• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like there will be no peace between Mongol and Russian.

Quite the opposite: This is me abandoning western Siberia and vR moving in. Of course, overarching strategic decisions taken in New Byzantium are not necessarily so easy to enforce on the ground half a continent away.

In this session:
Russia took some of Bavaria
Mongols attacked Tibet.
Mongols and Punjab took 3 provinces each.
Persia and Malaya attacked Africans.
Persia was winning as it had all of Egypt and most of Arabia.
Russia threatened Persia with war so it WPed.
Ethiopia's navy fared well against Malaya's doom fleet of 800.
Have I missed anything?

In this session:
Russia took some of Bavaria
Mongols attacked Tibet.
Mongols and Punjab took 3 provinces each.
Persia and Malaya attacked Africans.
Persia was winning as it had all of Egypt and most of Arabia.
Russia threatened Persia with war so it WPed.
Ethiopia's navy fared well against Malaya's doom fleet of 800.
Have I missed anything?

Malaya and Persia?? Thats an interesting combo that makes a little sense.

So there was a large war today, in which the Mongol Khanate, Punjab, Persia, Bavaria, and Malaya attacked Tibet, Kongo, Ethiopia and Tripoli. Fighting went largely against us on land although there were a number of bright spots on sea (which was basically a one-on-one Ethiopia vs Malaya). Unfortunately, the naval victories did not compensate for the land losses.

Ethiopia evacuated Arabia as soon as the Malayan fleet entered the war (not wanting to be cut off across the straits), and did its major fighting vs Malaya, land and naval. Mostly naval. Here are the major battles (plus a couple land ones in Africa vs a Malayan landing):

Gulf of Suez, Ethiopia loses 44 ships.
Gulf of Suez II, Malaya loses 89 ships
Bab el Mendeb, Malaya loses 101 ships
Bab el Mendeb II, Malaya loses 124 ships
Red Sea, Malaya loses 115 ships
Red Sea II, Ethiopia loses 48 ships
Massawa, Malaya lands troops to force low-morale ships out of harbor, which are quickly defeated (7k casualties each side).
Red Sea III, Malaya loses 3 ships and Ethiopia loses 69
Bab el Mandeb III, Ethiopia loses 13 ships
Taka, retreating Malayan army wiped (-11k)

Several of the major naval battles were part of what was really a big running battle, in which one person would lose a fleet, then send a new fleet in to attack the depleted victorious fleet... etc, since stacking penalties prevent massing huge navies all together for a single decisive battle. I stackwiped four Malayan fleets, and suffered no such myself, but a number of my stacks were very depleted by the end of the war (one navy that started at 90 ships had 30-some left, and another that started at around 25 had 6 remaining).

In sum, therefore, major naval battles cost Ethiopia 174 warships and Malaya 432. Unfortunately, at the end of the war he still had more ships, and due to Persia and Bavaria my WE was very high. :( Currently Ethiopia fields 417 warships and Malaya 604.

As a side note, damn all interface bugs. Did they appear in the new patch, or did I just not notice them before? The inability to click-select the right navies on the map unless zoomed in so far as to lose all situational awareness was extremely annoying and is what cost me the 69 ships in that last battle, when I sent the wrong stack in to fight :(

Persia and Malaya attacked Africans...
Have I missed anything?

Well, you missed most of the alliance attacking us. In addition to Persia and Malaya there were Bavaria, Punjab, and the Mongol Khanate). But fear not for Africa: we had Tibet on our side! (and more fearsomely, Russian guarantees).

Last edited:
Question: Which nation was DoWd to start off the war?

Tibet, presumably because they had a better CB against Tibet than us? It was fairly clear from the prewar setup though (Persian and Bavarian armies prepositioned in the Middle East, Malayan fleets already docked in Persian harbors) that Africa was the major target.

Tibet was dowed Well done Ethiopia a well fought defensive naval war. God offensive naval fighting just sux well im happy that the 400 ships was mostly caravels and galleons and not the new elite navy of pure War galleons that Malaya now has... and damn the aar for giving navy tradition totaly unfair for us who dont write em :d

Tibet was dowed Well done Ethiopia a well fought defensive naval war. God offensive naval fighting just sux well im happy that the 400 ships was mostly caravels and galleons and not the new elite navy of pure War galleons that Malaya now has... and damn the aar for giving navy tradition totaly unfair for us who dont write em :d

Thank you, and damn Thalassocracy for giving you a navy half the price of anyone else :p But yes, it was a fun war. More fun than some I've won, I think, if only because its always interesting (and educational) to try to hold things together.

Last edited:
I see I did not take as many screenies as I thought I had, but here are a few images of the fighting in Tibet.

An early battle in the mountainous province of Amdo. This is my attempt to destroy the Tibetan army once and for all and march south unopposed. Unfortunately the Tibetans have chosen their defensive ground well.

Amdo.png

Their counterattack, however, fails:

Yumen.png

As you can see in the second screenie, although Tibet (with some help from Ethiopia) was able to keep their armies in the field and avoid destruction, they were quite unable to impose their will and throw me back across the border. We eventually got into the odd situation that the entire Tibetan army, and their Ethiopian support, were sitting in Amdo, waiting for me to attack; a hundred regiments in a mountain province. Attacking such a stronghold would have been most unpleasant, and anyway they must have been driving their attrition and hence WE through the roof just sitting there; as you can see in the status screenie below, Tibetan WE at the end was nearly twice that of the Khanate. It's not as though we fought a lot of battles, so I assume much of that can be attributed to attrition. Since the Tibetans were very kindly not making any counterattacks (presumably worried about facing superior units on flat ground), I simply left a largish force to keep an eye on them, spread out but in supporting distance of each other, and started occupying the country with what I had left over.

The war status near the end; all's done but the negotiating, at this stage.

WarStatus.png

Tibet ended up ceding three provinces to the Khanate and three to Punjab, and paying reparations of 5000 gold to Persia. The Africans got off lightly due to the threat of Russian intervention. I wonder if vR was a bit annoyed by the separate peace Tibet signed in the previous war?

Heh. I remember that first battle. Moved 24k in so that they'd arrive and join the defenders in the mountains the day after you did. Damn your better general and the sucky Muslim-group infantry holding the main part of the line for allowing you to escape with only moderate damage.

I make no apologies for the Tibetan super stack. I was way too busy fighting Malayan fleets to move troops around in Tibet after that; the intention was for a couple small stacks to guard Amdo mountains and provide a safe retreat for any Tibetan units that lost battles. If Tibet stacked everything in Amdo instead of fighting, well, silly Tibet.

IIRC my part of those troops was eventually withdrawn and sent to fight the Bavarian invasion of India anyway.

Here's a couple screenies of my own. Sadly, they didn't translate to victory; Malaya had lots of reserves.

EU3_69.jpg

EU3_70.jpg

Last edited:
Kongo & Bavaria said:
The Treaty of Pisa

-Recognition of the Kongolese sphere in Africa, and Bavaria's sphere in the Americas (neither party shall interfere with nations within the sphere, expand into said sphere, support anyone elses' expansion into said sphere, and both shall recognize the owner of the sphere as the arbiter of the area within said sphere).
-Recognition of the Ethiopian sphere (see above).
-Bavarian help in maintaining Kongolese sphere integrity.
-Military access to Kongo to aid Bavarian exploration.
-Both parties agree to a solemn pact of non-aggression; neither party will attack the other, join in wars of aggression against the other, or incite or aid wars of aggression against the other.
-The treaty shall last until 1453-05-30, and is subject to automatic renewal every 20 years thereafter, unless otherwise stated by the signatories.

Item (1) The Treaty of Pisa was in force last session, having always been renewed.

Item (2) during the BavCat/Slavic wars, Fivoin agreed that Kongo could honour the defensive alliance that brought it to war with persia/punjab/mongols without breaking the NAP and that the treaty between Kongo and Bavaria was still in force.

Item (3) Bavaria supported the interference of Persia and Malaya in the Ethiopian sphere, as well as making attacks on the vassals, armies and territory of Kongo in an aggressive war targeting Kongo and her allies.

In view of this, the Mwene Kongo must name the Bavarians oath-breakers and announce that the Kongolese find the word of oath-breakers a dead letter. The Mwene Kongo would like all interested parties to know that Kongolese guarantee of Bavarian America is also a dead letter.

On behalf of the Mwene:

fasquardon

The World of 1617
As Noted Down By Remarkably Objective Andalusian Historiographers, Inspired As They Are By Divine Savegames

Topography

Nations, Blobbed

Nations, Unblobbed

Income
Average Income Per Province
Red = 3.44330769231 ducats per province per month; Green = 15.5962142857 ducats per province per month.

Income per Nation
Red = 162.248 ducats per month; Green = 1091.735 ducats per month.

Technology
Average Tech Level
Red = 22.6; Green = 27.2.

Tech Speed
Red = 9.96331261701; Green = 283.313777778.

Development
Average Buildings per Province, per Nation
Red = 3.76470588235 buildings per province; Green = 14.8666666667 buildings per province.

Buildings per Province
Red = 0 buildings per province; Green = 26 buildings per province.

Military
Army Size

Navy Size

Culture & Religion
Cultures

Religion

Curse Bavaria and the silly Christians in China.

Persia isn't looking so hot these days...

Fear not, its focus on land makes it a contender still in that arena. As shown by the manpower and land screenshots!

Income

EU3_80.jpg

Income page 2 (Sweden is a new player slot)

EU3_81.jpg

Tech

EU3_82.jpg

Leaders

EU3_83.jpg

Manpower (see Persia right up there?)

EU3_84.jpg

Same page ranked by army size (see Persia still right up there?)

EU3_85.jpg

Navy size

EU3_86.jpg

A special internal look at the Ethiopian realm

EU3_87.jpg

Finally, the world's most valuable COTs.

EU3_88.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.