Darkest Hour - Dev Diary #34 - Patch 1.05

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There is this pretty vocal guy on the darkest hour steam forums that keeps going on about bugs in 1.5.1 being so bad contra 1.4. For instance:

"Torpedoes may not be placed on human/allied subs & destroyers (BUT may be placed as usual on Axis subs & destroyers). Major game killing bug (specially if you play as Britain -relies on its navy for defense). More bugs than fixes in 1.5. Discussed in earlier Comment.

Mmmh, easy enough for everyone to check it out... I just did, too. Neither axis nor allies can use torps for subs or DDs. So it might be due to Mods as above already mentioned but then one should be, perhaps, a bit more careful with the blame or just use no or other Mods.
Have given up on DH & uninstalled. Overpowered Germany/Axis & huge gifts of wealth & armies render game unbalanced & Players research (tech), a waste of time."

DH and even more so some Mods definetly give players a challenge which is, I reckon, the reason we play it.
Nevertheless, from what I read in the AARs, a decent human player putting some thought into it seems to be able to win in DH with every major power which is, I reckon, another reason why we play DH.

Perhaps the quotes of the "vocal steam forum guy" are a bit out of context? Otherwise I have problems to understand his statements.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Was it changed from 1.4 to 1.5.1? Or is the guys simply wrong? Thanks guys.
From the first post in this topic:
8. Major overhaul of torpedoes representation in the game:
- Removed torpedo brigade from SS/SSN/DD units
- Torpedo techs set to give convoy attack (up to 8), sea attack (up to 4) and sub attack (up to 4) bonuses directly to SS/SSN/DD units

- Limited torpedo brigade bonuses from techs to 9 convoy attack, 4 sub attack and 2 sea attack
- Allowed first torpedo model to upgrade to next model (at full cost)
- Increased torpedo brigade cost
- First model adds fire range penalty (5) which is removed by the second model
- Reduced starting torpedo brigade attack stats, especially for the second model
- Reduced starting DD sea and convoy attack values for every model by 1 point
- Reduced SS max brigades from 2 to 1
- Reduced SSN max brigades from 3 to 2
- Reviewed SSN models stats and cost and set to be better then equal SS models and also to increase between SSN models
So it's still profitable to research torpedo techs.

I'm going by the words of several people who have talked about this issue quite a few times on the steam darkest hour forum which made me curious. So I asked here to get a quick clarification if it were in fact real, as I gathered people who still hang around here have a very good grasp of the game. No I haven't checked myself, but I intend to. So if there is a problem maybe it can be fixed if we get another patch - also if it's just some people misunderstanding I want to point it out on the steam forum because people yelling loudly about issues x and y ruining a game annoys me slightly.

Could't this be caused by old events or starting OOB units, which still give those torpedoes to units that by all rights should't have them? Because you can totally do that to give attachments to pre-placed/event divisions. Its kind a funny bug. But you are prohibited (and so is the AI) from adding those to new units.

Check the OOBs and Events.

I've always wondered if this is just one hella mad guy or if it's actually true that 1.5.1 introduced a few nasty bugs. Did a quick test and I cannot attach torpedoes to any dd or sub with any nation. What am I missing?

IIRC there was a GER AI event that pre-places some submarines with naval_torpedoes_s attached in the build queue that wasn't updated for 1.05/1.05.1

I know it's been asked for some time but I really don't remember (and can't seem to find it): Gamersgate only has the 1.03 version. So do I have to install the 1.04 patch and the 1.05 after that, or can I install directly the last one?

You can directly patch to Darkest Hour 1.05:
# https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/darkest-hour-patch-1-05.1058633/
But afterwards you need to manually also add the hotfix 1.05.1:
# https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...st-hour-patch-1-05-1-hot-fix-release.1069718/

Not sure where to bring this up, perhaps it should be its own thread, but:

In 1.05 province improvements (Infra, IC, forts, etc) are affected by the "production time" modifiers from policies, but not the "production cost" modifier. (Whereas before they were impacted by neither modifier). This hits hard for demobilized nations, because they suffer the increase in build time for stuff like IC without getting the corresponding build cost discount, making peacetime economic buildup uncomfortably slow. I figure that having both modifiers impact province improvements would make Hawk/Free Market policies OP, but I wonder whta the exact design philosophy was.

A minor issue. In scenario 1941 and 1942(possible other scenarios - yeah I checked also 1943 and 1944) Serbia lacks cores on their provinces except their capital. In scenario 1940 however they get all their cores when released. Perhaps it's intentional , it just seems inconsistent.

Last edited:
Not sure where to bring this up, perhaps it should be its own thread, but:

In 1.05 province improvements (Infra, IC, forts, etc) are affected by the "production time" modifiers from policies, but not the "production cost" modifier. (Whereas before they were impacted by neither modifier). This hits hard for demobilized nations, because they suffer the increase in build time for stuff like IC without getting the corresponding build cost discount, making peacetime economic buildup uncomfortably slow. I figure that having both modifiers impact province improvements would make Hawk/Free Market policies OP, but I wonder whta the exact design philosophy was.
I noticed this too, I wonder why buildings aren't reduced in cost by the slider but their build time is. It looks like an oversight or bug to me.
A minor issue. In scenario 1941 and 1942(possible other scenarios - yeah I checked also 1943 and 1944) Serbia lacks cores on their provinces except their capital. In scenario 1940 however they get all their cores when released. Perhaps it's intentional , it just seems inconsistent.
I think they're not supposed to get any provinces as cores except the capital to reflect their status as a military administrated puppet nation under Germany. The same applies to the Japanese puppet of China-Nanking, it only gains Nanking as a core province (yet usually retains the capital at Chongqing anyway). So the 1940 situation is probably an oversight. Which makes me imagine that Croatia is an oversight too, as they gain all of their provinces as cores, even Bosnia and the Serbian majority areas, with no partisan activity at all. Bulgaria gains cores on Macedonian, Serbian and Greek provinces also, but while I can understand their Macedonian areas being cores without any partisan activity, the same can't be said for their Serbian and Greek claims. Same probably applies to Montenegrin and Albanian puppets. The entire Balkan situation isn't very developed at all.
IIRC there was a GER AI event that pre-places some submarines with naval_torpedoes_s attached in the build queue that wasn't updated for 1.05/1.05.1
Is it going to be patched?

• 1Like
Reactions:
how can i defeat Denmark? that's what i usually do :
1: Naval Block in Copenaghen before the war declaration
2: bombing industry infinitely
3: bombing units
4 : bombing port
5: Assault from Odense...
But nothing happen.. they just take off their navy and i must stop the assault.. with total realism project i mean..
With this 1.5.1 there are two eclatant bugs
1: The German forces are less organized than the Russian (that's unhistorical)
2: it's quite impossible to build Armoured Division in a war as known as the "Armoured war"..

how can i defeat Denmark? that's what i usually do :
1: Naval Block in Copenaghen before the war declaration
2: bombing industry infinitely
3: bombing units
4 : bombing port
5: Assault from Odense...
But nothing happen.. they just take off their navy and i must stop the assault.. with total realism project i mean..
With this 1.5.1 there are two eclatant bugs
1: The German forces are less organized than the Russian (that's unhistorical)
2: it's quite impossible to build Armoured Division in a war as known as the "Armoured war"..
First of all, for Mods you should ask for help in the respective threads since the changes they make may affect the answer.

However, the two bugs you meantion are no bugs:
1) what you see is a number called Nominal Organization, but what matters is Effective Organization which takes into account GDE (Ground Defense Efficiency) which is where Germany is much better. For this reason, the Effective Organization of Germany is actually superior compared to USSR.
2) It's quite possible, but it depends on researching the correct doctrines. In fact both Germany and Soviet Union can research the doctrine and build Armored Division as early as 1937. This is historical.