in October 1291 and ended in April 1292.

The problem with Roman reconquest was that Dorothea was still there, only the title of Duchy of Alsace was lost and she was now Countess of Nordgau and Sundgau, only now, she was a vassal of Adelise. That was quite not the solution Adelise was looking for, so she started looking for other ways. In July 1292, Adelise, backed by most of Norman rulers, issued a demand to Dorothea, demanding the recession of Nordgau.

Dorotea refused and it was war again. Norman armies were still in the vicinity and the defences of Alsace still recovering from the previous assault of the Normans, so the resistance was meager. In September 1292, Dorothea gave up again. She still remained countess of Sundgau, but the province of Nordgau and the title of Duke of Alsace was given to Adam de Hauteville and all was happy again.

sicily473.jpg

The plot and the foolish Dorothea

Golden Horde goes Crazy

In July 1292, Golden Horde took the city of Krakow from Poland. Yes, though the Normans had defeated them, the Mongols were still strong and advanced towards the weaker European nations. Once, the jewel of the Poland, Krakow was now in ruins.

sicily472.jpg

Krakow in ruins

But then something more unexpected happened- Kagan Alchi had made a decision. A totally unexpected one and the one that the Papacy, under their lost authority, needed. Just a few days after the sack of Krakow, Alchi and his Horde converted to good old catholics. This sure makes Europe more interesting...

sicily471.jpg

Oh dear, oh dear...

More steamrolling and some Mongols. Well, at least it looks like an update! :p

SirkTheMonkey - ah well, sometimes i have more time, sometimes less. Updates coming as fast as i can and as good as i can overcome my laziness :p As for good de Hautevilles- i'm actually fast running out of them. Started a new breeding program- any males with de Hauteville name will get hitched. I need quantity!

Chief Ragusa - running out of the good ones though. :p And for Gondar, then there is Kingdom of Abyssinia. Another Kingdom and i did not have to lift the finger to achieve it!

It seems I've missed quite a few things here - good to see most of Britannia Roman. I'm not imagining that a Catholic Horde will cause you too many problems, though I'm looking forward to the possibility of more wars with them.

Really nicely done.

Last edited:
oh my gawd. as if the catholics didnt have enough second chances yet. first normans kicking the muslims out, who are then pissed off by the pope. then HRE going at the normans, only to be kicked down again and again because of their incompetence. now catholic mongols. at leats they lost their doowmstacks. i fear crusades will be fought in the crimea.

also, whats the ilkhanate up to? still going for the steppes, or did it conquer all of arabia already?

That political map of the Isles... Did you release your vassals?

Really, a catholic Golden Horde ? Atleast the first ( and previous ) time I seen one it made some sense ( in a game that I'm playing to maybe make a AAR , with a Hispanian empire that stretches up to the Caspian and where the Emperor is also the Bizantine Basileos ), since it was a game where everything west of Serbia was Catholic and the moral authority of Catholicism was 100% ( unlike everything else ) due to a very aggressive Reconquista and the usual Republic DLC shenanigans with Venice going all out in Tunisia and Algeria) ... in here it makes zero sense ( unless the game is counting the Cathar faith as catholic ( since it is a catholic heresy gamewise ) for the Horde conversion event ). Well, I don't see how that will make any difference in game, besides possible splits between followers of the old Sky god and the followers of the pope faith, leading to a increased action of the Normans in the steppes :D

Germans and French

To the Heartlands!

It was back in 1159, when Asclettin ruled over the Kingdom of Sicily, when Holy Roman Empire and the Normans clashed for the first time. The first target was simple one- county of Capua. Germans had pushed too far south, into territory what Normans considered to be their own. Normans were victorious over the conflict and pushed Germans back. In that war, Normans were the underdogs, fighting with one well-trained army against the hordes of Germans marching south from the Alps.

Since that time, Germans and Normans have been constantly fighting. Now, almost 150 years later, the tables have been turned. Normans have pushed Germans out of Italy, out of Iberia, halfway out from France. Even some provinces across the Alps were Norman. The situation had been turned- now Normans commanded huge armies that scared the yet free rulers of Europe while the Germans had hard time mustering enough troops for their defence.

So, when Norman forces gathered to borders of Bavaria, the Germans felt helpless. Bavaria, a 5-province Duchy, a crown jewel of the Kaiser’s crown. Germans busy fighting the internal wars. Not much troops to spare.

When Normans declared war in October 1292, there was nothing Germans could do to stop them. Over the winter, two armies had been busy sieging the castles of Bavaria. By the spring, they were almost done. And it was also in the spring when the most important news of the war arrived- Mongol Hordes were mobilizing. Golden Horde had joined their fellow brothers in Catholic faith to fight against the Norman heathens. But by then, it was over. Kaiser Leopold, seeing as the Normans already controlled much of his Duchy, was forced to give up. In April 1293, Normans gained the Duchy of Bavaria.

With Austria and Carinthia, it was enough to make another vassal Kingdom, this time Kingdom of Bavaria. Duke Simon of Carinthia was an old man, 53 years old. It was his grand-grandfather Raymond whose claim Emperor Bohemond pressed back in 1185, over 100 years ago. Since then, their branch of the Hauteville family had been ruling over Carinthia. First as counts of Carinthia, until in 1252 Adelise took rest of the Duchy from Kaiser and made father of Simon, Wymund, Duke of Carinthia. Now, not as a young girl anymore, Adelise granted yet another boon to the Carinthian Hautevilles- the highest one can have in the Empire. King Simon I of Bavaria de Hauteville has a nice ring to it.

sicily477.jpg

New King, his new Kingdom and the scariest moment in the war

Remnants of France

Kingdom of France, once one of the greatest kingdoms of Europe, was nothing but a remnant of their former glory. Lands down south were either captured by Normans or part of Kingdom of Leon. In North, Normans had cut of their access to the sea. King Geoffrey of France was ruling nothing but a speck of the blue in the middle of German grey and Norman purple. Still, it did not stop the French from rebelling once again- and it did not stop the French Dukes from rebelling on their own. Orleans and Berry- not that much of Dukes either.

sicily478.jpg

What is left of poor little France

Back in 1279, Geoffroy de Anjoy dethroned King Robert III de Capet, ending nearly 300 years of Capet rule. Now, with new dynasty, things will be better, right? Right? Especially since much of the rulers in what is left of France are Anjous. Of course, the answer is- Normans!

In October 1292, same time as declaration of War was delivered to Kaiser Leopold, King Geoffroy of France also got the Norman declaration of war, demanding Duchy of Maine. Duke Ambroos of Orleans, from de Anjou Dutch branch, also got one, this time, demanding the two provinces of Orleans that he held.

Two main Norman armies were used in that campaign, plus additional armies from Normandy, Brittany and Aquitaine. Enemies once again stayed out of the path of Normans, so that all winter was spent on sieging, assaulting and looting. In April, when last of the holdings of Orleans fell, the Normans marched to meet the enemy in battle. Remaining of the Orleans soldiers were beaten easily, and in addition, Duke Ambroos was captured in the battle. Typical, when the enemy was beaten enough that there was no need for it. Still, in captivity, Ambroos was forced to sign a treaty, relieving him from his holdings in Orleans. Two provinces gained and the title to be usurped when Ambroos finishes his other wars.

Meanwhile, Norman soldiers in Maine saw a bit better resistance- or better fortified and garrisoned fortresses. Still, by July 1293, both provinces of the Duchy were under Norman control.

Also in July 1293, Normans declared war on Duke Renauld de Anjou of Berry, claiming the province of Tours Renauld owned. By October, Tours had fallen and Renauld fled, leaving his province to Normans. Finally in December 1293, King Geoffroy also gave up, ceding the Duchy of Maine to Normans. Now, Kingdom of France was within the reach of the Normans. War between King Geoffroy and Kaiser Leopold needs to end and when that does, Normans will gain the Kingdom of France.

sicily479.jpg

... and the map of France after the war. Norman gains shown in red.

You know, 5 provinces from France, 5 provinces from HRE. Two wars, one fought with great power of Europe. And still, the best word i can use to describe this episode is "filler". Normans have gone way too strong. But don't worry, my dear readers! In the next episode, i promise death, bloodshed and epic battles as the Normans begin their steamroll over the corpse of Hungary! And i mean it!

SirkTheMonkey- heh, why? Conquer the heretic catholic horde! Much better!

grumphie - Yeah, after more or less losing everything, catholics gain the whole Horde by their side! Well, let's see how much longer before catharism starts to spread to mongol lands. As for Ilkhanate- sitting on their butts. Whitepeaced the Golden Horde and have not moved towards Arabian peninsula as well.

Nikolai - as SirkTheMonkey said, just a vassal view. Gives better overview then full purple these days.

Ricardo Rolo - Heh, Hispanian Empire in the Caspian shores? Must have been hell of the game! As for our Horde- yea, most likely that the game considers cathars catholic and with cathars included, Catholic is most widespread of the religions. As for difference in game- notice the small capture in the higher left corner of the Kingdom of Bavaria screenshot...