Darkest Hour - Dev Diary #10 - Improved Interface Part 2

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

^_AC_^

Field Marshal
86 Badges
Feb 24, 2009
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • War of the Roses
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury

One of our aims with Darkest Hour is to reduce the amount of time the player has to spend on useless tasks instead of having fun. A good example of this is new improved and automated Spying System we already talked about (see DD3 for more details). But obviously we did much more than that: today, we're going to talk about some the time-saving improvements in the interface.

First of all, in Darkest Hour the use of the SHIFT+ and CTRL+ shortcuts have been extended. As you already know, usually with SHIFT+ you add 5 items to the queue whereas with CTRL+ you add 10 items to the queue. The places where this was possible was limited, so we decided to expand its use. For example in the province interface it is now possible to add 10 levels of IC/AA/Naval Bases/Air Bases/Infrastructure/etc. in the Production Queue with a single click!

Moreover, we've added a new shortcut: SHIFT+CTRL+click will now add the maximum possible amount of items! You will be able to queue 99 convoys with just one click! But let's forget about this for a while, we'll get back when we'll talk more about production. ;)

A new interesting feature is the multiple deployment of divisions. If you have a long list of divisions in your deployment pool and you don't want to waste your time deploying each of them separately, you can now simply press CTLR+click to select/deselect them. Moreover, if you press SHIFT+click over a division it will automatically select all divisions of the same model (infantry, motorized, interceptors, CAS etc.). And if you press CTRL+click over a division it will automatically select all divisions of the same type (which means land, naval or air units). But this is not the end: after selecting the divisions, there will be a new screen where you can choose to add these divisions to an existing unit or deploy them in a specific province. Nothing new? Wrong, there is a new trick! The game will automatically group together units of the same model creating groups (but if you want them separated you just have to press SHIFT). By default land units are placed in groups of three, air units in groups of 2 and naval units in groups of 6, bu this value is moddable in misc.txt for each unit type. So for example if you have 7 land divisions, the system will automatically separate them in 3 units: the first two unit will have 3 divisions each and the third unit will get 1 division. You can them easily deploy these three units in a specific province. If you want 7 different units each composed by a single division you'll only have to press SHIFT.

Now it may sound a bit too complex, but trust us: it is a really useful feature, you'll love it! :)

Another improvement that you will surely appreciate is the merging of the terrain and the weather map. This option is initially disabled, but all you have to do is right-click on the pause button and you can enable it. As you can see from the screenshot below, the terrain map will now display the clouds from the weather map and two new small icons to represent mud and frozen terrain. Very useful when you are executing Operation Barbarossa! :)

As you might have spotted in the screenshot above, there is also another option: you can hide icons and units from view in the diplomatic mode! Take a look at how the diplomatic map may look with this new feature:

And finally, we made some cosmetic changes to the economic map: the units are hidden and the icons are grouped together:

We hope you'll appreciate these new features! Come back again next week!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad at all!
I'm not-so-convinced by these dozens frost icons on the mix-map though - could you try out some kind of horizontal stripes before you decide? :)

What's the button on the province view, under the Airfield one?

Not bad at all!
I'm not-so-convinced by these dozens frost icons on the mix-map though - could you try out some kind of horizontal stripes before you decide? :)

It's moddable ;)
If you have made a nice icon that would look better feel free to send it to us.

D'oh! I knew I was forgetting something! :p

Could you give us an option to show weather on the political map? It's the map I use most when I play.

Could you give us an option to show weather on the political map? It's the map I use most when I play.

Unfortunately that will be very hard to implement. Since you would have to include the weather patterns, frozen status markers and in the meantime try to coordinate armies and look for enemy troops, it would be a mess. The terrain mapmode is usually the "planning" mapmode anyway. But if we come across a solution, I'm sure the people who take care of the coding will try to make the game experience as pleasant as possible.

It's moddable ;)

Well, I wasn't thinking of an icon, rather on a different surface colour - or a mix of colours. e.g. just a bit brighter province or with thin white horizontal stripes.
I'm glad it's moddable though.

Not bad at all!

It's moddable ;)
Or for that matter, if you have a better icon to replace the beach icon that keeps getting mistaken for a flag, send it in too.

Very useful improvements, especially the ability to merge with the weather map.

Just noticed that Poland's got cores on Allenstein. Why? This area had a vote after the Treaty of Versailles on joining Poland and the results were overwhelmingly against joining, just a few very small border areas did.

Same for the cores on Ukraine. These areas aren't even Polish, in fact 1/3-2/3 of Poland after 1920 wasn't Polish. IMO these should be claims, not cores, but I can always mod it myself if you don't see my logic. ;)

Very useful improvements, especially the ability to merge with the weather map.

Just noticed that Poland's got cores on Allenstein. Why? This area had a vote after the Treaty of Versailles on joining Poland and the results were overwhelmingly against joining, just a few very small border areas did.

Same for the cores on Ukraine. These areas aren't even Polish, in fact 1/3-2/3 of Poland after 1920 wasn't Polish. IMO these should be claims, not cores, but I can always mod it myself if you don't see my logic. ;)

This is true. Essentially cores will have to be modified to claims for quite a few countries, now that such an option is possible. Large swaths of Belarus were also claims, rather than cores in Poland. All German cores on Polish lands will also have to be switched, as will Elsass and Lothringen and all non-sudeten Czech lands. The Soviets ought to lose quite a bit of cores. I guess this would affect balance, though, so should be left to mods.