• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think something went terribly wrong with your "average income per province" map and your "average tech level" map.

If I had time and received AAR rewards for it, I might be bothered. The way things are now, meh. Also: average income per province is not broken: OPM, player-run Quepeck is skewing the scale.

Last edited:
Also to be noted that Egypt now controls the Holy Land all the way up to Hammah =D Except for the few Croatian vassals.

A Report on the General Course of the War in Persia

First Phase: Persian attacks in Egypt simultaneous with Ethiopian attacks in Arabia. Egypt (suffering from both severe lag and Mayi's excellent generals) is forced from the war. Persia, most of its army busy fighting the Egyptians, scorches its part of Arabia and withdraws in the face of Ethiopian advances. Ethiopia wins battles in Al Hasa and Qatar, Bahrain, Al Hasa and Jabal Shammar are captured from the Persians in Arabia before Ike bows out.

Second Phase: Military advantage in Arabia swings to Persia, which turns its attacks south to knock Ethiopia out of the war as Tripoli was. Ethiopian troops quickly withdraw from northern Arabia, anticipating the coming superior numbers of Persians. A defensive line is established anchored in Qatar in the East and mountainous Mecca in the West, and undefended provinces are scorched. This involves conceding a number of provinces to Persia without fighting, but better to retreat before losing a battle than after.

Third Phase: The Eastern line is left unmolested, but Persia attacks strongly in the West, and between superior numbers, superior morale, and 5 shock generals, breaks the defense in Mecca, mountains be damned, and drives Ethiopian troops southward. Enough soldiers are in place to cover the retreats, and a second Western defense is established anchored around Mocha, another mountainous province in southern Arabia. Persia advances swiftly, reaching San'aa deep in southern Arabia, but does not attempt to break sixty regiments guarding a mountain province - since Mocha is adjacent to a strait, there was no need to reserve troops to guard lines of defense in this case. Battles were fought in Mecca and Asir, both won by Persia. Once again neither I nor Mayi wiped any regiments.

Fourth Phase: In order to relieve pressure in Arabia, an offensive is begun in Persia proper, attacking from the east and amphibiously. All the land in Eastern Persia is mountainous and extremely defensible, but none of it was defended as Mayi had preferred to send all available forces to Arabia. This is the main theatre of Kongolese involvement, and also 24 Ethiopian regiments are committed (initially); once it became clear just how undefended Eastern Persia was, 24 grew to 60 very quickly thanks to the wonders of naval transport. Quick hop across the Persian Gulf is much faster than marching around by land. No battles at all were fought during the Eastern attack, despite advancing nearly to Baghdad.

Fifth Phase: Mayi withdraws almost his entire army from Arabia to protect Persia itself. The African advance in eastern Persia moves west until we run out of mountains, overlooking Mesopotamia from Laristan and Fars; no way, though, that we would come down out of the mountains to risk engaging the vastly superior Persian armies finally arriving in Mesopotamia on the plains. Instead, Ethiopian armies dig in in the East and counterattack in the West, swiftly retaking Ethiopian Arabia and pressing forward into Persia against nearly no opposition. During this counterattack I got the first wipe of nearly five years of combined fighting between Persia and Ethiopia (finally! Mayi is a tough fight!).

Sixth Phase: Mayi's main armies organize in Mesopotamia and begin a strong counterattack, looking to push us out of the mountains. The first Persian attack is defeated, but Mayi once again commits most of his army to a single front, guaranteeing him eventual success but leaving other areas undefended. Counterattack direction Arabia to Anatolia, even as subsequent Eastern attacks of crack Persian stormtroopers led by veteran generals break my mountain defenses. Mayi wipes an Ethiopian stack in the East during this time, leaving our honors equal, but loses three or four times as much territory in the West as he regains in the East.

At the end of the war Africa had an obvious advantage but had not won decisively; Persian WE was significantly higher and a number of provinces were occupied, whilst my manpower pool remained at 75% of max and Kongo's was likely higher. However Persia still had its main armies in the field, and had not yet run out of manpower (I don't know how much was left). Ultimately the war was decided, like the previous, when Persia's alliance leader, Bavaria, surrendered. Persia, though losing, had a lot of fight left in it.

After the exit of Tripoli our forces were pretty evenly matched on land, perhaps even with a slight advantage to Persia (inferior in overall numbers to what Kongo and Ethiopia together had in the fighting, but significantly superior in quality); the reason the war was slightly to the advantage of Africa, then, is because the Africans were largely able to outmaneuver the superior Persian armies. Shouldn't have gone with necromancy, Foels; the zombies may not die to anything but a headshot, but they're just too slow. ;)

Of course, when you can ship armies across the Persian Gulf in two weeks and it takes the Persian armies six months to march around by land to the new front line, that helps outmaneuver them. But even so, Persia was consistently forced to make attacks into mountain provinces. That it won many of them is a testament to its superior army, but Ethiopia only fought one defensive battle outside of the mountains in the entire war, while Persia, IIRC, fought none of its defensive battles against me with the advantage of any terrain modifiers at all. I am willing to admit that if all the major Persian-Ethiopian fighting had not happened on ground of Ethiopian choosing, I would have been crushed.

Overall, I suspect that fighting Persia with morale and leadership-inferior soldiers of mine was probably a lot like fighting my soldiers as tech-inferior Punjab or Mongolia must have been, but in this case maneuver and control of the sea helped offset the advantages. It would have been very difficult to get a decisive victory by maneuver alone, though; outmaneuvering the Persian armies led to Persian provinces being occupied and Persian WE being racked up, but you can't crush their armies unless you can crush their armies.

"But what about the dragons?"
"I will slay one for you and bring you its scales. I will look at the fading blaze of its dying eyes and will dedicate every breath of air I breathe after that to you."
"And what if you find the Fountain of Youth? What if some beautiful Valencian merchant queen, having found it just before you, drank from it, returning to youthfulness to complement her worldly power? Who is to stop her, and her wicked worldly wiles, her crafty tricks, her devious nature, from corrupting your unblemished, God-given purity?"
"I will laugh, and turn her my back, for surely the Fountain of Youth is God's way to test who among his flock are unworthy of joining him in the Afterlife. Clearly, no Valencian strumpet can compete with you for chastity and righteousness; there is only one for me, and she is you, and together we will enter the Kingdom of God when He calls us to Him."
"How will you resist the corrupting influence of the men of the state? When they ask you to gamble, promising you will win more gold than you can carry, when they offer you a position of power, to wield influence over your fellow man?"
"I will kiss the silver cross hanging from my neck and turn away from their sullying influence, for it is written that men of power are nothing in the eyes of the Lord, and lowering myself to their level will only serve to corrupt me. Father Dupuys has taught us well, dearest Marie."
"Oh Abélard, I wish I could come with you! Oh, so fervently I hope that you will be able to let me join you soon..."
"My love, God will find a way for us to be together. It is meant to be; it is written. We are married; our union is holy. This temporary absence is merely a test."

It is fortunate that the majority of immigrants to the New World are not Protesters against Averroism like Abélard, because men of clear mind and reasonable purpose are required to tame the wild lands of the Americas. Abélard is most likely to end up in a plantation, working for a latifundian and if he's competent, hard-working and frugal, he will likely end up a prosperous land-owner himself: let it be known that the Catalunyan system does not discriminate, and will reward those who do their part for society, no matter what their creed or belief.
Most who choose to go to the new world are the third and fourth sons of families who have lived in the vibrant plains of Iberia for generations, who know exactly what dreary and uneventful life awaits them if they stay, but who have heard tales of young men presiding over cities where the streets are literally paved with gold. It is not all rumour: men who know responsibility rise in the ranks quickly, due to the meritocratic nature of the by now firmly established Republic and its merchant houses.
War has left the Catalunyan shores, trade is booming again, and the point of emphasis has slowly but discernably moved to the vigorous development of the Americas. This is the time the seeds for future greatness are sown.

(Naval Tradition, for Traders and Collectors, the framework of the Catalunyan oligarchy.)

Very exciting.
KoM: Don't antagonize Russia. They can be your best friend. It should be Death to Persia, not Russia. Persia can be defeated with a good ally or two. Russia STRONG, you cannot hope to defeat it.

englandball41.png

New Punjab

“Wonderful wonderful! Put the Roman text over there, and careful now! Those are worth more than you can possibly imagine!” said Najib Udasi dressed in the white and yellow of the headmaster of the school here in Samarkand excitedly to the tired workers bringing in another trunk full of priceless books and texts. “This a most glorious day of glory to be sure, and will live on forever!” he proclaimed to no-one in particular.

“Urg, my back is killing me, how many books could those horse-lords possibly have made? And why give them all to our Lord o Books, this place is full of them already!” But as usual Abu got no reply from the other end of the large iron reinforced wooden chest, except for the occasional grunt and “you talk to much” glare. His Feet were starting to hurt too now he noticed as he walked back to the square outside but one glance to the sweaty brows of his friends made him hold his tongue. They were at it all day and the day before that and that and now the sun was setting but every time they emptied a cart the horse-lords pulled up another. “And man its not even getting any colder, I remember around this time of year snow would fall in the east at night, that reminds me, when do we eat?” His stomach was grumbling now “I would love some Yak steak”. “SHUT-UP, and lift with your legs Abu, we eat when this car is empty” growled the overseer at him. “yes yes that's what you said two carts ago” Abu muttered under his breath and for once he got a grin from the other side of the chest.

Najib could not believe it, the storage rooms were full and so were the lecture halls, they were storing valuable texts in the dormitories now!. “The Komnenoi spoil us with all their gifts, this will surely start a golden age for Punjab that will revitalise the country.” “In fact I shall write our prince immediately to seize this opportunity and expand the school so we can truly call ourself an University, we have enough space here and enough knowledge to educate ten Punjabs, ha!” The guard Captain that came with the Komonenoi as a guide was a grizzled veteran of the Yak-wars and simply nodded. I only had me ever one book once he thought, felt mighty smooth on my cheeks. Somehow it did not seem right to share that bit of soldiering experience with this Lord o Books or whatever they call him. “I have no use for books my Lord, I cant read or write” the Captain said after it seemed that Najib was waiting for answer more than just a nod.

“Ah, but you will soon feel the practical applications of all this knowledge my friend, the foundries in the south have already received the blueprints for new weapons and have started to produce them an mass, and I'm not talking about measly swords, no sir, we are making Guns!” Najib replied with glee in his voice and a glint in his eye to the Captain. Guns, the Captain thought, now there I could find a use for.

Last edited:
Khmer - War

A cool breeze blew over Khmer's grand fleet, flapping their finely crafted sails. The ships stood in the harbour waiting for the 10 thousand soldiers to arrive. Khmer was going to war. Our country's kind protector, Croatia, was going to war with Bavaria and its allies. There were no enemy provinces in mainland Asia for us to deal with, there was, however, a small Spanish trading outpost in the Indonesian islands. Everyone in Khmer was eager to go. War rarely comes and when it does, people will flock to the recruitment center or wherever they recruited people in the 16th century.

"Captain! The soldiers are here!" shouted vice-captain Ung Se Ku. The sound of trumpets, drums and marching was all that could be heard in the harbour as the 10 thousand soldiers drew ever closer. Grand captain Me Hi Lo stood on the poop deck of the fleet's flagship, Dalai, and looked over the approaching force.
"I hate the army." he told Ung Se.
"I know." Ung Se replied.
"Go get them to their flytes, I do not want this to take any longer than it must." ordered the Grand Captain.

That night the fleet set sail to the island. Me Hi Lo was enjoying a pleasant meal on the Dalai with the High Prince, Am Eng Kong.
"It is a pleasure to meet such a noble seafarer as yourself." the Prince complimented.
"Thank you. It is an almighty pleasure to meet you as well. I have heard a lot about you, King Kong." Me Hi said.
"Actually I am a Prince, not a King." replied the Prince. Unfortunately, the rest of the meal was contained by an awkward silence.

The fleet had arrived. After almost a month of sailing through the Indonesian Raisin's islands, the fleet had arrived. Many people had died of plague and attrition but, nonetheless, the fleet had arrived.
"It's a bit small..." Ung Se Ku said, dissapointed.
"Where's the city?" the Prince asked.
"There's a small jetty over there." the Grand Captain said. After saying this he gave the order to land the troops. Eventually all the little boats were tied at the jetty and the fleet as staying a safe distance away from the shore. The soldiers had set up camp on the beach and were waiting until morning, as it was 8:59 PM, to act. Suddenly, on the hour, the sand began to shift beneath the soldiers. After a minute 300 Spaniards had emerged, all wearing Indiana Jones hats.
"Hola chigas! Me gusta Isle el Loca!" shouted one of the Spaniards.
"We own you now." Am Eng Kong proclaimed.

What? You want to find out what happens next? Khmer keeps the island! For true! Fine, here you go:

After a week of pillaging, forceful pleasuring and looting a Croatian messenger arrived in his taxpayer-funded luxury ship.
"Under the decree of the Holy Roman Emperor, all hostilities with Spain shall cease and all land shall be returned to its rightful owner."
"Vexhation!" Am Eng said.
"Go from this land!" Ordered the Croatian.
"Please?"
"Kong! Go!"

Fars, Persia

Sargon_of_Akkad.jpg

"And which Shahanshah is this?" the Emperor asked, a small smile upon his face. "His successors have not treated his face well, it seems!"

"Sargon of Akkad, the first King of the World, whose rule stretched over both of the Twin Rivers, and who is called the Great still." The Persian governor of Fars spoke in a subdued voice, as fit a man captured in battle and forced to give the tour of his own palace to its conquerors, but there was a note of pride.

Bae'da Maryam, first of that name, paused.

"Akkad? I forgive your Shahanshah of disrespect to his ancestors, then; that kingdom was ancient beyond count of years when Caesar ruled the earth and Livy wrote his histories. What says the tablet?" The Emperor pointed to a small stone tablet that lay under the ancient bronze.

"It is an inscription Sargon set up here. When I became governor I ordered wise men to turn it to Arabic, but there were none in my province who could understand it, and I had to send to Azerbaijan for a translation. It says..."

The man broke off at a battery of hostile stares from the Emperor's attendants. Everyone who studied Persia knew the rumors of the scholar who had lived in Azerbaijan since before the memories of the most ancient grandfathers... and everyone knew that translating ancient texts was not his chief calling. The Persian stammered before the Emperor interrupted, his eyes still on Sargon.

"It would seem that the Necromancer's rot runs through all of Persia, and not just the North. A sad blemish on a once noble realm. Still, I will not punish you for living in the country you do, and making a translation is a better use than many have put his services to. Tell me, what does it say?"

"Whatever king may come after me and wish to call himself my equal, let him go where I went, and conquer where I conquered."

"...There is no more?"

"Sargon wrote other inscriptions, but they lie in the Shahanshah's library in Baghdad." The Persian looked nervous.

"And where did he go, and conquer?"

"From the Lower Sea to the Sea of the West, so it is said, and the poets say that he was one of the builders of Babylon and ruled the mountains of ancient Elam, where you stand now."

A thoughtful look crossed the Emperor's face, and he turned away, walking over to one of the palace windows. They sat in the first foothills of the Persian highlands, and looking out one could see the lowlands to the West stretching as far as the eye could see. Today, a thick fog lay over the valleys, but under the clouds... Sumer, Akkad, Assyria, Babylon! The ancient realms that made Rome look a recent thing, that made the courts of Europe naught but half-grown children, only a half a millenia old, that made even the House of Solomon seem young and untested... Empires ancient and wealthy beyond the dreams of kings, the palaces of beautiful priestess-queens and the tombs of kings from before history all lay before him and his sixty thousand soldiers camped in Fars.

He turned to the confused looks of his courtiers, and realized that he had been standing a long time.

"My Emperor?" one hazarded. "Are you thinking of going down into the plains, to fight the Shahanshah for the rule of Persia?" The man's eyes shone; clearly more than one man here had been seized suddenly by the dream of empire.

The Emperor answered slowly.

"Let us..."

He paused, and few of the courtiers dared breathe loudly. Bae'da Maryam looked at the gathered faces, and smiled.

"Let us leave Mesopotamia and all its ancient myths to the Shahanshah. Let Persians and Mongols fight over the echoes of old glory; it is given to us to build something new. Come, governor, show me to your library of maps so that we may plan our defense in the mountains.

Last edited:
Irsh Faq, thanks for those updates. They are very interesting.

I'm glad you like them :) I figure some gameplay reports to go with KOM's narrative can't hurt.

yea, i had to listen the song couple of times myself also to get proper inspiration in place.

Twenty Thousand Strong

May 13th, 1605
East of the Urals
Ortai tribal lands

"If you like, I will ride with you."

"What good is that?" The Ortai chieftain spat. "The Cossacks come twenty thousand strong! Do you think yourself a hero out of legend, to conquer such a host alone?"

Akhilleus sighed. "No," he said softly. "I was offering to ride for the honour of the Komnenoi. Not for victory."

"That for the honour of the Komnenoi. Where are the kataphrakts?"

The kataphrakts were in New Byzantium, ready to fight if the latent civil war should break out into the real thing; but the tribes could not be allowed to know that. Akhilleus went on the offensive. "Where are the Ortag riders? You live near the border; you are expected to deal with raids. For this reason we remit your tribute and send you weapons and horses. Riding in I saw a hundred great glossy beasts fresh from the Komnenoi stud. Cossack raids are no new thing in this land; have you not dealt with them before?"

"Yes. We have fought the Cossacks. We have fought the Ostyaks who lick Russian spittle. We have fought the gelded Voguls. All this is true; the Ortai are the finest warriors on the steppe, and we can deal with all these foes. But we cannot deal with the regular infantry of the Czar! The Cossacks are not alone; they brought artillery on their last raid. For the third time I ask you, man of the Komnenoi: Where are the kataphrakts? Where is the protection due to a loyal vassal?"

Akhilleus dropped his gaze. "I do not know, chief of the Ortai. I have not been told." It would not do to speak truth: To say that New Byzantium had given up on fighting Russia, and had abandoned this western borderland to the eternal Cossack pressure. The Cossacks were pushed in turn by the Russian settlers and forts behind them, and they again were driven by the will of the Czar and the desire of second sons for estates and serfs of their own. Akhilleus thought that the Cossacks might not hold the trans-Ural for long after taking it from the Ortai; the steppes were wide, but there was no room in them for both settler and nomad. But to convince the Cossacks of such a thing was futile; and it would be thin comfort for the Ortai. So he said nothing, and did not meet the chief's eyes.

"I see." The chieftain straightened his back and took a deep breath. "Then the Komnenoi have failed in their obligations, and our treaty is broken. And I will act as I must, to save my people. Andrei! Come forth."

A man stepped out of the darkness behind the chief's chair; he smirked at Akhilleus, but spoke softly. "Yes? You will accept our offer, then?"

"I will. We will give bread and salt to you, the Czar's envoy; and will hold our range of the Czar's grace, and fight the Czar's enemies. And we will hope that the Czar's grace lasts, and does not turn to his settlers, when they have done with what were Cossack lands ten years past." Akhilleus snorted mentally through his despair; the Ortai was no fool, just a man with no good choices. "But needs must when the Devil's grandmother drives; and perhaps the horse will learn to sing. I renounce the service of the Komnenoi, and accept the yoke of the Czar. And therefore: Go hence, Komnenos envoy; you are no longer welcome in the lands of the Ortai."

Akhilleus nodded silently, and turned to leave - then turned again, drawing his dagger as he moved with the blinding speed of the agoge. The weapon flew with unerring accuracy, landing in the Russian envoy's eye; the envoy fell with the instant limpness that comes from massive brain trauma. For a long moment the chieftain stood frozen in surprise, staring wide-eyed at Akhilleus, who smiled bitterly. "Go on, chief of the Ortai. Explain to your new master how his envoy came to be dead, in your tent, after you had given him bread and salt and taken the Czar's yoke. Who knows? Perhaps you will find him as forgiving as the Senate and the People of Rome. I wish you luck of the explanation, and joy of your new service."

In truth it wasn't that likely to cause trouble for the chief; the Czar had other envoys, after all, and would probably accept any explanation that involved a perfidious Komnenos killer. But it was the best Akhilleus had been able to come up with; and anyway it had wiped the damnable smug smirk off the Russian's face. In the circumstances, Akhilleus felt quite pleased with that accomplishment; it might be his last, but by the God it was a satisfying one!

He turned again to run as the chief fumbled for a weapon and shouted for his warriors; if he could get to his horses he had a reasonable chance of making it out onto the vastness of the steppe, where a man could disappear. There were other tribes to be talked into futile resistance.

Last edited:
Looks like there will be no peace between Mongol and Russian.

We fight for what is right

Each day more and more soldierds arrived were recruited from the streets of the major cities. Many of the thiefs that were unfortunate enough to get themselves caught were send to the training camps and trained as soldiers to fight against injustice and those who were abusing their power and destroying lives of people. Such were the Persians who were abusing the Muslim people without any regrets and this was something the Caliph and the people of Egypt couldn't live with. So the only choice was to reconquer Sinai that had been lost to the Persians years ago. But even though Persians were easily defeated there were others who tried to benefit from the situations, such as the Komgols and their vassals.

The Komgols tried to attack the allies of Africa from behind but little did they know that the Africans were going to honor their alliances. So once again Komgolia and Africa were at war. The result of this war could be told from the begining, the Africans were going to win as the Komgols failed at their declaration of war and joined the Russian-Bavarian war too late. They were left alone as both Bavaria and their allies had peaced out and as well as the Persians had been defeated once again. So the Komgols were forced to engage the Tibetan armies in Tibet. Even though the Komgolians were victorious against the Tibetans their ally Punjab was no match to the Africans when they arrived and soon they were on the run. Egyptians quickly conquered back the provinces Punjab had taken from them and pushed inwards defeating the Punjabi armies. But unlike the Punjabis the Egyptian armies didn't burn the lands they had conquered and instead they helped the people to survive the war. News of this soon spread trough out the Punjabi lands and when ever they heard the Egyptians coming they welcomed them as saviors and liberators. Some of the people even hoped that Egypt would conquer all of Punjab and banish the evil government that abused its people. But this was not going to happen as when the Russians arrived to the Siberian front the Komgolians quickly turned around and headed home and abandoned their allies.

After that they tried to negotiate peace with the Russians trying to get as much as they could forgiven to them. There was time when all parties involved stated their claims to the Komgolians they outrageously ignored many of them even though agreeing on them all and when the time to make peace came they claimed never to have seen such demands. But their minds were soon turned when the Russo-African alliance stated that if the war continues the demands will grow too. Fearing that they would lose even more land the Komgolians quickly accepted the claims and saved themselves. Once again Good and won the Evil in the everlasting battle of justice. The balance in Asia was once again moving in to the right direction and the lands were rebuild.

Site-B

Many tales were being told about Isla Nublar and Isla Sorna, tales that were terrifying and horrible stories of foul things and foul creatures. Of course such things were not heard from the Government Officials or any other high ranking members of the Asker administration. It seemed almost that the whole Isla Nublar and Isla Sorna thing was all their doing as the first Asker Doge was the first one to issue the garrison in Isla Nublar and the Doge after him garrisoned Isla Sorna. Ten thousand men strong armies were placed on both islands and they served there until their death. Most of them were criminals and prisoners of war but there were volunteers also wanting to prove themselves to Allah. This of course was more than fine for the government and the army which wanted to keep the things that happened on the islands secret.

Of course from now and then someone managed to escape the islands with the supply ships that arrived on six months interval. These who escaped usually arrived in Alexandria where they started spreading their tales about the islands. The tales varied greatly, some said that there were big scary lizards which the army was guarding, some said that on the islands experiments were made to bring back the dead. Others then again said that the Asker dynasty was building a secret weapon of mass destruction there which would guarantee them world domination. And when the stories were told by people to people in all over the nation they started to get mixed up and meld together. It didn't take long that the stories carried their way to the ears of the government officials, who of course didn't like this. They hired (h)assassins to (h)assassinate the escapists and silence their foul stories.

The Asker Doges issued cover-ups about these stories and claimed them to be the work of the tellers imagination and that Isla Sorna and Isla Nublar simply worked as trading ports and naval bases for Egypt. Which was of course true as they both had trading ports and naval bases as a front for what ever monstrosities happened in the inland. No outsiders were ever let to leave the ports except back to the sea where they came from and if the guards found someone inland who didn't belong there, the person was never heard of again. Some tried to land on the rough beaches on the other side of the islands but they were not that lucky and usually they dissapeared without a trace. Where they killed by the guards or did they fell as victims to the beasts that habited the islands? Nobody knows but one thing is sure, that there is something dangerous in there as the Isle Guards are always supplied with the latest weapon technology first, they have the latest equipment ever developed and only that serves as a clear sign that the Government either wishes to keep outsiders away or keep what ever is on that island in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.