• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yep. that would not be bad...

Hello guys,

I've the same problem then the others. The map extractor crashes immediately after startup. I installed Framework 3.5, Jamie's Map Utility and edited the correct path and province number in settings.txt. Furthermore I copied the folder "map_1" to "map", province.csv to the vanilla folder "db" and province_names.csv to the vanilla folder "config". After that "lightmap2.tbl", "lightmap3.tbl" "and lightmap4.tbl" from the archive were pasted in "map". My operating system is Windows Vista.

Did I forget anything else? Is there anybody able to help me?

Hello guys,

I've the same problem then the others. The map extractor crashes immediately after startup. I installed Framework 3.5, Jamie's Map Utility and edited the correct path and province number in settings.txt. Furthermore I copied the folder "map_1" to "map", province.csv to the vanilla folder "db" and province_names.csv to the vanilla folder "config". After that "lightmap2.tbl", "lightmap3.tbl" "and lightmap4.tbl" from the archive were pasted in "map". My operating system is Windows Vista.

Did I forget anything else? Is there anybody able to help me?

I'm afraid that you're like everybody else here, including me, get a chair, get comfy and simply... wait and see!... until someone gets it done...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in a hurry. But I haven't seen any statements from the developers concerning this problem.

I really thought I posted a reply to this a long time ago. :(
Probably in a pm or other thread.

The thing is that the mapeditor software, although it works sort of, is an incredibly weird acting piece of software, which errors and problems follow no clear logic I can recognize.
If it doesn't work you are probably doing something wrong, or not...
I know it is frustrating and I would love to give you guys a stepbystep guide on how to do it, but I simply can't. I regulary spent hours to figure out why the thing suddenly doesn't do what I want anymore.

And sadly I don't have the bandwith to upload the base files I use to create the individual Zoomlevels, it's multiple Gb's and I'm on a 40 kb/s line, so no chance.

First of all I want to thank you for your comments. In the last days I've been trying to solve the problem. I must admit that I probably failed, but there is the hope that I only did a little mistake. Maybe the entry for "AdjacentTableEntryCount" in settings.txt is incorrect for Darkest Hour. Is 14860 correct?

#The number of entries that should be in the adjacent table
#This is strictly optional
#Usually used only with HoI
AdjacentTableEntryCount=14860

If you wanna use the object editor to edit a new map in a subfolder, you need to move the db files to their vanilla location, province.csv to db, province_names.csv to the configfolder, and the mapfiles out of the subfolder directly to the /map folder.
!!Make a backup before you do that or mods using the vanilla map will no longer work!!

ok so
Darkest Hour\map\Map_1\Province.csv ===> Darkest Hour\db\Province.csv
Darkest Hour\map\Map_1\province_names.csv ===> Darkest Hour\config\province_names.csv
Darkest Hour\map\{Map_1} ===> Darkest Hour\{map}
The object editor doesn't work with the topographic map for DH, it simply can't handled a patchwork of different maps without throwing errors around.
As a workaround you have to use a Zoom level 1 full map and use it for the work with the object editor. Remember I told you to save all your files from Zoom 1.

You can find the aditional layers of the DH Full map here:

where?

You should alread have copied the mapfiles from the /map/map_1 folder to the /map folder, now copy the three layers in the archive into the /map folder aswell.
What layers?
If you have setup your maptools right (pointing at the darkest Hour root folder).
if i have setup my map tools right, what should happen?
If you have done everything right. you can now use the object editor, and the mapextractor again.
it doesn't work. =\

Last edited:
another question. Extracting the map with this command -extract(0,0,156,180,6,2) the MapExtractor doesn't create the images.txt file inside the exported maps folder. What should I do? Should i write it by myself?

edit: I wrote it by myself but then the MapMaker crashed due to insufficient memory

Last edited:
ok i used the standard extract command because with the -extract(0,0,156,180,6,2) command i could extract the map but cannot reconstruct it with MapMaker
I made a black map, empty, with no provinces, just to check if everything works.
I have all colorscales.png grey and all id.png black (i choose black because in the ids.csv there is

0;0;0;0
1;128;0;0
2;0;128;0

so i choose the first one.

I run the MapMaker and press 1.
everything it's ok.
press 2
everything it's ok.
press 3 and..
Working...
Scanniong adj-mod.txt...
adj-mod.txt does exist, so now parsing
Done scanning adk-mod.txt!
Loading block headers...Done!
Thread 1:

RowStart: 0
LoadRowEnd: 11
ScanRowEnd:10

Thread 2:

RowStart: 10
LoadRowEnd: 21
ScanRowEnd: 20

Thread 3:

RowStart: 20
LoadRowEnd: 31
ScanRowEnd:30

Thread 4: ERROR: The max province number is 2608, but a province was detected with ID 16191

RowStart: 30
ERROR: The max province number is 2608, but a province was detected with ID 16191
LoadRowEnd: 41
ERROR: The max province number is 2608, but a province was detected with ID 16191
ScanRowEnd:40

Press any key to continue, which will probably result in horrible error messages...

ERROR: The max province number is 2608, but a province was detected with ID 8224

Press any key to continue, which will probably result in horrible error messages...

ERROR: The max province number is 2608, but a province was detected with ID 16160

ERROR: The max province number is 2608, but a province was detected with ID 8224

then it crashes and in the log file there is:

Code:
Log of MapMaker v2.2.5.0
Logging started at: 20/05/2012 10:05:46 UTC

Adj-mod.txt does exist, so now parsing

#################################
An exception has occurred.
Exception: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException
	Derived from System.ArgumentException
	Derived from System.SystemException
	Derived from System.Exception
20/05/2012 10:10:08
Message: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
Source: mscorlib

STACK TRACE
Void ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(System.ExceptionArgument, System.ExceptionResource)
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
   at MapEditor.AdjacentMaker.DoPair(List`1 adjancies, KeyValuePair`2 kvp1, KeyValuePair`2 kvp2)
   at MapEditor.AdjacentMaker.DoRows(Int32 rowStart, Int32 scanRowEnd, List`1 adjancies, OwnershipData[,] blocks, DoAdjacentTask task)
   at MapEditor.AdjacentMaker.MakeAdjacent(Int32 rowStart, Int32 loadRowEnd, Int32 scanRowEnd, ByteReader stream, BlockHolder[,] headers, List`1 adjancies, DoAdjacentTask task)
   at MapEditor.AdjacentMaker.DoAdjacentTask.TaskOverride()
   at CoreLib.Task.DoTask(Int32 index, TaskQueue tq)
   at CoreLib.TaskQueue.DoWork(Object value)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)

I checked my ID.png and i know for sure (i used irfanview "number of unique colors") that there is only the BLACK 0;0;0; inside every ID files. So how can the mapmaker find more then one id? And how can it be 16160 or 8224? If i change the maxnumber of provinces to 10000 then the mapmaker says that the wrong id are different..something like 161600

Please HELP...I really want to make my mod with a new map... =\

mmh I tried to do it all over again and now it seems to work but I have another problem -.-'
with the mapmaker i press 1, 2, 3, 4, and everything is ok. but when i press 5 it crashes and in the log.txt there is

Log of MapMaker v2.2.5.0
Logging started at: 21/05/2012 14:04:46 UTC

Adj-mod.txt does exist, so now parsing

Exception: System.IndexOutOfRangeException
5/21/2012 2:09:22 PM
Source: CoreLib

STACK TRACE
Int32 ReadInt32()
at CoreLib.Io.ByteReader.ReadInt32()
at MapUtility.AdjacentTable..ctor(String str)
at MapUtility.Global.get_AdjacentTable()
at MapEditor.LightmapMaker.LoadData()
at MapEditor.LightmapMaker.MakeLightmaps()
at MapEditor.Program.BeginWork(String[] args)
at MapEditor.Boot.Main(String[] args)

Last edited:
thank you.
hm let me ask you another question...
I'm making a brand new map and I'm starting cleaning ALL the map files so that i can start drawing my new map.
Should i start with the 0;0;0; color? I mean i want to fill all the provid file with one color and then start adding other colors for other provinces.
I'm wondering if i should use id0 then id 1, then 2 ... or can i paint randomly?

edit: Kaisermuffin tolds me that i could use the hoi2 vanilla map to make my new map because the old connections limit was no more a problem, but when compiling the map with mapmaker, pressing 4 it says that my connection are 0 and is not 14860. Should i worry about this warning or not?

Last edited:
I'm really going crazy...
I have extracted the map using -extract(0,0,156,180,6,2)

I created a test map with a few provinces. A little island in the middle of the ocean. (I created a 29950x11520px file and i have imported all the pieces exported with the mapextractor)

the border file should be ok.

the ID map is a png 24bit rgb
the colorscale map is a png 8 bit (indexed 256)
scaled.php

then i cropped the map in pieces. I saved every piece overwriting the old map pieces.

I opened the mapmaker and I pressed 1.

the error is

Exception: System.NullReferenceException
17/06/2012 07:52:34
Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Source: CoreLib

STACK TRACE
System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String] ReadAndCleanLines(System.String, System.Text.Encoding)
at CoreLib.Io.File.ReadAndCleanLines(String path, Encoding encoding)
at CoreLib.Io.File.ReadAndCleanLines(String path)
at MapUtility.ColorToId.FromFile(String path)
at MapUtility.ColorToId..ctor(Boolean loadDefault)
at MapUtility.Global..cctor()

Exception: System.TypeInitializationException
17/06/2012 07:52:34
Message: The type initializer for 'MapUtility.Global' threw an exception.
Source: MapMaker

STACK TRACE
Void DoBlockOwnership(MapEditor.ProtoBlock)
at MapEditor.RadishMaker.DoBlockOwnership(ProtoBlock b)
at MapEditor.RadishMaker.DoBlock(Point p)
at MapEditor.RadishMaker..ctor(LineData data)
at MapEditor.RadishMaker.MakeFile(LineData data)
at MapEditor.MakeFileTask.TaskOverride()
at CoreLib.Task.DoTask(Int32 index, TaskQueue tq)
at CoreLib.TaskQueue.DoWork(Object value)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)

Can someone help me? I'm losing the will to make this mod =\