• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Romanius said:
There's a delicious opprotunity to encircle 34 divisions in Prez....something. You have local superiority, it should be enough.
And if he manages to retake Stryj, his line will be quite a bit stronger.

Sheepguard - Shhh :) I am quite forced to fall back, but that is indeed a good thing for encircling. When I'll do that I don't know yet, as I don't want my flanks exposed to enemy attacks. But I have to.

Panzerkampf - That's a huge responsibility, I hope to fulfill my task thoroughfully :)

HKslan - Indeed I am close. The US have no strenght to pull a counterattack however, so oil shortage will just delay things a bit, and expose my units to more Allied bombardment, that is.

Karelian - Yep. They have Brest, Lorient, Cholet and Nantes. Lorient changes ownership twice.

Winner, Lord Finnish - I would do that, but I don't have the required money to arrange a trade agreement. Eastern front is as bad as ever, I hope I can hold the lines until Winter comes - still later than my divisions being redeployed from West to East, which I'll do as soon as possible of course.

Herbert West - Thanks :) We'll see lots of oil barrels.

Romanius, dublish - I could do that in Prezmysl or Stryj. I don't know if I would succeed anyways because battles take that long and your enemy has literally weeks of time to bolster his defenses. I will sooner or later try an attack in the hope to delay the Soviet breakthrough; I don't think huge encirclements are possible, but we'll see.

Deus - This update should cover your question :)

Update.

Bloody Revenge

1700 August 4th 1944
5. Panzerarmee, Angers, France

Heissmeyer, after the success of Orléans and Argentan, was chosen by Hausser to spearhead the subsequent attack against US divisions in Angers. The battle was surprisingly short compared to the others.​

021-1-AngersWin.jpg

In the early hours of August 5th, US divisions retreated and their commander ate the dust once again. 331. Infanterie-Division, a motorizen division led by Mj. General Hitzfeld, would be the first to enter Angers and would try to overrun his adversaries retreating in Lorient. His arrival was scheduled for 0800 August 5th, provided that the few barrels of oil would not hamper his speed.​

021-2-Overruntry.jpg

The Americans had faster units. They arrived before Hitzfeld at 2200.​

0600 August 6th 1944
15. Armee, Avranches, France

Hausser was growing impatient and ordered Gen. Blaskowitz to start reducing the newly formed pocket in Caen. Although attacking Caen would mean let the enemies retreat in a better defensible place - Cherbourg - Hausser was confident that the divisions in Cherbourg were too battle-weared to put a fight and he opted for the Oil and Supply depots of Caen that were now in range of German divisions.​

021-3-CaenAttack.jpg

The Battle for Caen had started at 0600 August 6th with the Americans being outnumbered 2:1, not counting the fact that their divisions were understrenght.​

2100 August 6th 1944
LXV Korps, Kosice, Slovakia

The Soviets were particularly busy this time of the year.​

021-4-Kosice.jpg

The three divisions would retreat, but the Soviets would not occupy the vacant province.​

1600 August 7th 1944
15. Armee Headquarters, Avranches, France

American troops could hold two or three battles so fiercely like they did with devastating losses on their part. The following ones would lead to a swift victory for the Wehrmacht, as Caen fell just one day after the battle had started. Blaskowitz and his troops would now have the honor to avenge Cherbourg, not before a day of rest however.​

021-5-CaenWin.jpg

The attack on Cherbourg was scheduled for 0700 of the following day.​

1600 August 7th 1944
The skies above Aachen

With operations in the Western front coming to an end and not needing a strong airforce patrolling the skies, Göring was now more worried playing golf than checking his reports everytime. This report handed to him was a little different, though.​

021-6-AachenSovietsAir.jpg

The Soviets were now in range of westmost Germany and perhaps even the Low Countries.​

0600 August 8th 1944
Heeresgruppe A, Caen, France

General Feldt had arrived in Caen and captured the so much needed Oil depot. Bormann would receive a detailed report on the new, refilled stockpiles only at midnight.

"General Hausser, we have disturbing news here" General Feldt was in contact with General Hausser.

"Have you got any problems? Didn't you repel the Americans in Caen?"

"We did occupy Caen and we're waiting for our infantry to catch up. However, the Allies are attacking us. But that's not the problem. Our troops have certified that there are eight divisions attacking from Cherbourg - that means those nine divisions retreating from Caen have been embarked by either the US Navy or the British Royal Navy and probably put to safety somewhere in the British Isles."

"That's outrageous! We've just allowed a second Dunkerque in front of our own eyes!"

"That's it, herr General. But we can always capture those eight divisions in Cherbourg, if we make it in time."

"So it will be. Feldt, tell Blaskowitz that their soldiers are going to have some running contest today."​

021-7-CaenDivisionsEmbarked.jpg

The attack would cease as soon as German divisions arrived in Caen. Later on, twenty-two German divisions would immediately counter-attack against the worn-out eight American divisions in a race against time, had the USN decided to embark them to safety too.​

Indeed 8 are more than nothing but still...you might regret the choice of attacking Caen before Cherbourg when those divisions land somewhere else in France. But it was a choice between capturing oil or capturing divisions and seeing you need the oil, it was the right choice you made.

The closure of the west front will bring valuable divisions available for the east front...I hope you can turn the tide there. Maybe you should be thinking of kicking the British out of Italy which might give you the oppertunity to capture another supply depot.

SgtPepper20 said:
Indeed 8 are more than nothing but still...you might regret the choice of attacking Caen before Cherbourg when those divisions land somewhere else in France. But it was a choice between capturing oil or capturing divisions and seeing you need the oil, it was the right choice you made.

The closure of the west front will bring valuable divisions available for the east front...I hope you can turn the tide there. Maybe you should be thinking of kicking the British out of Italy which might give you the oppertunity to capture another supply depot.
If he'd attacked Cherbourg first, those divisions would have retreated to the waiting ships instead. The only way he could have bagged the whole army was by waiting until the transports left.

He'll get more supply depots as he captures the rest of US-occupied France.

Yeah but I don't think the other supply depots in US occupied France are as large as the first one in Caen...in Italy the supply depots had the chance to become a bit larger so I think that will bag him some much needed oil.

Oh and about those divisions, wouldn't that only happen when those divisions were already embarking on those transports. If this wasn't the case those division would have retreated to Caen right? Anyway he made the right choice attacking Caen first.

Hmm, now divert troops sothwards as the attack against the Cherbourg pocket ends. FLusht them out and you are free to operate on the eastern front.

I am however worried that the Oil supplies won't las long that might be your downfall. Germany has been conquered before by blockade. I'd imagine that to be the strategy this time too. :)

But otherwise a good an solid update. Keep em coming :)

HKslan - Better 8 Allied divisions in the UK than 8 Allied divisions in France, if you couldn't destroy them, that's for sure.

SgtPepper20, dublish - Time will tell if I've made the right decisions or not :) Whatever the case, I just have to hurry before the Soviets knock at the Reichstag doors and my divisions in France really need to be transferred as soon as possible.

Deus - Thanks, I hope to keep the current update-per-day pace :) Oil supplies will be dealt with both with depot captures and with trades. As soon as Ribbentrop gets enough funding, he'll start trading for some money too. Your suggestion of moving troops South should be partly answered by the following update :)

Update here it is.

Bloody Revenge

1000 August 8th 1944
LXXXIV. Armeekorps Headquarters, Tours, France

While German troops were already attacking the eight encircled divisions in Cherbourg, Hausser ordered to reduce another pocket that consisted of nine Allied divisions.​

022-1-CholetEncirclement.jpg

Eighteen divisions were tasked to evict five Allied divisions from the province that guaranteed sea transport of supplies to them. General Friessner would finally get his share of fun in decimating American divisions.​

022-2-CholetAttack.jpg

The capture of the supply depot of Caen did leave Allied troops without supply for a day, however. The Americans found themselves, two months into their so-called Operation Overlord, outgunned and outmatched while eighty percent of the Wehrmacht was battling against the Soviets.​

0400 August 10th 1944
XIV. Panzerkorps, Florence, Italy

General Ringel had never thought he would have had problems in the Italian front.​

022-3-Florence.jpg

He found himself now in a bit of trouble. The British had slowly reinforced the Italian theatre with thirty-two divisions in total against his twenty-four. General Harpe would be the first to experiment the renewed Allied superiority by sustaining the attack of twenty-four British divisions against his nine. Troop movement from Rimini would however end the struggle soon.​

1100 August 10th 1944
Foreign Ministry, Berlin, Germany

Von Ribbentrop greeted the Swedish ambassador. After five years of war, he had finally encountered someone whose stance towards Germany was neutral.​

022-4-SwedeTrade.jpg

The deal the Swedish ambassador proposed was a small aid for Germany. It would change almost nothing to Germany's daily oil consumption, but it was not kind to decline such a deal.​

1200 August 10th 1944
Heeresgruppe Mitte, Bielsk, Poland

The marshes of Bielsk were not enough to face massive Soviet numbers.​

022-5-Bielsk.jpg

Guderian would retreat south and then enter Zamosc. Troops from Heeresgruppe Nord would be needed to fill the gap.​

1300 August 10th 1944
Abs. Dänemark, Cherbourg, France

After two days of battle, the tired Allies had been pushed back to the sea and the beaches of France were once again full of Allied blood. Mj. General Thunert had the honour of being the first to enter Cherbourg; what was left of the eight American divisions surrendered to the Wehrmacht.​

022-6-CherbourgWin.jpg

Someone had to explain the American High Command that Germany was far from being beaten still.​

1000 August 11th 1944
LXXXIV. Armeekorps, Tours, France

Oil shortage did not worry Hausser; after the successful destruction of the Cherbourg pocket, the Americans had few understrenght divisions and nowhere to flee, if not to the ocean.​

022-7-Cholet.jpg

The wind was now blowing on a direction opposite to the Allied side, and they could only testify that.​

0600 August 12th 1944
VII. Armeekorps, Warsaw, Poland

A motorized detatchment from Heeresgruppe Nord was now led by Field Marshal Rommel and was sent South to reclaim Warsaw first, and to help Heeresgruppe Mitte thereafter. Von Manstein and Von Rundstedt had agreed that they could no longer gift lands to the Soviets and that a new plan had to be set in motion.​

022-8-Warsaw.jpg

It was time to turn the tide for Heeresgruppe Mitte.​

One last push in France and you should be able to turn your attention to Italy. Good luck holding the center against the Soviets!

Ausgezeichnet! :D
Yankees who still are in west should learn to swim quickly, bury their own graves or just surrender. :rofl:
Poor Heeresgruppe Mitte... they have never harmed anyone and now those mean bolschewiks try to destroy them! O tempora, o more! :eek:

Btw, how is the "finnish front" doing, in case it still exists? :(

dublish - Center front against Russia is a little nightmare. This update covers it thoroughfully for a 'little' new event.

Enewald - We'll get them before they can swim through the whole Atlantic Ocean :) The Finnish front will be covered the update after this one.

Deus - As above, a report on partisan level and subsequent TC load will be part of next update.

Connavar - Thanks, the Yankees are being pushed into the Atlantic already. The Brits I fear their vacation in Sicily and Rome will last for some more months to come, and the Ruskies are so eager to book a place in the Reichstag. Something I will try to not make it happen :)

Update.

Bloody Revenge

1200 August 12th 1944
LXXXIV. Armeekorps Headquarters, Tours, France

The Allies had ships near Cholet, and this could be felt by the attacking German divisions who were under Allied shore bombardment. Nevertheless, the five defending divisions were slowly losing the battle.​

023-1-Cholet.jpg

Nothing could come to Allied help.​

1300 August 12th 1944
15. Armee Headquarters, Avranches, France

Blaskowitz lost the race with the American divisions, but that didn't worry him too much as they were running out of space.​

023-2-Rennes.jpg

Instead of overrunning them, Blaskowitz would fill them with bullets and blood.​

0630 August 14th 1944
III. Panzerkorps Headquarters, Zamosc, Poland

Von Rundstedt, after a meeting with von Manstein, met Field Marshal Model in his headquarters of the III. Panzerkorps.

"You know the plan. We can no longer trade space for time, and time has come to show them who's in command. Field Marshal Model, I hope you can do your best as you did in defending Stryj; now it's your turn again to take that piece of land back."

"As taking Stryj back means shortening our lines even further and making our position stronger, I will of course try my best to ensure victory."

"Not only that, but by attacking Stryj you'll leave some pressure from the other two Heeresgruppen. I have reports of more and more divisions amassing in the North, and we cannot risk another breakthrough like the one in Stryj. Remember Field Marshal, this time it's not a delay attack. It's a serious attack we need to win."

"This I will try to do. I only have one question: since this is the first serious offensive operation we start after Operation Citadel, will we be granted air support this time?"

"This is something I was going to tell to you soon. You need to hold out for some days pressing the Soviets in pure land combat. We know that Hausser is emerging victorious in his French campaign, and that his airforce is rarely needed now in that theatre, but we haven't been given authorization to move such airforce back to the Eastern theatre again yet. Ringel promised me he would soon do, however."

"That's good to know, then." the two knew whatever they needed now and there was little else to talk about. An attack against the weakest Soviet point and the most pivotal German point of defense had to be carried out.​

0700 August 14th 1944

At 0700 one hundred thirty-four German, Hungarian and Romanian divisions assaulted Soviet positions in Stryj consisting of thirty-six divisions.​

023-3-Stryj.jpg

Many of Model troops had rested enough, although many of them were still quite understrenght, especially the Hungarian ones, which would be withdrawn a few hours after the battle started.​

023-4-Stryj2.jpg

Soviet answer was immediate, and many of the surrounding divisions came to help the Soviet positions in Stryj. Three hours into the battle, three more Soviet divisions arrived; two hours later, another three; meanwhile, a German breakthrough had disrupted some of the Soviets' organization, but by the early hours of the following day their number grew to sixty total divisions.​

2200 August 14th 1944
II. Fallschirmjäger Korps Headquarters, Cholet, France

Six days of combat brought the last truly fit-for-combat American divisions in France to the knees of their German counterparts.​

023-5-CholetWin.jpg

The II. Fallschirmjäger Korps would be the first to enter Cholet and complete the creation of another pocket.​

023-6-OilCholet.jpg

Speer would be happy to know that Cholet contained quite a lot of useful material useful to German aims. The Americans liked to waste their supplie, or thought their troops would hold on forever.​

0300 August 15th 1944
1. Armee, Orléans, France

Four divisions were trapped in Le Mans after the capture of Cholet, and five more retreating divisions would soon join them. General Burgdorf attacked even before dawn arose, giving the four divisions - and soon the five entering Le Mans - no respite.​

023-7-AllOutAttacksWest.jpg

Nine more divisions would start to count their last seconds of freedom.​

0600 August 15th 1944
15. Armee Headquarters, Rennes, France

Rennes fell to German hands again.​

023-8-RennesWin.jpg

The defending troops would retreat to Brest and gaze at the Atlantic Ocean for one last time in their life.​

0700 August 15th 1944

Morning brought new hope for the attacking forces in Stryj; an ambush attempted by Model did not change much in terms of odds, however. It would become another battle of attrition, and Model was confident that he could win such battle, provided that the Soviets wouldn't even out the odds with even more divisions.​

023-9-Stryj.jpg

The only thing that could swing things in the Axis' way was the presence of Fighters and CAS swarming uninterruptedly over the skies of Stryj. This, however, Model could only dream for the moment.​

1100 August 15th 1944
15. Armee Headquarters, Rennes, France

The two retreating divisions from Rennes had a hard time trying to defend something in their current state.​

023-10-Djeppe.jpg

"Something" was Brest in this case, but that made little difference.​

Originally posted by DvD-IT:
Thanks, the Yankees are being pushed into the Atlantic already. The Brits I fear their vacation in Sicily and Rome will last for some more months to come, and the Ruskies are so eager to book a place in the Reichstag. Something I will try to not make it happen :)

Why not go for the Reichchancellory? I doubt there'll be room for them all though. :p

Seriously, you're doing a good job with this AAR.

How are the rest of your divisions doing in the Stryj attack? It looks like you have more than a third of your force over the command limit, so some of your units might be running low on ORG pretty soon.