Darkest Hour vs HOI4: How do they stack up?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Don't worry new events for HOI4 will be available just for a few bucks maybe! :D If you are from Bhutan or Nepal - man this is YOUR chance to conquer the world with your nation! The slogan of HOI4 must be something like: "You are from small country but you have big dreams for it - then play HOI4, colonize America with Luxembourg, conquer Berlin with Nepal and make Germany suffer!"

PS: Sadly, it's a joke which can be done in HOI4.

Regards

Reactions:
Funniest post I've read on this forum in quite some time. :D:D:D

I can do even better: quoting the Steam page's supposed features of the game is even more hilarious.

Reactions:
Don't worry new events for HOI4 will be available just for a few bucks maybe! :D If you are from Bhutan or Nepal - man this is YOUR chance to conquer the world with your nation! The slogan of HOI4 must be something like: "You are from small country but you have big dreams for it - then play HOI4, colonize America with Luxembourg, conquer Berlin with Nepal and make Germany suffer!"

PS: Sadly, it's a joke which can be done in HOI4.

Regards

How is that possible? Does HOI 4 not take population/manpower/IC into consideration?

How is that possible? Does HOI 4 not take population/manpower/IC into consideration?

I think it's the national trees. The generic national tree give, like, 10 factories, a boost to manpower, lets you go any ideology you want, etc. For a major, 10 factories isn't huge, but for Bhutan and Luxembourg who start, with, like, 1, it's a massive boost. Plus, the AI is braindead, so using those early boosts lets you conquer little nations until you can go onto bigger ones. I could be 100%, since I don't own HoI4, but that's the impression I got from LPs and forum threads.

Reactions:
Want me to tell you the sole reason HOI4's better than DH? It has a mass disband button. I mean seriously : Each and every time I want to annihilate Germany with my sweet, sweet Soviet Union, I need something like 10 hours just to setup everything right. And guess what? Once the war is over and I want to go after the Americans, I need to do the same thing again because damnit it takes EVEN LONGER to change my troops so that they're fit to fight in California.

I love DH but seriously fuck that interface

Want me to tell you the sole reason HOI4's better than DH? It has a mass disband button. I mean seriously : Each and every time I want to annihilate Germany with my sweet, sweet Soviet Union, I need something like 10 hours just to setup everything right. And guess what? Once the war is over and I want to go after the Americans, I need to do the same thing again because damnit it takes EVEN LONGER to change my troops so that they're fit to fight in California.

I love DH but seriously **** that interface

?

Why do you need to disband troops? It's counterproductive considering their experience

Why do you need to disband troops? It's counterproductive considering their experience
Also, despite it taking hours disbanding is less tedious than completely changing a troop's type, and since I'm a lazy bastard and I often start a game to test a specific event or decision or feature in a certain situation, I sometimes need to mass disband troops. Also, when I want to upgrade the entirety of my (Often massive) navy

Also, despite it taking hours disbanding is less tedious than completely changing a troop's type, and since I'm a lazy bastard and I often start a game to test a specific event or decision or feature in a certain situation, I sometimes need to mass disband troops. Also, when I want to upgrade the entirety of my (Often massive) navy

I have never felt the need to disband any troops, ever, especially as the Soviet Union. If I want marines or mountaineers, I just build them and add them to the horde.

I have never felt the need to disband any troops, ever, especially as the Soviet Union. If I want marines or mountaineers, I just build them and add them to the horde.

Also, you can simply convert an experienced infantry division into a mountain or marine one, through the upgrade choice.

There is a mass disband button if im not mistaken. That is literally the dumbest reason ive ever heard to hate on a game.

I thought I heard once that as the Soviet Union it was more efficient to get rid of a bunch of troops rather than letting that gigantic outdated army eat up your IC for upgrades, IC that could be put to better use building more IC. Then rebuild your horde. By the way I have tried three times to play as the USSR and have failed each time losing out a grinding war of attrition and steady retreat.
sooooo yea...

cheers!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I thought I heard once that as the Soviet Union it was more efficient to get rid of a bunch of troops rather than letting that gigantic outdated army eat up your IC for upgrades, IC that could be put to better use building more IC. Then rebuild your horde. By the way I have tried three times to play as the USSR and have failed each time losing out a grinding war of attrition and steady retreat.
sooooo yea...

cheers!

When I play a game with a "central planning" economy, I just don't upgrade anything, ever.

sooooo yea...

cheers!
...How can you lose in a war of attrition against ANYONE as the Soviet Union? The thing's got so much manpower only the USA is more broken

When I play a game with a "central planning" economy, I just don't upgrade anything, ever.
I like to upgrade all of my troops AFTER the war is over. 'Cause you know, that's when they need it the most

...How can you lose in a war of attrition against ANYONE as the Soviet Union? The thing's got so much manpower only the USA is more broken

I haven't played Vanilla in ages, but in All In One mod, Germany (yes, the AI) steamrolls the USSR even when I play the USSR myself. The mod was recently patched so this might have been mitigated to some extent.

I haven't played Vanilla in ages, but in All In One mod, Germany (yes, the AI) steamrolls the USSR even when I play the USSR myself. The mod was recently patched so this might have been mitigated to some extent.
Really? I never tested this mod but isn't it the opposite in Vanilla? I distinctly remember many mods giving free troops and ressources to Germany so that it has a fighting chance against the Soviet Union...

Yeah, I think it's the granting of the German Elite divisions that imbalances the mod a bit. Germany allowing Germany to sometime wrap up the Western Front and Yugoslavia by 1940 and thus executing Barbarossa a year early. The AI Soviet Union is usually wiped out by the end of 1940 when this happens. When I play it's a long slow retreat with the death of millions. I do love the challenge and I usually only play as minors so I'm used to losing ;)

I just started a new Soviet campaign with new patch so maybe it's changed a bit.