• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Viden

Kurt's Best AAR Reader
93 Badges
Jun 25, 2006
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Iron Cross
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
CabeceraAARingleacutes2_zpsa8a9faa7.jpg

Index

[URL="http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?665554-Daughter-of-Crusaders-and-Vikings-The-history-of-the-Republic-of-Sicily&p=15075605&viewfull=1#post15075605"]
[/URL]

Maps

The First Crusade

The First Norman War

Note: This is my first AAR using English, so I will greatly apreciate any correction/advice/whatever you make to me. Naturally, comments will we also very welcome!

Note 2: It seems that the forum resizes the images. I recommend to open them in a separate window in order to see them at their original seize.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Nice cover pic - I'll be reading!

Cool pic- I'll be waiting to hear just how the Most Catholic Republic of Sicily came to be!

Thank you both! I hope you like my writing. :)

PS: As note of the battles, I must say that Crusader numbers are inflated: in both battles tousands of men came in the last hours of each battle!

Interesting... So who is the Doge and who will be the scheming patricians?
Also, great work with the pictures, they visualize the events like no text ever can!

Thanks! I hope I have clarified your doubts.

PS: BTW, does anyone know why the Patricians holding cities become "counts" instead of "grand mayors"?

Last edited:
The level of graphical work and prowess required to pull it off is mind-boggling, even though it looks relatively modest due to how everything simply and unpretentiously clicks into place. But just look at the map and realise that it can't have been borrowed from somewhere in its entirety due to how it reflects a thirty years early first crusade that only happened in Viden's game. If anybody should get the Artist of the Month award, then I surely know a most deserving candidate. I can honestly say that while I put a lot of time effort in my AARs, I just simply wouldn't go there. This is like putting together a gaming magazine, here.

Great to see you writing in English Viden! I can't fault what you've written, but if I could make a tiny request, would you mind increasing the font size of your AAR text by one or two points? It is readable as is, but it would be a lot more so if it was around the same size as the standard forum text.

This is like putting together a gaming magazine, here.

Viden isn't the first to use this technique you know... :)

The level of graphical work and prowess required to pull it off is mind-boggling, even though it looks relatively modest due to how everything simply and unpretentiously clicks into place. But just look at the map and realise that it can't have been borrowed from somewhere in its entirety due to how it reflects a thirty years early first crusade that only happened in Viden's game. If anybody should get the Artist of the Month award, then I surely know a most deserving candidate. I can honestly say that while I put a lot of time effort in my AARs, I just simply wouldn't go there. This is like putting together a gaming magazine, here.

Wow, that is the most beatiful thing anybody told me in Internet. :blush:

Great to see you writing in English Viden! I can't fault what you've written, but if I could make a tiny request, would you mind increasing the font size of your AAR text by one or two points? It is readable as is, but it would be a lot more so if it was around the same size as the standard forum text.

Viden isn't the first to use this technique you know... :)

I will increase it and then you can tell me if it is ok or needs more calibration.

Last edited:
'Recently conquered' gives a bonus to garrison replenishment? What mod is this?

That aside, let me add my voice to the praise for the work you put into the presentation. The map of the First Crusade in particular was beautiful.

Great effort and result :) I am just surprised that the first Crusade was for Sicily.

Isn't really that odd from a historical perspective, though! Sicily had been the arena of reconquests and reconquest attemps for several centuries back. It made sense to direct the crusading crowds there rather than farther east, well, at least without a Basileus asking for help.

Really impressed with your graphics, the idea of a Christian Republic functioning out of Sicily is also really interesting. You have so many possible enemies and a great many opportunities for adventure and glory as well as intrigue and high politics. :)

New update. It seems that the automatic resizing of the forum just bugged another update (sight). And it seems that opening the image in another window does not put it at 100% size. So, the font size increase can not be remarkable (double sight). Next time I will make some shorter images instead of one larger, then perhaps could I deceive the fuc*** resizer. Anyway, I hope you like it.

'Recently conquered' gives a bonus to garrison replenishment? What mod is this?

That aside, let me add my voice to the praise for the work you put into the presentation. The map of the First Crusade in particular was beautiful.

Thanks! The map is my very first. :)

The mod is CK2+ 1.33.8.

Great effort and result :) I am just surprised that the first Crusade was for Sicily.

Thanks! About Sicily, you know good God-fearing Christians must fight to remove every potential threat to the Holy See!

Isn't really that odd from a historical perspective, though! Sicily had been the arena of reconquests and reconquest attemps for several centuries back. It made sense to direct the crusading crowds there rather than farther east, well, at least without a Basileus asking for help.

Aside what is explained at the beginning of the AAR, I tought it makes sense that the Pope wanted to get rid of the nearest Muslim threat to him. Anyway, something tells me that the Basileus is going to ask for help at some point. :p

Really impressed with your graphics, the idea of a Christian Republic functioning out of Sicily is also really interesting. You have so many possible enemies and a great many opportunities for adventure and glory as well as intrigue and high politics. :)

You see, my first war is not even against Muslims. And yes, losing that war means game over! :eek:

Last edited: