• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiser_Mobius

General
3 Badges
May 21, 2007
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • 500k Club
Hello there. I recently played a campaign as russia in the excellent MDS mod, and thought that it would make a pretty good AAR. I have seen many other MDS aar's recently, and thought I would take a shot at one myself. I hope you all enjoy reading it.

Setup:
Modern Day Scenario v1.5
difficulty/aggressiveness: normal/normal

mods:
-Industry costs 4ic each and builds in approx. 255 days, and when completed creates 1ic instead of the default MDS setting of 0.5ic. I am hoping that this way, many countries including my own will be able to fight with large amounts of fairly expensive units.
-lots of sprites that I found floating around on the internet.

cheats:
nofog, so I can see if the other nations' AI's are doing anything stupid, and because I hate the fog of war. Besides, its the modern era, and Russia does have spy satellites.

With that out of the way, lets begin!

When the new Russian Federation was proclaimed in december of 1991, it had been turned into a shadow of its predecessors, the Soviet Union and the Russian empire. Many of its territories had fallen away from its control, and some of them, such as Georgia, the Ukraine, and the Baltics, were actually coming under the orbit of the western powers, and especially the united states, who now rule the earth with complete disregard to international laws.

It is now march of 2003. The US and its allies have begun their adventure in Iraq, and new powers, such as China and India, have begun to grow in strength. Russia has recovered somewhat from the economic turmoil and military stagnation of the 1990's, but there is still much to be done. The time has come for Russia to raise like a Phoenix from the ashes, to reassert its power on the world stage, and eventually, replace the United States as the worlds sole superpower. Once again, nations will tremble before the might of a new Russian Empire!

There were a spate of MDS AARs recently but they seem to have disappeared :)confused: ). Hopefully this one won't go the same way. ;)

The Russian federation in 2003. Its borders stretch from belarus and the ukraine to the west, all the way to the far east coast of the pacific ocean. Although large, much of its former territory now consists of independent republics, who will soon, need to be brought back into the fold.
russiamarch2003.png

The russian government, led by President Vladimir Putin and his cabinet, which begins to shift russian policies to a much more interventionist stance.
russiangovt.png

Russian scientists and businesses begin new research into new technologies for the russian army, airforce, and the russian manufacturing sector.
startingresearch.png

Putin orders a massive redeployment and reorganization of the russian army, to meet the new threats it now faces.
redeployment.png

At the same time, a massive boost to the countries manufacturing sector is ordered, to help the economy grow and allow Russia to manufacture new civilian products, as well as weapons.
economicgrowth.png

The world of 2003 is a dangerous place, with many areas ready to flare up into open conflict. In the middle east, the Jewish state of Israel stares down its arch rival Syria, over control of the strategic Golan Heights, which Israel conquered in the 1967 war. Both sides are supported by massive amounts of foreign manufactured weapons, such as bombs and fighter aircraft for Israel and tanks and anti aircraft weapons for Syria.
mideastweapons.png

The Korean peninsula is also another world hot spot, with both sides possessing enough firepower to turn the peninsula into the moon on earth within minutes of an outbreak of hostilities. North Korea especially so, with a massive army and reserve force that is armed to the teeth with numerous tanks, artillery, and aircraft.
dprkarmed.png

09nkorea_600_1.jpg

In Iraq, coalition forces, lead by the United States and Great Britain, smash through Iraqi defenses and begin their drive to the capital baghdad. They claim to be fighting for Iraqi freedom, but many suspect that they simply want control of Iraq's substantial petroleum resources.
iraqwar.png

American tanks charge through the Iraqi desert.
800px-DN-ST-92-07834.jpg

So it begins. But what threats can Russia possibly face around Mozhaisk? ;)

Great, another Russian AAR!
I know I haven't updated my AAR for a long time because of technical problems and I apologse for this.
Btw, where did you get those super-cool sprites?
From MDS team or are those some other sprites on diffrent pages?

@Myth: Mozhaisk is the rallying point comrade!

@Asalto&qwertyuiop2: Most of the sprites I use I found here.http://www.heartsofiron.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=6724&start=180 Some of them you might have to rename to get them to work properly.

Now time for an update.

The Russian government decides to table legislation instituting a new military draft for all men and women over 18 years of age, who will serve in the Russian military for at least 3 years each. This ensures a steady new flow of recruits to fill the ranks of the Russian armed forces.
draft.png

Chinese businesses are talked into investing large amounts of money into the Russian government and businesses. In exchange, the Russian government signs new oil and gas deals with the Chinese government.
chineseinvestment.png

In Iraq, US and British troops continue their march north, brushing aside any resistance the Iraqi army and the Republican Guard can offer. The Iraqi's simply have no answer to the coalitions huge advantages in airpower and technological superiority.
iraqicollapse.png

T-55_Iraq_02.jpg

The Russian army finishes its reorganization into individual Headquarters units and 3 division corps sized formations. They are then given orders to take up positions along the Ukrainian and Georgian borders.
marchingorders.png

The Chinese announce their massive "Zheng He" naval armament program, designed to give the Chinese enough naval military power to not only secure the taiwan straight in the even of war, but to even challenge the US navy on the high seas, a very ambitious goal.
zhengheplan.png

In Iraq, it does not take long for the Iraqi army to completely collapse, abandoning its equipment and melting back into the population. US troops then roll into the capital almost unopposed.
800px-UStanks_baghdad_2003.jpg

It does not take much longer for the Iraqi army and government to surrender to the United States. Saddam Hussein disappears, and most of the Iraqi leadership flees to Syria. In a speech on an American aircraft carrier in the Persian gulf, US President George W Bush declares total victory.
iraqsurrenders.png

SaddamStatue.jpg

The entire russian navy is organized in the northern port of Murmansk for reorganization. On paper, the Russian navy is an extremely potent force, possessing an Aircraft carrier along with many heavy missile cruisers and nuclear submarines. But against the navies of the other great powers, this force is completely out of league. Most of its ships are old, barely operational vessels from the times of the Soviet navy, and training along with maintenance are badly needed. Putin orders that in the future, Russia will construct a potent fleet based around heavy surface units, backed up by land based naval aviation assets that could be useful in destroying Aircraft carriers.
russiannavy.png

The sprites you use are amazing! I'll be following this keenly.

165 Flotillas? :eek:

He probably stacked them up for organization. I do this often with land units before starting a large campaign. Reassigning appropriate divs to appropriate generals according to where they will be headed to.

Awsome!!

@Jonlucero: exactly. I like to gather all of my ships and then divide them up into smaller groups, handpicking my admirals and sending them off to different regions. I like to do the same with armies as well as air forces.

About the sprites: check my second update.:)

@Undead-Hippie: I plan to wait until the annexation of belarus to begin my reconquest, which should be around summer 2005. My first targets will be the Ukraine and Georgia, then I will pick off the central asian republics one by one until I reach the afghan/iranian border. After that, I might either invade Iran, invade the baltic states and finland, invade mongolia, then prepare to take on either the Chinese or the European Union.

I have played into summer 2004, so expect an update later tonight when I finish work.

I'll subscribe. I like what you have done so far, you have alot of FM and Generals though, a shortage of lower ranks or what??

@ Merlowe: Have you renamed some of the sprite tags in the country.csv file? For MDS, the default for all countries is SOV. Try changing them to USA or GER.

@Maj. von Mauser: I have a fairly large amount of leaders, but I like putting generals in command of my 3 division corps. My Field Marshalls mostly command those solitary HQ units I have. I have tons of other military leaders, but most of them dont have leaderpics.

@gunneroid:Try looking at the names for MDS's default aircraft sprites. That should hopefully give you a good idea of what to do.

Now as promised, an update.

The Russian government sanctions the construction of a new hydro electric powerplant, despite protests from some small environmentalist groups. A few trees are not as important as bringing clean power to peoples homes.
hydropower.png

In Iraq, a war that was once thought to be a cakewalk has suddenly taken a dramatic turn. US troops on patrol in the region known as the "Sunni Triangle" suddenly find them selves more and more under attack by groups of heavily armed partisans. At first dismissed as being nothing more than "bitter enders" by people like the US secretary of defense, it soon becomes apparent that the US army is now facing a determined guerrilla resistance.
sunniinsurgency.png

cooljp70_4480694.jpg

Shortly after, members of Iraq's Shiite majority begin their own guerilla campaign, backed by weapons and money provided by Iran. The US army now finds itself in the middle of the largest guerrilla conflict since the Vietnam war. It is clear that the US is now in it for the long haul.
shiiteinsurgency.png

11975insurgents24112004ep0.jpg

Back in Russia, new factory complexes come online, greatly boosting Russia's economic power.
industry.png

The Russian government can now afford to fund research for another tech team.
4thtechteam-1.png

In Iraq, insurgents begin to strike hard. Hundreds of them now attack US troops head on in many parts of the country. In Basra, they directly face an entire US mechanized division.
insurgentuprising.png

iq_insurgent.jpg

They strike in other areas of the country as well, such as in Karbala.
attackinkarbala.png

Japan should soon become a commie, in fact, Japan's Communist Party today are raking up popularity. Or let the N. Koreans dow them..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.