DD #99: Vitruvius and How We Work

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It isn't really about wonders in the sense of the seven wonders of the ancient world, but more great and impressive architectural and engineering works.

The thing The Rock is hiding in the first picture is for example (the baths of) Bath, while the second image could be showing the Heroon of Aeneas. Other 'great works' of the period are, for example, the military and civilian Cothon of Carthage, the Royal Mausoleum of Mauritania and Medghacen, the Colossos of Rhodes and Pharos (obviously), the expansion of Dodona, Herod's Temple and parts of Palmyra.

Things like the Colosseum, Pont du Gard and Al-Khazneh are a bit later, but I see no reason why they couldn't be moved up into the games time frame.
Kinda my point, this is an odd time period to do this for. Baths: after; Lavinium, before; Cothon, before; Masusoleum of Mauritania, after; Second Temple, before; Dodona, before but as you say you can do some Pyrrhus stuff...

There are the two Great Wonders we already have, but this time period in particular is pretty barren compared to just either side of it.

I forgot that Imperator ends in 27bc, and not 4bc. Oops ;)

Anyhow. I don't think you are literally going to build those exact structures, but rather that you can create your own wonders. They can just be based on some of the great buildings from the (rough) period.

Oh, and the Cothon was (most likely) build around the time of the Second Punic War. It is part of the time period.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I really hope that trade systems would be improved, so you don't have to constantly re-arrange vanishing trade routes.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It is the accusative of place to which, which usually comes with the prepostion "ad". Ite is the imperative of Ire and domum is domus in the accusative singular. So "Ite domum" is a correct translation for "go home".

In classical Latin, it only come with the proposition ad when the destination is approximative:
Romani domum ite = "Romans, go home!"
Romani ad domum ite = "Romans, go next to [your] home!"

The usual preposition for the destination is in (albeit not with domum, rus, cities and small isles...)
Romani in Italiam eunt = "Romans go to Italy."
Romani Romam eunt = "Romans go to Rome."

It is correct, however, that the preposition ad is sometime confused with in in mediaeval Latin:
Romani ad domum redeunt = "Romans go back next to [their] home." (classical Latin) and "Romans go back in [their] home." (mediaeval Latin)

Wouldn't it be "domi"?
I think it's a Monty Python reference, but now I want to know. Do you use the locative, if applicable, to describe a destination? That rings a bell, but my memories are blurry.
The locative case is only used, in Latin, in the place were something or someone is.
Romani domi erunt = "Romans will be in [their] home." (locative case, for the position)
Romani domum eunt = "Romans go to [their] home." (accusative case, for the destination)
Romani domo uenerunt = "Romans came from [their] home." (original ablative case, for the provenance)

Last edited:
Reactions:
As in all PDX games, I always prefer rework of existing mechanics instead of adding new features. For example, let's make alliances less silly so I can't use my allies as lap dogs to fight all my wars and them getting nothing from it. Just an example.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As a matter of fact, what we have in store for you is so far unprecedented in any of our other GSGs, and we think it will be a perfect addition to the I:R setting.
I KNEW IT!

Not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but if I did, I would have known that it was only a matter of time before Wiz's Geopol Dating Sim and I:R came together to finally realise the potential of a new genre that is set to define all of gaming for millennia to come!

This is my headcanon now so if it turns out to be anything else, no matter how good, I will be utterly disappointed.

• 4Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
IEoacFn_D-OiO1aSQDC-JsWRaHn-Od2aP4qLyrLwkj6iXC1IYHPYbEooOBDZPzm5TPU3YXi9_ePOk76GJX6Uk4cBu4fVMHNJdbbVg2MZTH7eKC7nIl-6W0se1e1cbKQLs8PZgTiH

We’re currently working hard on carving out the final building blocks of this monumental update

I see. o_O

• 3Haha
Reactions:
It wasn't a good idea not to give any information about what is to come, people's imagination goes crazy and then they do not get what they were expecting, resulting in more frustration with the game.

However I believe that the content must be very good for you to afford to tease (not really) us.
Will I get frustrated? Time will tell.

• 1Like
Reactions:
My first thought when hearing "something brand new that noone of our other GSG's havedone and that would fit prefectly with I:R's setting" was the ability to play as amercenary captain who doesn't own any provinces, but I guess the city builder idea that others have suggested is more probable.

Reactions:
The great works - wonders idea mixes well with the new notification we have seen on the screenshot however CK 2 is a GSG and it has great works - wonders that you can see on the map, so I don't know...

I want to know what form people think a city builder would be in, because I am struggling to see how that theory would work.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I want to know what form people think a city builder would be in, because I am struggling to see how that theory would work.

I think it's just daydreaming and joking (at least on my behalf). An in-game city builder, though cool, would suck up CPU resources like crazy.

My guess is that we will have some "Great Works" add-on, which I highly welcome.

This is so cryptic that it might make people end up disappointed from letting their imagination get ahead of them before anything is actually announced.

As for my own imagination, I think these pictures and their descriptions are ripe with hints toward some kind of monuments /wonder system. Likely with some kind of connections to wider notions of nation-building and characters/families.

edit: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...f-it-in-imperator-rome.1334789/#post-26274620

searched for wonders and monuments and found this post of mine from February. felt cute, might delete later.
This is my worry. The problem with these sorts of really cryptic messages - esp the detail about being unique among all the GSG's Paradox has made, is some folks are obviously going to expect the world.

So, something about the building syste...good, the system is terrible as of now and I think no one bothers with it. Can you remove the increasing costs, too? Playing tall does not make any sense anyway.

NOW the most important thing...are we still getting the autumn of war update???