• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BirkinQC

Recruit
28 Badges
Feb 13, 2005
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Pride of Nations
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
  • Iron Cross
  • Darkest Hour
When you look at the minimap in the down left corner, you can see night and day pass by. In january you see it as a wave moving round the globe representing shorter day - longer night north of the equator, and vice versa in the south (where it is summer that time of the year, as we all know).
Now, as the game proceeds to march 21st (equinox), you expect to see a perfectly vertical dark shaded band from north to south, moving east to west, representing exactly 12hr day and night, in every region of the world. But then you look at the minimap still seeing day-night ratio as it is during mid january, and in june more like mid february. So, when I launch a German attack in Russia somwhere in june, i've maximum 9 hours of daylight to accomplish instead of the 16-18 hours daylight in real Russian summer!! Minding the severe penalty you have in a night attack,I think this situation has an enormous impact on the game, and is completely unrealistic.
It's strange that I did not find it mentioned before in all the other threads I've read.
Reactions?

You're right that the cycle on the minimap doesn't seem to be correct. I never payed much attention to it except as a rough approximation so I didn't even notice if it alternating correctly.

Fortunately the day/night cycle of every season seems to work almost correctly on the actual map, doesn't it?

Another thing: fixing this bug will make winter attacks in Russia being performed partly during nighttime.

This will make the attacker suffer even more and make General Winter more realistic. And with this done the winter attritions could be made a bit less severe.

The misleading day/night overlay on the minimap is even more annoying than in HoI1, because now there's no day/night indicator on the mission windows of air and naval units. It's not a big deal for air, but I do need to know whether it's night or day when I'm moving a fleet around.

Okay, panic for nothing. I Checked it out with the attack command and as sgt Bulldog replied, the day/night settings on the actual map match the seasons correctly, so there is no real problem.

BirkinQC said:
Okay, panic for nothing. I Checked it out with the attack command and as sgt Bulldog replied, the day/night settings on the actual map match the seasons correctly, so there is no real problem.

What about in asia where daybreak in game is at 2100-0100 hrs. :rolleyes:

Very Simply, Paradox his built into the game the fact that the 23 degree tilt of the Earth's axis is such that the North Pole is always pointed away from the Sun. That is how the North Hemisphere always has shortened days. Unfortunatly, over many years we would be plunged into an eternal winter, which leads to the very annoying winter supply problem. :rofl: :wacko:

Guys, is it only me ? :confused: In my version, when I choose to assign a mission to a division, a nice little "blue sky" icon or "night stars" icon next to the attack/move time indicates whether it will be night or day at the begining of the attack. I don't even think about the actual time it is, I just lanch the attack at the first "blue-sky" time available.

For air/see units, you may also choose whether you perform the mission during night time or day time.

I never look at the minimap, but I must acknoledge that I have never seen 18- or 20-hour days in Sankt-Peterburg either (I refer to the icon on the begining of attack screen). This is like the weather: winter is exaggerated, summer is underestimated.

Napoleon Rules said:
For air/see units, you may also choose whether you perform the mission during night time or day time.

Example: fighting the Royal Navy with KM carrier fleet. I need to show up off the English coast about four hours before sunrise. This will cause them to flip out and take off every zig, and I get a full day's turkey shoot when they show up an hour or two after sunrise, without any ineffective night fighting. Except I can't tell when sunrise is because the map is crap and the mission window doesn't say...so I have to guess. I once got a carrier battlegroup creamed by six battleships showing up before sunrise, and I don't want to repeat that.

Napoleon Rules said:
Guys, is it only me ? :confused: In my version, when I choose to assign a mission to a division, a nice little "blue sky" icon or "night stars" icon next to the attack/move time indicates whether it will be night or day at the begining of the attack. I don't even think about the actual time it is, I just lanch the attack at the first "blue-sky" time available.

Correct, me 2. I don't understand what Permangenta is talking about.

A seperate concern of mine - talking of winterweather - is that the defender does not seem to get penalised for winterweather - only the attacker. This makes no sense. The defender should have a reduced penalty like with rain or nighttime.

Permanganate said:
Example: fighting the Royal Navy with KM carrier fleet. I need to show up off the English coast about four hours before sunrise. This will cause them to flip out and take off every zig, and I get a full day's turkey shoot when they show up an hour or two after sunrise, without any ineffective night fighting. Except I can't tell when sunrise is because the map is crap and the mission window doesn't say...so I have to guess. I once got a carrier battlegroup creamed by six battleships showing up before sunrise, and I don't want to repeat that.

Why would you do that ? :confused:
You risk fighting submarines at night by going out early. By setting daytime mission, you only lose one hour of daytime of fighting (going out from the harbor). Makes no sense to me. The current naval mission settings remove a lot of micromanagement that were a pain in the A.. :eek: !