• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
~ Retaliation ~

April 1949

After nearly four months of marching with sporadic clashes, Axis forces approached Istanbul from the eastern side of the country.​

164-q01-Istanbul.jpg~original

The remaining Turkish forces, defending the last remnants of a country whose only fault was believing in neutrality, put up their last fight in the city, holding for a few days before surrendering. Axis forces suffered light casualties throughout the whole campaign; the final battle didn't escape the rule.​

164-s01-01-Faro.jpg~original

Allied forces attempted to force a landing in Faro, Portugal; nearby experienced German divisions rushed to the defence, helping repel the attack that would falter in a couple days, marking yet another disaster for the Allied planners.​

164-u01-01-Bristol.jpg~original

On April 4, German forces attacked Bristol from Dover and Birmingham, hoping to cut the southern British forces from mainland; six or more British divisions in Portsmouth didn't intervene at all, thus speeding up their grim fate at the hands of the twenty and counting German divisions that, despite heavy bombing, pushed on and captured the city after three days of fighting. Four thousand losses were considered a fair price to pay for the pocketing of several British divisions which faced impending doom.

Allied air supremacy and British land forces stubbornness, despite their strategical mistakes, were taking their toll on the dwindling German numbers and their deteriorating organization. Shipping more divisions and supplies got harder by the day, with the Royal Navy patrolling the coasts more frequently. The odds weren't totally stacked against the invading forces, however, as the defenders couldn't put up a solid defence and were now running the risk of losing several precious divisions in the south.​

164-u02-01-LondonEncircled.jpg~original

With Bristol occupied, two important facts arised: one, London was now completely encircled by German forces; two, around fifteen British divisions had almost no way to escape. Three divisions guarded London and would either survive or die there; twelve other divisions could only hope that the Royal Navy save them by shipping them to secure places.​

164-u03-01-LondonAttack-1.jpg~original

On April 15, the attack on London began. Three British divisions, ill-equipped to defend against any serious attack, were all that the United Kingdom could muster to defend its capital.​

164-u04-01-LondonVictory.jpg~original

In a rather anti-climatic outcome, three days of fighting and something more than three thousand casualties was all that took the Germans to force the defenders to surrender and occupy London.​

164-u05-01-LondonOccupied.jpg~original

On April 20, the city of London was by all means subdued and occupied by German forces.​

164-u06-01-Sheffield.jpg~original

Meanwhile, one single British division bore the weight of the German attack in Sheffield, rapidly surrendering to the advancing forces.​

164-u07-Bristol.jpg~original

A week after the loss of Bristol, the trapped British forces finally retaliated against their captors; their powerful equiment was not enough to dislodge an enemy almost twice their number, even with Allied air support helping them.​

164-u08-Portsmouth.jpg~original

On April 23, fearing that the British would save their divisions, Portsmouth was attacked; six well-equipped British divisions were determined not to yield a single inch without making the attackers pay for it.​

164-u09-PortsmouthVictory.jpg~original

They kept their promise, as on the dawn of the fifth day, the British defenders finally retreated, not without inflicing severe casualties on the vastly numerous German forces.​

164-u10-Plymouth.jpg~original

The remnants of the British army defending the southern portions of the island took shelter in Plymouth, with a few divisions fleeing the country by naval means. Twenty well-rested German divisions attacked the pocket, consisting of nine battered divisions with nothing to lose but their freedom.​

164-t01-Tech.jpg~original

Another breakthrough in strategical bombing was achieved, a path Germany would continue to pursue, probably preparing for very long-term plans.​

You are still using 43 infantry but it is 49? Wasn't there some latter upgrades to infantry in the game, or is it too long and my mind is forgetting stuff? :p
Imagine if the yanks had been clever enough to use those divisions to help British isles! :eek:

It's been a year or so since I played HoI, but I think that post '43 infantry start to use oil. I'm also curious as to how his IC is currently being used... Repairs? Are the allies still bombing? Can we grab a pic next update of your resource/mp status?

Love it!!

It's been a year or so since I played HoI, but I think that post '43 infantry start to use oil. I'm also curious as to how his IC is currently being used... Repairs? Are the allies still bombing? Can we grab a pic next update of your resource/mp status?

Love it!!

From two pages (one year) ago :D

160-07-Production.jpg

I know it has passed so many months but i just complete to your AAR and it's awesome. I just wonder it you annexed USA?
You are the king of this game RESPECT

Last edited:
I finished reading this AAR just recently. I enjoyed it so much that it actually made me log in to my Paradox account again.

That said, it has been inactive for a while now. I wonder if there's any hope it will be resumed. I would really like to see how this playthrough will end.

Everytime I see some new post here I feel some faint sting in my body. The regret of letting down whatever few readers are left, the promises of keeping this thing going made and seldom respected, the feeling of having something hanging that needs to be finished. I am amazed there's still people going through these old threads, reading memories of times long gone. Makes me feel sorry for neglecting this over and over again.

This baby soon turns 8, by the way. It's been more real life days than in-game days.

I still possess the savegame and everything, so I could continue this, although at a very casual rate. Problem is that after all this time and dwindling interest in classic HoI/AoD I don't think there's much of a reader-base to entertain (if I ever did) in the first place. Also, as you might've inferred, after the defeat of SU it's been a downhill thing, and so I'd been trying to make it artificially harder. If that's still good enough a thing to keep going, I'll keep going.

I still possess the savegame and everything, so I could continue this, although at a very casual rate. Problem is that after all this time and dwindling interest in classic HoI/AoD I don't think there's much of a reader-base to entertain (if I ever did) in the first place. Also, as you might've inferred, after the defeat of SU it's been a downhill thing, and so I'd been trying to make it artificially harder. If that's still good enough a thing to keep going, I'll keep going.

I can't speak for anyone else, but at least for me, it would be good enough. When it comes to this sort of genre, I don't think the age of the game is particularly relevant. Since all the games in the HoI series share the same premise (i.e. WW2), I don't think this AAR is any less relevant or interesting based on the game you are using. After all, even if you used a newer game, the basic appeal of this AAR would still be the same — reading how Germany tries to reverse its fortunes and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Furthermore, I wouldn't agree with the notion that this AAR went downhill after the defeat of SU. In fact, I think it became more interesting once the cleaning up of the SU was done and Germany became forced to contend with far bigger threats, especially after many of the major German cities got nuked. I for one am certainly curious to what will happen once the UK is eliminated and the Kriegsmarine starts playing a greater role in the war. =)

That said, ultimately, the only thing that really matters is your own personal interest in continuing this AAR. If you're not interested in pursuing this any further, then attempting to continue it would be futile. After all, the quality of the AAR would surely suffer as a result.

Regardless of what decision you end up making, however, I would still like to thank you for doing this AAR. It has certainly been very entertaining. =)

Is this the oldest AAR In the history of AARland? It sems crazy that this has been going on for 8 years
Rennslaer still needs to finish his Eu3 AAR, and Chief Ragusa has not finished yet with Eu2 Born to the Purple.
Also certain HoI2 AARs seem to be going on, more or less at some kind of speed that begun during the last decade.

Meanwhile, I still wait for this AAR to finish. ;)

Reactions:
I am glad to see this reaction. Yes, I will continue it, but not before I wrap up my Master's last exams, which I should complete somewhen before Summer.

Then, once I officially become unemployed, I can look after this AAR child of mine again.

I just found this AAR this past week and I've been reading it furiously, totally enthralled. It is creative, funny, and absolutely thrilling! It even inspired me to dust off my old copy of AoD and play a few campaigns.
I second Tom Phoenix's comments: please continue this AAR if you truly desire to, knowing you will have a rapt audience.
And regardless, you have written an excellent AAR that will entertain forever! Complimenti!
PS In bocca al lupo!

I don't know what hurts more, reading "East vs West" under DvD-IT's name when I was first linked to this AAR a week ago or this line when I finished it.
It's been more real life days than in-game days.
An unique and exciting AAR full of gambles keeping you on the edge of your seat, just like the real world war. Also, helped me learn Darkest Hour much more than the manual. Thank you.