Darkest Hour - Dev Diary #34 - Patch 1.05

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I began to test 1.05 patch (DH Light mod) and found that the probability of moving of "political sliders" after "Influence Nation" became much less.
Successful influence moves political sliders very very rarely now!
For all 1938 year I couldn't move sliders of Italy and Spain up to Germany parametres (standard operation in multiplayer). I did it every 8 days from march to december and I have not reached the result :(
I am 10 years in Hoi and before such fail never happened! :( Before, political sliders were moving much more often (after successful influence)
I have tested this several times, yes the problem every time is confirmed.

Did Devs really changed the probability of moving of political sliders in 1.05 patch?
Have I any opportunity to increase this probability in game files?

Last edited:
I have to read the changelog to totally understand how awsome this is <3
Neverthless... I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!! Awesome <<3

Any Chance to throw Money on you?

btw is there a guide to update 1.04 mods like on the Patches before?

I began to test 1.05 patch (DH Light mod) and found that the probability of moving of "political sliders" after "Influence Nation" became much less. Successful influence moves political sliders very very rarely now!
For all 1938 year I couldn't move sliders of Italy and Spain up to Germany parametres (standard operation in multiplayer). I did it every 8 days from march to december and I have not reached the result :(
I am 10 years in Hoi and before such fail never happened! :( Before, political sliders were moving much more often (after successful influence)

Did Devs changed the probability of moving of political sliders in 1.05 patch?
Have I any opportunity to increase this probability in game files?

There's one change there: "Allowed influence diplomatic action to affect Political Left and Democratic policy sliders." which could indeed reduce the chance to move a slider, because by default these two sliders are set as not movable by "Influence Nation" (so every successful influence for these two sliders only boosts relations). If the only goal is to have slider moves, then you can set those two sliders as movable too (policy_effects.csv, MANUAL_OR_ BY_INFLUENCE _MOVES setting should be equal to 2 for all sliders).

If the only goal is to have slider moves, then you can set those two sliders as movable too (policy_effects.csv, MANUAL_OR_ BY_INFLUENCE _MOVES setting should be equal to 2 for all sliders).

Yes, the main goal is to have last four slider moves.
I looked policy_effects.csv, MANUAL_OR_ BY_INFLUENCE _MOVES and saw that there are no changes, in old versions and now all 7 DH-Light sliders have setting = 2 (hmm... it's very strange, in old versions first two sliders never moved by INFLUENCE but their setting... also was 2)

I made new tests, I set first three sliders = 1 ("manual slider moves are allowed too")
If I correctly understood your idea, this could increase probability of movement of the other four sliders. But it has brought not success.
Sliders moved only after 15-20 attempts, although successful strong influence happens often. In all old versions sliders moved much more often.

For interest, I tried to set the Minister "+20 for chance of influence" (previously, this was not a big need and not used)
And the miracle happened! :D
The sliders began to move more often, as it was before without such Minister!

So, now I see the way how to restore previous rate of sliders moving - to give to Ribbentrop, Eden and Molotov +20 bonus of influence. Hope this will works.

Last edited:
I made new tests, I set first three sliders = 1 ("manual slider moves are allowed too")

I think what Martin means is that whenever there is a very succesful influence mission than domestic policies are randomly selected and if they return 0 or 1 for manual moves than nothing happens. Even less slider movement allowance should result in less influence moves. While increasing influence chance will give much higher influence mission success . The work around being to set all domestic polices to 2 for manual moves. Which should result in base game influence success in addition to political and plurality policy changes. The only other modifier we can access is in misc.txt diplomacy script's IC influence ratio.

Last edited:
I have to admit, and maybe I'm the only one in this situation, that I'm a bit frustrated by this update.

The work that was done is nice, but from the point of view of the casual player, there is not a lot of content which was added.

I was expecting new gaming systems, AI improvements, things that could have add flavour to the vanilla game.

I know there is lots of fantastics mods, and I play a lot with them, but all have the same limits.

It's those limits that I am talking about, I think it would have been fantastic to push them forwards.

For example, it would be fantastic for the IA of a country to adapt to its world, diplomatically et militarily, to have interessant games until the end.

And what this patch showed me is that the developping team isn't anymore able to create such content, by lack of both time and manpower.

Tell me if I am wrong, but that's how I see it.

Kind regards,
Firewolf.

I have to admit, and maybe I'm the only one in this situation, that I'm a bit frustrated by this update.

The work that was done is nice, but from the point of view of the casual player, there is not a lot of content which was added.

I was expecting new gaming systems, AI improvements, things that could have add flavour to the vanilla game.

I know there is lots of fantastics mods, and I play a lot with them, but all have the same limits.

It's those limits that I am talking about, I think it would have been fantastic to push them forwards.

For example, it would be fantastic for the IA of a country to adapt to its world, diplomatically et militarily, to have interessant games until the end.

And what this patch showed me is that the developping team isn't anymore able to create such content, by lack of both time and manpower.

Tell me if I am wrong, but that's how I see it.

Kind regards,
Firewolf.

I believe the dev team did not get paid anything to do this patch. They did it for their passion of the game.

The resource modifier's are a major improvement. They aren't implemented well in DH Full but now that they exist modders can use them too greatly enhance the economic strategy that drives the war game. Misc.txt has also received many additional values. The attribute rollover annoys me but, does include details that were hidden in stats or just not displayed before. DH Full is kind of a lost cause due too a series of facade rather than in depth changes to it's gameplay. The real conflict in that mod is the war on bugs or illogical 'features'. Despite what some may say of course this game is generating money for the staff and Paradox through royalty for sales. Another namesake (terrible looking) movie was just screened so hopefully sales will increase. While the developer, scripters, and Paradox continue to contribute too this games improvement. There is a game of the year hiding within within the code for this engine that has yet to be compiled and released.

In my opinion, the necessary can of worms that has to be opened eventually is finding a way to base one unit on top of another. The obvious need is for carrier planes of course, but it would help greatly at depicting drones, along with any interceptable ssm.

Fantastic work, lads! Already got my mind pumping for ideas on what to do with the new things!

I say, did anyone notice vastly increased Performance? Either I did something right with my computer, or the game became blazing fast for me. Like it suddenly realized my modern computer is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in excess of the minimum requirements and it should run at ungodly speeds.

Was there an optimization under the hood?

Was there an optimization under the hood?

Nothing made on purpose in the engine, so if there's an improvement it should be a side effect of a fix.
We fixed literally hundreds of DB issues thanks to the improved error checkers and that could have have effect on the performance too.

joining the chorus in thanking for your continued improvement of Darkest Hour. It is by far my most favorite in the HOI series (and offshoots)