• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TotalyMoo

Manager of Things
94 Badges
Jun 5, 2012
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Sengoku
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
Greeeeetings Chirpies and welcome to the first ever Grand CBC!

Let's keep things concise.

We want you to make a custom building or asset for the game. The winner(s) will receive awesome prizes.

Submit a building in proper format (with appropriate specifications) that can be uploaded into Cities: Skylines to apply to the competition.

More info here.

Rules & regulations:
1) No using trademarked logos or material
2) Must be your own original work
3) No potentially offensive or crude designs may be used for your entry
4) To apply you need to post in THIS THREAD with a minimum of one (1) image of your building
5) The competition starts at the time of this post and ends 15:00 CET March 8th - all contributions after this time do not qualify

Posts in this thread that are NOT contributions to the competition will be deleted.

The winner will be decided in two phases. First I will open a poll on the day the competition ends. This poll will run for 24 hours. The top 5 contributions will then be judged by a jury, consisting of myself, my evil alter ego and the metaphorical soul of Chirpy the Great. The judging trinity promises to not be biased, I like all of you equally. The winner will be announced latest 18:00 CET on March 9.

The amazing prizes!

• 1st place: a custom made totally unique t-shirt made by yours truly + a key to Cities: Skylines DDE
  • 2nd place: a lovely, affectionate, hand written letter from yours truly + a key to Cities: Skylines
  • 3rd place: a key to Cities: Skylines
You will need to be able to supply us with an address to qualify for the physical prizes.

Best of luck, may the greatest modder win!

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
will participate for sure, though 4 days might be a bit short for the "perfect buildings" you're aiming for ;)
just a couple of questions:
-just a 3D model (with textures)? fbx format, right?
-I haven't read anything about lods on the modding page, should it have lods?
-is there a polygon/triangle limit?
-the maximum sizes for manually sized buildings are kinda small. Can I seperate my building into 2 parts which form one building when you place them next to eachother?

Last edited:
Some more details about LOD's and poly counts from Henkka:

"Start with ~1000 triangles for buildings (can be fewer triangles if smaller building like a detached house - the fewer the better performance-wise), going up to 10K+ triangles for really big, monument sized buildings but don't go too far over 10K tris. LOD models need to be as few triangles as possible, maximum of 100. Keeping it below 100 tris guarantees it actually works. LOD model does not need to be textured but it needs to be UV-mapped. LOD filename should end with "LOD.fbx".

Textures required/supported:
- diffuse
- normal map
- specular (grayscale, 100% white is reflective glass windows)
- alpha (greyscale)
- colormask (grayscale, white colored areas mean they are affected by set variable colors - i.e. you want same roof color but different colored walls, make the colormask white on the wall areas of the building)
- illumination (grayscale, illumination color is taken from the diffuse map)

File format is FBX (usually with X-axis of the pivot, not the building itself, rotated 90 degrees due to Unity's coordinate system).

If you are creating buildings for zoned areas, keep them within the 4x4 cell size (one cell is 8m x 8m) - can be also smaller than such as 3x2 cells and so forth. Ploppaples can be obviously bigger but don't go overboard."

This is a 1x3 cell residential. Carport in front and some extra space in the back for a little yard.
fb0dd1d260.jpg
644bf22d2b.jpg

Here's my entry and first try with SketchUp. ~3500 triangles (so next time I'll try to keep the design it even simpler)

24brszd.jpg

15xade1.jpg

E. stupid user error...

1167 polys, 2300 tris (will probably end up around 2500 when finished). Can try to optimize by using an alpha texture for the wings (blades?) instead of modelling them but don't think that will look so good. 1024x512 texture maps. Still in draft stage.
According to CO on the latest AMA about modding on reddit, vertex animations are possible (in contrast to skeleton animations which are not) by using another animated building as template.
So I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can get the wings to turn :)
Need some specs about vertex animation to get going though (If I happen to win, I'd be happy to let forgo of my price in exchange for those specs ;)
rWXTlLT.jpg

BwFNdUa.jpg

A5ietgp.png

Last edited:
This is a modular house with panels that can be rearranged in any order to create a unique house. It fits 1x3 tiles. 540 tris
HW8EODE.png

8bqW9D7.png

Hi! Nice work!=)

I'm using or better, I would try to use sketchup too for make some models, but once i transform the sketchup file into a FBX file than i don't know what to do...the result it's not like your model, but it's gross, without texture exc...(i'm using Fbx Review to see how it looks).
Would you mind to make a little guide for who's like me it's a mess?

Thanks!!!=)

So:
10hours to make, i show you all the MASP - Museu de Arte de São Paulo (Art Museum of São Paulo)
Is a 1968 public building.

The model have 60m x 25m x 17,7m
A 8x4 Plop in game i presume.
Made in Autocad, Texturized and render in 3D MAX

i36251_01.jpg

i36252_02.jpg

i36253_03.jpg

i36254_04.jpg

i36255_05.jpg

Modern Concrete Office Building

A modern office building, that probably don't have much of space in the towers :happy:
Even with 4x4 cells they aren't very large. Tall tho, about 80 meters, I hope it's a good height, tried to look on some screens to find the proportions.
It have 1´323 triangles, the last picture have the topology. Only uses a diffuse, specular and normal map, also put them together to see, they are all 1024 resolution.
Probably gonna do a LOD model also, I don't think the inbuilt LOD converter gonna like my pillars and flaps :glare:

T3Eng0i.png

RykO6Nm.png

4QFoT9A.png

UHkW9tw.png

PIQYuqd.png

Forluz Building

The Forluz Building. Owned by the Pension Fund of the employees of the state owned electrical company Cemig.

Was completed this year (2015). Currently it's the biggest building in Belo Horizonte, the third largest city in Brazil.

It has around 130m.
6WfnrSR.jpg

mWePfjp.jpg

0JKuapU.jpg

zaCvWJR.jpg

4KEtpY3.jpg

1PRhNN5.jpg

wC2ZADL.jpg

A close-up at the entrance:
nSTwhjO.jpg

The big stairs and the handrail made with the opacity map:
j50Yggz.jpg

I haven't forgotten the entry of disabled people. :) A large ramp to access the entry:
cNj8M9n.jpg

The model has 2677 triangles.

For now, I just used the diffuse map and the opacity map. I'm waiting the game to test the look of the modded buildings ingame and then edit/make the other maps

Every person is king or queen in his or her house.

With this in mind I present you the unsiegeable Familiar Kingdom Household 3000, which combines modern minimalistic designs with efficient medieval defensive structures.
On its 8x16 m2 plus garden, or 2x2 standard squares area, the building includes a location designed for parking cars, charriots or stallions, as well as the must have in every strong castle: a three floors high stone homage tower.

Overwatch Kingly your lands from the highness of your very own citadel! No longer will enemies, street vendors, or annoying neighbours trepass your borders unnoticed!

Technical specifications:
Trees and floor not included
984 triangles.
Made with blender
Proved against peasant riots
Acquisition of the living place does not grant sovereignty

sMy2DoY.png
[/url][/IMG]

862Y23l.png
[/url][/IMG]

rzoIW4s.png
[/url][/IMG]

Forluz Building, around 130m. It's currently the biggest building in Belo Horizonte, the third largest city in Brazil.

6WfnrSR.jpg

0JKuapU.jpg

I did a bigger post, with more photos, but got stuck in moderation.

The lot has 11x12 cells, so it's plopped. Triangle count is around 2700.

Last edited:
Toolbox! The number one place to go when you're building your house on the newly purchased land in this magnificent new city. We have all you need. Power tools and planks included.
The building takes up a 4x4 lot, and there's enough space next to the building for a small parking area which will be added in the asset editor.

Main entrance, logo, and fire escape stairs.
259248c6b2.jpg

Goods bay.
690ea6eab4.jpg