Darkest Hour - Dev Diary #34 - Patch 1.05

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey just bought the game on steam. Found something thats driving me crazy. I want to ship supplies to my german colonies and i have them but it wont let me in the convoy setup it says i dont have them. But up in the supply list where metal, rare, power, oil, supplies i do. What am i doing wrong?

Hey just bought the game on steam. Found something thats driving me crazy. I want to ship supplies to my german colonies and i have them but it wont let me in the convoy setup it says i dont have them. But up in the supply list where metal, rare, power, oil, supplies i do. What am i doing wrong?
Maybe you don't have enough convoys? It's hard to tell.
Anyway, my suggestion is to just use auto-convoys as it's easier.

I'm watching a great doc series; 'Price of Empire'. They mention that an armored division took 45 ships to move across the Atlantic. 1 unit is fine i suppose for carrying infantry. Perhaps there could be some way of injecting this distinction into the game.

"8. Major overhaul of torpedoes representation in the game:
- Removed torpedo brigade from SS/SSN/DD units"

Thank you for this, always disliked having torpedo brigades for subs.

Hey bros and gals!

Didn't even know about this game. Never did any HoI until Four, which I picked up on 60% off a while back. Fun game (and pretty) but bit shallow.

I do own Arsenal of Democracy and have C.O.R.E. mod running and have played that a bit as Japan.

What is the relationship between this game and Arsenal of Demoracy?

At $10 this will be a must buy in the next 48 hours or so.

Both Darkest Hour and Arsenal of Democracy are based on the Europa engine, which was previously used to power Hearts of Iron I and II. This makes them close, but apart from that, both development teams made different design choices. As a result AoD and DH have many different features.

Hey bros and gals!

Didn't even know about this game. Never did any HoI until Four, which I picked up on 60% off a while back. Fun game (and pretty) but bit shallow.

I do own Arsenal of Democracy and have C.O.R.E. mod running and have played that a bit as Japan.

At $10 this will be a must buy in the next 48 hours or so.
I first bought AoD but haven't played it in years. The real main reason I choose DH it because the community seems so much larger. Tend to find more mods and opponents. That's all really. I remember AoD as very similar.

I would like to see the dev crew revisit the topic of 'bombing technique'. We have all these different missions requiring doctrine and often values, yet what we don't have is much choice with a specific bomber type exactly 'how' they will conduct the attack. I think it may be actually more complicated than it has to be. The types of attack should be 'level bombing' and 'dive bombing'. The effectiveness of level bombing could be expanded to 3 altitude levels that mathematically affect proficiency and vulnerability; and while dive bombing can be based on efficiency of the bomber or fighter type. Just my 2 cents. Specific targeting would still be needed factory/infra/ supply/ or ground type.

Last edited:
Long past due but good job!

The dev team could likely get me to see some reason why my suggestions may be unnecessary. Supply; especially oversea supply, had me confused for awhile. You could say i wasn't expecting it work so realistically perhaps. The only suggestion that seems to sustain revision with me wasn't really my suggestion at all. Someone said the game needs CAG units that mount carriers. I think this would be huge. Especially for games that continue past WW2 .Modders could perhaps find a way to use them to represent cruise missiles on ships/subs as well. Notwithstanding the difficulty adding it, it would really rock the Hoi world. Just my take.

Another ides that's probably been mentioned is the convenient but not very realistic method of rebasing especially short-range fighters long distances. Sorry if it's been discussed at length already; just thought it worth mentioning.

Last edited:
Hi all and thank you to the dev for the update. I have a problem: I posses the game on GOG, and from the GOG Galaxy program I see that DH it's updated to the version 1.04. How can I update it to the new version?

Hi all and thank you to the dev for the update. I have a problem: I posses the game on GOG, and from the GOG Galaxy program I see that DH it's updated to the version 1.04. How can I update it to the new version?
The patch is still technically in beta, so for GOG you have to update it manually.
You can find the patch installer and the instructions here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/darkest-hour-patch-1-05.1058633/
EDIT: after installing patch 1.05 you should also install the 1.05.1 hotfix https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...st-hour-patch-1-05-1-hot-fix-release.1069718/

Time to start a new Game with Version 1.05 after a very long Time and it will be an Armageddon Game.

Everything we always wanted for that Game is implemented in this beauty here and i will have a lot of Fun with it.

I love the Fact,that you Guys did improve the Game up to today,keep up the good Work !