Cursor locking for multiple monitors

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Werke

Recruit
Jun 12, 2021
Are there any planned updates to allow some sort of cursor locking for those of us that have multiple monitors? No offence but I don't get how you create a game that is built around continuous hovering of your cursor near the edges without thinking about a cursor lock - and then not fixing that for five years?

Reactions:
So I just checked and see what you mean, the curser does go onto my left or right screens while in full screen mode.....but I don't really thinks it's a big issue? The game continues to scroll in the right direction and a small move of the mouse centres the curser on my main monitor.

It might not be an issue for you, but it's bugging the heck out of me. Why? Because when the cursor escapes from the left or right corner I often end up closing my browser even though I was just supposed to click something in-game. That is super frustrating especially when I have multitudes of windows open for some research or am watching something in the background. Consequently, I usually just turn off my other screens while I'm playing HOI4, but I really don't think that should be the fix.

Also, as far as I know, the whole point of fullscreen mode - aside from the added immersion - is that the cursor is locked to the current screen. As of now, there's actually very little difference between the different modes; they're pretty much all the same.

The counter point is, of course, that people having a multi monitor setup do want (at times) to move the mouse outside of the game window and do something in another window. To, for example, use the browser to write a suggestion, create a bug report, or simply use the internet to get additional information, manage their media player or whatever else they fancy having multiple monitors for.

What you want is to block all this. So, if you want to pursue this, it should come, at the very least, with a button/checkbox/whatever that you can use to lock/unlock the mouse cursor.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The counter point is, of course, that people having a multi monitor setup do want (at times) to move the mouse outside of the game window and do something in another window. To, for example, use the browser to write a suggestion, create a bug report, or simply use the internet to get additional information, manage their media player or whatever else they fancy having multiple monitors for.

What you want is to block all this. So, if you want to pursue this, it should come, at the very least, with a button/checkbox/whatever that you can use to lock/unlock the mouse cursor.
You can alt-tab out of the game, just like you'd do on a single monitor setup to do those things.

Reactions:
You can alt-tab out of the game, just like you'd do on a single monitor setup to do those things.
That somewhat defeats the purpose of multi monitor setups. I find it totally annoying if I have to tab out of a game.

That being said, in First/Third person games I can understand that "catching" the mouse is required. And some old RTS that only scroll if you have the mouse exactly at the border of the (game) screen - that's not an isssue with HoI IV, though.
Any other game, please, release my mouse.

Reactions:

This would be a counterpoint if you had to choose only one, but it's not a counterpoint because many other similar games have an option for both. You can either have a fullscreen mode with a cursor lock or one without and I see zero reasoning here or elsewhere why this would not be applicable here.

Also applies to what Elektriz said.

• 2Like
Reactions: