• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Olaus Petrus

Field Marshal
91 Badges
Nov 20, 2004
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
I have been following many excellent AARs for a long time and decided that I should write my own. So I decided that I write story of a crusade to the Holy Land.

I haven't started playing yet, but I will pick dynasty of one leading figures of the first crusade. Main leaders were Raymond IV of Toulouse, Bohemond of Tarranto, Godfrey of Bouillon, Robert of Flanders, Robert of Normandy and Stephen of Blois. So there's plenty of choice. Suggestions which family to play are appreciated.

EDIT:

De Gesta Francorum et aliorum Hierosolimitanorum
-House of Boulogne AAR

INDEX:

Prologue

Liber I: Three Brothers 1036-1079 (Part I & II )

Liber II: To Jerusalem 1079-1089 (Part I & II )

Liber III: The Kingdom of Heaven 1090-1099 (Part I & II )

World in 1100: Excerpts from Isidorus Hispalensis': "Etymologiae", with additions by Anonymous author. Early 12th century manuscript from the library of Cluny Abbey. (Part I, II, III & IV)

Liber IV:
The Fallen Star 1100-1101

Liber V: Serpent 1102-1109 (Part I , II & III )

Last edited:
Prologue:

Incipit De Gesta Francorum et aliorum Hierosolimitanorum*

Five thousand and fifty seven years** after our Lord created Adam in the Garden of Eden, Caesar conquered the Gaul. Romans besieged Mandubii fortress of Alesia and defeated the army of Gauls which was twice as big as the Roman army. Duke of Gauls Vercingetorix of was captured and taken as captive to Rome.

Sack of Jerusalem

During the first year Vespasianus' reign (70 AD) army of Titus destroyed the holy city of Jerusalem, because the Jews had risen to revolt against the Rome. This happened like prophet Daniel had predicted and it was a punishment to the Jews for the murder of our Lord.

Death of Saint Denis

Two hundred and fifty years after the incarnation of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ pagans murdered blessed Dennis bishop of Paris. Wicked pagans who hated all that was good wanted to stop Dennis from preaching the holy gospels. They took him to a high hill near the city and beheaded him, but Lord didn't allow this foul deed to stop preaching of the true faith. After his murder Sain Dennis picked up his head and walked back to city praising the Lord all the way.

In the year of our Lord four hundred and fifty one God sent invading army of the pagans to destroy Gaul, because of the wickedness and sins of the people. This army was lead by Attila who is called the Scourge of God. He was merciless man who harassed Christians and destroyed nations. Finally when it looked like that Christianity is at the perill, Flavius Aëtius and Theoderik, king of the Visigoths, defeated army of the barbarians on the Catalaunian Fields. Salic and Ripuarian Franks showed their bravery on this battle and without their fearsome fighting pagans would have rooted Christianity which was recently planted to Gaul and still needed much protection and nurturing.

Baptism of Clovis

In his great wisdom Clovis king of the Franks saw the wickedness of his pagan ways and abandoned the false gods. At the fourth hundredth and ninetieth sixth eve of the birthday of Christ Remigius bishop of Reims babtized Clovis at the Cathedral of Reims. Whole nation of the Franks became most loyal servants of our Lord and defenders of the Christianity against the Pagans.

In the year six hundred and thirty eight pagans conquered the holy city of Jerusalem and started harassing pilgrims who went to the holy places.

Battle of Poitiers

In the year seven hundred and thirty two Charles Martel maior domus of the Franks defended Francia against the huge force of pagans. These pagans had destroyed Visigothic kingdom and conquered Hispania, where Christians now suffer under the heathen yoke. Satan wished also to destroy Franks who were his greatest enemies, so he sent greater army of heathens than the world had ever seen before against them. This army destroyed everything before it, but putting his faith to our Lord Charles Martel marched against the heathens and faced them near Tours. God granted him great victory and heathens were defeated and huge number of their men were killed. After that pagans feared Charles and good Christians called him the Hammer.***

Coronation of Charlemagne

In the eight hundred Christmas pope Leo III crowned Charles king of the Franks to emperor of the Romans. Emperor in the Constantinople had died two years earlier and there was a common street whore sitting on a imperial throne. Seeing this disgrace and mockery God decided to give empire to Charles who was great enemy of the pagans and who defended Christianity in Iberia and Germania.

In the year of our Lord nine hundred and eleven Emperor Charles made a treaty with the pagan Normans, who had harassed all Christendom for a long time. These Normans were a wicked race, who murdered priests and monks and looted churches and holy places. Among them was a one good and honest man called Rollo, who unlike his heathen brethren wasn't a venomous snake. This man had been exciled from his homeland by an evil king. This Rollo accepted the christian faith and promised to defend Francia against his pagan countrymen.

* The deeds of the Franks and other (pilgrims) to Jerusalem begins
**World was created on 1st of September 5509 BC. Battle of Alesia happened in September 52 BC
*** Mayor of the Palace
**** Martel means the Hammer

Last edited:
It might be interesting to play Curthose. It was the only successful moment of his life- but you'd have to find a way to where he doesn't still inherit England, which in CK he virtually always does. Alternately, Bohemond is always fun and was very independent.

That is pretty funky name of an AAR, there.

Crusade AARs are always appreciated and from a history student like you, I know it will be of great quality. Count me as follower.

Well fabulous!

Yet another AAR to subscribe to!

:p

I vote for Godfrey of Bouillon, Defender of the Holy Sepulcher! Raymond would be nice too, as in my aar, he died in Spain instead of the Holy Land. :(

Cant wait too see what happens! :cool:

ET

I might as well get back into reading AARs with this effort. Although translation of the title would be nice ;)

As for which family to play, well let's look at the lands they rule. The two Roberts and Bohemund control some of the most powerful duchies in the game (Flanders, Normandy and Apulia respectively) so there's little challenge there. On the other hand Blois which might be a bit too difficult. I'd say go for a mid size duchy - either Champagne or Toulouse. I played a game with the latter in an earlier version of the game and it was pretty fun IIRC.

ComradeOm said:
Although translation of the title would be nice ;)
The deeds of the Franks and the other pilgrims to Jerusalem
Count me as subscribed. i'd favour Raymond IV of Toulouse - sneaky and yet principled: thinking of the oath to Alexios. (IIRC) But that is just me.

All right. Got the prologue finished.

Then some feedback:

JimboIX: Yeah, that's the biggest problem with Curthose. I have no wish to inherit any European kingdoms. In fact I wish to get rid of my territories in Europe once I'm in power in the Holy Land. I have been thinking that I give my lands to brother of mine and then provoke him revolting, because it's funnier than just editing the save.

EvilSanta: Thanks. I stole name from a real crusader chronicle which was written around 1100.

CrackdToothGrin: Welcome.

Elias Tarfarius, ComradeOm, Tskb18: Thanks for suggestions.

I'll be celebrating Walburgis on Monday, so I'll start playing on Wednesday and update will follow shortly after that.

This looks interesting. I'll be watching...

Ah, excellent start, the more Gesta's, the better :cool:
Although I admit I won't be able to read/comment alot, I will be dropping in every now and then to catch up.
Good luck with your AAR :)

@OPP: Good stuff. Always lovin' the Latin! :subby:

It's also good to see a CK AAR about, um, crusading. ;)
I think the last real one might've been Grat's.

If you would introduce Catharism (use Judaism or struggle to remain a heretic), I'd go with Raymond IV. Plus some Jewish writers connect the counts of Toulouse with an offshoot of the Babylonian exilarchs, the direct male heirs of David and "kings" of the Jews under the Diaspora. Otoh, if Catharism wouldn't be enough work by itself, you'd prolly also have to keep your eye on France to protect Occitan states from those damn' Parisians.

It'd be the same deal with the Flemish if you go that way, although a new and improved IV Crusade would be amusing (if simultaneously just as evil as the original one :mad: )...

So, short of those two, I say Godfroi de Bouillon.

• He was actually the one who got the Kingdom of Jerusalem
  • He refused to be crowned king out of respect for JC
  • He was the Chuck Norris of his age
  • He wrestled a bear and won
  • He beheaded a camel with one blow of his sword
  • He was killed while hunting but refused to die until the plague got him

You don't have to give the lands away to a brother and provoke a revolt. Just create a separate duchy outside your direct lineage (2nd or 3rd sons will do). Will you be editing the saves to provide for in-law kings de iure uxoris if your direct line falters? I would so love that. :)

Isn't Walpurgisnacht in October?
j.

Last edited:
GeneralHannibal: Welcome!

Victor1234: Thanks. Your Gesta is excellent and has inspired me a lot. I'll try to write a chronicle style. Introduction chapter was inspired by medieval chronicles which tell about whole history of the world before they start talking about the actual topic. In this work I have chosen view that Franks are the chosen people of the God and defenders of the Christianity. So that their conversion and battle against the heathens form a wider story which culminates to the liberation of the Holy Land and founding of the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

Llywelyn said:
Isn't Walpurgisnacht in October?
j.

No it's today. It's our equivalent of Beltane.

Last edited:
bowl of soup said:
Subscribed..

I like to see where you take this. Are you trying to follow history?

My goal is to conquer Jerusalem first and then try to expand the kingdom in the Middle East. I will try to do bit better than Jerusalem did historically, but world conquest isn't my goal. I'll cut my ties to Western Europe after crusade and have no wish to expand there. Also I will try to convert as much as possible, so that Holy Land becomes Christian. Conquering and converting Mecca could be one additional goal in this AAR. Also if I have chance I'll try to keep Byzantines alive.

Conquering and converting Mecca is a lot easier than doing the same to say, Damascus or Palmyra.

But count me subscribed. This is excellent.

Really enjoyed the prologue, especially your use of Latin. Dead languages make everything more exciting. Looking forward to updates.

No, they'd call them Godless Philistines, Children of Hagar! And their king would be a second Julian the Apostate.

Mediaeval chronicles are not very precise with their labels and meanings, I'm afraid.

A very excellent start to the AAR. I am looking forward to how it progresses immensely.