• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There will not be peace until the Romans a wasteland have made.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 22: Victims of War (8 OCT 288)

Amastris sits on the edge of the bed ticking off the moments until the new day. She can see glimmers of light in the horizon. She notices the higher level of security after the last week’s events.

A royal patrol marches through the courtyard on patrol. A small protest broke out yesterday. A Paphalagnoina slave escaped three weeks ago from Tieion to the capital without permission. There was an exact count to allow the country to have a bonus trade, yet this selfish ingrate decided to make a run for it on the coastal schooner between the two cities. This broke a trade route angering Pairisades for wasting 0.35 talents coming in for the fish we were trading to Athens out of Tieion. We then had to waste another 10 talents to move them back, then clamp down on slave promotions to teach them a lesson.

Now with all the domestic issues out of the way it’s back to the war… Yes, it is still dragging on. There was a serious war casualty this day. The Hellenic Thracians that were called barbarians by Thrace for breaking off into Odrysia in the first place, folded after the crushing defeat and seizing the capital by our forces. As soon as we captured the last territory Thrace annexed them.

22-OdrysiaWar.jpg

On the Macedon front things stayed status quo due to Macedon being pulled in two directions by our war and Taulantian and Taulantian Revolt, as two separate wars causing havoc in the western foothills. They made run for Pella before being beat back above Edessa.

It is now the fourth time that Thrace has started the siege at Amphipolis, hopefully with us no longer tied up with Odrysia it will fall this time.

22-MacedonWar.jpg

Both sides are attempting to distract Macedon forces to be on the opposite side. The Macedons will kill army on one front then run across to attack our front, back and forth. We finally caught them in Philippi, our forces were at full power and hidden in Oraion. Once we saw the Macedons return we forced marched and caught them before they were able to disengage from the encounter. Leaving roughly 9 cohorts from its starting 14. Macedon is in real trouble. Negative talents and -9000 manpower (making just the monthly).

Now Phrygia started up the war against them as well, but they seem to be more interested in helping Epirus than fighting Macedon, as both are allies of each other.

22-PhrygiaWWEStyle.jpg

Things do not look good for Kassandros. Time will tell…

At this point, if you break your alliance with Thrace, they're screwed.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Fourth's time the charm hopefully

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 23: Timing Makes Right (14 NOV 288)

For the third straight day, there were clouds covering the sky, rain was coming down fairly steady causing the courtyard and areas of the streets turn to mud. This made movement difficult Amastris decided to forgo her garden observation due to the dreary start to the day.

With our forces taking a break in Oraion, waiting to get back to our full strength after helping Thrace defeat a group of eight cohorts from Epirus. It was only the second win of the entire war, there was not much conflict as both sides were fighting over the same ground for the last two years.

Finally, a break came, a small cadre of six cohorts from Epidauros was hanging out too close to the siege, they decided to move when we caught them from behind, inflicting serious losses. We could by pass the fort via water as the Macedon fleet was tied up providing support elsewhere. Two cohorts ended up escaping the fight, merging into another army from Macedon so our nine cohorts destroyed the remaining four that were to slow to escape our sneak attack.

23-ThraceWar.jpg

That win allowed the Thracian general to maintain the siege without the threat of a Macedon led stack from the west. Now Thrace can push the advantage, once the fort fell in Amphipolis.

Phrygia for its part was taking care of business in the Peloponnese. They were holding up Macedon’s access while besieging Thessai, eliminating them from the conflict. Elateia was doing all it could to hang on and Eretria joined in the siege. All in all, the things look good for Phrygia to complete its war goal before winter sets in.

23-PhrygiaGatheringWS.jpg

Since the Summer of 290 we are in a deadlock war with 10.4 to 13.3 cohorts lost. The (-23) war score needs to be caught up soon or we will get the dreaded timeout for taking too long. With the gods in our favor, we will. Everyone in the court is getting impatient.

We have picked up our manpower to almost 14 cohorts in reserve. We are approaching another milestone in being to select a tradition. There is a downward trend to stability as Amastris’ sacrifice is beginning to wear off.

Maybe another sacrifice is in order?

Things certainly look a little on the bleak side.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very nice AAR with good mix of narrative and gameplay.

I just bought Imperator after taking a 6 months break from Paradox games . Then I read the negative reviews and put it down . Now reading this AAR , I think I will invest the time to learn Imperator and give it a go.

Keep up the good work and Glory to Heraclea and her queen.

• 1Like
Reactions:
War’s end nears.

In due time, will yet Heraclea Pontica reclaim the old empire of Cyrus and Darius?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 24: Short Lived Success (17 FEB 287)

Another dull dreary morning, this time snow greeting Amastris. This is the first time in recent memory that snow touched Heraclea Pontica. Typically, the city sees steady yet mild precipitation. It rarely freezes due to the sea currents keeping away most of the severe weather, pushing it towards the east. A couple of the royal mouser cats were playing out in the snow, batting at snowflakes with their paws before they hit the ground. They may have forgotten their duties for a time, but the Basilissa could not.

Oxyanthes requested to visit with his mother over the tactics being used in the Macedon war. Losses are mounting on both sides and progress is at a standstill. Now at 17.8 to 20.4 cohorts. We cannot continue this way in a war of attrition. He proposes we sail around the fort to Kassandreia and work back towards the fort using the sea as our protection.

Three years of drudgery is costing us valuable time in attempting to further the divine mission. Perhaps this is a test, to aid our fellow Greeks whom declare themselves free. Blindly follow the Anatolian Greeks who fled Greece to be free, only to be subject to a king submitting that same Grecian homeland. Indeed, a paradox that Thrace has yet to fully understand.

The Macedons may have a better nautikon, but it is tied up fending off Phrygian forces. If we fail in breaking this dead lock we will be in for another year of war. The winter is rough on the whole region this year, slowing down reinforcements. The progress we made was short lived as in the last three months Macedons erased the advantages.

24-MacedonWar.jpg

The Phrygian army for their part was laying siege to two important bottlenecks in the area. There wanted to break through and head north into Macedon, but were blocked when they decided to chase the Macedon nautikon around the Peloponnese and decided to dock in Corinth.

24-PhrygiaProg.jpg

At last we have a plan to make progress, just will it work this time?

Indeed, that is quite a paradox...

It's always nice to have a plan, though no plan survives contact with the enemy...

Chapter 25: Those whom Kneel (10 FEB 284)

For the last three years, the routine was the same. Amastris would wake watch the sunrise hear the war is still going on and stay in her chambers. She cared little for the matters of state as the situation was completely under control. Why make a presence in the throne room, just to sit. She delegated the duties of handling citizen complaints to the Tropheus Eudamidas Demostenid which in turn reduced unrest with the native Bithynian Greek populace.

She was wondering if Ares has forsaken them. The war dragging on is causing a strain on the diplomatic relationships as Thrace is suffering from internal unrest to a prolonged war.

It was until early JAN 284 when we finally captured one of the last two territories, then last territory fell to Thrace 10 FEB 284 and immediately Lysimachos made peace with completing the war goal. Lysimachos was on his way to Heraclea Pontica when he declared the war over.

Upon entering the city, the royal trumpeters announced the Thracian presence. Amastris knew this was her chance to change the diplomatic situation. She was wearing her now famed Tyrian purple dibapha silk robe, one of the first known to exist. Put on her most alluring fragrance and sat upon her throne.

25-470-ThraceClientState.jpg

It was an intense argument. Amastris shouted like a woman possessed at Lysimachos. For nearly an hour, non-stop, barely taking a breath, about four years of lying in 'tafos'. Her nation carried to the brink of extinction as the hostile Armenian army over ran Pontus, restored Paphlagnoia, all the while she could just sit and watch. My nation's army was protecting your hide. It made me feel very insecure as to our diplomatic relationship.

Now we have a bellicose Armenia on our border instead of a passive Pontus that we essentially controlled. More drastic measure are going to be needed to stave off their offensive aggression. My consul and I decided to start a Cassius Belli against Armenia due to these actions. I sure hope we will not need to use it, but we will have it when the time comes.

For YOUR part Lysimachos you will be there, you will follow me like you always have, you did not realize that this dibapha trapped many a man before they knew it was too late. I was leading you into a divine trap, not of my making but that of our gods. You will now aid me in fulfilling my divine right as the rightful ruler of these lands.

NOW on your knees! You get to beg at the shrine of my life, the shrine you chased all these years. This will be the last time you will see a glimpse of it.

25-DivineMission.jpg

Amastris continues... Phrygia for their part will leave us both alone while we settle our affairs, as long as you behave. The alliance with Aeotila bothers me, now you will do obeisance to me. I fear that alliance will be our undoing, but I probably can avoid a complete calamity.
For it has been foretold that those under your charge will be ravaged in a war for that tiny island. I am unable to protect you in that instance and I will let Phrygia have their way with you. You won't fall but you will be punished.

25-PhrygiaWarProg.jpg

Now go home and stay there until the end of your days Lysimachos.

Chapter 26: On your Knees (9 SEP 284) PC (Lysimachos)

I was going there (to Heraclea Pontica) showing dominance, yet coming out I was displaying skinned knees. That pretty much sums the entire ordeal. It has been six months since that embarrassing day. I can still hear the tongue lashing she gave me echoing in my mind.

I am now a subject, to whom I sought to subject. I guess as she said it was for my own good. I have not much longer to live and I want to live it in peace. I can agree with that. We still have an alliance with Aeolia on the western Greek coast that will be of use later on. We can use that as a spring board into Epirus and Western Macedon territory.

How did I, the sly ol’ fox get caught by the lady in purple? She must have some sort of divine protection and guidance as she stated; she has changed, I can see that now. She now is more definitive in the responses she gives, instead of rolling over the minute I said anything. Amastris for her part is become a very capable ruler, indeed the Achaemenid blood runs strong in her, that is why I pursued her.

For one, I was attempting to subvert a prophecy I was given in 304. “All the successors shall cease to exist as they are now, they will be broken, not by their own hands, but by an outsider of their own.”

26-ThraceDiploSNAFU.jpg

It is become clear, as I am now broken, no longer to pursue my own interests. That perhaps I will be the shortest lived of the successors. I will make sure that all rulers that follow me follow whomever the ruler of Heraclea Pontica is, for they are our survival. It hurts to be on your knees; however, there is no pain at all when you cease to exist. Thrace will thrive under these new conditions as we can provide excellent protection against any aggressors.

Phrygia is broken as well, they beat on Macedon as we did, yet none of us were able to score a lasting victory. The son has taken over after his fathers’ death in attempting to keep the kingdom together. I know firsthand Amastris hatred of the Antigonids so they will be able to keep the uneasy peace for now, since they are trading and Phrygia moved troops away from the north entirely. They are still at war in the lower Grecian territories, attempting to claim “their” lands. If anyone has a rightful claim it is actually Amastris, being the Achaemenid Empire’s sole surviving royal family member that is currently ruling a nation.

26-PhrygiaWarCont.jpg

My plan backfired on myself, I attempted to seduce a woman, that ended up seducing me in the end. I chased her for nearly twenty years, only to be rejected each time. Now I know why, the divine had a plan for her that I could not see until now. It is my duty to help fulfill that plan.

In the end they will still be ‘my’ plans.

I think the saying goes: "It could be worse"

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, Amastris has seized suzerainty over Thrace.

That prophecy looks very self-fulfilling...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Bonus 4th post. Had to come into town, so I got on the grid for a bit.

Chapter 27: When Loyalty Weakens (11 FEB 283)

A wet dreary morning awaited Amastris, she huddled with a thicker wool cloak on her stone bench, chilled by crispness of the air. This was an unusually cold rain and the wildlife was not stirring. The trees were weeping from the rain, sending splatters down on her now greying hair. She looks up to determine that she had enough of this gloom and proceeded back into her warm herself by the royal fire.

Around midday there was a disturbance in the researcher’s office. It seems Agaios had to be removed from office for having a dalliance with another researcher’s wife causing a bunch of discontent within the offices. Agaios loyalty drop also contributed to the issues after being convicted and removed from office. Amastris did not keep him in prison, she appeased him enough that he would quietly run his family without causing any further fuss. If he acted out of line, friend or no, she would take care of the situation. This upset Agaios but made the other three researchers comfortable that Amastris thinks about the whole instead of just one individual person, who acted improperly. To make matters worse for Agaios, he became rivals with the one person Amastris could ill afford to lose, Pairisades, the Archigrammateus, and former consort. So, she revoked her friendship with Agaios and sent him on his way.

27-Agaios.jpg

After all the distractions Amastris decided to go through all of the government positions to determine if anyone else needed to be ‘adjusted’. Things seem to be pretty stable as we take around a year off to build on our almost 16 cohorts of reserves.

Klechos came in grumpy, as always, as he wanted more funding to support the conversion efforts. I checked with Pairisades to see if we could spare the extra talents, and was rejected. We are planning to advance the divine mission, but are getting distracted by dogs nipping at our heels.

Aetolia is going to bite us for certain. They started a war they can do nothing with and expected Thrace to handle it for them. Thrace cannot join due to us being their overlords, now Phrygia has Aetolia in their sights. Dyme is the target with Phrygia supporting them so there will be a war, not sure when. Phrygia should not start a new war until they finish off Macedon, at least that is my hope.

Hopefully we can execute our war so that Phrygia does not declare on Aetolia, at least that’s the plan, to keep Demetros distracted.

Having to dispense justice is now a way of life for Amastris this time we decided to take some offensive action before anyone else could dictate our moves. We sent our fleet of ten ships with our updated ten cohorts (2A,2HC,2HI,3HC,1D) to liberate the Khersonesos ports.

27-militaryjustice.jpg

The war consul mandated to take only two of the four and stop by the next winter, as it is colder up north.

Never a dull day when you are a ruler.

Never a dull day. Indeed perhaps many a hair-pulling inducing day.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The larger and more influential the realm, the more things to worry about.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 28: Swift Moving Cohorts (9 NOV 282)

Amastris awoke before dawn yet again to the sound of the trumpeters sounding the ‘at war’ call. Her routine will now be made for her the rest of the time we in an offensive war. Get up, get dressed, go to the map room as soon as she is ready.

We have setup a new map room that has better items, including some more Tanagra figures from Mysia that look like little soldiers and boats. With this system we can better monitor what is going on. Amastris commissioned the addition to the castle be hexagonal in shape so they could see out five sides while still being attached to the castle by the sixth side. The new room was completed just in time for this war.

The fleet arrived on the coast of Khersonesos and are about to commence in a campaign that should be swift and bring at last some peace to the region.

28-warbegin.jpg

When in war the civic side also picks up. It seems that Phrygia and our nation wanted to swap a bunch of people from our border regions of four tribesmen, earning 70 talents for our trouble, to one province. Just so Phrygia could send four tribesmen to our side. It was a strange thing to do during a war. The economic benefits generated by this transaction more than offset the inconvieneces.

28-swaps.jpg

28-warmovements.jpg

Our first movement is we landed on the Port of Khersonesos engaging a stack of six cohorts completely unaware of the invasion. They fought admirably yet ran away in defeat. We finished sieging the port to allow our fleet access to the docks. We then proceeded to chase the remaining 5093 troops to Kalos Limen and engaged them again in a complete defeat with no losses. A great start. The Bosporan Kingdom happens to be at war with the other two allies of Khersonesos, tying them up so we can quickly conquer these ports and dispense military justice upon the Greeks that are against our hegemony in the region. We are all Greeks after all.

28-warstackwipe.jpg

As Hermiaos made his way down to K(C)hersonesos to lay siege to it. This was a short siege at 234 days. We quickly captured the capital and port and made peace in short order. We could have carried it on longer, but it would not be to our advantage with Armenia right on our doorstep.

28-sameresult.jpg

We wanted a quick war and got it with the war goals in mind. If the war drug out too long then we could get caught in a bind that we could ill afford to be in.

Now we will work for a quick peace to grow into a regional power that puts on equal footing to Thrace.