• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Minarchist said:
What is that British division with the name 'Firefly'?

I've never seen anything in HOI like that.
Sherman 'Firefly' tanks were the standard M4 chassis with an upgraded gun. Normal Shermans weren't much good against German tanks, so the new gun helped a bit.

Good progress. Why didn't you push a bit more south? The terrain there is more suitable for blitzkrieg-style offensives.

Anyways, British are gonna lose, that's for sure.

Firefly is a special unit like tiger division. It's a feature in the mod

This AAR is amazing, I like the style a lot, to the point, covering your strategy and elaborations on the battles.

Great plan in Italy, looks as though you pretty much secured yourself a victory. I am guessing the campaign in Italy will be over by Winter, which will allow you to transfer most of the units back to the east and launch a summer offensive against the Soviets.

I look forward to the summer months...

EvilSanta - Not my fault :p

Deus - Thanks, I am just mocking my Country that seemed to be unable to defend herself, afterall :)

Winner - Simply because Naples and the like are almost empty. I cannot tell my soldiers to encircle... oxygen in Naples, so I'm forced to encircle human - British - flesh where it resides at present.

Rommel22 - Thanks for your compliments; for the sake of truthfulness, however, let me stress again that the narration style of the updates is very similar to that of Remble from which I took inspiration. On the other side however, while the writing style may seem too 'borrowed' from his style, it is not; that's just casual concurrence.

The Italian campaign may be well over by the end of Winter for sure. The Soviets will fear 1945 for sure.

Update to come.

Last edited:
Operation Boot shiner

0600 November 10th 1944
OKH Reserve, Florence, Italy

The attack on Perugia saw its high and its low points. Another reshuffle was needed on day 13 of the battle of Perugia as German troops were tiring faster than they could inflict damage on the British.​

041-1-Perugia.jpg

It was literally a uphill battle, and was starting to be a costly one.​

1600 November 10th 1944
Foreign Ministry, Berlin, Germany

Von Ribbentrop was glad that, perhaps once in his career as a diplomat, had received a report at a decent hour of the day, instead of eternal midnight.​

041-2-Guangxi.jpg

It now seemed that the Guangxi Clique ambassador would have to find a new job. Another thing of a certain relevance was that most of Nationalist China's factories had shut down, but still the Japanese struggled to do any progress.​

041-3-Tannu.jpg

The usual habit of informing government officials at midnight resumed with the Soviet Union informing that now Tannu Tuva was under Soviet control.​

0200 November 11th 1944
5-va Armija, Cassino, Italy

A Bulgarian division had been the first to step on the ruins of Monte Cassino after six months of Allied occupation.​

041-4-FirstCassino.jpg

With most of the British busy in Perugia, not even that single division awaiting for reinforcements had been molested.​

0700 November 11th 1944

It was more and more difficult to keep the odds fairly high against the English. Lack of proper divisions suited for hilly terrain was one of the major hindrances to the battle's progress. That is why Ringel would dispatch his Mountain division that would be a valuable asset in helping the odds of the battle of Perugia.​

041-5-Perugia.jpg

The British, anyways, were still more than able to make life difficult for the Germans.​

1000 November 11th 1944
The skies above Rome

Eight South African squadrons badly damaged three of the Luftwaffe in an air clash above the Eternal City.​

041-6-RomeSky.jpg

It was not a happy day for the Luftwaffe, as those were among the few most precious and most equipped air squadrons it possessed at the moment. Soon after the defeat, every air mission would be recalled and all pilots returned to Florence.​

1800 November 11th 1944

The strenuous battle of Perugia was the focal point of Ringel's plan, but either side was slowly depleting the strenght of the other.​

041-7-Perugia.jpg

Four days of intense fighting was providing quite the same rate of tiredness to both sides.​

0500 November 15th 1944
Foreign Offices, Berlin, Germany

As von Ribbentrop particularly prediliged the early hours of the day, he encountered the Romanian ambassador at 0500 on November 15th. Afterall, old sayings agree that the most fruitful actions are those conceived in the early morning, and who was von Ribbentrop to not follow the old good wisdom of such sayings.​

041-8-Oil.jpg

The Romanian ambassador was of equal thinking; a fruitful deal had been brokered out; fruitful for Germany, mostly.​

1400 November 15th 1944

Several days of standstill and moderate bloodshed made the need of a reshuffle more important. Many divisions were put to rest and many joined the battle even from Rimini and Pescara.​

041-9-Perugia.jpg

Again new life had been injected to the battle, till that would deplete too, and so on. Despite several attempts at encircling local zones of the enemy and performing several breakthroughs, the following day such effects of this new injection seemed to have vanished already.​

1100 November 16th 1944
XIV. Panzerkorps, Cassino, Italy

"Harpe, begin the attack as soon as you arrive in Cassino." Ringel was to arrive much later than Harpe, and so he issued this order.

With the arrival of six more divisions in Cassino, General Harpe started fortwith to test the defenses of Anzio, the old Allied beachead that would now form, upon its Axis capture, a possible Roma-Perugia pocket.​

041-10-Anzio.jpg

Unfortunately for him the British still possessed some reserve troops in good shape; Harpe did not seem to have problems facing them however, and with Ringel soon coming those divisions shouldn't really put any real concern if not delay the whole encirclement a few days. Wünnenberg would not like it as he was taking the brunt of the whole operation, but he wasn't fighting in Russian winter afterall, so it was all quite sustainable.​

Operation Boot shiner
continued

0800 November 17th 1944

Once again, even more troops that were put the rest now joined the battle of Perugia.​

041-11-Perugia.jpg

The Allies would not forget this battle easily. They were to be commended for their fierce resistance against such heavy numbers and a mostly clear destiny: encirclement.​

1500 November 18th 1944
XIV. Panzerkorps, Cassino, Italy

British resistance in Anzio was a bit tougher than expected.​

041-12-Anzio.jpg

Ringel would arrive the next day however, and then there the British would really start to worry.​

041-13-AnzioMore.jpg

As soon as those troops arrived, they would join the battle en masse and Harpe was not confident with leading nineteen divisions.​

041-14-RingelAnzio.jpg

The arrival of Ringel made things much more easier; three divisions were also put to rest and British resistance was already beginning to falter a bit.​

1600 November 19th 1944

No reshuffle had happened during these days in Perugia and thus the British were slowly trying to gain the upper hand. This would change soon anyways.​

041-15-Perugia1.jpg

A careful analysis showed that the twenty British divisions fighting in Perugia were indeed taking their toll in their fierce resistance. While German troops' endurance might have been severely tested, casualties were fairly moderate on the German side; some of the British divisions, instead, suffered many more losses, especially those that were not even able to combat anymore.​

1600 November 19th 1944
5-va Armija, Cassino, Italy

The division that first entered the historic place of Cassino would now face a new mission.​

041-16-NaplesSupplies.jpg

Naples had no troops whatsoever and, most importantly, it was the main point of Allied supply shipping. Taking Naples back from the Allies, even if temporarily, would mean put the British in Perugia, Anzio, Rome and elsewhere without supply for a few days.​

it looks like you finally brought me out of my lurking and into the light.. good aar, i always like the 44 scenario.

They don't have to worry though, until he resolves the situation in the East, Allies are relatively safe. They'll lick their wounds and prepare for another offensive.

The boot shall shine till christmas.... :D
To help your eastern front - attack Turkey, get Iraq's oil, and turn to Baku? :)
After Italy is cleaned, you have the resources to do that? ;)

HKslan - Ribbentrop will get his share of sleep when there are no foreign ambassadors left to meet. '36 divisions are always a pleasure to see, provided that they are not on my side.

Deus - Thanks, I am suffering a moderate quantity of casualties too, but this is definitely worse for the Allies.

SeleucidRex - Thanks and welcome. The AAR world is a merry one :)

Winner - They don't have to worry till I can afford to build some floating ships, those with big, really big guns. I mean, really big.

Enewald - Germany has a non-aggression pact with Turkey, so we'll get Baku in the old fashioned way, just that the Soviets won't like it.

Update.

Operation Boot shiner

0700 November 21st 1944

Wünnenberg was as usual keeping the Allies busy in Perugia.​

042-1-Perugia.jpg

The battle of Anzio was also proceeding steadily, but things were far from over yet.​

042-2-Perugia.jpg

Dusk saw the usual slight deterioration of Axis positions in Perugia and also slight progress in Anzio. The trap was slowly growing closer.​

042-3-Perugia.jpg

The following day, November 22nd, was a strange reversal: the battle of Anzio had became a standstill, while Wünnenberg was slowly improving his position in Perugia.​

0800 November 23rd 1944
The skies above Perugia

Ringel seeked revenge; the air fight over Rome had been a stain for the Luftwaffe. While the Luftwaffe had several of his squadrons at full strenght despite the loss of a battle, it was still risky to face the Allies in the skies. Ringel, however, had several reasons for doing it, and wanted to start some preliminary actions before calling for the whole Luftwaffe support.​

042-4-PerugiaAir.jpg

First contact with the enemy was almost immediate. The Canadians, after only two hours of combat, left almost 250 bombers to the ground. The Luftwaffe had avenged its battle above Rome.​

0200 November 24th 1944
5-va Armija, Naples, Italy

The brave Bulgarian division that previously entered Cassino now finished performing another mission.​

042-5-Naples.jpg

Naples was once again under Axis control; most importantly, its supply depot was captured and the Allies left without supply. It also showed that the Allies had started reinforcing the Italian theatre with some divisions, but with their bulk army finally encircled in Perugia with the capture of Naples, they would be of little help now.​

042-6-NaplesAttack.jpg

British retaliation was immediate, but had little impact. Ringel had left some divisions in Pescara for some reasons he would now explain to the British.​

042-7-FoggiaAttack.jpg

19. Armee under General Fromm was ordered to attack the British in Foggia - two divisions against five was not really the kind of odds the British were used to.​

042-8-PerugiaNoSupply.jpg

The effects upon the capture of Naples was immediate: on November 24th, a few hours after the capture of Naples, the Allies in Perugia and Anzio were out of supply and started to pay the consequence; in Anzio, however, Ringel still struggled to breach the enemy lines despite the Allied difficult situation.​

1500 November 24th 1944
Naples, Italy

The Bulgarian division held firmly and repulsed the British attack, now under pressure by Fromm.​

042-9-NaplesWin.jpg

The Rome-Perugia-Anzio pocket was now a reality that could not be discussed. Till its extermination.​

042-10-Battles.jpg

In the afternoon, every battle was going the Axis way; Perugia was still far from being claimed an Axis victory, but Foggia was.​

Operation Boot shiner
continued

Thirteen hours after the capture of Naples were enough for the Allies to suffer badly in Perugia; thirteen hours were enough for Wünnenberg to hammer the British considerably.​

042-11-Perugia.jpg

In Foggia Axis intelligence reported there were two divisions, but the Germans was fighting against only one. Anzio was not progressing at all, and this was caused by a serious reason for which Luftwaffe wanted to mobilize the Luftwaffe again.​

042-12-Perugia.jpg

The British had been fighting uninterruptedly for 28 days in Perugia; many of Wünnenberg troops, instead, shuffled between rest and fight several times. If that was not sufficient, now the British were still fighting without supplies, and this was proving to be the decisive factor. Anzio, however, was still holding firmly, and Foggia too.​

042-13-Perugia.jpg

The trend continued with even more progress in Perugia, where German troops assaulted British positions. Anzio was a standstill, and Ringel was about to address that problem.​

1700 November 25th 1944
Foggia, Italy

The British had made a wise move: rare as a solar eclypse, but it was wise nevertheless.​

042-14-FoggiaWin.jpg

They decided to not deplete their troops' endurance in a battle they couldn't win: that of Foggia.​

042-15-OutRunTry.jpg

Fromm was immediately ordered to try and outrun the British by advancing in Taranto, the Apulian tip of Italy; in case he wouldn't succeed, the Bulgarian division in Naples too was ordered to move to Reggio Calabria, so that they would have little space to maneuver.​

0700 November 25th 1944

Two days without supplies and that firm, stoic resistance of the British was crumbling.​

042-16-Perugia.jpg

Lack of supplies was really hurting the British divisions; Wünnenberg troops, even if tired them too, were now making astounding progress after almost one month of standstill. At the end of this battle they would probably honor the brave British courage on fighting in such conditions.​

1800 November 25th 1944
LXXVI. Panzerkorps, Cassino, Italy

"... and I promise you, gentlemen, that this will be quickly over. Wünnenberg is closing the trap in Perugia; Naples has fallen; we are achieving air superiority. Keep on fighting and we shall inflict to the Allies a blow where they feel most secure." Ringel was speaking to some of his subordinates who were upset about the battle of Anzio.​

042-17-AnzioShore.jpg

It was probably another solar eclypse, as the Allied made their second wise move in the arc of time of a week: a huge chunk of the US fleet was hindering the German Panzers in Anzio.​

042-18-USNavy.jpg

Ringel knew about the presence of a large fleet in the Mediterranean, and also that the troops fighting in Anzio were hard pressed because of it; that was also because he wanted to taste the grounds - or better, the skies - with some Interceptor squadrons before deciding. Now that several interceptor squadrons had spotted one of the biggest fleets ever encountered, Grand Admiral Spruance had became no. 1 on Ringel's wishlist.

"I want each and every operative air squadron to bomb that fleet."​