• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
ASAP: As soon as possible

Also the tactic of committed expansion. It's probably more relevant to EU than CK, though.

Well, in CK2, if you blob, you better be well prepared when the heir takes over. If not.... though it can be funny fighting fires.

My understanding was that gamey signifies some action or mechanic that breaks the player's immersion by being distinctly unrealistic. As in, "it's gamey because it couldn't be done in real life, only in a game".

This was my understanding as well. At least, that's the way I've always used the term. A gamey tactic is perfectly legitimate by the game mechanics, but breaks the game fiction - for example, being able to matrilineally marry the heir to the Byzantine Empire just because he's not in the imperial court, or suicide-by-Caliphate-assassins.

I mostly see them in their siggy (signature). I'm not sure if it's to be taken literally or not as I have seen quite a few AAR writers sporting that same message in their signatures.

It's a reference to the AAR writer canonized, most famous for the extremely long-running Timelines. If I recall correctly, he wrote a series of interviews with other AAR writers (whether as part of Timelines or as part of his job as editor of the AARlander I can't remember) and those who'd been interviewed were referred to as being "canonized."

MP - multiplayer
MPC - multiplayer campaign
OOS - out of sync, no longer in sync, monster plaguing MPCs, usually means players need to save, restart, reload and rejoin the session.

Good work with updating the list, OP. Just some corrections I think you should make.

1. Misspelled "casus belli".

2. "TBD" actually stands for "to be determined". It can be used to refer to not only time (e.g. a game's release date), but also other quantifiable, non-quantifiable, or boolean data.

For illustrative purposes (and hence not actually reflecting reality) -
i. When will PI release the next DLC? That's TBD.
ii. What's the next DLC? That's TBD.
iii. How much will the next DLC cost? That's TBD.
iv. Will PI be releasing a new DLC at all? That's TBD.

3. "Mod" also refers to Moderator. This could be the forum moderator who helps forumgoers and deals with troublemakers and spambots, or the game moderator who helps organise a multiplayer game and maintains house rules agreed by the other players, like not spamming assassins.

e.g. "The forum mod was also a game mod in a modded game."

End pedantry. =)

@Valinn, the mods mentioned in the OP, with the exlusion of possibly VIET, range from somewhat to really famous. I haven't seen "The Prince and the Thane" being referred to with its full name, and SWMH and PB are almost always antonymed. Do note that I pick out what to include and that I either modify the suggestions or just outright refuse them. Thanks for the "MTTH" suggestion.

@Chamboozer, it might not be so, as immersion is not a vital part of the definition of "gamey"

@Generaloaf & brxbrx, it's there already ;)

@besaccia, thanks.

@PadrePio, do we need it? I don't know what to write to summarise it neatly, actually.

@Achab, I've added MP, but I'm not so sure about MPC and OOS.

@aniuby, thanks for the pedantry :D I've updated the OP with your info.

@ZechsMerquise73, I've never seen it used like that :eek:

You should MP more, then you would experience a lot of OOSes in your MPCs.

@Valinn, the mods mentioned in the OP, with the exlusion of possibly VIET, range from somewhat to really famous. I haven't seen "The Prince and the Thane" being referred to with its full name, and SWMH and PB are almost always antonymed. Do note that I pick out what to include and that I either modify the suggestions or just outright refuse them. Thanks for the "MTTH" suggestion.

@Chamboozer, it might not be so, as immersion is not a vital part of the definition of "gamey"

@besaccia, thanks.

@PadrePio, do we need it? I don't know what to write to summarise it neatly, actually.

Hey Dark,
since you mention what a mod is, might be worth explaining what vanilla is. I remember that it took me a while to understand what it meant when I first dropped into the forum...

By the way, isn't Emu'd the same as Ninja'd? That's what I gathered from how most posters would use the expression...

Oh, have you heard of the acronym F&F? :rolleyes:

Vanilla and F&F added.

"Emu'd" is not obligatorily the same as "Ninja'd" as it involves posting between the response to AAR feedback and the next chapter. The next chapter might not have been even started yet, thus denying a "ninja'd"

The two I had in mind were VIET and the Somewhat More Historic mod. I haven't heard of either of those, although admittedly I'm not heavily into the modding scene. And I've never seen Balansegang called PB, but maybe I just missed it. And I've never seen EK either, which I think is usually just called elder scrolls.

Very nice work though. I'm sure a lot of folks will appreciate the list.

The two I had in mind were VIET and the Somewhat More Historic mod. I haven't heard of either of those, although admittedly I'm not heavily into the modding scene. And I've never seen Balansegang called PB, but maybe I just missed it. And I've never seen EK either, which I think is usually just called elder scrolls.

Very nice work though. I'm sure a lot of folks will appreciate the list.

Well, "Balansegang" is actually spoosed to be an outdated way to call it, and SWMH is a rather big mapmod. EK is tossed around from time to time, but it's not really seen as our mod's yet to be released ;)

@besaccia, thanks.

You're hurting me, Darkgamma. Where's the love for brx? And his royalty check?