• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Introduction.

Revan86

Prodigal Knight
34 Badges
May 16, 2006
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
dasbiestimosten_textbanner.png

a.k.a.
The Beast in the East
Anecdotes from the Jacobite Principality of Upper Saxony
A Crusader Kings III Prologue with the Royal Court DLC
by Revan 86

Introduction.
Okay, I know what you're thinking. Revan, you can't be serious about starting yet another CK3 AAR while you're still smack dab in the middle of The Lions of Olomouc! Don't you remember what happened to We Hold the Pass?

Well, I have good news and bad news in that case.

The bad news is, I am quite serious about starting this one. I managed to pull off several things in gameplay that I didn't think were possible, and I wanted to keep going and share those here. I also really wanted to try out the custom religion functions and use the artifact, character-interaction and court functionalities that simply weren't available on my Moravia playthrough. So yes, I'm rather committed to this one.

The good news is, it's going to be largely in the 'history-book' style. No intricate, ridiculously prolix and convoluted novel attempts in this one. There will, of course, still be narrative, because all good history does tell a story. But I'm planning on keeping this one within the ten to fifteen chapter range. Short and sweet. It is, after all, a prologue to an EU4 game.

Parametres of Gameplay.
SCENARIO: 1066, Standard game start.
STARTING TITLE: County of Wolkenstein.
DYNASTY: Danzig*.
STARTING CHARACTER: Jakob von Danzig (generous, calm, patient, astute intellectual, quick). The gormless-looking dork shown below.
DIFFICULTY: Normal.
IRONMAN: On.
ACHIEVEMENTS: On.

2022_07_26_6.png

Goals.
- Establish the (kingdom-tier) Principality of Upper Saxony.
- Acquire a realm size of at least 30.
- Retain and spread the Saxon culture.
- Establish a custom religion within Christendom.
- Retain and spread that custom religion.

I'm going to be keeping track of my chapters, illustrations, maps and so on in a table of contents to follow.

* Yes, that's a direct callback to The Day of the Doves, my old CK2 AAR. I even gave my house the family motto: 'Only a Fool Fights in a Burning House'.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Table of Rulers
Table 1. Rulers of Meißen and Upper Saxony from 1100
Including names, dates of birth and death, highest titles held, consorts and issue

Jakob von Danzig
(ca. 1070-1115)
b. ca. 1050, d. 1115(Frei)herr von Wolkenstein;
Markgraf von Meißen
Mislava of Pinsk19 children, including Älberto
Älberto von Danzig
(1115-1130)
b. ca. 1070, d. 1130Markgraf von MeißenOda die Vixe’ Renart5 children, including Otwin
Otwin von Danzig
(1130-1168)
b. 1102, d. 1168Markgraf von Meißen,
Fürst von Obersachsen
Johanna von Zähringen6 children, including Wilbrand I.
Wilbrand I. von Danzig
(1168-1187)
b. 1125, d. 1187Fürst von ObersachsenCothilda6 children, including Jonathe
Jonathe Narrenfürst’ von Danzig
(1187-1221)
b. 1149, d. 1221Fürst von ObersachsenSarrazine de Blois8 children, including Wilbrand II.
Wilbrand II. von Danzig
(1221-1274)
b. 1196, d. 1274Fürst von ObersachsenElisabeth Argyll7 children, including Jakob
Jakob von Danzig
(1274-1285)
b. 1223, d. 1285Fürst von ObersachsenMaria von Rurikowitsch4 children, including Josef I.
Josef I. von Danzig
(1285-1329)
b. 1260, d. 1329Fürst von ObersachsenAlexandra Karianites8 children, including Josef II.
Josef II. von Danzig
(1329-1371)
b. 1301, d. 1371Fürst von Obersachsen(1) Melisènda de Grasse
(2) Adelinde Otakaren
9 children with Melisènda[1], including Diuro
Diuro von Danzig
(1371-1405)
b. 1330, d. 1405Fürst von Obersachsen(1) Adela
(2) Maria
8 children, including Onsgar
Onsgar von Danzig
(1405-1415)
b. 1347, d. 1415Fürst von Obersachsen(1) Richardis von Braunau
(2) Beatrice Cétchathach-Berkhamsted
8 children, including Francés
Francésder Kopflose’ von Danzig
(1415-1434)
b. 1375, d. 1434Fürst von ObersachsenVida Alelkaitis5 children, including Reinmar
Reinmar von Danzig
(1434-1464)
b. 1402, d. 1464Kurfürst von SachsenEdith de Turberville6 children, including Mathias Francés

[1] ‘Izz ad-Dîn ibn ‘Imûnah al-Anwarî, a young Maltese Arab who was appointed Markgraf of Nordmark after the 1357 rebellion and subsequent exile of Folcmar II. Premysl, was the rumoured bastard son of Josef II. However, the al-Anwarî family themselves maintain that ‘Izz ad-Dîn was fathered by the Almoravid prince Âklî ibn Yuwâ.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Let's see how this goes.

Will this be a mega campaign? You mentioned that it was the prelude to an EU4 AAR?

Cheers, @Ghol, @KanadeSomeone and @HistoryDude! Glad to have all of you on board!

To answer your question, HD: yes, this will be a megacampaign with at least CK3 and EU4 components. I'm hoping for a CK3 -> EU4 -> Vic3 megacampaign. We'll see how and if that works out.

Map: Growth of Upper Saxony, 1070-1158
growthofuppersaxony_map.png

• 2Like
Reactions:
Kapitel 1. The Eastern March of the Saxons
kapitel1.png

(919 – 1089)
Contained herein is a brief treatment of the medieval Fürstentum Obersachsen—that is to say in English, the Principality of Upper Saxony: the immediate predecessor to the Electorate of Saxony. Within the Holy Roman Empire, this principality was always something of an outlier, particularly when compared with principalities like Lothringen (the so-called Mittelreich), Tirol, Baden, Bayern, Kärnten and Tecklenburg. In order to understand why an integral Land within the Holy Roman Empire tied its fortunes to a coalition of eastern Baltic states beginning in the XV century, thus indelibly reshaping European history thereafter, we must first examine the roots of this Upper Saxon polity.

~~~​

1200px-Marchia_Wschodnia_ok._1000.svg.png
Upper Saxony has its roots in the X century Margraviates of Merseburg and particularly Meißen, which had been established by the Emperors of the Ottonian dynasty of the Holy Roman Empire as part of the Saxon Eastern March. These, in turn, were carved out of the realm of Gero, who inherited it from his father Dietmar—who had been awarded with the newly-conquered Sorbian lands by Heinrich the Fowler. Somewhat roughly, this march covered a broad swathe of the hilly uplands between the right bank of the Elbe and the left bank of the Bober as it ran northward into the Oder.

After the death without issue of Gero, these lands were divided among various high members of the Saxon nobility. One part of the patrimony—the Margraviate of Merseburg—fell into the hands of a clan of Thuringian nobles, belonging to the Ekkeharding stem. The descendants of Günther and his son Ekkehard I of Meißen, Ekkehard and his family had been steadfast supporters of the young Emperor Otto III in his power struggle against Heinrich of Bayern, and took over in Otto’s name the defence of the eastern borders of the Empire in the wake of a Slavic uprising headed by the Lutician tribe.

2022_08_02_328a.png
One legend, recounted in the XIII-century Middle Saxon verse epic Swartvlögel unde Witvlögel [preserved in High German as Schwarzflügel und Weißflügel] has it that a certain bold, hathel Sorbian warrior named Vratislav was captured by the Saxons during precisely this Lutician Rising. He was forced to become a jongleur performing for Markgraf Ekkehard I’s amusement, and was given the epithet of Dansâri as a result. Later this epithet was passed on as a surname to his Germanised descendants who came to rule Meißen and later the whole of Upper Saxony, who themselves turned it into a locative (Danzig, ‘of Gdańsk’) in order to distance themselves from this servile humiliation of their forebear[1]. Whether or not this rather fanciful Late Antique legend is true, it does indeed illustrate one tendency of the Saxon ruling caste of the Eastern March: coopting and in some cases assimilating local Slavic warlords, whether by suasion or by force.

Upon the death of Ekkehard II of Meißen, the male line of the Ekkehardings went extinct, and the rule over the Margraviate of Meißen passed into the hands of the Weimar-Orlamünde stem: specifically, into the hands of Markgraf Otto von Weimar. For a long time, Otto von Weimar had no male issue—his wife, Adela de Louvain, gave him only three daughters to start with: Oda, Kunigunde and Adelheidis. This lack of a son grew troublesome for the Markgraf, and even as early as 1065, Markgraf Dedo of the Ostmark had already been manœuvring to step in and attain for himself the Margraviate of Meißen.

He might have done this successfully, too… if Adela hadn’t given birth to a son and heir for her husband, in 1075[2]. Wigerich von Weimar succeeded to the Margraviate of Meißen with the death of his father Otto, which happened the following year.

2022_07_26_124a.png
2022_07_26_162a.png
2022_07_26_163a.png
Wigerich’s reign over Meißen was brief. The baron (Freiherr) of Wolkenstein and steward of Meißen, Jakob von Danzig, made a successful appeal to the Pope that it was irresponsible to place the responsibility for such a key bastion on the edges of Christendom, in the hands of an infant… and the Holy Father of the Church agreed with him, and gave Jakob blessing to act as regent for the infant Wigerich until he came to majority.

However, as often happens during such regencies, Jakob, the supposed descendant of the fabled Vladislav Dansâri, split the Weimar-Orlamünde patrimony neatly down the middle. He left Wigerich von Weimar in control of Orlamünde, and took the Margraviate of Meißen for himself. This happened in May of 1079. There was little that either the Pope in Rome, or the reigning Emperor Heinrich IV in Aachen, could do to redress this usurpation. By the time the news of it reached them, it was already a fait accompli.

~~~​

2022_07_26_70a.png
While he was still only a Freiherr, Jakob von Danzig married Mislava—a Dregovichian woman of one of the Slavic tribes comprising Turovian Rus’ [White Rus’], who hailed from an area near what is now Pinsk. Note that it was not uncommon for men in the Ostmark or in Meißen to take Slavic wives. Even though the Saxons were very careful never to relinquish the reins of power in the lands under their sway, it was still common for Sorbs and Saxons to rub shoulders together… and occasionally more intimate parts. The fragmentary documents from this time refer to the usher of the court at Meißen by a Slavic name (‘Matziej’), and in addition there is a complaint from the local bishop (who also had a Slavic name, ‘Mscigniew’) of how common it was for Sorbian boys to fraternise with Saxon girls, leading them into fornication and robbing them of their virginity.

As for Mislava: to illustrate her character and how it was perceived locally, one may quote the German historian Adam of Bremen, who likewise lived in the Margraviate of Meißen before his ecclesiastical transfer to Hamburg, and who was personally acquainted with both Jakob von Danzig and Mislava:

‘Sclavorum in Misnensi per mulierem eminentur exprimuntur: uxorem Iacobi Gedanensis. Haec matrona propter apstinentiæ et longanimatatem honorata est, sed tamen interdum garrulem ingenium exhibet rudibus vicinam. Bona femina, infaustum est quod Photii errorem sequitur[3].

We may thus assume that Mislava was a woman devoted to the Byzantine Liturgy, and that she retained her devotion to Christ in the ‘Greek troth’ after she married. To Jakob, therefore, the East-West Schism was not only a great scandal upon the Body of Christ, but also a constant presence in his home life—a subject we shall return to in later chapters.

2022_07_27_124a.png
Another noteworthy thing about Jakob’s marriage to Mislava is how prolific it was. Jakob von Danzig and Mislava’s marriage was both affectionate and abundant—even by the standards of the time. The two of them had nineteen children together, whose names are all preserved in the Schwarzflügel und Weißflügel: Alof, Älberto [Adalbert], Bisina, Christina, Þunar [Donar], Eilika [Helga], Folmar [Folkmar], Gertrud, Hengest, Isidor, Jakob[4], Katharina, Liudulf, Meginhild [Matilda], Noþþa, Osgeri [Ansgar], Prämislawa[5], Quonradus [Konrad] and Radigundis [Radegund][6]. If this leporine propagation of children were not convincing enough of their intimacy, the fragments of several letters between the two also contain such downright ribaldry as this:

Hit freiþ mik, þet hlast þîna rîpa twêtala grenatappeln te dragan.’ (J to M)
  [‘It makes me happy to carry the burden of your ripe pair of pomegranates.’]
Blîþi bin ik, þat þî forþastar ast sprýtt êmêro kraftful und bald fora mik.’ (M to J)
  [‘Lucky am I, that your foremost branch always sprouts vigorous and bold for me.’]
Hwanne ik kêriu tehrug’, bin ik te þînan gard willikumo? Ik smako gerno þîna ferska lodika!’ (J to M)
  [‘When I return, am I welcome in your garden? I love to taste your fresh wild lettuce!’]
Hit havd giregant þârundar, þat te-lesan. Alsô þu nieht þâgegin hat, þat þê fûht ist: jâ, kum, et!’ (M to J)
  [‘Reading that, it rained down there. If you have nothing against it being wet: yes, come, eat!’]

In addition, the fragments of the letters between the two attest touchingly to their shared interest in riddles, as well as to Mislava’s careful motherly attention in smartening up their son Älberto for potential future brides, and keeping Jakob’s estates and vassalage agreements in order. Although Jakob occasionally complained, in rather mild terms, about Mislava’s spendthrift habits, he never saw fit to remove from her any part of her responsibilities in the household. Though she was an East Slav and he a Saxon, their marriage seems to have been blessedly free of any serious conflict.

2022_07_26_83a.png
2022_07_27_139a.png
2022_07_27_104a.png
Despite fathering nine sons with Mislava, there was never any doubt in Jakob’s mind that his heir would be Älberto. It was also clear that he could play dynastic politics with the best of Saxon and Franconian nobility. The single most fateful and politically-astute act that Jakob made during his career was not his swift usurpation of the Margraviate of Meißen from the Weimar line. It was to promise his heir Älberto in marriage to a certain Oda, the daughter of Graf Otgar von Reynhard. This Oda would quickly come to be known as ‘die Vixe’, or ‘the Vixen’: cunning, tenacious, hard-nosed, more than a tad unscrupulous. Jakob von Danzig must have recognised in her, even when she was only a child, a woman of keen sense and ruthless ambition who would make a valued and formidable ally… as indeed she proved to be.

Älberto was himself of quite a different temperament. He is described in Swartvlögel unde Witvlögel as a consummate Christian: ‘B’wigid fram luva for Christus wâri Älberto: Fora þe armer unde widuwen unde waisan wâri înna hand êmêro opan: Uvildâdarn gegin în hêld hî êmêro þe ôþara wanga hin: Unde þe list dir hôran orrêkian în niht.[7]

To such a marriage of unlike people was the fortune of Meißen entrusted—and it was indeed, unlike that of Älberto’s parents, a troubled marriage. Without both Älberto’s and Oda’s talents, however, it is unlikely that the Upper Saxon principality would have knit together as soon or as smoothly as it ultimately did.

[1] It is particularly intriguing to note that Swartvlögel unde Witvlögel was commissioned by Fürst Ionathe von Danzig, who was given the epithet of ‘Narrenfürst’ by his enemies. The tracing of the Danziger line to a similarly noble ancestor who was similarly degraded to the status of a court jester by an overbearing lord is more than likely meant to sympathetically reflect the tribulations of the king who commissioned the history.
[2] In another version of history, Otto von Weimar died in 1067, without male issue. The Margraviate of Meißen did indeed fall into the hands of Dedo I and his descendants… the Wettin family.
[3] ‘The Slavs in Meißen are notably represented by a woman, the wife of Jacob of Danzig. This lady was honoured for her self-control and long-suffering, though she exhibited a chatty temperament which sometimes bordered on rudeness. A good woman, it is unfortunate that she follows the error of Photius.’ Gesta Hammaburgensis Ecclesiae Pontificum, addendum 12.1.
[4] Usually referred to by his pet-name of Kopiki or Köpke.
[5] The name of this seventeenth daughter has led some scholars to question whether or not Jakob’s wife’s name was actually also Premyslava, of which the form which survives is perhaps a pet-name.
[6] It is uncertain what led Jakob and Mislava to name all of their children in alphabetical order.
[7] ‘Moved by love of Christ was Älberto. For the poor, the widow and the orphan was his hand always open. To those who did evil against him he turned always the other cheek. And the wiles of loose women touched him not.’

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Oh, the Wettins won't rule Saxony here? Interesting...

It seems as if Upper Saxony might expand east...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Kapitel 2. Soldiers of Cottbus, Soldiers of Christ
kapitel2.png

(1089-1115)​

Of the nine sons of Jakob von Danzig and Mislava of Pinsk, three rose to positions of prominence. Upon Älberto was bequeathed the Markgrafschaft of Meißen. Upon Quonradus, the Freiherrschaft of the Vogtland. And Osgeri rose through the ranks of the Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon, to become the second Grandmaster of the military-monastic order. However, insofar as Jakob had a ‘favourite’ among his sons, it was most likely the monastic Liudulf, who alone among the sons of Jakob leaned to his mother’s native faith.

2022_07_27_189.png
2022_07_28_3.png
2022_07_28_17.png
The fates of Älberto and Osgeri are ironic given their respective temperaments. By all accounts, Älberto was the perfect soldier of Christ: magnanimous, generous, not given to carnal desires. On the other hand, certain hostile reports of Osgeri describe his caprice and his vindictiveness against any who slighted him: perhaps he would have been better suited to running a manor than to following the Cross. Yet there can be no mistake in it: Grandmaster Innocent of the Knights Templar personally took Osgeri under his wing, and mentored the boy to succeed him in leading the Poor Fellow-Soldiers. Quonradus, it seems, fell somewhere between these two temperaments. In similar terms to Älberto, he is described as throwing open the doors of his feasts to the poor, the hungry and the widows upon Yuletide and Eastertide, and also as being slow to anger. Yet he, like his brother Osgeri, was also slow to forgive slights against his person.

2022_07_27_182.png
It may be assumed based on the documents that survive, that Jakob von Danzig and his wife had a high respect for each other’s intellects, as well as clearly enjoying each other’s company in the usual conjugal manner. It is evident that the two of them discussed theology together. Even in early correspondence with the princes of the Western Church, Jakob took an active interest in the question of the Great Schism, and spent considerable energy upon defending the Papal position in his discussions with his wife.

2022_07_26_172.png
2022_07_27_190.png
Jakob von Danzig was a steadfast champion of the Western Church and its cause throughout his youth. We know from primary church sources that Jakob himself authored a highly diplomatic—one might even say obsequious—letter to Pope Alexander II in 1072, pleading for his prayers and intercessions on behalf of his wife’s conversion. We also know that he undertook a pilgrimage to the Vatican in his wife’s name in September of 1079. And of his male children, the only ones who weren’t consecrated in some way to a monastic or a military order in their youth were his eldest son and heir Älberto, his favoured son Liudulf (for a
2022_07_27_195.png
2022_07_27_207.png
time), and his youngest son Quonradus. Folmar, Hengest and Isidor were all committed to the care of the Benedictines as novices within five months of each other in 1088—over the objections, it seems, of their mother. Þunar and Osgeri both joined the Knights Templar during the preparations for the First Crusade to retake Jerusalem from the Saracens in 1095, as well as a ledger entry of his personal financial support to the war effort. In addition, we have in Jakob’s hand: a charter to build a great Cathedral in Gera, witnessed by Fürstbischof Adalhard of Naumberg in 1095; and a record of the Saxon lord’s pilgrimage to Canterbury as late as 1098.

2022_07_27_131.png
2022_07_27_146.png
However, Jakob von Danzig’s disputes with Latin bishops and with the Pope began in earnest in 1090. They were minor at first: diplomatic faux pas and poor translation quality into Latin very nearly caused a breakdown in relations with the Fürstbischof Sigismund of Naumburg. There was also a minor border dispute on the northwestern march between Meißen and the bishopric of Magdeburg—however, even within the context of Church-state relations after Heinrich IV, this was broadly considered to be a secular matter, without theological ramifications.

2022_07_27_166.png
2022_07_28_15.png
But the disputes intensified. There was an open dissension between Jakob and the Church over a particular book authored by one Slavic author named Wentzel; Jakob maintained his absolute right as lord of Meißen to keep the book, even though his diocesan bishop Eberhard recommended that it be turned over to the Magisterium for examination for possible heresy. Bishop Eberhard also frowned upon Jakob’s careful observations of the stars, believing it to be akin to sorcery. Eventually Jakob grew fed up with Eberhard and had him evicted from his see, over the objections of the Papal legate.

2022_07_28_25.png
This incident, which occurred in April of 1102, seemed to have been the final straw in Jakob von Danzig’s relationship with the Western Church. It was only after this that Jakob Freiherr von Danzig decided to embrace the Byzantine spiritual heritage, when both Jakob and Mislava were well past their prime and settling into old age. He sent for a replacement bishop—not to Rome or to the Papal legate, but instead (following the precedent of Boris-Michael, Tsar of Bulgaria) to Constantinople.

The see of the Ecumenical Patriarchate sent a half-German, half-Greek priest named Witikind to serve as Jakob von Danzig’s bishop, and to receive his confession of faith—sans the filioque. This action, though we may assume that it endeared Jakob further to his Belorussian Orthodox wife, estranged him at once from most of his sons, including his heir Älberto and the increasingly-influential Templar Osgeri. But there can be no mistaking the result. The following language comes from an 1110 charter witnessed by (the Roman Catholic) Fürstbischof Sigismund of Naumberg, in which Jakob explicitly instructs his sons to, upon his death, bury him ‘mid mînaro frûa Mislawa atsamna in sê grund ênaro kirikans, þat þan grêkisken ritus folgod’.

2022_07_29_108a.png
This led to a rather awkward situation, particularly given the Holy Roman Empire’s pretensions to bear the historical lineage over-against the still-existing Eastern Roman Empire. The Roman Catholic dukes of Meißen, Jakob’s and Mislava’s descendants, were honour-bound by filial duty not only to sponsor churches of the ‘schismatic’ Greek Rite, but also to explicitly protect their freedom of worship. This was emphatically not to the liking of the Catholic clergy, who consistently exhorted the Danziger men to honour their spiritual Father in Rome over the demands of an earthly father who had been beguiled into error by his unbelieving wife. But such admonitions were to little avail: in Wolkenstein and Reichenbach as well as in southeastern Sorbian towns of Dresden and Görlitz, and later in the duchies of Anhalt and Nordheim, the ‘grêkiska triuwi’ was well-established among the commoners as a result of Jakob’s, as we would say these days, ‘swimming the Bosporus’.

~~~​

2022_07_27_171.png
It should not be lost from view that the successor to Heinrich IV’s seat, as head of the Holy Roman Empire, was his daughter, Ermessinde. Now, Jakob, having an astute historical as well as theological mind, understood quite well that Ermessinde’s claim to the Roman throne in the West was every bit as tenable as (and no more than) Empress Irēnē’s in the East had been… and he exploited this tidbit of Western hypocrisy to the full, in order to protect his own position.

2022_07_28_22.png
2022_07_29_5.png
2022_07_29_3.png
That said, it could hardly be maintained of Jakob von Danzig that he was anything less than a loyal vassal to the Empress, despite his religious inclination to the East. Markgraf Jakob personally fielded troops in her defence, against the rebelling Bohemian prince Otto. One incident of this rebellion is worth mentioning here. During his campaign, Otto raided Wolkenstein and came into possession of Wentzel’s book. Jakob, incensed, took to his horse and cut Otto off, throwing down his gauntlet and challenging the Bohemian giant to personal combat over the book. During the duel, Jakob famously shouted at Otto: ‘Niwâr ên nâr kempt in ênana brennaþa hûs!’ This became the Danzig family motto.

2022_07_29_38.png
Wentzel’s book remained in the von Danzig family patrimony and was attested as extant in 1150, so it must be assumed that (somehow) Jakob bested the lord of Bohemia. However, despite this setback, Otto was victorious in his rebellion. Ermessinde Salian was forced from the throne… and Otto took Charlemagne’s throne for himself, becoming known to history as Otto IV ‘der Hübsche’. The political centre of the Holy Roman Empire drifted, for a time, from Aachen to Prague—before drifting back to Aachen in the later Middle Ages.

Jakob von Danzig had learned the Bohemian language some time previously, and used his fluency in that tongue to help smooth things over between himself and the new Emperor. For his part, too, Otto IV seemed content to let bygones be bygones—enough so, indeed, to appoint the Saxon lord of Meißen as his Kanzler. (It is said that Jakob learned several languages in addition to his native Saxon tongue. Of course he picked up Old East Slavic from his wife. However, he was also said to be versant not only in Bohemian but also in Old High German, ‘Wendish’ i.e. Sorbian, Insular Saxon, Church Slavonic and vernacular Old South Slavic.)

2022_07_29_81.png
2022_07_29_82.png
He continued to have a good relationship with his powerful daughter-in-law, Oda the Vixen, who took over the Duchy of Lausitz from her father. And he also managed to forge—no doubt on account of his linguistics skills—an alliance with the Markgraf of Krain, Hermann von Zähringen, by betrothing his grandson Otwin to Hermann’s granddaughter, Johanna—who occasionally appears in local documents by a Slavic name, Ivana.

~~~​

2022_07_29_90.png
However, not all of the vassals around Meißen were as willing as Emperor Otto IV to be at peace with Markgraf Jakob. There was an incident with the bishop of Magdeburg, a choleric and duplicitous Gael named Canannán, over an obscure matter—perhaps a political dispute or possibly (but less likely) a theological one. Whatever the instigation, for some reason one of Jakob and Mislava’s daughters, Noþþa, ended up in the power of the bishop. The bishop handed Noþþa von Danzig over to the secular authorities on charges of witchcraft and heresy, and had her burned at the stake. This was not long after Mislava herself had passed away of natural causes.

2022_07_29_66.png
The grieving father’s response was understandable, but also unforgiving. He made war upon Canannán, disregarding his clerical status, and famously refused to be satisfied with lands or gold or anything short of the cruel Scotsman’s hide. His men lay siege to Dessau with the clear intent of laying hands upon the bishop. When they were frustrated in their pursuit, the bishop having fled, they began putting the garrison to the sword. One hundred thirty men of Dessau perished in that bloodletting, after the town had surrendered.

But the elderly Jakob von Danzig had to be content to take Dessau from Canannán’s grasp. He no longer had his Mislava by him, the loss of Noþþa had weighed deeply upon his soul, and his eldest son lay incarcerated among the Poles. Jakob’s sole consolation came from his close friendship with his monastic son, Liudulf. Even Liudulf managed to disappoint him, though, as it turned out the monk had fathered a bastard with a local Wendish herbalist named Aldona.

When Jakob von Danzig breathed his last, he bequeathed his margraviate to a son who was, at the time of his death, languishing in a foreign donjon, and one of his lesser titles to his youngest son Quonradus. The problems with the Church would be smoothed over by these sons—at least temporarily.

2022_07_29_103.png

Last edited:
It appears as if there is some religious tension.

Let's hope that the West and the East can get over their differences. A civil war, especially one tearing apart a family, would be terrible.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It appears as if there is some religious tension.

Let's hope that the West and the East can get over their differences. A civil war, especially one tearing apart a family, would be terrible.

Ahh, you are anticipating me! Well, that's fair--I did say up front that I was going in that direction.

• 1Like
Reactions: