Custom Character - How to avoid getting assassinated after sucession?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fabiano79

Captain
50 Badges
May 29, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
Not sure if more people are suffering with this, but every campaign I start using a custom character from the ruler designer I end up having my sucessors killed pretty fast. I tried everything I always do after a sucession (I place a skilled Spymaster that loves me to disrupt schemes, get rid of courtiers that hate me, distribute gifts to nobles etc), but it doesnt seems to work with the sons of a custom character. Sometimes I even get game over after all my sons are killed in a couple of months after my start character dies. Advices?

Do you select cultures and/or religions that differ from your vassals/liege's court? That can be pretty nasty.
If not, I sadly have no clue what could be causing it. Maybe they see an opportunity to gain the land for themselves if they notice they can end your line

• 1Like
Reactions:
Disrupting schemes isn't always the optimal to avoid being killed: use Discover Secrets against probable enemies and you'll actually have a good chance of busting them and replacing them with someone more amenable.

If you're being assassinated in a few months after succession, then probably the murder plot was started before the succession occurred. While you're still the old ruler, keep looking for plots to disrupt, and try to see what your heir is doing. Does your heir have any rivals? Any traits that are unpopular? Any ambitious pretenders? Any secrets? While your heir is just a courtier, he won't have dread. Other courtiers might fear acting against you, but they might not fear acting against your heir.

All the other responses are pretty helpful however a blatant way to survive is have three things on succession

1. A spymaster who is loyal to the successor with decent intrigue
  2. gold, make all your vassals friendly (only direct vassals, underlings usually dont act against you in my experience unless they are your rival)
  3. my personal trick, have a surplus of prisoners, even 3 year old can execute prisoners and get enough dread that no one will act against you. best to execute lowborns and foreigners so you don't piss off any related vassals.
Edit: In my haste i didn't read your post properly, i have personally noticed it is tough maintaining power as a custom ruler let alone their children.
For me this was due to wanting to have a Zunist guy in Zunbil but everyone hates him which is annoying.

Unfortunately without an established power base the third point is hard to enact but it would help if you manage to grab a few prisoners.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
my personal trick, have a surplus of prisoners, even 3 year old can execute prisoners and get enough dread that no one will act against you. best to execute lowborns and foreigners so you don't piss off any related vassals.
This is the best way IMO. Once you hit 100 Dread pretty much only those with the Brave trait will dare oppose you or scheme against you.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is the best way IMO. Once you hit 100 Dread pretty much only those with the Brave trait will dare oppose you or scheme against you.
Does this stop the plot if it's already been begun against you?

Does this stop the plot if it's already been begun against you?

I don't know for sure but I imagine it wouldn't; as such do this immediately in the first month of succession just to be sure.
I believe it does, but I'm not 100% sure.

It does not do this for factions, though. It usually takes a number of months for them to adjust to new Dread, so make sure you don't wait too long if you have factions against you. :)

Reactions: