• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

R00K

Corporal
38 Badges
Jul 22, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities in Motion
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
Hi all,

I'd like to take a crack at modding the current portraits - minor changes to facial hair, hair, etc. I'd be willing to release it when its done, but I need some help with some problems.

I changed facial hair a little to include wilder/fuller mustaches, fewer pointy(Korean nobility) beards, etc. Now the portraits are black. What am I doing wrong? I'll keep working on it and update if I figure out how I'm breaking it.

Cheers

Edit - figured it out. Was either the layers or the mipmap check box. Works now.

Last edited:
Here is a composite of some hair and facial hair contributions. I have eliminated a beard or two, added a shadow, some Kurosawaesque 'staches and a wild beard. I removed the parted hair outright, added a thinning head of hair, modified some others including adding a touch of grey. I've also started on the eyes by darkening eyebrows and increasing the depth of bags.

I've numbered them so that the top image is A-1, the image to its left is B-1, etc.

Feedback and ideas with sources much appreciated.

Faces1.jpg

R00K, those look just fabolous! Hope you finish them all and relase them for the public use! This is so great! Sengoku was sorely missing 2D graphical changes!!!

Can you also change building icons to be more plausible then current stock ones?

I have smartened up a little and created a layered composite of all of the options. Below is a jpeg of one set of combinations. I've changed all of the larger/squarer chins, darkened the area around some of the eyes, altered some lids, altered some eyebrows to give them more depth.

Any requests?

heads2.jpg

Attachments

• Heads.jpg
    Heads.jpg
    170,7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
R00K, those look just fabolous! Hope you finish them all and relase them for the public use! This is so great! Sengoku was sorely missing 2D graphical changes!!!

Can you also change building icons to be more plausible then current stock ones?

Thank you for the feedback. I hope to finish with male heads today or tomorrow. I'm learning as I go. If you have source images of what you would like the icons to look like, please provide links.

I've attached a composite of the component parts that are mixed and produce the many different appearances in game. The top is the original, the bottom is the mod. I would like some suggestions while I work on making this into a mod, which I will post when it is ready.

The purpose of the mod, initially, was to change the facial hair. As things progressed, I wanted to add some undesirable traits and increase the variety or extremes a little from the original.

Changes made:

Facial Hair: Complete redo
Hair: Several changes
Eyes: Heavier brows, minor changes to lids - above and below
Noses: Minor changes
Foreheads: Added some variety
Chins: Removed square jaw/large chin, minor changes
Cheeks: Softened the shading, minor changes
Clothes: Changed 3 outfits for my personal preferences

Composites Comparison.jpg

I'm having trouble using this as a mod. If I replace the game files, everything is fine. Using the files as a mod does not. I see it in the launcher and can select it, but no changes are made to the game.

The mod includes the following:

The .mod file

PHP:
name = "R00K's Portrait Mod"

extend = "gfx"

The folder: RPM/gfx/characters/japanese_male (the new dds files)

I select the mod from the list and...nada.

What am I overlooking?

Cheers.

I'll notify chatnoir17 about your current issue and also about your request for graphical material (which I don't have at hands).

MIH mod has a folder called "Monumenta Iaponiae Historica" (without the ") where all modified files are and "Monumenta Iaponiae Historica.mod" file. Folder and .mod file probably need to have the same name?

Thank you Hister.

I've been tinkering and wonder if it is the dds files rather than the mod file. I dropped the "characters" folder containing the "japanese_male" folder which contains .dds files into the gfx folder of the "Monumenta Iaponiae Historica" mod folder because the rest of the mod loads fine. The portraits did not change.:angry:

There may be something wrong with how I saved the .dds files; file size, missing parameter, etc., that prevents Sengoku from using them. However, if I overwrite the game files, it's fine.

I'd be happy to release the .dds files to the MIH folks to use if someone can figure out why the files don't replace the vanilla files when part of a mod.

I'm going to start the female portraits soon.

Should I start a proper [Mod] thread to release the files, keep track of versions, etc.? That is my feeling.

Do start your own modding thread in the mods section yes.

Maybe the issue with game not wanting to read your modified file/s is just in the game itself. I have no issue copying over the vanilla content your modded graphics if it can't be done via proper mod folder.

In order to get a definite answer you should contact one of the game developers via PM who regualrly lurk on these forums.