• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

That was all I could say when I saw the first post of this thread.

Just came back to get back into MP but reckon that this post will be my last ever on this forum since I see no need for MP after this. You were a rare person in MP, one of the very few with character and personality.

Life indeed is black and white and there can be no in betweens.

jag saknar dig

B.I.P. DA

omg.....

R.I.P Daniel, I've always admired you but only played with (or against) you as a sub and when you joined History Channel for a time. I feel there are`no players that were as commited to the MP as you and this is a huge loss for the EU2MP

I cannot say I knew you but we chatted sometimes and too bad it came to this :(

Truly my saddest moment on these forums. It seemed impossible to me that one of the people i played and had fun with could be no more.

Rest in peace Daniel, you will surely be remembered..

Dear Jan,...

...please accept my condolences as you mourn your recent loss. I believe the testimonials on this thread bear witness to the richness that Daniel brought to your life.

Please accept this elegy in tribute to Daniel's warrior spirit. I believe he would have appreciated its meaning.

Sweet to ride forth at evening from the wells
When shadows pass gigantic on the sand,
And softly through the silence beat the bells
Along the Golden Road to Samarkand.

Heia, heia Safari!

I would've loved to have talked to Daniel and heard what he sounded like. He asked me a couple months or so ago if I had teamspeak, I of course never got around to getting it- I'm too cheap and poor in general, not to mention lazy.

Even so, he left an extremely unique impression on me. "Internet personality" or not, he has, like many I've gotten to know on the boards and in the games and on ICQ, become a true friend, somebody who I've thought about in my free time, spent as much time with as anyone, bashing heads or plotting strategy. He's affected who I am today in a positive way.

It's hard to explain exactly. I guess, I understand his type of personality better than I did before, and have come to respect it more, to emphasize with him. Seeing his pictures though and the videos on the Bridge website brings forth a whole new angle- for a long time my mental picture of him was Eugene Levy, and then, as I got to know him better, that image disappeared and was replaced with the simple letters of his name as displayed on ICQ in red "Daniel A". Just that, and for the past day, as the memories came back, that has been running through my head, the conversations we had- how can I let that go all of a sudden? ICQ even says he's still online.

He looks like he was a very fun-loving guy IRL, the pictures really soften the upright, humorous but firmly ideological ICQ image, or the somewhat vague, always proper english using schoolteacher image I usually had of him. Where do we go now? How do we deal with this loss? I don't know if it has even struck me fully, I know I'm going to be missing him even more later on whenever we have a TOS2, or just randomly, I'm not going to be able to escape the memory of him, nor would I ever want to.

I wish I would've gotten to know him more outside the context of Eu2. In that niche, all I can say is that he was a great player, not necessarily the deadliest, but he was certainly one of the nicest, and no mean competitor either.

I just noticed a cigarette in his hand on one of his pictures. Well, I think that does explain it. It's not exactly a shot in the dark if you smoke, health-conscious or not.

I'm going to start a separate thread in OT about this. I don't intend to let tobacco become the focus of *this* thread.

Anti-smoking tirade

Last edited:
I heard about this yesterday in IRC. My condolences.

I never knew him, but Rest in Peace Daniel Auby.

Friend is perhaps too big of a word for someone whom I've never met... But with many dozens of hours spent playing together, it still feels like you know eachother. Daniel, you will be missed. Rest in Peace.

Daniel, we had our share of disagreements, but despite them, I respected you very much. You'll be missed. Take care.

RIP Daniel...

OMG! I just clicked in King John's thread in the OT and got the news.

I really don't know what else to say but I'll miss him. Rest in peace, Daniel A.

Out of the blue!!!!

:(

Rest in peace Daniel. May the godess of luck be with you on your voyage.

Ive been on ts with Daniel, and I must say I was so happy as he had that perfect Dutch accent, like when people have a particular "accent" in mind for a certain country his accent was what I had in mind and was pretty happy when it was what I was hoping for.

I only was aware of Daniel through seeing his posts on the forum. However, I was able to note his thoughtfulness when he sent flowers to the Paradox team upon announcement of EU3 back in early 2006. Coincidentally, I was browsing through early EU3 threads such as Susana's thank you thread to Daniel for the flowers before I came upon this thread. Rest in peace. :(