• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If I remember right from my recent game as the Kingdom of Lithuania within the HRE, descendants of the dead ruler get claims. I don't think the runners up in the elective vote get anything from that alone otherwise the HRE would be a giant mess.

(EDIT) Am I right in guessing that the kingdom embroiled in civil war is Ireland? :p

As far as I'm aware, pretenders for elective don't get claims - as Sirk says.

Aside for that, very impressive getting Frisia in one fell swoop - how many kingdoms now constitute the Empire? And congratulations on besting the Capets. I have come to loathe them so. :)

Ripping Apart Hungary

The Situation

King Lajos I, of the old Arpad family, was in a pinch. Most of the realm had decided that his grand uncle Mihaly would be much better King then he would ever be (plus, Mihaly promised them privileges, less crown authority and other good stuff). Result- the realm was in a mess.

From recent history, people should know that it would not be such a good idea to start civil war when you’re neighbours with Normans, but guess some people have to learn it the hard way. By the beginning of 1284, Norman armies had gathered to the borders of Hungary, ready to take what is possible from the mess.

sicily446.jpg

Hungary in a mess

Holy Wars for Pecs, Bacs and Pest

In January 1184, Adelise declared war on King Lajos, claiming Duchy of Pecs and Duke Zsigmond, claiming the county of Bacs. Normans continued unopposed, taking one county after another, with forces of Hungary being either decimated in civil war or busy fighting somewhere else or just doing the most smart thing- keeping away.

Bacs fell by March 1184. While the King of Hungary was unwilling to give up yet, Normans moved on to county of Pest, declaring war on Duke Levente in June 1184. By September, it was all over- both Pest and Pecs were in Norman hands.

sicily447.jpg

Normans swarming Hungary

Holy Wars for Csanad, Temes and Transylvania

Csanad, another county of Duchy of Pest, was held by Duke Konrad of Pest, while Dukedom Transylvania was held by Duke Miklos. In September 1184, both of them received declarations of war from the Normans. This time, Kaiser Bruno of the Holy Roman Empire came to help.

German armies started to pour over the border to both freshly conquered Hungary and Croatia. Normans were forced to take two armies out of the offensive to counter the German soldiers.

First battle was Csurgo, in October 1284, where combined Norman armies of 30 000 soldiers won a battle against 15 000 Germans. Next, in January 1285, the two armies met outside Koprinvica. 30 000 Normans versus 13 000 Germans was not the most fair odds, and Normans decimated the Germans. Other, smaller German armies were spotted around the region and Normans went on a grand hunt, destroying one German army after another. Result- the armies of the Kaiser were destroyed, giving his vassals yet another hope for freedom. Bohemia and France, the usual suspects, took up the arms again and Holy Roman Empire was once again in rebellion.

sicily448.jpg

The biggest battles in the war- with Holy Roman Empire

In June 1185, Duke Konrad of Pest gave up and the County of Csanad was now Norman. Adelise usurped his Ducal title, resulting in county of Temes becoming independent. Same day, Count Jeno of Temes was given a declaration of war from Normans.

Finally, in October 1285, it was over. Normans had no enemies with whom they did not already have the truce left. The campaign for Hungary took nearly 2 years, Normans fought in total of 6 wars and gained total 9 provinces from it. Not enough to totally destroy Kingdom of Hungary, but it was a good start.

sicily449.jpg

Norman part of the Hungary

A bit unexpected result though- Normans had now enough provinces to create the Kingdom of Serbia, so Count Aubrey of Belgrade was given the title. Not the best King Normans had, but also, Serbia was not the most important of the vassal Kingdoms.

sicily450.jpg

Not the usual Hauteville brilliancy- new King of Serbia

Ok, one short conquest of Hungary now :)
And it seems like becoming the Byzantine Basilissa is out of the question for now... For now... But one day..

Athalcor, SirkTheMonkey, DensleyBlair - yea, tested it. Killed of poor Ioannikos while i was very popular amongst the electors. Unfortunately, no easy claim on Byzantine. Shame, it would be epic war...

SirkTheMonkey - heheh, yes, Ireland! :p One very small island of Shetland full of civil war. :p

DensleyBlair- currently, the Kingdoms are: Jerusalem, Egypt, Nubia, Portugal, Galicia, Castille, Aquitaine, Scotland, England, Frisia, Serbia and Croatia. So, 12 and i hope i haven't missed some. As for Capets- soon, they will be beaten in real life as well!

Finally, some advertisement as well:

Last edited:
What does the empire look like now? Could we have a political map please?

Nicely done with Hungary - seems a bit foolish to declare war in each other with the Normans about. Surely people have learnt that that's not the best course of action? :)

Surely you could have found a better d'Hauteville to be crowned as King of Serbia?
Regarding your Byzantine succession plans, did you consider quickly assassinating the new Basileus before the electors had a chance to make new choices? I've found that an extremely sudden death after one elective succession can produce interesting results.

Semi-Interlude: From Mercenaries to Ceasars.

Palermo, November 1285

Adelise de Hauteville was 58 years old. Though feeling healthy, she felt the time press upon her. It was in December 1245 when she begun her rule, just a girl aged 18. Now, next month, she would celebrate her 40 years of rule as an old crone. But.. she had accomplished much. She had survived two husbands and was now at her third. Her three sons were all set, one as King of Croatia, second as the King of England and third, Simon, as the new heir of the Empire. One of her daughters was also Duchess of Crimea, aiding her husband in pacifying the distant land she had taken from none others then Mongols.

Adelise was standing on top on the biggest tower in the royal palace, gazing down to the city of Palermo. Quite a sight at normal days, but now... The port was teeming. Despite the beginning winter storms, every last place at harbour was taken. Plus, several ships near the sea, dropping their passengers off by boats, then sailing on to other nearby harbours. Even from up there, Adelise could see the city streets to be totally filled with people. The population of Palermo had grown tenfold since the announcement was made, and tomorrow, it would finally happen.

Adelise leaned on railing, thinking back on events just one month ago...

Murdering to Purple

Basileus Ioannikos the Accursed was of the “new breed”. First Sarmin was Count Iakobos of Pahpalgonia, arrived in annals of history in 1140-ies, first as a courtier and advisor of Duke Iostinios of Aleppo, then as his vassal and count. Now, less his grand-grandson was the Basileus of Byzantine- but a bad one. County was constantly involved in civil war, they lost lands to both Normans and Mongols.

Still, Adelise liked Ioannikos. Despite the fact that they were enemies, she liked the man. So, she didn’t like what she decided to do. Murderers in the night- not really Norman tradition.

Adelise chuckled. Still, quite the Byzantine tradition. The plot was discovered, murderers apprehended, but Ioannikos was dead in October 1285. Everyone knew Adelise was the one who hired them, but let’s face it, no-one cared. Son of Ioannikos, Ignatios of Sarmin, was the next Basileus. For a day. Then, new gang of hired killers managed to infiltrate his bedchambers and stabbed him to death.

sicily451.jpg

Assassinations- something Normans hadn't used since the times of King Asclettin...

Everyone knew it was Adelise who had sent the killers, but no-one dared to say anything about it. Instead, the Greek rulers, scared into submission by promise to declare all-out war on the Empire, were forced to make the decision that was thought to be impossible. Next ruler of the Byzantine Empire was Basilissa Adelise, Empress of the Hauteville Empire. Without war, Adelise had gained more lands then she could dream of- all what was left of Byzantion. And that was plenty.

sicily452.jpg

Defeating the Mongols? Bah! Conquering Albion? Bah! Beating the Holy Roman Empire? Bah! This is what Adelise will be remembered for...

Adelise sighed- she knew she also gained a multitude of Greek vassals, Orthodox, powerful, used to scheming. That was definitely a deviation of the current system, where everyone important was de Hauteville. But still, there was nothing to do- the prize was too great.

Adelise acknowledged her election as Basilissa of the Byzantine Empire. The title of Hauteville Empire was abandoned and as she donned on the Imperial Purple, she became something much more then just self-created Empress. As for Byzanties, when Norman Empire took over, the glory of Byzantium was restored. Even better, the borders of the Norman Byzantines exceeded these of the Byzantine Empire at the height of their power.

sicily453.jpg

Something few Byzantines even dared to dream of- land of Hibernia

Then, there was just one more thing to do...

Evicting the Pope

Also in the final days of October, the Norman war machine turned on once again. It was time to evict the Pope Evaristus II from Trapani. Personal troops of Adelise gathered and marched to Trapani, plus the soldiers from nearby vassals. In 16th November, nearly 47 000 Normans stormed the castle, with 2300 Papal soldiers defending it. It was more a show of force, giving idea to their enemies what numbers Normans can muster.

sicily454.jpg

Normans finally evicting the Pope from Sicily

Imperium Romanum

With the fall of Trapani, there was nothing left of the key territories of the old Roman Empire that were not Norman. After the Pope was evicted, Basilissa Augusta did what had been in the dreams of many, but what no-one could hope to achive.

sicily455.jpg

Creation of Norman Roman Empire

Adelise stepped away from ledge and went downstairs. There was an official banquet today, but she planned to retire early, for tomorrow would be the most exhaustive day of her life. Tonight, she would go to sleep as the Empress of the Hauteville Empire and Basilissa of the Byzantine Empire. Tomorrow, she would go to sleep as Augusta of the Roman Empire, most powerful ruler in both Europe and world.

In the 16th November 1284, Adelise was crowned as the Augusta. Month later, the ceremony was held in Rome. Another month later, in Byzantium.

sicily456.jpg

Augusta Adelise- has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

Hautevilles had reaced the new height, and the highest one could achieve ever. From mercenaries to Ceasars...

Theodora-in-a-mosaic-in-S-006.jpg

Augusta Adelise of the Roman Empire

First, thank you, SirkTheMonkey! You are a genius! With just two stabs, Normans have conquered more then tens of wars! Thanks a lot!

And you know, this is my 100th addition of the Hauteville saga. I couldn't find more appropriate story to it! Thank you all for following and commenting and hope you enjoyed the Norman adventures!

DensleyBlair - fools never learn! As for political map, here you go!

ck2_map_32.jpg

Bet you weren't expecting this colour! :p

SirkTheMonkey- as for Serbia. Well, i'm running really fast out of good de Hautevilles. But for King of Serbia- he was the son of original count of Belgrade and i thought that what the hell, let him be. And you were right, the results were interesting.

What happened to the 'Hauteville Empire' title? And are you going to end the schism :D? (probably in your own, bloody way ;) )

What annoys me is that the CoA shift means that you don't get the nice SPQR one (if my memory serves me correctly, there is one.)

Congratulations all the same - on Rome and reaching 100 updates. That's quite a feat!

What annoys me is that the CoA shift means that you don't get the nice SPQR one (if my memory serves me correctly, there is one.

Heh, I did not think of that (probably because I do not have LoR).

Also OOC: Are the retinues as imba as I think or does the game remain at least a bit plausible?

The retinues alone are enough to bitch-slap all of the kings in the realm, if I recall correctly. That's not counting the personal levies or cash for mercenaries.

Rome. Restored. :D All hail the Augusta! Glorious!:D this ride has been so fun. :)

Nooooooo! What have I done. The glorious Sicilian green has been replaced by Imperial Purple.
Then again seizing the Greek Empire and proclaiming Rome Reborn is probably the biggest, best event that could happen for the 100th installment. Congrats on making it so far.

Congratulations on reaching 100 editions and restoring the Roman Empire. Going Cathar ad this latest milestone are ones I wasn't expecting you to reach let alone go for. Who would have thought beating the Hun was the key to that unlocked Rome Reborn - I'm intentionally glossing over the part played by assassins -but I'm sure Asclettin would have approved.

The map makes it look like the Holy Roman Empire is a match for yours. Appearances can be deceptive. As for Roman Empires, there can be only one.

what. is this the end of the AAR?

thats a shame. the HRE isnt even kicked out of iberia. and the ilkhanate is still going strong.
ayway, i'd be very intrested in some lists of data: vassel levies(probaly above the million), amoutn of vassels, realm manpower, retinue limit. all the juicy stuff. also, how large is the familiy? 1000 alive?

So, i don't look at this thread for a weekend and you manage to get another Imperial crown :D Even better, the Roman one :p

I know you said you wanted to end the game with the current ruler, but it would be really a shame to do that without atleast pushing the Germans back to the other side of the Rhine, as a good Roman Emperor would do ...

Athalcor - Hauteville Empire went down the annals of history (or the drain, whatever you prefer). Destroyed. No point in having two Empire titles. As for schism... well, i really don't want to become orthodox or mod things too much, so instead, i'll just conquer all the lands and force them to become cathar. Mwhahahahaaaa!
As for retinues... Well, at the moment i have 3 armies with ~ 50 000 soldiers. Usual war goes the way- march them to the border, then invade and before enemy can say whoops, he is overwhelmed. Basically, at this level, retinues are a perfect totally imba steamrolling tool. And i can have ~ 100 000 of them. Basically, Norman Horde!

DensleyBlair - yea, annoys me too. Luckily though, didn't get the Frisia CoA! :p

cyrileom- more then to bitch-slap all the other rulers but the Mongols, rather.

Nikolai- well, i'm glad i can still surprise people! ;)

SirkTheMonkey - no worries, purple looks good too. And after all, it's the Roman Empire! Kaisers of the Holy Roman Empire must feel pretty silly at the moment! The timing for it was just perfect though!

Remitonov - thanks! And no plans to mend the schism. Indeed, catharism is the new religion.

Chief Ragusa - good AAR should have a few surprises, or that conquer and conquer and rinse and repeat gets dull after a while. Plus, both Catharism and Rome allow me to conquer, rinse and repeat! As for HRE, they will go down!

grumphie - not yet. I still have some work to do, borders to restore, greeks to pacify

Ricardo Rolo - Nononono, let's be honest! Two Imperial crowns! First Byzantium and then Roman! :D And yes, not quitting yet. Germans to beat, Greeks to pacify and Mongols to push back!