Darkest Hour - Dev Diary #17 - Tech Tree Part 1

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CaptRobau said:
storr said:
I guess this is indeed the MOST important thing you should explain. I demand an assertion. Now!

You get Kratos from the God of War series as hero unit. How could it be anything else.

Hm, well I was as far as to assume it's some nuclear doctrine. Maybe a nuclear doctrine based on terror and secret nuke launches. Thus the one to blame for the launches is a God and NOT Germany. Basically - and thanks to this doctrine - the Germans can nuke New Delhi - for example - and all the blame goes to Kali. Or to Kratos if they decide to nuke Athens... :p

Besides that I am really looking forward to DH.

Let's tease you all a bit. The Hammer of Gods, in addition to its other changes, does something related to nukes.

Then why is it in the German doctrine tree? :eek:

The question we all ask, what is the "Hammer of Gods" tactic?

Obviously the ability to have gods strike your enemies with lightning. See Thor

Last edited:
Let's tease you all a bit. The Hammer of Gods, in addition to its other changes, does something related to nukes.

In this case I withdraw my previous statement. I think I will wait until I see the details of the tech tree and the effects of the techs itself... and then complain about them ;)

The nuclear techs make me really really hopeful that we will finally see a better nuclear combat component to the game. Perhaps late WWII and Cold War scenarios could have an AI that might or might not go nuclear? Perhaps a nuclear targeting AI that would attack high value provinces? Or is it about the use of small tactical nukes that provide huge bonuses to your unit's ability to do damage, but at a terrible cost to provinces and dissent back home? Hopefully cool stuff approaches.

No anti-tank brigade, but a separate self-propelled AA brigade? Seems like an odd decision. Particularly since AT guns aren't really artillery.
Most of the changes seem reasonable and thought out, however. Especially the Armour Division tech.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll have to go research the Hammer of Gods tech...

How can AT give bonus to artillery brigades?!?!?!

Artillery in HoI2 represents heavy artillery with indirect fire ranges of 20km or more (100-200mm barrels). Anti tank represents direct fire weapons restricted by visibility and often limited to 1-2km or less due to penetration of enemy armor (30-100mm barrels).

These are not even the same kind of weapons dammit. The only thing they share is that they are both guns, its like you should merge Carriers with Battleships because well both are large and powerful ships!

AA and AT have ALOT more in common and if any brigades should be merged its these. Anyone how knows even the basics about WW2 and the German 88mm gun knows this.

Finally it's a disastrous decision both balance wise (as others have pointed out) and flavour wise since people will build nothing but artillery.

Artillery in HoI2 represents heavy artillery with indirect fire ranges of 20km or more. Anti tank represents direct fire weapons restricted by visibility and often limited to 1-2km or less due to penetration of enemy armor.
Finally it's a disastrous decision both balance wise (as others have pointed out) and flavour wise since people will build nothing but artillery.
I totally agree.