• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
DvD-IT said:
Sorry for the short update this time, but I had to play it in a laptop. That wouldn't be the problem - I have constant backup of my savegames there - if not for the fact such laptop has that thingy called Windows Vista, which treats files like a Prussian Old Guard general. A hell of a management.

After I found the place that Vista hides the saved files, I put a link to that directory on my desktop for future use. I agree that Vista is a pain, especially when using mods that move files around.

I'm enjoying your AAR, keep it up!

Yes, maybe the AI is really being clever. I just realized the futility of the last sentence. :D

Well it is not nice to leave us with a cliffhanger, but what can we do? bug you with update requests. So UPDATE!!!

And Encircle and Destroy (EAD).

That's the last hope of the Reich.... but how will you manage to hold one million russians in a small pocket? :eek:

And, btw who was your Head of army? Oberkommando des Wehrmachts? or something like that... or was it Oberster Befelhhaber der Wehrmacht....? anyways, who is it? :p

Enewald said:
That's the last hope of the Reich.... but how will you manage to hold one million russians in a small pocket? :eek:
If it were me, I'd abandon the attack on Stryj and move everything in Presov around the sides of the pocket to keep the Russkies from reconnecting. Let them run wild over Hungary/Poland all they want- they'll be out of supply and they're already showing signs of ORG loss. They won't make it more than one or two provinces before they stop completely, and then the Germans can demolish them.

dublish - Let me add: a MUCH welcome development :) Whether I can win this chance or not it is unknown, but I have to try nonetheless.

TimEmm - Thanks. either way, it's still a headache to roam through folders just to move, every darn time, your new files to where they're supposed to be. I don't know why Microsoft is so paranoid about such shiny new features - security? User-friendly interface? - but it has surely driven many away from their new Vista's 'appeal'.

HKslan - Incorrect, but that's because the numbers are misleading. The number of divisions shown - 26 - is not the total number of divisions, but the number of them who's attacking. I have twenty-six divisions attacking Stryj from Zamosc, plus twenty divisions actually not fighting because too low on organization/strenght, and I'm using them to attack Lvov. So that's forty-six divisions in total.

Deus - Cliffhangers are not much welcome from readers I know, but that keeps the suspense high :)

Enewald - In fact I don't know if I can hold one million Soviets in one small pocket; Germans' biggest encirclement was eighty divisions (in Kiev, IIRC) but that was when the Wehrmacht was still the most powerful Army in the world, so it is really difficult to perform such an encirclement in late 1944. But that's a game and I'm doing things a little different from ol' Mustache Hitler :) Chief of Army is Julius Ringel; someone had to fill the vacant spot led by the, indeed oh-so brilliant military mastermind Adolf.

dublish - Wouldn't that put me at risk of Hungary switching sides? I don't know if I'd be able to contain their spread later on, nor I know if they would leave their defenses weak enough to let me encircle their whole ninety or so divisions. Well, to say the truth, I just cannot imagine what would happen if I let Rommel stop the attack :)

Update.

Eastern Gamble

1600 August 23rd 1944
Stryj, Poland

Rommel faced more and more troubles in keeping firm the attack on Stryj. As time went on, the Soviets were turning the odds in their favor and the attackers were soon becoming the attacked.​

029-1-Stryj.jpg

His only hope was in those twenty badly mauled divisions heading for Lvov. That was all his hope.​

2200 August 23rd 1944
17. Armee, Zamosc, Poland

Von Küchler was riding this gamble to the East and many were the obstacles that could possibly halt his progress, and that of Rommel, and perhaps that of Germany.​

029-2-Lvov.jpg

Five Soviet divisions now stood between him and Lvov. They weren't ordinary divisions, but some of the finest Armored divisions among the Soviet ranks.​

0200 August 24th 1944
Stryj. Poland

As von Küchler now faced five divisions blocking his path, Rommel now found that the Soviets had exactly five less divisions to defend Stryj with. Field Marshal Malinovskij attempted a delaying action as he was now facing this defense without some of the most powerful and equipped armored divisions he had at his disposal.​

029-3-Stryj94.jpg

The odds were once again very unclear for both sides.​

029-4-RommelEncircle.jpg

In all response to Malinovskij's delay, Rommel performed yet another brilliant encirclenent at the expense of his enemy; it was now clear to all that he was the uncontested master of the local encirclement doctrine.​

1100 AUgust 24th 1944
Stryj, Poland

Either the Soviets now feared a possible German victory in Stryj, or they did not want to defend Lvov, they called back two of their five divisions in Lvov to Stryj.​

029-5-Stryj96.jpg

Two more divisions made little difference to Rommel, as they had been battle-tested in the battle of Lvov, but it was of great help to von Küchler.​

1200 August 24th 1944
17. Armee, Zamosc, Poland

Twenty-two divisions now feared little to face three Armored divisions. They could've been as adamant as diamond in Stryj, but alone they could not stand a chance.​

029-6-Lvov.jpg

One hour later, they would suffer defeat.​

029-7-LvovOccupy.jpg

3. SS Panzerkorps would be the first to enter Lvov, and they would have to wait for the infantry to catch up.​

029-8-LvovAttacked.jpg

The Soviets greeted their arrival with only three divisions. Even if the Soviets weren't using their whole force to evict the new inhabitants of Lvov, three divisions were still enough to cause severe trouble to Rommel's plans to encircle Stryj. 3. SS Panzerkorps would have to wait till the very early hours of August 25th: that is, less than twelve hours.​

2000 August 24th 1944
Stryj, Poland

As the Soviet divisions were now undersupplied and with three less divisions in Stryj, the Soviets had made staggering progress to maintain the upper hand, and soon after their resistance was starting to falter.​

029-9-StryjProgress.jpg

Rommel was all of a sudden leading his divisions to an incredible progress in the battle.​

Amazing way of narrating the battles. Superb! Good luck with the fight!

I am 100% certain you win in Stryj. Rommel never loses.
there is no such thing as el-alamein, there is no such thing as el-alamein

Lord Finnish said:
I am 100% certain you win in Stryj. Rommel never loses.
there is no such thing as el-alamein, there is no such thing as el-alamein

The thing that never happened was the Italians fault anyways.

Good job! Keep pushing- you'll have Stryj encircled in no time.

Are they encircled already, or just out of supply? :confused: Either way, great progress. Good job. Also this has been bugging me for awhile, what's with that MOT '40 with the AT brigade? Seems kind of strange to me, what division is that?

If Rommel pulls off this encirclement it will be a great day in the annals of the Wehrmacht. Looking forward to the congrats and champagne flowing at his HQ.

KLorberau

Also this has been bugging me for awhile, what's with that MOT '40 with the AT brigade? Seems kind of strange to me, what division is that?

I'm sure it's a bulgarian division!!!

Kurt_Steiner - Thanks :)

Folgore80 - That will be answered soon :)

Enewald - The attack has started 0700 August 14th.

Lord Finnish, trekaddict - Where is El-Alamein! We do not care about such remote and insignificant places... we want Moscow! We'll just make sure we won't bring any Italian with us.

dublish - Thanks; we'll see how much time it takes.

HKslan, General_Hoth - No they are not encircled yet; it's just the AI being incompetent at setting sliders. After a bit of research that divisions should be a Romanian lent division.

KLorberau - Caviar and champagne - and vodka - only when we enter Moscow, comrades--er, kameraden!

BoemsiBoemsie - Thanks, yes it'd be great to see it pulled off. The AI is just too dumb sometimes.

Update.

Eastern Gamble

0000 August 25th 1944
Intelligence Dept., Berlin, Germany

030-1-ElectronicComputer.jpg

Research had been completed on Improved Electronic Computers. This would speed up research and would be useful in the long run.​

030-2-AdvEncDev.jpg

Heisenberg and his staff were now tasked to delve into the secrets of Advanced Encryption Devices.​

0100 August 25th 1944
Lvov, Poland

Rommel was holding his breath; he was going to either throw Germany into the abyss of destruction or lead her to a new year.​

030-3-ReinforcementsLvov.jpg

Fortunately for him, no risks had thwarted his work yet. Fifteen divisions now bolstered Lvov defences and the Soviets had to call off their attack.​

0500 August 25th 1944
Stryj, Poland

Rommel was hard pressed by a fear of failure. He had the responsibility of charging the attack of eighty divisions and performing one of the biggest encirclements ever made in the history of this war.​

030-4-Stryj.jpg

Nevertheless, the Soviets were starting to suffer the blows of more and more local encirclements performed by Rommel himself.​

0600 August 25th 1944
Lvov, Poland

The number of divisions in Lvov had grown to twenty, but an attack was ordered even before those had arrived; the three retreating Soviet divisions had now been evicted from Stanislavow.​

030-5-StanislavowEvicted.jpg

That was one step closer to the final encirclement; one step that made the whole line weaker.​

1400 August 25th 1944
Stryj, Poland

Rommel could not keep his nerves calm, but his was his problem. The Soviets, on the other hand, were once again suffering severe supply shortage and an ever growing sentiment of defeat. Only the night let them stall the German advance for awhile, although even then Rommel managed to ambush part of Soviet forces in Stryj.​

030-6-StryjProgress.jpg

German troops were starting to feel the following days would be much different from the previous ones.​

0000 August 26th 1944
Stanislawow, Poland

Once again had German troops reached the borders of Russia. But most importantly, Lt. General Grasser completed another step in Rommel's plans.​

030-7-StanisOccupied.jpg

He would now wait for reinforcements before taking further action.​

0400 August 26th 1944
The skies above Presov

What on Earth were those US bombers doing in Hungary, the Luftwaffe would never know.​

030-8-PresovAir.jpg

Not that they did care much afterall, so long as they served as excellent targets for Luftwaffe pilots.​

1200 August 26th 1944
Stryj, Poland

Almost one million Soviet soldiers would start to hate daylight. At midday of August 26th, shortly after the occupation of Stanislawow, further progress had been made by Rommel to cripple his opponent in Stryj.​

030-9-Stryj.jpg

Given the good news, Rommel authorized the last move that would possibly checkmate his opponent.​

030-10-BeltsyFree.jpg

Why the Soviets had left the territory of Beltsy vacant, it was unknown. It was hard to think that they could have laid a trap to the Germans when they had one hundred divisions fighting in Stryj: even if they were the Soviet Union, they had not millions of soldiers in the rearguards when one million was already involved in combat. Twelve divisions were tasked to occupy Beltsy: Rommel would not let this occasion fade away.​