• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rest in Peace, Daniel

You were so active and energetic to stay on right principals, always reliable and intellegent player. I`m honoured that despite we could have different positions in argue sometimes, but we always respected each other without any minor emotions.
Thank you a lots for what you made for our community and for playing with us. We will miss you.

Anton

rest in peace daniel

One of best players I played with, he was great as a player, and as a man. When most people tried to use new players to their advantage, you offered advice and guidance. We've had our share of chats on ICQ and in games, and I've always admired you.

I'm really sad you're gone.

Rest in peace Daniel, you'll be remembered.

FJ! said:
Damn.. That's quite a shock, and unexpected.

Was he ill?

Rest in peace, Daniel.

I do not know what happened.
We missed him on tuesday evening at the bridge game.
On wednesday I called his office and they missed him too.
So I called a friend living close to him who went over and found him dead on the floor in his house.
I think it must have been on midsummer eve, june 21st or something, the reaper came.
Most likely a stroke or heart failure or similar.
Very odd as Daniel always took extreme precautions for his health.
Like a lightning from a clear blue sky to all his friends.

Jan

Jan_L said:
So I called a friend living close to him who went over and found him dead on the floor in his house.
I think it must have been on midsummer eve, june 21st or something, the reaper came.

Jan
I remember him talking about having gone to the doctor to check up his heart the last session we played together, so it makes sense i suppose. :(

Jan_L said:

Jan
I talked to him late on the night to sunday. I remember he just got home and I contacted him to say I couldn't play the day after. He asked why and so on. I asked him what he was doing up so late (this was around 1:30 in the night) and he said he just got home. :confused:

And then the day after when he didn't show up for the game i tried to contact him on his cellphone (which was turned off).

:(

There's forty shillings on the drum
For those who volunteer to come,
To 'list and fight the foe today
Over the Hills and far away

O'er the hills and o'er the main
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain
King George commands and we obey
O'er the hills and far away

When duty calls me I must go
To stand and face another foe
But part of me will always stray
Over the hills and far away

If I should fall to rise no more
As many comrades did before
Then ask the fifes and drums to play

Then fall in lads behind the drum
With colours blazing like the sun
Along the road to come what may

Rest In Peace Daniel.

*Looks at Gaius Marius signature on Blood & Iron forums*

I am fairly certain that I have watched the books and read the Sharpe TV series far before he did.

Over the last couple of days ive been really busy, so i havent had the time (first actual 8 to 5 work ever, poor little academic Mulli :)) to let this all sink in.
Thing is, i havent experienced death in my life, except for a grandfather many years ago, and it becomes even more surreal when it happens across a computer screen. Daniel called me a friend, but i have always had a problem with online friendships. If you havent spoken and heard his or her voice, or met him or her face to face, how can you possibly know who this person is?
Add to this my fear of being too stuck in the online world and its friends, so that you dont want to go out into the "real world" and its "real" friends.

Yet he had an extraordinary personality. Set in his ways, yet almost always in the right when he put his foot down, he gathered many indignant players against himself. But there were also people that respected him for his incorruptibility and morals. During the time he played in the community, eu2 MP changed. He ushered in discipline which had been missing for years; it was once more obvious that people should arrive on time for sessions and take their responsiblity for the game's survival. Daniel was confident that is was possible to win in this game, which was one reason for him to come up with the Power Ratings of the stats thread. He was also a wizard at the engine, creating massive economic empires that few could oppose. In the last game i played with him, he already had victory in hand after the first couple of sessions, thanks to a faultless cooperation with Portugal as Spain. There are few Spains in the history of eu2 that have been played to such a level. You could say the same of his Sweden, OE, Moldavia etc..

Recently, in the Swedish game, we started talking over Teamspeak, so the players could hear each other's voices. Aside from raising the effiency of the sessions, the players also became more like real human beings. I had spoken to Daniel over a period of years and even though i refrained from calling an online "acquaintance" a friend, he had become quite the permanent personality on the boards i frequent so much. When you talk directly to someone, instead of through the key-board, many misunderstandings dissapear. It was now quite obvious that the rough, controversial Daniel A that many players had reacted and even flamed against, was not the true person. This was a funny old man (compared to my own age at least :)), highly intelligent, educated and extremely easy to talk to.

So in the end, i suppose i saw him as a friend.

Rest in Peace, Daniel A. We will miss you.

Daniel was one of the most reliable EU2 players I've ever known. Though I have had my share of disagreements with him the past, he was a nice chap and had my respect.

Rest in peace.