• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fridgeman

Recruit
2 Badges
May 20, 2008
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Darkest Hour
Hello folks. I would not post this, if i had not tried everything i came across so far on suggestions on the internet.

After loosing my DH cd years back, aswell as my old PC, i decided to grab DH again today.
I got DH from steam, installed it on my Win10 machine, did not update (so its 1.04).

I activated direct play. Set .exe to run 16-bit, administrator, changed settings.cfg to windowed mode.
Copied ddraw.dll and aqrit.cfg to DH folder... Started right from .exe, and with launcher too (intro disabled).
Repaired and re-installed it.

So far, every single try gives me a black infinite loading screen, while the windowed mode tries gave me a white
window infinite loading.

Event viewer:
Provider
[ Name] Application Hang
- EventID 1002
[ Qualifiers] 0
Level 2
Task 101
Keywords 0x80000000000000
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2019-04-18T20:58:28.443238100Z
EventRecordID 26103
Channel Application
Computer Fridge
Security
-
EventData
Darkest Hour.exe
1b58
01d4f629646dc3e8

Anymore suggestions before i refund it with a broken heart?

I loved this game, and want to give it some hours while im ill at home.

P.S. on my system i run old games, like Jagged Alliance 2 and Fallout 1-2,
so really no idea why DH would not work.

Last edited:
Same problem with version 1.05, aswell as 1.05.1. Tried Vista SP 2 compability mode aswell as XP SP 3 mode.
Thanks for your help nontheless. Support aswell told to upgrade to 1.05, so it seems my machine will not run the game, after all suggestions have been tried.

Try running DH.exe with dedicated graphics card and not with the integrated one.

Whenever I try and play this, I have resolution issues. By that, I mean that the game is boxed in and out of alignment with my computer, so I can only see part of the screen. The rest is blacked out.