• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Introduction

Ixarys

Second Lieutenant
20 Badges
Apr 2, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Dārys iksis ribazmoqitta, zaldrīzoti issi limagon
The king is mad, dragons are mourning

Table of contents

Prologue : The Wall and Beyond
Prologue : The North
Prologue : The Riverlands
Prologue : The Vale
Prologue : The Iron Islands
Prologue : The Westerlands
Prologue :The Reach
Prologue :The Stormlands
Prologue : Dorne
Prologue : The Steptsones
Prologue :The Summer Islands & Northern Valyria
Prologue : Rest of the World, Crownlands & Kings
Chapter 1 (October 8401- February 8402) : The Cursed King
Chapter 2 (February 8402- June 8402) : "The King shits, and the Hand wipes"
Chapter 3 (June 8402-October 8402) : For high treason, your sentence is...
Chapter 4 : (October 8402- June 8403) : To the bitter end
Chapter 5 (June 8403 - May 8404) : One king after another
Chapter 6 (May 8404 - October 8406 ) : "Bend the knee, petty king"
Chapter 7 (October 8406 - February 8409) : War without end
[URL='https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/d%C4%81rys-iksis-ribazmoqitta-zaldr%C4%ABzoti-issi-limagon-agot-aar.1103805/page-4#post-24473320']Chapter 8 (February 8409 - March 8410 ) : Kingdom prevails [/URL]

Table of contents also in the upper and bottom right of each post : "Index".

Also possible to navigate to each post with "<<" and ">>".

Introduction
Greetings !
Welcome to my first AAR, in AGOT mod a century after the beginning of my game. I didn't planned to do an AAR on it, but the game turned pretty fun, so, hey, let's do it !
Keep in mind that :
- I'm not a native english speaker, so my sentences may be... Odd some times. Tell me if it happens, I'm eager to improve myself
- As I said, I didn't planned to make an AAR, so you may find something weird as I had some fun with the console. But nothing that couldn't be explain in-game
- As I'm french, I start the game in it. I'll change the language for the AAR, but the transition to english didn't go without damages, especially to counties name, as far as I see. Sorry about that
- I love mod my game, so the mod use in this will not be 100% the same as you can download on the forum
- I believe that story is more important than do a no cheat game, so I'll sometimes use the console to make events happen. For the sake of transparency, I'll put a "*" each time I use the console, and in the bottom what I used and why. In general way, this colour will be used when I'm speaking as a player
- Don't expect any regularity for my posts, even if I'll try my best. As most of you know, an AAR take a really high amount of time
- I'm using CK2 2.8.1.1 on normal difficulty

Last edited:
Welcome to AAR writing. I hope you have a good time doing so.

Good luck!

Prologue : The Wall and Beyond
Prologue
Year 1401. Nearly a century since Targaryen came back from Essos, Aegon VI the Fair and Daenerys Stormborn with their three dragons, the Golden Compagny, thousands of unsullieds, Dothrakis and ex-slaves.
Each part of Westeros endured his own part of instability and changes, and it's hard to understand to which point old traditions where thrown in only a century without split our attention to each region.

The Wall and Beyond

Now with splendids french counties's names
At the beginning of 8300, this region of the world suffers greatly from the Others.
The Wildlings quickly crumbled in front of the White Walkers, and the Night's Watch didn't do better. After the fall of the Wall, Jon Snow make guerrillas actions to slow down the invaders, hoping for reinforcements from the North.
Alas for him, tear apart by the Boltons-Stannis war, it was an easy prey. North Clans area and Karhold were rapidly taken, though Skagos amazingly manages to put off the Others from their island.
Once Targaryen's dragons crushed the White Walkers, everything came back to normal in the region : wildlings reinstall their quarters beyond the Wall, meanwhile Night's Watch restart their watch once more as Others get back to their frozen wastelands.

But the Wildlings apparently rapidly find themselves too cosy, as only 30 years after the invasion, a new King Beyond the Wall was elected : Yoren "Hornblower" Shieldbreaker.
In fact, since Mance Rayder, 8 kings tried to conquer the Wall. With the notable exception of Yoren, all of them only found an horrible death, either by the Night's Watch hand, or by their fellows Wildlings in battle or assassination.

The Wall saw many surprising members too. After the death of Jon Snow, it was nobody else than Stannis Baratheon that became the new leader of the Wall.
Many old watchmen, who survive the war with the Others found this very ironical to see him exiled with them as Stannis's first visit on the Wall was for convince Jon Snow to join him in the war versus the Bolton, which (?) he failed.
The truth is that the the king Aelyx "the Dragon", son of Aegon and Daenerys, after emprison Stannis for treason, was tired to see him revive one execution after another, and so decide to send him to the Wall, where his stamina would be put in use.
But soon after his election as Lord Commander, despite his ruthless and authoritarian personality, Stannis proved to be an excellent commander and an important symbol for the watchmen. With Ligthbringer in one hand, Oathkeeper in the other one, leading his troops versus warlike wildlings year after year, despite wounds, mutilations, diseases and old age.
At the age of his death, 110 years, Stannis was still killing wildlings in duel, before finally die in his bed with a pneumonia he had since 20 years, maimed, infirm, one-eyed and driven mad by his resurrections.
Lord Loras Leygood, an minor lord of the Reach in exile, was way less fancy than Stannis, to the relief of the wildlings, even if he was a great leader too.
But his successor took with him the very first dragon of the Night's Watch.

Ben "The Elegant" Oakheart was once the Lord Paramount of the Reach. Sadly, his ambition lead him to enfurious the king Aegon VII "The Knight".
Since the betrayal of the Tyrell soon after Aegon VI coming to power, the Oakheart is the new leading dynasty of the Reach.
Ben was the third Oakheart as Lord Paramount of the Reach, and thanks to his mother being sister of the king, he was grandson of Aegon VI and high valyrian ethnicity, that allowed him to tame Viserion, though he's a reachman by culture, making him called by "pure" valyrians of ethnic and culture a "Lost One".
As a war would lead to a new dance of dragons, the king trapped Ben and judge him on a plot, that was enough to send him up to the Wall.
Obviously, Darkfyre was a huge advantage to fight the numerous wildlings who were trying to invade the Wall, but soon after Ben's death by old age, his successor Hallis Poole had to face more troubles.

On five provinces, only Castle Black, Eastwatch and New Gift are still ruled by commanders in the traditional way, as at some point, Stannis Baratheon choose to grant the Shadow Tower to a noble family : the Pearley, and transformed Bran-Don to a city-state.
This soon caused troubles as the city-state started a civil war, quickly joined by Castle Black's and New Gift's commanders (Stannis relocalisated Night's Watch's capital to Eastwatch at this time), leaving only the Pearleys with the Lord Commandant.
The Wildlings jumped on this occasion and invaded, then install themselves in Castle Black as Night's Watch members were killing each others, before being repulse a few years latter after the brutal execution of the Pate Seaworth, Lord Master of Bran-Don by Hallis Poole.
The Lord Commandant Hallis choose next to reinstall Castle Black as the headquarters of the Night's Watch before judge and execute the traitors who joined the rebels.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reception, always appreciate ! :)
I'm, hum... Realizing that the prologue gonna take a loooong time, as nearly every character worths a story, but I think it's important to install the atmosphere for the AAR, to create an alternative yet credible universe for it.
Anyway, hope you enjoy it, and that my writing isn't too harsh.

Last edited:
It does sound the Watch have had an exciting century or so. Stannis as Lord-Commander is quite a nice turn of events though.

Good acount of the Night's Watch. I couldn't help but chuckle when the king decided to send Stannis to the Watch rather than keep executing him after each resurrection.

The Night's Watch managed to get a Stannis and a dragon rider yet still fell into disarray because of politics. Yay.

Prologue : The North
The North

The Stark's flag no longer flutter in Winterfell. It's no longer flutter anywhere.
The Stark's doom may be one of the saddest stories of known world. It's a blending of misfortune, fratricidal wars and fatality.

The tragedy started in late 8300, at the death of Ramsay Bolton from an head wound.
It happened at the worse moment for the old Roose Bolton, in war with Stannis Baratheon; who was roaming the land with his army.
Worse : with Ramsay's death, he hadn't any heir. Despite the war devastating the North, he manages to get pregnant his wife Walda Frey, twice.
Alas for him, the two daughters he had were both stillborns, and by 8306, the House Bolton no longer existed.
The throne of the North came directly to the Iron Throne, and his king, Aegon VI.
This made Stannis foe of the kingdom. And he didn't step back, even with the perspective of facing 3 dragons and 50 thousands soldiers, with only his army on its last legs.
Rapidly after beating Stannis's army, Aegon gave the title of Lord Paramount to the most legitimate noble at this time : Arya Stark.

The trickery would only be discovered at the time of her death.
The lover, wife of Ramsay Bolton and cleverly displayed as Arya Stark by Roose Bolton to legitimate his own position would ruled for 25 years, gave birth to two Stark daughters and sent to exile Eddard's surviving children as they came back to Winterfell.
Sansa would never see her, as she died in childbirth of Petyr Baelish's daughter, and Brandon and Rickon would find safety respectively in the Vale and in Riverlands before being called back by the king Aelyx.

After Jeyne "the Black" Poole died, the throne came to Brandon the Broken, as Jeyne living children were only daughters.
In the meantime, Baelish dynasty didn't went so well, and Rickon Stark, lord of Harrenhal thanks to his friendship with the king Aelyx became the Lord Paramount of the Trident.
But Brandon had an other plan.
A few years later, he declares war upon Rickon for the Riverlands and soon, the two brothers's armies clashed near the Twins.
Riverlands prevailed, and Rickon, known as a mercyless ruler, let Brandon go in the name of brotherhood. But it wasn't enough for the Broken.
The 8340, Rickon was found in his bed, soaking in his blood by several stabbing wounds. The backer of this murder was a woman courtier of Rickon, but it was rapidly found that Brandon was behind.
Infuriate by the death of his friend, Aelyx gave the woman to his dragon Sonax, Viserion's son, and sent him take Brandon to King's Landing.
There, he was judged and sent to the Wall, where he would die 25 years later, broken, ill, depressed and alone.
As Jeyne's daughters were married in a conventional way and Brandon hadn't any children, Stark's survival only relied on the last son of Rickon.

Who would be wiped out by a disease five years later.
The true Arya Stark would be never found.
Today, Stark’s tragedy is used by parents to show the weight of brotherhood and where betrayal can lead.

After the death of Brandon, Aelyx decided to give the throne of the North to one of his brothers, Maerys.
Although not a warmonger like his parents, Maerys proved himself as a good, kind and just ruler for 24 years with the Northmen, even if he didn't manage to get a single children.
His northmen vassals responded to his kindness by stab him in the back.
Once again, Winterfell came back to the Iron Throne.
The news of his brother's assassination triggered one more time Aelyx's wrath, and soon him and his dragon Sonax were seen rampaging to region, arresting themselves lords whith evidences of their participation to the murder.
As the purge was going on, a new generation of northmen nobles came to power, and during a few years, Aelyx kept the throne to himself, as everyone of his sons were too young for a such dangerous place. But after six years, North vassals were more and more complaining.

Despite his apprehension, he gave Winterfell to 21 years old daughter Daenerys, as well as the valyrian sword Blackfyre and let her go.

Under Daenerys's lead, Targaryen's hold on the North only strenghten, despite some suspuscious deaths like Daenrys's second son Aeryn, the northern Targayen are still extending their influence in the North under the lead of Matarys.
But since the brutal death of the king Maekar "the Dragontamer", who was loved by everyone, the relations between Matarys and Maekar's son Orys are way more strained, as Orys is notoriously crazy and possessed.
Will the North march once again to the south ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, Stannis was a true piece of choice in my game, his life as pretender of the throne, leader in the war in the North, between the Others and the Bolton and as Lord Paramount of Stormlands truly deserved a story for him alone.
And as a player, I was really annoyed to see him come back each time, but eh, the Wall was a good deal.

Last edited:
Not an unlikely outcome for the Starks when starting in the FFC bookmark, however it was a different, and somewhat surprising, way, specially that Bran survived for that long.

Did the Karstarks transform into Starks when the main line died out?

No. There are a few Karstarks still living (actually only 5 of them left, as they were butchered by Others), and thanks to inheritance from Rickon last son death, the Karstarks get Harrenhal lordship.
The actual head of dynasty is this little boy of 14 years old, and he's actually the last Karstarks's male living. So we can safely say that he's their last hope, as every others Karstarks ladies are in conventional marriage, including his older sister of 19 years old (his two brothers are twins from the next marriage, Caswell dynasty).

A sad end to the Starks. My the North has been through a lot.

Prologue : The Riverlands
The Riverlands

As a central and thriving region, the Trident had always seen a fierce power's struggle of differents factions of Westeros for his control and internals conflicts of ambitious vassals for the Lord Paramount title.

At the time of Aegon and Daenerys's invasion, it was Petyr Baelish who ruled the kingdom, married to Sansa Stark.
His enlightened rule took a darker side when his wife died in childbirth at 23 years o for his daughter in 8309.
Depressed by her death and infirm by a bad wound, he soon started to act as a tyrant, before finally died from his depression 6 years later, facing a vassal rebellion.

His 6 years old daughter Anya, would ruled until her 18 years before being found dead in her bed in 8327, seriously ill. This last turn of fate put a final point to the ambition of the Baelish family.
At this point, Aelyx Targaryen had to found a new ruler.
As the last living Tully, Alys Tully, daughter of Edmure Tully was in a regular marriage with a Valeman noble, he decided to give the title to his friend Rickon Stark, who was already high lord of Harrenhal.
Then happened the Two Brothers War, but before Rickon's murder, Alys Tully came back to Riverlands, as her husband died from Greyscale. With partisans.

With Rivermen's support, she get back the kingdom to the Tully dynasty and Rickon withdraw once more to Harrenhal.
But her Rivermen vassals were expecting a weak and easy to manipulate queen, and were deeply disappointed. After an unsuccessful defensive war versus the Vale, soon war broke off and after her defeat, her 15 years old daughter appeared on the screen.

Remember when I was talking about the console ? Look at the children
Lyessa Tully was a kind and malleable woman, perfect for her ambitious and power hungry vassals. But the fact that she catched Aelyx's eye suddenly made a lot harder to Rivermen to make her do what they wanted.
Aelyx had many women in his life, but if he really loved one of them, it's for sure Lyessa. He loved her to the point of accepting a matrilineal marriage to let her dynasty survive, even if it was not really important for Aelyx as he had already multiples wives.
And the Tully survived, with 23 children from Lyessa and Aelyx.

Today, it's her son Osmund who is ruling the kingdom, but as he only had daughters with his half-sister Targaryen wife, his heir is one of his Targaryens half-brothers Aegor the "Open-Handed".

The Tully are anxiously waiting the death of Osmund, and the Frey are waiting in the shadows.
Shift of power led the Twins in the hands of Tully's family while Riverrun became new Freys's headquarters, but the Freys are still looking to get back their former territory, although Lacey's heir is a Rosby.

Very ... fecund

Prologue : The Vale
The Vale

The Vale is notorious for his isolationist policy, and the Arryn's Lords Paramount never mingle themselves in any rebellions of any kind against the Iron Throne, even if they sometimes stay utterly neutral in time of needs for the throne.
This do not mean they're not warriors : their rivalry with the Riverlands for Petyr Baelish's territories amongst the years is famous, and it's only since an handful of years that they finally get back their last former counties.
In the east front, they regularly face Braavos slavers that raid the Vale's coasts, and it gets worst since Ironborns get a partial control of the merchant republic.
But the fact they are exemplary vassals doesn't mean too that Lords Paramount from this region are boring ones, although they were more quiets than most others Iron Throne's vassals.

When Aegon saw for the first time Vale's Lord Paramount, he discovered a small, weak and in every way a pathetic character.
All in all, the one who would be ironically be called the "Amazing" would have an unremarkable reign until his death by a combination of disease and weak constitution in 8325.

As Robert didn't had any children, his heir was his nephew Harrold. Called the "Laughing Falcon" by his vassals, he was a great commander, an intrepid duelist and a womanizer : on 10 (recognized)children, half of them were bastards.
But despite his talents, the wars against the Riverlands took his due : maimed one time, Rickon Stark finally killed him in duel during a battle in 8333.

It was his legitimaze bastard Harmune who take the throne after him.
Honorable and trusty vassal, his homosexuality made small council meeting somewhat odd, as it seemed to be attracted by Aelyx, the king of the Iron Throne. Maybe it explains why he was a so loyal vassal.
Harmune had to face the first Braavosi's invasion for the Vale during an Iron Throne civil war, but thankfully, the Valemen prevailed.

Because of his homosexuality, Harmune did not work that hard to have an heir, so when he finally died in 8375, his half-brother Guston took the lead at 54 years old.
Guston may was the ahardest Arryn lords to control for the Targaryens's kings.
As an ambitious yet careful lord, Guston was constantly playing on the edge of loyalty to the throne, always trying to increase his own power and reluctant to help the king when asked.
Luckily for the Targaryens, Guston only ruled for 4 years before die from old age in 8379.

Since 30 years, it's his son that is ruling the Vale. In the traditional Arryn way, he proved himself as a loyal and quiet vassal, plus his marriage with one of Aelyx's daughters made him an ally to the Targaryen in time of civil war.
With the upcoming crowning of the new king of the Seven Kingdoms, tensions are rising, but as usual, the Vale is wainting before taking a side, despite his alliance.

Last edited:
So the Arryns retain the Vale. Well, it is good to see at least one of the great families retain something.

A mess of factions and families feuding over nothing, that's what Crusader Kings is all about.

Whoa, lots of things happening. I feel for my heroes the Starks. :(