• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FreeBeerForMe

Recruit
Jul 8, 2022
Hello everbody,

I just bought a steam key for Darkest Hour and I'm disappointed as it isn't running on my PC just like Hoi2 DD. It starts, the monitor gets dark (after the intro) and the application just stops/closes without any prompt.

According to my device manager I have Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600. I also tried several configurations in the DH Launcher (no intro, no sprites, no music etc). Direct Play for Legacy Components is actived.

My PC is a Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p (Typ 10AA) with 8 GB RAM. My desktop resolution is 1600 x 900 (aktiv signal res. 1920 x 1080, 8 bit), got 2 monitors. DirectX Runtime is 12.0.

What can I do? Kind regards.

Hello everbody,

I just bought a steam key for Darkest Hour and I'm disappointed as it isn't running on my PC just like Hoi2 DD. It starts, the monitor gets dark (after the intro) and the application just stops/closes without any prompt.

According to my device manager I have Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600. I also tried several configurations in the DH Launcher (no intro, no sprites, no music etc). Direct Play for Legacy Components is actived.

My PC is a Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p (Typ 10AA) with 8 GB RAM. My desktop resolution is 1600 x 900 (aktiv signal res. 1920 x 1080, 8 bit), got 2 monitors. DirectX Runtime is 12.0.

What can I do? Kind regards.
My first guess would be try running it with only one monitor....

Run it in window mode as so:
The launcher will tell you window mode doesn't work, the checkbox will be darkened.
Ignore that, as it will work with a bit of a work-around.

1. Open the place you installed the game.
2. Within the folder, you will find the files Darkest Hour and Darkest Hour launcher.
3. Launch the game with darkest hour launcher. Make sure to have a lower resolution than your screen resolution.
3b. This will now make a change to another file in your installation folder called settings.cfg.
4. Go into this setting file with a text editor such as notepad which comes with windows or notepad++ which is a popular alternative
6 # Display resolution: 0 = do not change (default: 1024x768), 1 = 1152x864, 2 = 1280x768, 3 = 1280x1024, 4 = 1440x900, 5 = 1600x1024, 6 = user specified - see below
5. See this line? Make sure its set to 6. This will now set it to what you made the launcher set it to.
6. Right click darkest hour and click properties
7. under compatibility, select reduced colour mode and run as admin.
8. Now run the game NOT USING THE LAUNCHER, but by clicking the darkest hour executable.
9. If you want to change mod use logic and repeat appropriate steps.

If done correctly, you will be able to have a window covering 95% of your screen for the game.

If it does not work, change 6 to 1 and see if it runs in original default resolution, if it does, go in launcher again and experiment with the best resolution you can get.