Darkest Hour - Dev Diary #17 - Tech Tree Part 1

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well if we don't like the Artillery Changes in the end of the day, I'm sure someone in the community will create a mod to fix it.

In your infantry tech tree, I noticed that there happens to be 18 models of Regular/Light Infantry.
Does that mean that you've lifted the model limit or is it still kept at 10 per unit?

Well if we don't like the Artillery Changes in the end of the day, I'm sure someone in the community will create a mod to fix it.
After so many years I'm tired of waiting for another mod... DH should be balanced and as realistic as possible right from the start IMO.

Replacing brigades with bonuses is for me not the way to go.
In case of redundant or similar ones it's ok IMO. Not in case of AT and ART, though.

Perhaps the Artillery brigade should be renamed to something like Heavy Weapons Support Brigade? Since it basically consists of Artillery + Anti Tank Artillery + Rocket Artillery, maybe the old name Artillery doesn't really represent this brigade.

Perhaps the Artillery brigade should be renamed to something like Heavy Weapons Support Brigade? Since it basically consists of Artillery + Anti Tank Artillery + Rocket Artillery, maybe the old name Artillery doesn't really represent this brigade.

IRL such ART-AT-RA monster would be really hard to operate. It's just too big for a divisional level.
Can we have both old brigades and this Heavy support brigade?
Does makes sense to me. Player would still have good-old ART, AT and RA and if he has enough IC/Time/ this expensive (it must be expensive) and hard to produce Uber-Heavy support brigades

How can AT give bonus to artillery brigades?!?!?!

Artillery in HoI2 represents heavy artillery with indirect fire ranges of 20km or more (100-200mm barrels). Anti tank represents direct fire weapons restricted by visibility and often limited to 1-2km or less due to penetration of enemy armor (30-100mm barrels)..
Darkest Hour has another approach.

Units mostly consisted of 2-3 manouver brigades + various support units. The Support units usually consisted of a mix of Artillery, engineers, recon units, and various logistic support units. In ww1 the artillery support where indirect firing mortars howitsers and soforth. However when the military recoqnised the increased need to counter airplanes and armor, AA and AT artillery where added and to a large extent replacing some of the regular artillery units.

This is how DH approach support brigades.

So artillery is not just indirect firing artillery anymore, but should be seen in a broader term.
Therefore we operate with 2 main artillery support units, regular towed artillery and SP artillery support units.

Finally it's a disastrous decision both balance wise (as others have pointed out) and flavour wise since people will build nothing but artillery.
You really cant have any knowledge about that, since you havent seen the actual stats of the various units.

In your infantry tech tree, I noticed that there happens to be 18 models of Regular/Light Infantry.
Does that mean that you've lifted the model limit or is it still kept at 10 per unit?
There are no limit on number of models.

I'm very sceptical of this change (merge of AT and ART) and I doubt that you will be able to balance it properly. I will be gladly proved wrong, though. I just doubt that it will be the case. ART alone was already problematic in HOI2 and with that change it may easily get worse.

Very nice. It would be nice if there was a bit more space on the screen, particularly given the fact DH spans a much greater time period than vanilla HOI2. AOD were able to squeeze another inch at the bottom of the screen, letting another 3-4 lines of techs be added. It would be great if something similar were possible for DH.

While I'm not opposed to merging ART and AT in principle (ART and SPART are all I ever built anyway), I was hoping that various different brigades would become feasible. Also, flavour: how will the brigade names and pics be handled? Will we ever see a Nebelwerfer or Katyusha again?