• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And what about Poland? I'd really love to see polish-lithuanian-latvian border (together with Memel/Klaipeda) done right.

Isn't it right?

The map looks nice and it is indeed very good to hear that you got a improvement regarding perfomance. I also support the concept of the new range-system.

And do I see there a Political decisions/Event button coming? That would be really amazing.

Province names Trieste, Udine, Capodistria, Fiumme, Karlovac are wrong to give just a few examples. This map design decision leads to all sort of inconsistencies starting with province names. It's really not a proper way to go to depict plausibility. Real province of Trieste is really small and should not be in province ID 404. It should be at the seaside in the province of Capodistria and due to it's smallness it should be zoomed out like Malta. Important battle was there to and Trieste almost contributed to war between Tito's partisans and the Western allies (just in case someone wants to say that place is not worth zooming out!). If anything put the name of Trieste into the province where Capodistria is now - makes much more sense that way.
Fiume should be named Pola since Fiume should be where now Karlovac is. Karlovac should be split in two so that coastal zone is Fiume and inner zone is properly named Karlovac.

...and one can see this province naming debacle all over the map. Real distance thing is the only thing I'm looking forward to with this map. Everything else is a sloppy work - hope in recent version this sloppiness is much improved.

The one map design approach I would really like to see implemented was what member Porkman suggested but I forgot in what thread and I can't seem to find where it is. Can someone help me in giving here the link for that suggestion?

While I think the map looks lovely I have to say I'm a little disappointed that there are countries with fewer provinces in DH than in Armageddon. Sweden for instance had 23 provinces in Armageddon, and only 16 in DH. Thats 7 provinces more in Armageddon.

I'm also puzzled to see that regions like Finland and Turkey, that saw considerable military action during the first half of the twentieth century (civil wars and both world wars) don't have more provinces. Why can't these regions provinces have the same size as they in Portugal for example, or the North West coast of Africa?

And the Soviet Union...*shrug*. Typically provinces get larger and larger the longer west you go in the European part, like some unknown law says it has to be like this. This does not coincide with population density in SU by the time and not industrial capacity. In addition, military action was seen all over the European part of Russia/Soviet during the twentieth century, not just along the Polish border and in Ukraine.

Along the "road" from Moscow to Ufa the population density is about the same as Poland, and more military confrontation has been seen there in the twentieth century than in Portugal, Denmark, Britain and so forth. Yet these Soviet provinces can be called huge by HOI terms

Population density in SU by 1982

population.jpg

Last edited:
The province size should not be depended on "where majority of fighting took place" since that can drastically differ from game to game - I mean I can have major battles in provinces which are depicted as very big - I rewrite history by such games so why would I have to care for those small provinces where real fighting took place!? I'm all about plausible models which make sense - in every game element.

Different province design would provide much more deep and strategic gameplay:
a model where province sizes would be based upon population density for example and not on provisional artificial decisions.

The province size should not be depended on "where majority of fighting took place" since that can drastically differ from game to game - I mean I can have major battles in provinces which are depicted as very big - I rewrite history by such games so why would I have to care for those small provinces where real fighting took place!? I'm all about plausible models which make sense - in every game element.

Different province design would provide much more deep and strategic gameplay:
a model where province sizes would be based upon population density for example and not on provisional artificial decisions.

In case they have gone by that argument...

Anyways, there are in some cases obviously no reasoning behind the distribution of provinces, its just hardcoded HOI-culture to design it in some given way

Anyways, there are in some cases obviously no reasoning behind the distribution of provinces, its just hardcoded HOI-culture to design it in some given way
Yeah and that is not the right way to go. And yeah, I'm a demanding customer... :p

Wow. That is the nicest HoI map I have ever seen.

You do realize that the link that you provided redirects to the the page for Nazareth?
That's because Nazareth and an-Nasira are the same city but with different names. :)
My point exactly. More to the point, it is the ONLY mention of an-Nasira on that page (that it is a redirect). Nothing about the other name for Nazareth.

My point exactly. More to the point, it is the ONLY mention of an-Nasira on that page (that it is a redirect). Nothing about the other name for Nazareth.
I see your point now. Well, I guess it depends on the naming convention chosen by the developers. :)

And what about Poland? I'd really love to see polish-lithuanian-latvian border (together with Memel/Klaipeda) done right.

Poland is fine and will be even better - I am testing the DH right now. ;)

Very good work guys! And fantastic shoreline! Thats will enhace the map extemly!

EDIT: Wow, Gibraltar will be a real fortress now...

Very nice way to display Gibraltar. Is this province still the only must-have to enter the Mediterranean Sea?

What I really like with the new map, it's the feeling I am playing on a old good board wargame. Are just missing dices to roll the result of the fights!

+1 :D. Congratulations on the map which looks really good and easy to use.

I have to say that this single thread provides solid evidence why the holy grail (for some...) of a single 'expansion' for Arma - which everyone agrees with - is impossible! The Devs admit they couldn't reach full consensus within their own team - and we fans follow up by disagreeing about names, spellings, borders, number of provinces .... and this is just the map ..! Roll-on diplomacy, events, combat, techs, espionage, trade .... ;)

Actually, maps have always been controversial for many - much more than e.g. diplomacy.

Nobody likes spelling mistakes, but I like the fact the devs chose to use English spelling. I want "Find Province" feature to be useful.

I have to agree that more provinces for Finland and Turkey would be beneficial for gameplay, though. Remember that we are talking about WWI here, too.